• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reasons for yoga

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have just started to take yoga classes.
It is something called MOJO yoga if anyone was wondering.

Anyways I started to wonder about the reasons others do yoga. I started thinking in the context of the enneagram, but then my thoughts got wider.

So, for what reasons do you do yoga?

I will be a good sport and start.

I am doing it because I really like the stretched out feeling afterwards and the fact that I have real difficulties when it comes to living in the now.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
the fact that I have real difficulties when it comes to living in the now.

This. "It is difficult to attract our attention in the present moment", is what I used to say in the past. Later, I discovered that I can bring my awareness and train myself to do so, instead of subconsciously plotting future events and architecting the way they're going to play.

Otherwise, I meditate to further reinforce my stillness.

Ingrid in grids

I have just started to take yoga classes.
It is something called MOJO yoga if anyone was wondering.

Anyways I started to wonder about the reasons others do yoga. I started thinking in the context of the enneagram, but then my thoughts got wider.

So, for what reasons do you do yoga?

I will be a good sport and start.

I am doing it because I really like the stretched out feeling afterwards and the fact that I have real difficulties when it comes to living in the now.

I wouldn't really categorise yoga as a sport. In many ways, yoga is an anti-sport. (Sorry, I misread your OP.)

I think the greatest benefit of yoga is that it requires you to move and connect with your body in a way that more instrumental types of exercise do not. This brings a whole lot of physical benefits, but also many mental benefits. For this reason, it's also being increasingly introduced into therapy programs (psychological and physical).

I'm unfamiliar with MOJO yoga, but it sounds like a brand. There's many different styles of yoga. I've found that most gyms tend to offer either Vinyasa or a kind of Vinyasa-Hatha hybrid. Give different classes a try and find a style which works for you. Yoga is broad and inclusive. There's nothing to lose!

Regarding struggles with "living in the now," I've done yoga for many years, on and off, and I still struggle with this. I think all people do. I'm not really a very "present" person by nature. I'm quite absent-minded. At the core of yoga is openness and non-judgement. You're not doing yoga wrong if you're not "in the moment." It's more a constant practice of gently returning your attention to where you are, and when it wanders, observing it with openness and non-judgement.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This. "It is difficult to attract our attention in the present moment", is what I used to say in the past. Later, I discovered that I can bring my awareness and train myself to do so, instead of subconsciously plotting future events and architecting the way they're going to play.

Otherwise, I meditate to further reinforce my stillness.

I must say; I love your avatar.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't really categorise yoga as a sport. In many ways, yoga is an anti-sport. (Sorry, I misread your OP.)

I think the greatest benefit of yoga is that it requires you to move and connect with your body in a way that more instrumental types of exercise do not. This brings a whole lot of physical benefits, but also many mental benefits. For this reason, it's also being increasingly introduced into therapy programs (psychological and physical).

I'm unfamiliar with MOJO yoga, but it sounds like a brand. There's many different styles of yoga. I've found that most gyms tend to offer either Vinyasa or a kind of Vinyasa-Hatha hybrid. Give different classes a try and find a style which works for you. Yoga is broad and inclusive. There's nothing to lose!

Regarding struggles with "living in the now," I've done yoga for many years, on and off, and I still struggle with this. I think all people do. I'm not really a very "present" person by nature. I'm quite absent-minded. At the core of yoga is openness and non-judgement. You're not doing yoga wrong if you're not "in the moment." It's more a constant practice of gently returning your attention to where you are, and when it wanders, observing it with openness and non-judgement.

The MOJO classes are scripted by some companty, just like the bodybalance classes.

Unfortunately, the gym I attend only has two kinds of yoga, MOJO and yin yoga...

I too am absent minded. My fiveness is all too clear, its not even funny.

I have felt that the bodybalance classes have helped me connect to my body, so I am hoping yoga will help as well.

And I am trying to find ways to meet new people. That is another reason why I am trying out yoga.

I have been practicing yoga regularly for nearly five years now -- a variety of power vinyasa, hatha, and Ashtanga. I first started doing it out of curiousity and to search for an exercise I'd enjoy that wasn't overly strenuous, but still gave great benefits. After keeping a steady routine, I've found it became something even more than I initially expected and is now a part of my everyday life. The lessons it has taught me, the deep breathing and meditative qualities, learning to become more grounded and present, as well as improved flexibility and stronger muscles are all contributing factors I've gained from keeping up a regular practice.

That's not to say it has been super easy either, having hit road bumps and hiccups along the way as well. I've encountered injuries, some from overdoing certain poses, and had to learn to keep going regardless of the setbacks. Forcing myself to do modifications and not giving into my ego by learning to let go of my perfectionistic tendencies was an incredibly humbling experience. I've grown so much from doing so little.

Moreover, my experience has found its way into my everyday life as well. Yoga has played an extremely large part in diminishing my depression altogether, easing my anxiety, and getting through hardships at a much easier rate than I had ever imagined before. It's not merely through doing yoga itself, but from what I've obtained by doing yoga, and seeing the benefits in ALL aspects of my life. It has changed the person I once was into a more self-accepting, mindful, and peaceful individual that I am today.

Yoga is a journey that has even become somewhat like a religion to me. I love it because it incorporates the mind, body, and spirit all in one, and I really believe that in order to become healthy and at peace with life, it's very important to have those three aspects of the human condition regulated.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have been practicing yoga regularly for nearly five years now -- a variety of power vinyasa, hatha, and Ashtanga. I first started doing it out of curiousity and to search for an exercise I'd enjoy that wasn't overly strenuous, but still gave great benefits. After keeping a steady routine, I've found it became something even more than I initially expected and is now a part of my everyday life. The lessons it has taught me, the deep breathing and meditative qualities, learning to become more grounded and present, as well as improved flexibility and stronger muscles are all contributing factors I've gained from keeping up a regular practice.

That's not to say it has been super easy either, having hit road bumps and hiccups along the way as well. I've encountered injuries, some from overdoing certain poses, and had to learn to keep going regardless of the setbacks. Forcing myself to do modifications and not giving into my ego by learning to let go of my perfectionistic tendencies was an incredibly humbling experience. I've grown so much from doing so little.

Moreover, my experience has found its way into my everyday life as well. Yoga has played an extremely large part in diminishing my depression altogether, easing my anxiety, and getting through hardships at a much easier rate than I had ever imagined before. It's not merely through doing yoga itself, but from what I've obtained by doing yoga, and seeing the benefits in ALL aspects of my life. It has changed the person I once was into a more self-accepting, mindful, and peaceful individual that I am today.

Yoga is a journey that has even become somewhat like a religion to me. I love it because it incorporates the mind, body, and spirit all in one, and I really believe that in order to become healthy and at peace with life, it's very important to have those three aspects of the human condition regulated.

Letting go of perfectionistic tendencies sounds pretty wonderful.

Where do you draw the line between mind and spirit? I am curious because I have never really thought in those terms.

Where do you draw the line between mind and spirit? I am curious because I have never really thought in those terms.

The mind in connection to the spiritual is a large focal point in the kind of yoga that I practice. While the many modern forms of yoga today are largely concerned with the physical fitness aspect, its primary purpose was much greater -- to connect the mind, body, and breath together through a series of physical postures (asanas), meditation practices, and ways of living, thus leading to a deeper understanding of the true purpose of existence -- a union with something greater than ourselves. In fact, the very meaning of yoga is derived from the Sanskrit verb 'yuj,' meaning 'to unite' or 'to yoke.'

Even though yoga has Hindu origins, its approach to life is meant to be universal and easily accessible for anyone. Overall, it's essentially a form of meditation while doing poses that may be deemed uncomfortable by the practitioner. You'd have to train your mind to overcome the power of the senses.

I think Kino MacGregor said it best in this blog post of hers years ago, so I'll repost it here:

Kino MacGregor said:
If you come to the practice of yoga looking only for pleasure, yoga will eventually disappoint you. Sooner or later, you’ll get bored with the practice or you will experience pain or discomfort in a posture you previously found fun. The basic lesson of this centuries-old science of self-exploration is that if you heed the call of pleasure and pain, you will always be a slave to the sensory experience.

If you instead learn to train the mind to be present, focused and equanimous regardless of the inevitable vicissitudes of life, then you will gain your freedom and ultimately experience your limitless, powerful higher self.

Sincere spiritual investigation is a journey to your center. Along the road, all of your attachments and aversions will be challenged. Everything you know yourself to be will be questioned. It’s not for everyone.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The mind in connection to the spiritual is a large focal point in the kind of yoga that I practice. While the many modern forms of yoga today are largely concerned with the physical fitness aspect, its primary purpose was much greater -- to connect the mind, body, and breath together through a series of physical postures (asanas), meditation practices, and ways of living, thus leading to a deeper understanding of the true purpose of existence -- a union with something greater than ourselves. In fact, the very meaning of yoga is derived from the Sanskrit verb 'yuj,' meaning 'to unite' or 'to yoke.'

Even though yoga has Hindu origins, its approach to life is meant to be universal and easily accessible for anyone. Overall, it's essentially a form of meditation while doing poses that may be deemed uncomfortable by the practitioner. You'd have to train your mind to overcome the power of the senses.

I think Kino MacGregor said it best in this blog post of hers years ago, so I'll repost it here:

I will have to think a bit about that.
It sounds a lot like an increase in will power.

I will have to think a bit about that.
It sounds a lot like an increase in will power.

Everything takes willpower though. Exercising, working, doing anything we don't want to do, etc. Willpower goes hand-in-hand with mindfulness. Also, think of it as a muscle that can be strengthened over time. Yoga helps in cultivating it. :)

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Everything takes willpower though. Exercising, working, doing anything we don't want to do, etc. Willpower goes hand-in-hand with mindfulness. Also, think of it as a muscle that can be strengthened over time. Yoga helps in cultivating it. :)

That is true. And lots of things are incredibly boring.

Come to think of it: unconscientious people really should try it out then. If anybody, they are the ones who needs to train their willpower.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
This. "It is difficult to attract our attention in the present moment", is what I used to say in the past. Later, I discovered that I can bring my awareness and train myself to do so, instead of subconsciously plotting future events and architecting the way they're going to play. Otherwise, I meditate to further reinforce my stillness.
This is the benefit of both yoga and meditation. It is the ability to assist the "monkey mind" which is always jumping from thought to thought .. back to the present, to the movement of the body and breath. I find that running does the same. Just quiets the mind so I can be present . I hear my footsteps and my breathing until suddenly my mind is so beautifully clear and I'm just observing where I am passively, peacefully.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been doing it on and off for 20 years.

I like it for it's different styles and levels. I do a more hardcore yoga now because I'm highly flexible. I'm also very muscular as a powerlifter so I need a more intense and higher than intermediate level. I occasionally do gentle yoga during my rest days if I've slept in poor positions. It helps stretch out my fascia buildup and excrete toxins from my skin.

I also believe there is a mind-body connection factor when I bring meditation into it. I find I'm able to control my breathing better as I train myself to induce my mind into a meditative state. I learn self-discipline from it, emotional control, and I find a positive emotional release that allows me to "clear my head".

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've done it off and on for about 15 years to improve flexibility and stretch out my body after a day of using it. I do physical work and the feeling of relaxing my body after a day of work is fantastic.

Have never been good at the whole meditation thing (sitting still is not my friend!), so this is as close as i can get to meditation outside of losing myself in physical work.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Have any of you that have posted made any good friends at yoga?

Ingrid in grids

Have any of you that have posted made any good friends at yoga?

I haven't so much, but I tend to do more at home these days.

I got my parents into yoga ~10 years ago, and they both go to classes 3-4 times a week. They have made a whole network of friends through yoga.

Just about everyone I have met at yoga were nice people. Different studios attract different crowds too.

:)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish to try out some yoga. I just want to relax.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't so much, but I tend to do more at home these days.

I got my parents into yoga ~10 years ago, and they both go to classes 3-4 times a week. They have made a whole network of friends through yoga.

Just about everyone I have met at yoga were nice people. Different studios attract different crowds too.

:)

The bold part seems really nice.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love yoga because it makes me feel so flexible, and when I finish it I always have this buzzy, good feeling. I don't know if that's just because of increased blood flow or what, but I love it.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I love yoga because it makes me feel so flexible, and when I finish it I always have this buzzy, good feeling. I don't know if that's just because of increased blood flow or what, but I love it.

I have a similar experience. Love the stretched out feeling and the clarity of mind afterwards.