User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    Ixxp
    Enneagram
    9 sp/so

Default Trans Fat Banned in US

As of June 28th, 2018, trans fat wll banned from most products. A good step forward in my eyes to prevent heart disease.

FDA Cuts Trans Fat in Processed Foods

Official Report:
    https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rogenated-oils
    Time's going to warn you with a whisper.
    Likes Norrsken, Tater liked this post

While this is a good thing, I wouldn't bank on it considering the Trump Administration and its attack on consumer protections.
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LSI None

The US is so transphobic, wooot!
    Likes /DG/, Maybe, Smilephantomhive, Norrsken liked this post

MBTI
    TNT

It will extend the lifespan of Americans

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    It will extend the lifespan of Americans
    I doubt it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Tilt, Lark liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

As much as I get the reasoning behind the ban, I can't really get a new ban because I support freedom on principle. That said, requiring "TRANS FAT" to be placed on containers containing items with trans fat in it would be an acceptable compromise.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by The Wailing Specter View Post
    As much as I get the reasoning behind the ban, I can't really get a new ban because I support freedom on principle. That said, requiring "TRANS FAT" to be placed on containers containing items with trans fat in it would be an acceptable compromise.
    Oy. Please read the FDA paper above. TRANS FATS have been on nutrition fact labels for years. It's not as simple as disclosure. No longer safe for use in any human food.

You may have seen the amount of trans fat listed on a Nutrition Facts label, but were uncertain why it’s there.

Trans fat intake has been linked to an increased risk of coronary heart disease by contributing to the buildup of plaque inside the arteries that may cause a heart attack. For this reason, the Food and Drug Administration requires that the trans fat content of food be declared on the Nutrition Facts label to help consumers determine how each food contributes to their overall dietary intake of trans fat. Many processed foods contain partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), the major dietary source of industrially-produced trans fat in processed food.

Now, the FDA is taking a step to remove artificial trans fat from the food supply. This step is expected to reduce coronary heart disease and prevent thousands of fatal heart attacks every year.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Merced liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Oy. Please read the FDA paper above. TRANS FATS have been on nutrition fact labels for years. It's not as simple as disclosure. No longer safe for use in any human food.
    I in read this article that certain foods will have different textures after the ban, and companies may replace it with something worse:
    7 Foods That Won’t Be the Same If Trans Fats Are Banned | TIME.com

If the food taste/feels different without trans fats, a black market for trans fats will arise. The USA has banned many substances, but if people want them, they are going to get them. While I'm supportive of efforts to greatly reduce trans fats in the food supply, I'm hesitant to support bans because I think there are already too many illegal substances people can be imprisoned for. Considering the relatively mild pushback in New York, however, I'm hopeful there won't be a trans fat cartel after this June. You never know with bans, however.

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I doubt it.
    It's depressing how fat and unhealthy Americans have become.... It's considered average and normal to be 15+ lbs overweight.
    Likes Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Meh they've already taken trans fats out of prettt much all the food here. Not a big deal to ban it honestly.
    Likes Avocado liked this post