User Tag List

123 Last

Default Does what you eat cause depression?

I'm watching a show this morning about possible connections between what food people eat and depression, did you know there are people who think that depression can be mitigated or overcome by what you eat?

Apparently there have been stories about connections (I suspect correlations) between vegetarianism, veganism, raw food diets and depression.

I think this may be a chicken and egg scenario and I also suspect that comfort food eating or poor diets can be and are linked to diabetes which is sometimes misdiagnosed as bipolar depression because some people manifest mood swings with rises and falls in blood sugars but what do you think?

Forbes August 2017 reported that vegetarians were twice as likely to suffer from depression, the TV show suggested that vitamins produced in animal products influence brain chemistry. Vitamin B12. It was suggesting that sea food and oily fish were what to eat. Also promoting green leafy vegetables and fruit, important for iron and B group vitamins for brain health. Obviously eating convenience and processed foods.

They had a guy who was a mental health worker who had suffered from depression.

It was interesting but the guy mentioned a belief that medication was influencing his mood, they talked about GI being crucial to mental health.
    Likes biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I think there can be a causal link between eating habits (as well as sleeping habits and excercise) and disthymia. Clinical depression though...I'm not convinced.

Another complicating factor is the correlation of low socio-economic status and poor diet in the Western world (i.e. the poor eating shitty food and healthy eating obsession being mostly a middle and upper class phenomenon). If you are poor, socially marginalized, might have bad access to mental and physical healthare and are possibly suffering from several comorbidities and generally under a lot of pressure, how can you pin down your depression to the fact that you are also eating cheap shitty junkfood?

As for the supposed correlation between vegans/vegetarians and depression - it is my personal impression (going simply by gut feeling and intuition here rather than any available data I'm aware of!) that this might also be down to a vague correlation between those lifestyles and neuroticism or a more limbic personality (<---- that's my potential contribution to the controversial beliefs threat )
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I think there can be a causal link between eating habits (as well as sleeping habits and excercise) and disthymia. Clinical depression though...I'm not convinced.
    No I'm not convinced either.

Another complicating factor is the correlation of low socio-economic status and poor diet in the Western world (i.e. the poor eating shitty food and healthy eating obsession being mostly a middle and upper class phenomenon). If you are poor, socially marginalized, might have bad access to mental and physical healthare and are possibly suffering from several comorbidities and generally under a lot of pressure, how can you pin down your depression to the fact that you are also eating cheap shitty junkfood?
    This this this. Shit food is cheap, I don't know when that fact is going to sink in for many people constantly asking the poor - what's your problem? Add the food deserts many live in (rural and urban), add smoking, inability to afford medication, rarely seeing a doctor and no mental health care.....seriously how would anyone escape even mild depression?

As for the supposed correlation between vegans/vegetarians and depression - it is my personal impression (going simply by gut feeling and intuition here rather than any available data I'm aware of!) that this might also be down to a vague correlation between those lifestyles and neuroticism or a more limbic personality (<---- that's my potential contribution to the controversial beliefs threat )
    I know a couple vegans, several vegetarians -I wouldn't call any of them depressed per se. I would say the vegans in particular have a tendency towards being anxious about their body image. They have some neurosis - a lot of disgust related issues. These are just people I know, not indicative of all vegans.

On the flip side, I have gotten more shit than I ever imagined from simply saying I'm eating less meat more often. I'm not bitching about your steak so fuck off insecure omnivores.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Saturn's Amethyst

I think what you eat can indeed influence your mood and outlook on life. I find when Im eating fresh fruits and veggies and meats I feel better mentally as well as physically than when I eat carbs or junk food but I wouldn't rule it as the sole factor in mental health or overall happiness but I think for some it can certainly help if you eat what is best for you.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Not getting the right food can make you tired or cause some other health problems which makes if difficult to do important task or hobbies you love which could possibly add to depression. I had a shit diet as a kid and young teen, I was tired all the time. I had less time for meaningful hobbies than I do now. I did feel better once I added more fruit to my diet.

It would make sense for low vitamin d to cause depression. Isn't that what causes SAD in the winter?

So yeah I think it is one of the many causes of depression at least for some people.

johari
    nohari
    Likes magpie, Xann, biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Not getting the right food can make you tired or cause some other health problems which makes if difficult to do important task or hobbies you love which could possibly add to depression. I had a shit diet as a kid and young teen, I was tired all the time. I had less time for meaningful hobbies than I do now. I did feel better once I added more fruit to my diet.

It would make sense for low vitamin d to cause depression. Isn't that what causes SAD in the winter?

So yeah I think it is one of the many causes of depression at least for some people.
    A drop in serotonin (reduced level of sunlight) causes SAD, at least that's the accepted cause. This is why light therapy helps much of the time. But low Vitamin D levels cause a host of issues as well, many can overlap with SAD.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Tater liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Thanks for posting this - it's absolutely true and helpful in many cases. Folic acid isn't just for pregnancy and spinal bifida prevention.
    Likes Tater liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    A drop in serotonin (reduced level of sunlight) causes SAD, at least that's the accepted cause. This is why light therapy helps much of the time. But low Vitamin D levels cause a host of issues as well, many can overlap with SAD.
    Sunlight gives off vitamin D.

johari
    nohari
    Likes magpie, Xann, biohazard, Tater liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi

Why is this in politics, history, and current events?
    Likes Xann, biohazard, Bella the Cat liked this post