User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    On the flip side, I have gotten more shit than I ever imagined from simply saying I'm eating less meat more often. I'm not bitching about your steak so fuck off insecure omnivores.
    Weird. Isn't that what is always recommended? Less and higher quality instead of loads of low quality meat? Sounds like a great choice to me. No bitching from me, I can guarantee you, sounds like a very reasonable decision.

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    Yup! I know it sounds shocking and fishy but lemme reiterate!

So we absorb Vitamin D from skin synthesis or foods (ex: like mushrooms) due to the UVB radiation from the Sun. Human skin is technically the biggest organ of our body. So lets say the individual is standing on the grass. The sunlight is hitting the person AND the ground where their bare feet are connected to. The person's bare feet is protected by skin and the skin is absorbing the UVB radiation from the sun through a phenomenon called "Earthing".

Earthing is when the human body has direct connection to the earth (or ground) and absorbs the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. The bare feet absorbed like 10x the amount of Vitamin D (aka UVB radiation) from the sun when grounding occurred.

I won't go deeply into the study but here is a quote and link to it. Also, there have been links to barefoot running helping with depression because it promotes grounding/earthing and the increased reuptake of UVB radiation and Vitamin D hormonal synthesis in the body. So I definitely think that our environment is one of the factors to depression.:

SOURCE: Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons
    Thanks for your answer and the link. I honestly appreciate it. However, from everything I could gather, "earthing" is fringe science at best, so personally I am not at all convinced. On the other hand, there is no harm in barefoot walking which can indeed be pleasurable as long as you don't step on or into anything nasty. So no reason not to, I guess.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes biohazard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    Yup! I know it sounds shocking and fishy but lemme reiterate!

So we absorb Vitamin D from skin synthesis or foods (ex: like mushrooms) due to the UVB radiation from the Sun. Human skin is technically the biggest organ of our body. So lets say the individual is standing on the grass. The sunlight is hitting the person AND the ground where their bare feet are connected to. The person's bare feet is protected by skin and the skin is absorbing the UVB radiation from the sun through a phenomenon called "Earthing".

Earthing is when the human body has direct connection to the earth (or ground) and absorbs the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. The bare feet absorbed like 10x the amount of Vitamin D (aka UVB radiation) from the sun when grounding occurred.

I won't go deeply into the study but here is a quote and link to it. Also, there have been links to barefoot running helping with depression because it promotes grounding/earthing and the increased reuptake of UVB radiation and Vitamin D hormonal synthesis in the body. So I definitely think that our environment is one of the factors to depression.:

SOURCE: Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons
    This sounds shocking and fishy, because it's flagrent bullshit and wrong with no meaningful scientific basis whatsoever.

Vitamin D is synthesized in the body catalyzed by UVB radation. That bit is correct. We also intake it through dietary sources. It's well known that while we do get vitamin D through sun exposure, most individuals in the world get little through that as the sun's angle is too low in the sky to allow for efficient biosynthesis. And a large portion of the world lives above this critical angle for most if not all of any given year. That alone throws this "theory" out for a significant portion of the world right off the bat.

Next, the idea that a persons bare feet connected to the ground somehow boosts vitamin D synthesis is entirely hooey. There is no basis to the "theory" that physical contact with the ground increases vitamin D synthesis due to "electrons". That's just a bunch of jargon buzzword babble that means absolutely nothing and is just trying to pretend to sound "factual" (which it utterly fails at). The biosynthesis of vitamin D is well known, and the suggestion of adding "electrons" will somehow improve this synthesis doesn't even have a theoretical basis to it.

The basis of "earthing's" benefits most likely stems from psychological effects, similar to simply being in nature which does show some health benefits. That paper is also poorly written, and becomes readily apparent after skimming just a few paragraphs. The paper is at least partial (if not full) quackery. Just because you cite something, doesn't mean something becomes credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Thanks for your answer and the link. I honestly appreciate it. However, from everything I could gather, "earthing" is fringe science at best, so personally I am not at all convinced. On the other hand, there is no harm in barefoot walking which can indeed be pleasurable as long as you don't step on or into anything nasty. So no reason not to, I guess.
    If you want be nice about it sure, you can say this. "Earthing" can be psycholologically beneficial to some, but that's about it.
    Likes Ingrid in grids, Snow as White liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Weird. Isn't that what is always recommended? Less and higher quality instead of loads of low quality meat? Sounds like a great choice to me. No bitching from me, I can guarantee you, sounds like a very reasonable decision.
    Right but in the US, many who tend towards paranoid and fear, don't trust or believe anyone claiming expertise. They apparently do trust propaganda, fantastical scientific bullshit and con artist hawking their products to fix the problems. But they do have the god given right to critique others' diet choices, unsolicited.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Right but in the US, many who tend towards paranoid and fear, don't trust or believe anyone claiming expertise. They apparently do trust propaganda, fantastical scientific bullshit and con artist hawking their products to fix the problems. But they do have the god given right to critique others' diet choices, unsolicited.
    It might be a right, but that doesn't make it right. Such things deserve no respect. That's earned, not given.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My theory is that too much salt leads to depression.
    I have no basis for this except my own goings on....when I've had too much sodium I feel no good, not just in the physical sense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It might be a right, but that doesn't make it right. Such things deserve no respect. That's earned, not given.
    I was being sarcastic in that bolded quote. I mean anyone can certainly tell me what they think of my plate of food. Just like I can tell them to take this huge, healthy cucumber and shove it up their ass.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes N/A, Tilt, Snow as White liked this post

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Essentially, yes. Food is our fuel. If you don't consistently put quality fuel in, then it wears down the body quicker and causes bodily functions to become inefficient. However, each body has a slightly different balance to perform efficiently.
    Likes magpie, biohazard liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

most people think their mind was detached from the rest of the body
    Likes magpie, biohazard liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi

Came across this on yahoo and thought it was relevant to the OP and interesting food for thought, no pun intended.

Study provides new evidence of biological link between diet and depression
    Likes Xann, Tilt, ThomasISFP, Bella the Cat liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

There is probably an exercise or physical activity component to mood as well; when I was little, very little made me happier than nailing some slow poke in dodgeball - thwack!!
    Uncle Roger needs to stop picking on Jamie Oliver. I'm sure chili jam is delightful in egg fried rice.
    Likes Xann, magpie liked this post