User Tag List

First 1234 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Food can contribute to inflammation, and inflammation is implicated in depression.

So yes, it can potentially exacerbate it.
    Last edited by Stanton Moore; 02-03-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Likes biohazard liked this post

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу PumpkinMayCare's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    714 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

I am sure there are many physical reactions that a wrong diet can cause and it's easy to misinterpret the symptoms as depression, like Op said with the fall and rise of blood sugar, probably being pre- or already diabetic, but you only feel mood swings because of a bad diet, so you get a wrong diagnosis. That makes it hard to say what kind of food may be the most likely to be able to cause depression ... we do not know much about it yet. Additives (sometimes artifical colour in food too) have again and again been accused of causing all kinds of bad reactions, from causing allergies to even depression. But until now, there has never been any clear evidence found that this is true, so we don't know.
    I personally feel a huge difference between when I eat junk food or healthy food. I've heard that junk food makes some people feel sluggish and tired, I have never experienced this, most likely because I naturally have high energy levels, but when I am eating healthy I'm super super super energized. I do suffer from a histamine intolerance though, and when I had too much histamine, one of the symptoms I experience is getting into this really hyper mode, being extremely restless, while being totally airheaded. I observed my histamine-intolerance for years and kept a food-diary for three years and saw the direct correlation. I did some research on it and I can't remember the details anymore, but the conclusion was that too much histamine makes the body produce **less** of some hormone I can't remember the fkng name of, causing you to get light-headed and restless.

I wish we were all rose-colored too
    My rose-colored boy

You say, "We gotta look on the bright side"
    I say, "Well, maybe if you wanna go blind"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

There's certainly a correlation where eating better, getting regular exercise, having healthy sleeping habits etc. can help with the effects of depression. But ultimately, in order to cure depression you have to tackle the source - and that's different for everyone.

As for a poor diet causing depression - I don't really think so. I think that if you already are prone to depression, than having a shitty diet will certainly not help you, but that the depression would be caused by something else entirely.
    Likes Red Memories liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Not getting the right food can make you tired or cause some other health problems which makes if difficult to do important task or hobbies you love which could possibly add to depression. I had a shit diet as a kid and young teen, I was tired all the time. I had less time for meaningful hobbies than I do now. I did feel better once I added more fruit to my diet.

It would make sense for low vitamin d to cause depression. Isn't that what causes SAD in the winter?

So yeah I think it is one of the many causes of depression at least for some people.
    This is how I was before I learned that I was lactose intollerant. I drank milk all the time fir years so my stomach started ti get pissed iff by everything I ate. Eating anything made me incredibly tired at best. I’d make a good dinner and after eating would be too tired to clean it up. So mot only did I go to bed way too early but in the morning I was greeted by a mess in the kitchen. It became one miserable, hellish cycle.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    Sunlight gives off vitamin D.
    There is also Vitamin D from the earth. And in the winter, we're usually constantly covered in clothes and boots which protect us from the elements but also cover our feet. If you ever go to the beach or put your feet into grass and feel euphoric, that's actually your feet absorbing Vitamin D.

Vitamin D is also a fat-soluble vitamin, meaning that it needs fatty acids to be absorbed. Where do we get fatty acids? From the fatty food we eat: avocados, meat, poultry, olives, eggs, dairy, etc.
    Likes Yuurei, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    There is also Vitamin D from the earth. And in the winter, we're usually constantly covered in clothes and boots which protect us from the elements but also cover our feet. If you ever go to the beach or put your feet into grass and feel euphoric, that's actually your feet absorbing Vitamin D.
    Ehmmmmmm, no.

I'll just leave the link here: http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Yuurei liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

When I remember to take my multivitamin life is just generally better, but where I forget it begins to spiral downwards.
    “All men by nature desire to know” ~ Aristotle

If anything, my depression completely dissipated after I went vegan.

Diet probably correlates to an extent, but I don't think it necessarily has to do with vegetarian diets per se. If you eat like shit in any diet, then you eat like shit. I still get all the vitamins I need from plants except for B12, which I take as a supplement every once in a while. Besides that, B12 is mostly supplemented in a farm animal's feed due to a decline in soil quality, so essentially most people are getting their B12 artificially anyway, only it's through a dead animal. A person should probably be fine as long as they know what foods provide their daily vitamins and minerals.
    Likes magpie, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

I would say yes. You can get depressed for other reasons but eating habits clearly have the role in all of this. (especially if you get fat in the process).
    Likes biohazard, Xann liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ehmmmmmm, no.

I'll just leave the link here: http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
    Yup! I know it sounds shocking and fishy but lemme reiterate!

So we absorb Vitamin D from skin synthesis or foods (ex: like mushrooms) due to the UVB radiation from the Sun. Human skin is technically the biggest organ of our body. So lets say the individual is standing on the grass. The sunlight is hitting the person AND the ground where their bare feet are connected to. The person's bare feet is protected by skin and the skin is absorbing the UVB radiation from the sun through a phenomenon called "Earthing".

Earthing is when the human body has direct connection to the earth (or ground) and absorbs the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. The bare feet absorbed like 10x the amount of Vitamin D (aka UVB radiation) from the sun when grounding occurred.

I won't go deeply into the study but here is a quote and link to it. Also, there have been links to barefoot running helping with depression because it promotes grounding/earthing and the increased reuptake of UVB radiation and Vitamin D hormonal synthesis in the body. So I definitely think that our environment is one of the factors to depression.:

" However, emerging scientific research has revealed a surprisingly positive and overlooked environmental factor on health: direct physical contact with the vast supply of electrons on the surface of the Earth. Modern lifestyle separates humans from such contact. The research suggests that this disconnect may be a major contributor to physiological dysfunction and unwellness. Reconnection with the Earth's electrons has been found to promote intriguing physiological changes and subjective reports of well-being. Earthing (or grounding) refers to the discovery of benefits—including better sleep and reduced pain—from walking barefoot outside or sitting, working, or sleeping indoors connected to conductive systems that transfer the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. This paper reviews the earthing research and the potential of earthing as a simple and easily accessed global modality of significant clinical importance."
    SOURCE: Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons
    Likes magpie, Xann liked this post