• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reasons for yoga

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have just started to take yoga classes.
It is something called MOJO yoga if anyone was wondering.

Anyways I started to wonder about the reasons others do yoga. I started thinking in the context of the enneagram, but then my thoughts got wider.

So, for what reasons do you do yoga?

I will be a good sport and start.

I am doing it because I really like the stretched out feeling afterwards and the fact that I have real difficulties when it comes to living in the now.

hmm... well, MOJO yoga sounds like an ill-conceived Western marketing scheme, similar to Power Yoga...which my own dumb butt fell for.

In today's world, who doesn't have an issue being in the now? Otherwise known as the present moment, it sure as hell isn't to be found on the Smatphone *ding ding*.

There's a danger to Yoga, many Western instructors are completely oblivious to. For some, that scrit was going to happen anyway in one form or another...it's literally written in the Rashi's and Nakshatra's.

That's all I really care to say about it.

Seeker33

MBTI Type
ENFP
I do it to get centered. My mind is usually racing, losing touch with the world around me. The focus on my breath takes me off of the mental rollercoaster. Slow deliberate asana puts me in touch with my body. And then slow deliberate breathing connects my body back with the universe around me.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Seriously. Hot yoga changed the way I look at yoga. I wasn't a huge fan of yoga before. When I started hot yoga, I found something extremely calming and effective. I don't like the cheesey spiritual side of yoga. The talks some of the instructors give make me want to say " shhh. Stop. Just stop talking please. ", But otherwise, I think it's probably.my favourite. Ain't nothing like sweating buckets and stretching the shit out of your muscles to the point that you're too sore to move the next day. love it!

Go to hot yoga. You'll sweat, you'll stretch, you'll destress. It's honestly a wonderful feeling, especially before bedtime, or first thing in the morning

Millahardman

Practicing intensive yoga formats such as Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Hot Vinyasa, and other forms of Power yoga will absolutely make changes in your body. You could lose weight, and you will most definitely strengthen and tone.You will learn to BREATHE differently in yoga and you will learn to use that breath in everyday situations. The saying “take a deep breath” is much more than a saying as you come to understand how breath gives you the power to control your emotions in many situations, including moments of stress.yoga will build your immunity, which also means less days of pain from colds, the flu, and other illnesses.

Mole

Permabanned
The aggressive Hindu Party of India is promoting yoga as part of the Hindu religion. This is a caste ridden religion.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I'd never take a class. First of all I just ....don't think I'd get along with the sort of people who do Yoga, at least not around here.

2nd, I wouldn't be very good at it. Being judged for it seems fairly counter-productive.

As far as your average human goes; I am quite at "centering" myself without any outer encouragement-just being outside is all I really need. I see no need pay for something I can get for free.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'd never take a class. First of all I just ....don't think I'd get along with the sort of people who do Yoga, at least not around here.

2nd, I wouldn't be very good at it. Being judged for it seems fairly counter-productive.

As far as your average human goes; I am quite at "centering" myself without any outer encouragement-just being outside is all I really need. I see no need pay for something I can get for free.

I am sensing some interesting stereotypes here.

Care to share?

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Stereotypes exist for a reason.

There is not much to it really. This area is lousy with Yuppy Moms.

I personally do not encounter Yuppy moms in my classes but I am sure it depends on location and establishment.

The most obvious stereotype in my classes would be me, as the only guy most of the time.

Cant think of any clear cut stereotypes other than that in my classes.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The aggressive Hindu Party of India is promoting yoga as part of the Hindu religion. This is a caste ridden religion.

I know this is from yesteryear, but - would you care to explain please? Caste has become a separate matter from the true religion itself, for starters (I think they should both be re-examined, with the first being abolished entirely as it divides us from each other and no longer serves any good purpose since ancient times).

Also, as a “non-aggressive” Hindu, I partly agree with you. Hindu politicians do not speak for me any more than politicians here.

Mole

Permabanned
I know this is from yesteryear, but - would you care to explain please? Caste has become a separate matter from the true religion itself, for starters (I think they should both be re-examined, with the first being abolished entirely as it divides us from each other and no longer serves any good purpose since ancient times). Also, as a "non-aggressive" Hindu, I partly agree with you. Hindu politicians do not speak for me any more than politicians here.

Yoga. like most meditative practices has its origin in religion. These practices can also be secular, see, "The Way of Trance", by Dennis Wier.

Mole

Permabanned
I know this is from yesteryear, but - would you care to explain please? Caste has become a separate matter from the true religion itself, for starters (I think they should both be re-examined, with the first being abolished entirely as it divides us from each other and no longer serves any good purpose since ancient times). Also, as a "non-aggressive" Hindu, I partly agree with you. Hindu politicians do not speak for me any more than politicians here.

Religion divided the Subcontinent violently into four separate countries, while we have united six sovereign States into one, and we are now forming a free trade and movement unon with Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Britain, all with secular Constitutions.

SkarlettY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I do it because then I feel completely relaxed and I also understand that this is some kind of physical activity and it is good for my body) Successful training!

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I used to practice yoga regularly in my early 20s. I've recently gotten back into it (using the same vintage book, which beautifully breaks it down into a progression organized by week). The book itself is half yoga and half glorified stretches (at least the earlier parts of it), but I've historically had great success and surprisingly rapid results with it. It is quite a commitment though (yesterday it took me 1h20m to complete).

Anyway... I am drawn to yoga for many reasons, all of which roll into a unified concept of self incorporating mindfulness, discipline, and ability. Of course, I do it for the fitness aspect and to look and feel better about myself too, but what I really enjoy about it is that it helps me to get out of my head and connect to my body, and by the end of the practice, I am better able to connect with my surroundings as well.

I'm a firm believer in the mind-body connection and feel it works in both ways, so developing suppleness of body encourages suppleness of mind.

*throws lavender everywhere while rubbing apple cider vinegar on temples and levitating smoldering sage stick above crown chakra*

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I know that yoga seems a bit over advertised but it's still a matter of choice if you will do it or not. I don't expect to see people start stretching like crazy if they don't feel like it.

Is there some yoga police/forced yoga going on that you aren't mentioning?

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Idk the first thing that comes to mind is that female flexibility is hot. Yoga seems to be marketized that way too.

Jokes aside - it probably doesnt work for me since i cant stay physically in the same position for that long with a clear head.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Yoga for me really is about really associating with my body. Im not sure why it became sexualized but really yoga is about grounding and feeling present in your body. The point is really not to pay attention to all the tricks and whistles people sell it with. If you do a full sun salutation 10 times a day its enough grounding to bring you to the presence without becoming "strenuous"

Mole

Permabanned
Yoga is a spiritual exercise of Hinduism which denies it is a religion.

Why anyone would believe yoga is not a religion practice of Hinduism after it has been used as a. religious practice for Millenia is an interesting question.

The truth is it is Hindu propaganda repeated over and over.

Turn the coin over and we find a narcissist who believes yoga is all about them, what a surprise, and not about Hinduism.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i just like my ritual of it. i always turn on native american flute music, light an incense, lay out my mat on my deck when it's nice out or on my floor when it's not--i do all my yoga stretches and just sort of get in this zen mood. it's a nice way to start my day. :wubbie: