• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2018 Healthy Habits Challenge!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It's finally starting to warm up outside! FINALLY!! I'm slowly crawling out of my cave of winter mush!

I didn't do a review of April because April has been Busy AF and it is NOT slowing down anytime soon. I'll poke my nose back in here to regroup for the TRUE spring weather in May and kick all my ducks into line. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Last year's goals:

I did the bolded, plus the following:

- ran a Spartan Sprint
- upped my running mileage from 3.5 miles to 6 miles
- can boulder more V2s than I could before

I still can't do a pull-up or a push-up. Which is disheartening. But my exercise routine got derailed numerous times throughout the year due to life things - and I've been told by friends that I will probably be able to do a pull-up by February if I keep training.
Apparently adding rows (bent over w/one arm + inverted with a bar or TRX) to a routine of 2-3 climbing days* a week really amps up the gains. Four months into the year and suddenly I can do not just one push-up, but five. FIVE.

Still no pull-ups though.

*Tues/Thurs are my bouldering mornings. The goal is to add one weekend day of top-roping to that. I’m a top-roping noob but I can safely do 5.9 - working towards 5.10a.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
March/April Evaluation:

Fitness:

- I want to get stronger. 5 day routine.. 10-20 minute burn out arms and legs x2/wk, a cardio/abs work out 35min-1hr x2/wk, and 1 new video/work out style x1/wk.

Jan: Too cold, did some working out, not near 5 days a week yet, wanted to incorporate P90X.
Feb: Set a goal of 5 days/wk by April, did not do P90X at all, but still wanted to try, did not hit 5 days a week.
Mar: Drop the 5th day to once every other week perhaps, still not hitting 5 days a week.
April: Not hitting 5 days a week, it is clear this habit needs to be developed more slowly. I did travel during this month, and that hindered a bit.
May goals: Going to start with 10-20min legs and arm sessions 2x/wk and 1 cardio session 1x/wk, see if I can do this 2 months in a row. If I can do this consistently, I think it will be easier for me to add onto it. Going to try the shorter sessions on work days instead of my initial plan to work out on my non-working days.

- I want to become more flexible. Complete a 30 day beginner yoga challenge and 90 day yoga challenge. 1 Stretching video post work outs x3/wk. 5 minute bed stretch routine on work days.

Jan: Basically did nothing.
Feb: One out of every 3 days I was stetching fairly consistently, even at work. Got to day 8 of 30 day yoga beginner challenge.
Mar: Wanted to complete it, but only got to day 15. Basically stretched almost twice a week.
Apr: Did not start out the month stretching at all, but on the road to see the 30 day challenge almost to completion. Lots of impatience issues with stretching, it still annoys me for some reason.
May: See stretching challenge to completion, and perhaps start the 3x/wk stretching videos section of things. Start out with once a week for the first two weeks, and maybe bump it up to twice a week for the next two weeks.

- Go to all of my doctor appointments no matter what.

Jan: I have none in January! Yay!
Feb: Again, no MD appointments this month!
Mar: Went to the only doc appointment I had. I was sleepy as hell and didn't want to and was pissed and still did it.
Apr: Got in contact with my VSO, need to call him back on May 7th for an update as he sent an inquiry and thinks they made a mistake on my paperwork (via not sending me any or posting any lol), I also have two appointments next week back to back--dentist, and annual check up. I will go to them hell or high water feelings-wise.
May: Call my VSO, and see through any appointments made by my primary care doctor based on my check up.

Food:

- Focus more on eating appropriate portions, reigning in snacking. Curb free food habits, make snacks vs buying them. Try intermittent fasting. By May consistently eating 12-1300 calories of food itself.

Jan: Restructured goals to be more sustainable and make sense and broke stuff up. Started IF, joined 1200isplenty subreddit, eating 2 meals and 2 snacks a day.
Feb: Eating 1 heavy meal and 1 light meal and 1 snack daily. Very few days of breeching 1200 calories a day. Hoping to see weight loss and thus improvements in my itching flare ups.
Mar: Stopped writing down calories as much/often, but have continued to do daily counts of calories. Stayed within 1300 calories a day nearly every single day with 2 days of 1400ish calories. Down from 136 lbs to 132 lbs.
Apr: Had a few days of overeating (birthday, Easter, 2 days while on vacation in Texas) which was expected. Still at 132 lbs, expectedly. Overall, the month has been fine, and even on vacation I ate within my calorie limits.
May: Continue IF, 1200 calories a day, dropping the making snacks goal as healthy snacks are incredibly cheap here.

- Smaller plates when serving food, asking for a to-go box at the beginning of a meal out.

Jan: I didn't eat at restaurants that provided food outside of a typical serving size.
Feb: I didn't go to many restaurants here either! Only on V-day.
Mar: Went to Carrabbas, a notoriously calorically pricey restaurant. Ended up eating a 600 calorie meal there so did not take a to-go box, but I did remember this when I went.
Apr: Chose a friend's house for my birthday over dinner out. Did not take to-gos at restaurants as I ate appropriate portions while on vacation with the exception of 2 days. I was okay with the food I ate on those two days, and with my birthday meal. Easter I could have taken a to-go box but it was odd at a friends, will post below.
May: Continue to either make smart choices at restaurants or take a to-go box if it's a higher calorie count than I would eat at home.

- More fish in meals and protein in my diet. Cooking experimentation goals. (Cutting this goal as it's limiting in some ways. Still aim to experiment, but with more arbitrary things.)

Jan: Did not fulfill.
Feb: Cut the experimentation goal. Still have a desire to try new dishes to cook though.
Mar: Bought more fish filets in my grocery budget.
Apr: Mussels, clams, shrimp, and fish have all been part of my diet this month. Shrimp was on sale BOGOF so I stocked up well. Experiments: skinnytaste bagels, boiled enoki dish, zucchini pizza bites.
May: Continue to refine fish cooking skills. ... ideas for experiments...Try to make a new Japanese dish or two? Takoyaki is something I love and think I can afford to try. Same with dango I love this dish. Onigiri is something I've neglected trying my hand at lately. Try out a healthy al pastor recipe I found with chicken, shrimp, and pork tenderloin.

- My water intake. A small cup of water/tea with each meal, and a cup of water when I first wake up.

Jan: Used tiny water bottles when I woke up, worked well. Drank tea with each meal.
Feb: Drinking water at work and home, water bottles were not replenished and thus waking up fell off as a habit too. Still, overall felt I drank plenty as thirst and hunger became more apparent and separated.
Mar: Fell off a bit, did not drink as much tea with meals and resented the cold continuing. Work nights were busy too. Overall, drank a decent amount of water (my urine was never dark or anything) but felt I could improve.
Apr: (Currently writing this a little hungover. does not take much anymore. two drinks and I feel yucky.) Drank decent water amounts while on vacation helping out and drank one large glass at restaurants and hit water fountains each time I passed one by. Continuing to grab a glass of water at beginning of shift, and brewing cold tea and hot tea to have on hand for meals.
May: 1 glass of tea or water with each meal (or chug one just before, this has been working well for me too) + 2 glasses at each work shift. Going to try for a small glass of water when I wake up again, we'll see how it goes. May end up picking up more mini bottles.

- I need to break the "im so poor I need free food" habit.

Jan: Came up with a plan to carry an empty tupperware around. It was useful.
Feb: This has worked really, REALLY well for me. Took home lots of free items to eat later.
Mar: Really useful, I ended up forgetting to put the tupperware back in my car but not in my backpack?
Apr: My backpack was stolen, so will replace my tupperwares and get a few in my car instead of one. So far haven't had many parties at work so hasn't been an issue, have taken a donut home in a piece of paper so the idea is still there. Could have packaged Easter to-go but didn't out of a lack of tupperware in my car at the time. Overall, a wonderful habit I've adopted.
May: Figure out a way to remember to take things back into my car, continue the tupperware trick.

General cleaning/organizing:

- Clean up 5 minutes a day.

Jan: Started this habit, did alright with it.
Feb: Whirlwind cleaned the house, and that made this habit really easy.
Mar: Completely forgot and fell off the bandwagon on this.
Apr: Was on vacation for 2 weeks, did lots of cleaning there though, and have taken time to put things away, put stuff in slots, etc. since coming back home. Hope to continue the trend.
May: Clean 5 minutes a day.

- I'll pick a project, a room, something, and spend the whole month on it.

Jan: Picked paperwork. Started it.
Feb: Continued paperwork. Was unsuccessful with fluffing up paperwork in Jan. Made a cheap (free) organizer for my hats on the wall.
Mar: Did not continue paperwork, started Konmari method on clothing but only at the end of the month. Paperwork was bogging me down. Started clothes. I did deep clean the kitchen though, and threw out many old items and organized other areas.
Apr: Continue to go through clothing and organize them. Hope to fit all of my clothing into the closet so that I can get rid of the dresser in the bedroom and make room for a bigger bed.
May: Hopefully completed clothing early on, and start to go through something else needed badly like perhaps my army stuff and storage items.

Financial:
- I want to max out my IRA this year, my emergency fund as well in a high interest savings account, finance the rest of my HEMA equipment, and truly get started in investing. I've been holding onto my savings right now because of some big picture stuff coming up in the near future.

Jan: Picked out a high interest savings account. IDed things needed: feder, armor, traveling. Made a budget.
Feb: Feder is paid for, armor is being made, did well with the budget. Added vanguard to my paychecks each month.
Mar: Did very little in terms of financial stuff. Only did my Taxes really.
Apr: Spent WAY more money than intended on my vacation to Texas. $2000 in total. Some of that was necessary (like paying to break contracts for TV service and internet services and get things started and switched over) but some were not (like not realizing how expensive the buffet I went to had gotten when I treated 8 people out to it, a rental car because I didn't do leg work for buying a car in time, etc.) at all and costed me dearly. I overall expected to spend only half of what I did, and I need to recoup that money. I did earn a bonus from my extra work in Feb, so that helped, but since I used a cool $700 (ouch!) for my feder this was not so great still. Luckily, overtime shifts help. It will take me 6 extra shifts (one overtime each) to recoup this money, and since bonuses are offered for extra shifts, I may end up doing another round of overtime stuff. That would put me right back at even money wise.... Which will further open me up to needing extra money to buy the car for Texas ($2000 alone) and traveling (hoping to go to Europe for $1000, Canada for $500, and Texas again for an extended time for $1000) Sucks hard, but there's no way around it, I got spendy while there and also the things I needed to do were spendy. Overall, I need to make an extra $7,500 in order to cover every single thing. $3,000 is what I pick up for every 6-shift contract I work... so I need 2 Extra contracts + 2 overtime shift weeks this year. I can probably do one of these in May/June, and likely will do the other in August/Sept. November will have to be the 2 overtime shift weeks.
May: Sign up for a contract with a floor that will let me to do overtime weeks whenever I possibly can.

Hobbies:

- Work through the first 20 lessons'. First half of the year to work on the first 10 lessons. Lesson 5/6 in Jan, 7 in Feb, 8 in Mar, 9 in April, 10 in May.. The song book 1 in June and July.

Jan: Started this habit practicing.
Feb: Continued to practice and got to 1st strings.
Mar: Fell off the wagon on this too. March was a slumpy month in general for me!
Apr: Was on vacation and obvi didn't play. Reviewing the things I learned in Feb, and trying my hand at an easy song.
May: Learn second string notes and play an easy song.

- I want to score a winning round in SiS, compete at all in Queen's Gambit, create my leather jacket and put my patches on it, Go to Okoberfecht again, get myself a complete set of useable gear that I can travel with and fight in without any loaner equipment, and memorize at least half of the montante rule sets. Enroll in Sword Carolina Online and start practicing at home.

Jan: Registered for stuff.
Feb: Registered for SiS, and I competed in QG! Started making armor.
Mar: Hung out mostly. Feder is ordered.
Apr: Participating in PHO. Took a hard hit to my head, which made me think I need lots more training. Going to SiS still, and going to practice as hard as I can before it comes considering it is soon. Leather armor is created and done just needs tweaking.
May: Focus on leather jacket and putting final touches on gear.

- Continue going to at least 2 HEMA classes a week.

Jan: Went 2x a week.
Feb: Went 2x a week.
Mar: Fell off the bandwagon for many reasons (some practices cancelled, mar was apparent a shit month for me lol, etc.) so did not do much training there.
Apr: Was on vacation for 2 weeks, will have practiced 3x this week and twice the next so overall did well.
May: Attend twice a week even though I'll be picking up extra shifts.

- I'd like to go snowboarding once this year.

We had unseasonably warm weather mixed with awful cold weather, none of it suitable for snowboarding. Will come back to this goal late this year when the weather turns again.

- I'm going to try to make 1 hash a month. It'll count as a run day for fitness too, so bonus.

Jan: I did alright, I did go to ONE hash this month.
Feb: Did not. HEMA, drama, etc. came first. Extra shifts on weekends did not help.
Mar: 1 hash run was attended.
Apr: Hoping to snag a hash, but doubt it with vacation + Hema tournament and viking fight night.
May: Go to a hash run once even with extra shifts.

- Japanese study - Finish book 1 and start book 2. Work more with anki. Watch 1 show in Japanese a week, 1 podcast a week.

Jan: Started on everything.
Feb: Anki was started, attended study sessions once a week. Started watching shows in Japanese, but no podcasts.
Mar: Study partner is in Japan, so couldn't study with her, and thus fell off the bandwagon.
Apr: My backpack with my textbooks were stolen. -_- fun. Going to do free studying online and with anki until I can replace my book and notes... ALL of my notes. Just... gone. It was pretty devastating. Friend is still in Japan herself, so no in-person obligations.
May: Regain my textbook and re-write my notes, watch TV shows and focus on Anki in the meanwhile.

- Costume Building/Cosplay

Jan: Not a goal.
Feb: Not a goal at the time.
Mar: Became a goal! Ordered some pants that are PERFECT for a cheap-ish Duo Maxwell costume.
Apr: Dye Duo Maxwell pants black and keep an eye out for a decent white shirt that will work for the costume.
May: Repair Asuna costume as I'll be re-using this one. Mumen Rider won't be this year I think, but I will try to work on it soon. Finish Duo Maxwell costume. Perhaps reach out to Ultimate Experience.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've gone mostly Paleo with my Diet and started intermittent Fasting a couple of days ago. I've lost 17 lbs so far.

A month and a half ago I decided to start doing pushups and squats (bodyweight) every day. I started with 100 pushups and 200 squats.

I'm now up to 150 and 240 respectively. That's 5 sets of 30 pushups and 4 sets of 60 squats.

I've found that maintaining a calorie deficiency is much easier with IF (I. Fasting). My first day on it, I managed a 27 hr fast and am now daily doing at least 18hrs. I try to maintain a 6 hr eating window from 2pm to 8pm.

I will be able to ease up on the diet and portion limits once I hit the weight I want.

I've also got a Muay Thai banana bag that I've been hitting regularly. These are the combos that I've been working on.

Make sure to protect your hands with wraps and gloves. NEVER hit a heavy bag with bare knuckles.

I'm going to try to up my pushup sets to 40 here soon, and my squat sets up to 70.

If anyone has any questions about anything I'd be happy to answer.

I really think IF is the hot ticket and has made my dieting WAY simpler. It gives your body time to start burning fat instead of the food you are constantly eating.

NOTE: IF has been shown to be a better prospect for men than women and both react to it differently.

Starting out most people go on a 16/8 schedule (16hr fast/8hr eating window). For me though the longer you fast the less concerned you have to be with portions during the eating window.

I'm losing a lb or two every day.

Yesterday I started eating at 3:30pm and I had a california sushi roll from our local grocery chain publix and some asian mixed veggies I'd cooked the night before. At about 6 I had 5 non breaded chicken wings.

No bread, no dairy, no starch and limited carbs where I can.

I'm planning on making taco salad tonight with ground chicken, green leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, onions and some grilled peppers and maybe some black beans. Legumes are supposed to be a no no, but I have a hard time feeling full without them sometimes. Luckily beans are pretty innocuous as far as non paleo foods go.

The squats and pushups had an immediate impact on how I looked even before the dieting.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
semester almost done so i have a short breather before summer semester and i need to come up with some goals to hopefully get me back on track.

summer i will be getting in 2-3 mile walks 4x/week due to a morning class.

since it's summer and it's time for fresh veggies and fruits, i am thinking of going vegetarian for the summer with a few exceptions since i am not sure if i can legit not eat meat without going crazy. i might just set aside 1-2 days a week for meat in the form of chicken and fish and let the rest of the week be other protein sources such as the beloved egg.

---

also need to learn how to use my balance ball resistance bands contraption that i got but no instructions came with it, so it sits there looking dumb and i sit back looking dumb gazing into its abyssal eyes.

----

so starting may 14-21
walk 4x 2-3 miles
start modified eating program

we will go from here :)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
semester almost done so i have a short breather before summer semester and i need to come up with some goals to hopefully get me back on track.

summer i will be getting in 2-3 mile walks 4x/week due to a morning class.

since it's summer and it's time for fresh veggies and fruits, i am thinking of going vegetarian for the summer with a few exceptions since i am not sure if i can legit not eat meat without going crazy. i might just set aside 1-2 days a week for meat in the form of chicken and fish and let the rest of the week be other protein sources such as the beloved egg.

---

also need to learn how to use my balance ball resistance bands contraption that i got but no instructions came with it, so it sits there looking dumb and i sit back looking dumb gazing into its abyssal eyes.

----

so starting may 14-21
walk 4x 2-3 miles
start modified eating program

we will go from here :)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I would like to get into calisthenics as finding bars in a park are cheap. And given my long torso and short legs (and a history of being [relatively] good at pull ups) I think I will take to it naturally.

As far as paying to exercise, I'm looking to incorporate yoga, esp bikram, to help with weight loss and improve flexibility, core strength and mental calm (also meeting new people would be nice).

But I used to be able to rip off bodyweight dips in high school and would like to get back there.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius only managed sub-22 minute 5k about 6 times last year and this is so far this year his 5k results:

28/04/2018 21:05
21/04/2018 21:30
07/04/2018 22:00
31/03/2018 22:57
10/03/2018 21:47
24/02/2018 20:43
17/02/2018 21:22
03/02/2018 23:17
27/01/2018 21:25
20/01/2018 21:20
13/01/2018 21:36

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Falcarius 5k so far this year:

Faster than I ever was!

Lark

I have not been tracking like some of the other posters, Kyuuei that's a bit inspirational that is, but I just wanted to post that within two to three weeks I've lost half a stone with my intensive programme of walked all the time, 10,000 - 20,000 steps a day, using fitbit and fitbit challenges for tracking and motivation, in all weathers.

Plus today I woke up and tried on a pair of jeans which are a size smaller than I wear normally, they fit, some of my other clothes are looser too.

The walks have been mainly in local parks and forests, I really enjoy the birdsong, animals (there's a lot of squirrels), trees, greenery and, most of the time, lack of people, and, all of the time, lack of cars, I cant walk anywhere else but I feel I'm constantly stopping to let some asshat in car drive across my path or something like that.

My blood sugars have improved a lot too, I changed medication recently and I have not had to rely on it to bring my sugars down so much, even with the eating which I did last weekend for my dad and my own birthday celebrations (a week early) it was not that bad, last night being an exception as I ate pringles before bed and should not have and got about four hours sleep as result having to get up repeatedly to use the bathroom (symptoms of a high blood sugar) but I will not repeat that mistake.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it kool if i jump in half way through this?

I've been tracking what i eat on myfitnesspal, ignoring when it yells at me lol.

I also downloaded that cute as fuck water app, holy shit he's so kyute.

Haven't been exercising cuz school, but as soon as i get out for the summer, i'm gonna get gainz :yesss:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Histamine rebound is a real thing. I've had to quit all of my allergy medications. Working on systematic exposure therapy + herbal means of symptomatic relief. I hope to be able to run again in the near future.

Went to a swordfighting tournament and felt pretty gassed after it. Somehow I need to build up my stamina. Able to work out for 10 minutes at a time + some stretching before I break out into hives. But the weather is getting warmer and warmer, and I'm slowly working on it.

I had a great encounter with a lady with a phD in Sherlock Holmes at the tournament. At first I had thought us friendemies (not by my choice, but just due to her actions and words... saving face for the sake of the group, with no real love between us) and despite talking to others about the scenarios observed, I decided to stay neutral to it and wait with a cautious eye. But now, I believe that perhaps she is just somehow even more awkward around other women than I am myself. And thus, the turn-around, and I am with a new acquaintance that is quite nice and friendly in all reality. Which is good, because I still need to fight this person at tournaments hahaha.

Lots to get done this week, including more deep cleaning and re-arranging the bedroom to hopefully provide a more functional space in it. Pouring through books as well, and then there's traveling to be booked.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I started a squat and plank challenge that is surely going to kill me.
It's day 4 and I can already see I've made a huge mistake.
I'll let you know if I make it through the final week which consists of almost 1,000 squats and nearly 20 minutes of planking.

Lark

I started a squat and plank challenge that is surely going to kill me.
It's day 4 and I can already see I've made a huge mistake.
I'll let you know if I make it through the final week which consists of almost 1,000 squats and nearly 20 minutes of planking.

I have a personal challenge of 1000 squats, 1000 press ups, 1000 lunges, 1000 sit ups

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Falcarius only managed sub-22 minute 5k about 6 times last year and this is so far this year his 5k results:

This is great. We did a 5k on Sunday, my time was 00:37:57 so you are doing much better than me.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was walking through the house yesterday in my bra and underwear, and my 6-year-old son said "Mommy, you're wiggly" and started laughing, so I have that going for me.

I should have turned around and screamed at him "it's all your fault!" Instead, I laughed with him and then pretended I wasn't a little sad inside. :happy2:

I probably shouldn't have had ice cream after my squats today.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I obviously am not part of this 'challenge', but since it's relevant to fitness and it's something I have recently implemented, I just wanted to mention that for the past roughly 2 weeks I've started just doing planks, and when in plank, moving my feet one at a time away from my body, back and forth, as years ago I'd seen a video about how it's good for abs / a good sit-up alternative. Well let me tell you... sit-ups are worthless compared to this. I gained stomach muscle tone within the first week (granted, I am one who puts on muscle relatively quickly/easily, but still), and it also tones pretty much every other muscle in my body. Highly recommend. :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I obviously am not part of this 'challenge', but since it's relevant to fitness and it's something I have recently implemented, I just wanted to mention that for the past roughly 2 weeks I've started just doing planks, and when in plank, moving my feet one at a time away from my body, back and forth, as years ago I'd seen a video about how it's good for abs / a good sit-up alternative. Well let me tell you... sit-ups are worthless compared to this. I gained stomach muscle tone within the first week (granted, I am one who puts on muscle relatively quickly/easily, but still), and it also tones pretty much every other muscle in my body. Highly recommend. :)

If you're only going to do 3 exercises, do planks, burpees, and squats. They all have such a broad impact on overall health and tone.

I love planks, it's the only thing I excel at naturally.