• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chiropractor or acupuncture

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have pain all over my body, and my school has both these services as well as a massage therapist, and I was wondering if anyone on this site had any experience with any of these, and knows which one I should maybe try.

Idk if this is joint or bone pain or what. Meditation and a warm bath has helped me in the past.

Tater

I'm not convinced that chiropractors produce the results they claim to. I've had experience with chiropractors - once during early high school and another after I suffered whiplash in a car accident. In each case, I sought treatment for a period of several months. Unfortunately, I can't say my adjustments had any measurable effect on my physical well being. Furthermore, the entire practice seems steeped in a history of pseudoscience. Apparently, one of the first instances of chiropractic goes back to 1895 when a "magnetic healer" claimed to be able to cure deafness by cracking the back of a patient. Since then, the practice hasn't benefited from all that much revision.

However, I do think that massages and meditation help relieve muscle tension.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had both and I've enjoyed both tbh. I prefer the acupressure just because it's was more long-lasting, in my experience.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suggest a combination of both chiropractic and deep tissue massage. But I have never used acupuncture. Chiropractic realigns the joints and deep tissue massage helps to release fascia (knots). I had consistent back pain for a few years but with one adjustment a week, it's pretty much nonexistent.

Beorn

Permabanned
I have pain all over my body, and my school has both these services as well as a massage therapist, and I was wondering if anyone on this site had any experience with any of these, and knows which one I should maybe try.

Idk if this is joint or bone pain or what. Meditation and a warm bath has helped me in the past.

Have you talked to your GP about this?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you talked to your GP about this?

I mentioned the pain, but they didn't really say anything about it. I just wanted to see if these things helped, and would probably go to gp if neither of them did.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When my parents refused to sign consent forms for me to see a chiropractor, I went to a back alley acupuncture place and they helped me out tremendously. Just make sure you are relaxed and it'll be worth it.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I guess it depends on what kind of pain it is. My back has been super fucked up my entire life and I benefit a LOT from going to chiropractors. I've never tried accupuncture but I definitely want to. I agree a good massage might do some wonders too.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I agree with seeing a doctor and getting to the bottom of the pain. I've tried them all but what worked best was twofold. Regular exercise and regular massages - I have a 30 min. deep tissue massage, 30 min. stretch once a week.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only have experience with massage and it's amazing. I don't know which option would be most effective for you though.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I hope you find relief soon and your doctor listens to you.
They can be real dicks when it comes to pain, especially toward women (this bias has been shown).

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my very limited experience, Western doctors don't advocate acupuncture. BUT...my mom had great success with acupuncture to cure this pain she would get in her scalp (!).

My mom went to her normal GP and they didn't figure out what was wrong. But the acupuncturist did. In fact, they became friends over time, and my mom, who has an incredible green thumb, eventually got to the point of 'paying' for sessions with vegetables ! Not sure what kind of exchange rate they settled on :D

A couple of my coworkers go to an acupuncturist for various issues (digestive and female issues) and they swear by it. I keep meaning to go but right now need to watch my finances.

My SO had some excruciating back issues (where he could not stand up straight and was howling in pain) not long ago and went to a chiropractor, which provided a miracle for him over the course of a couple gentle sessions (that is, it doesn't have to be the loud cracking sound they are stereotyped for)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a feeling this may be a bone thing, so I think I'm going to try out a chiropractor. [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION] [MENTION=15588] or any other mod, could you move this thread to the Health forum, and maybe change the title to experiences with chiropractors and acupuncture. I think it would be beneficial to see other people's experiences with it, and I will share my own of course.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with seeing a doctor and getting to the bottom of the pain. I've tried them all but what worked best was twofold. Regular exercise and regular massages - I have a 30 min. deep tissue massage, 30 min. stretch once a week.

I have been slacking on exercise. Getting back into it shouldn't hurt. I do tend to get nervous at gyms. Maybe a class would be better, but I don't like the idea of having an obligation in the midst of my school work. I should probably look around, and find something that fits. When it gets warmer I could swim on the weekends.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a feeling this may be a bone thing, so I think I'm going to try out a chiropractor. [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION] [MENTION=15588] or any other mod, could you move this thread to the Health forum, and maybe change the title to experiences with chiropractors and acupuncture. I think it would be beneficial to see other people's experiences with it, and I will share my own of course.

This might sound weird, but have you been getting enough vitamin D? Do you take a multi vitamin?

I had some pain all around at one point and I think it was a lack of Vit D (rickets!!). Just a suggestion. Took a multivitamin and felt better rather quickly.

Hope you feel better.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This might sound weird, but have you been getting enough vitamin C? Do you take a multi vitamin?

I had some pain all around at one point and I think it was a lack of Vit C (rickets!!). Just a suggestion. Took a multivitamin and felt better rather quickly.

Hope you feel better.

I have no idea how much vitamin C I'm taking. I don't take any vitamins.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh... I totally confused things. I meant scurvy and a lack of Vit C :shock:

D'oh. Anyway.... I just didn't feel good all over, and it turned out to be a simple dietary issue!

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I went to the chiropractor today. I felt better during and right after, but the pain started to creep back in once I began walking to lunch. She recommended that I try massage therapy, and said I was very tense lol. I didn't seem to have any severe back problems, but she said some sort of thing, I forgot the name of it, wasn't as good as it could be.