• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trans Fat Banned in US

rav3n

While this is a good thing, I wouldn't bank on it considering the Trump Administration and its attack on consumer protections.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As much as I get the reasoning behind the ban, I can't really get a new ban because I support freedom on principle. That said, requiring "TRANS FAT" to be placed on containers containing items with trans fat in it would be an acceptable compromise.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As much as I get the reasoning behind the ban, I can't really get a new ban because I support freedom on principle. That said, requiring "TRANS FAT" to be placed on containers containing items with trans fat in it would be an acceptable compromise.

Oy. Please read the FDA paper above. TRANS FATS have been on nutrition fact labels for years. It's not as simple as disclosure. No longer safe for use in any human food.

You may have seen the amount of trans fat listed on a Nutrition Facts label, but were uncertain why it’s there.

Trans fat intake has been linked to an increased risk of coronary heart disease by contributing to the buildup of plaque inside the arteries that may cause a heart attack. For this reason, the Food and Drug Administration requires that the trans fat content of food be declared on the Nutrition Facts label to help consumers determine how each food contributes to their overall dietary intake of trans fat. Many processed foods contain partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), the major dietary source of industrially-produced trans fat in processed food.

Now, the FDA is taking a step to remove artificial trans fat from the food supply. This step is expected to reduce coronary heart disease and prevent thousands of fatal heart attacks every year.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oy. Please read the FDA paper above. TRANS FATS have been on nutrition fact labels for years. It's not as simple as disclosure. No longer safe for use in any human food.

I in read this article that certain foods will have different textures after the ban, and companies may replace it with something worse:
7 Foods That Won’t Be the Same If Trans Fats Are Banned | TIME.com

If the food taste/feels different without trans fats, a black market for trans fats will arise. The USA has banned many substances, but if people want them, they are going to get them. While I'm supportive of efforts to greatly reduce trans fats in the food supply, I'm hesitant to support bans because I think there are already too many illegal substances people can be imprisoned for. Considering the relatively mild pushback in New York, however, I'm hopeful there won't be a trans fat cartel after this June. You never know with bans, however.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doubt it.

It's depressing how fat and unhealthy Americans have become.... It's considered average and normal to be 15+ lbs overweight.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Meh they've already taken trans fats out of prettt much all the food here. Not a big deal to ban it honestly.

Lark

If it ever was.

Its only one of a bunch of additives and food production practices which are seriously suspect, I know more than one person who have become vegans or adopted largely raw diets because of concerns about the mass produced or sources foods.

A lot of the cheap foods are poisons and I've been of the opinion for years that this is all deliberate, a calculated risk even, how expensive would it be to carry on production knowing its making people ill versus how expensive would it be to pay the civil actions if they ever happen, or even malthusian practices supported by insiders.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Meh they've already taken trans fats out of prettt much all the food here. Not a big deal to ban it honestly.

I'm not worried. There will still be chronic lower respiratory diseases such as emphysema, accidents such as car accidents and drug overdoses, stroke, Alzheimer's, diabetes, the flu and pneumonia, kidney disease, suicide, septicemia, chronic liver disease and cirrhosis, hypertension, Parkinson's and lung diseases caused by external agents plus lack of care to kill plenty of Americans.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Could this mean a lard renaissance? :D

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am ok with this decision. There are some things that government should have a hand in banning that really shouldn't warrant a but muh constitution! kind of response. Trans fat fits neatly into that box.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm doubtful that this will produce anything too effective against the obesity issue, but I am excited to crack down on the shitty business practices the food industry got comfortable with. (And no, I'm not coming from a dumb "GMOs are bad" standpoint.) The simple fact that it's a realistic assumption that companies will just find something bad or worse to replace Trans Fat should be enough to show that there needs to be more checks in this area.

rav3n

Trans-fat is not banned. What's banned is artificial trans-fat (partially hydrogenated oils), not the natural occurring variety (conjugated linoleic acid) which is found in meats and dairy. PHO is bad, CLA is okay and even considered good by most. This distinction is very important since people go off the dietary deep end from stupidly oversimplified dietary advice and misinformation from regulators.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Coolness. Other countries have banned it first after all the scary research put forth into this issue, and so I'm actually happy that the U.S. is following closely behind. I think we're all better off chewing off the fat from other sources, and it'll taste better and be better for us in the long term, too. No vegetable oils or margarine, please.