• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2018 Healthy Habits Challenge!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The 16 hr fast 8 hr feeding is going very well. I have exceeded the 16 hrs with no issue so I set my Fit Bit to remind me to eat. I'm only taking Sundays off of exercise and because I have a 5 k coming up in April, I'm regularly doing that on the treadmill HIIT. I'm not looking to make any specific time for the 5 k I just want to improve endurance and keep my heart rate up. Weights 4 days a week. I'm not down much weight - about 15 lbs total but my pants are falling off.

Metis

The 16 hr fast 8 hr feeding is going very well. I have exceeded the 16 hrs with no issue so I set my Fit Bit to remind me to eat. I'm only taking Sundays off of exercise and because I have a 5 k coming up in April, I'm regularly doing that on the treadmill HIIT. I'm not looking to make any specific time for the 5 k I just want to improve endurance and keep my heart rate up. Weights 4 days a week. I'm not down much weight - about 15 lbs total but my pants are falling off.

I've been doing CrossFit for almost a year. I stopped weighing myself before I started, because it was counterproductive. I got weighed a few weeks ago, because someone had brought a scale, and I was curious... Hadn't lost any weight. I've definitely changed body composition, though.

Supposedly it's hard to lose weight and build muscle simultaneously.

I've read in several online articles that it's recommended to lose weight before trying to put on muscle, but I'm much more motivated by strength gains than by weight lost, so I'm doing what seems to work best.

Starting a martial art recently made me seem to go down about a pants size. Still not weighing myself for at least another few months.

Lark

I think its time for a total do over in terms of my objectives for this year.

Going to give it some thought today and tomorrow. Decide something concrete.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've been doing CrossFit for almost a year. I stopped weighing myself before I started, because it was counterproductive. I got weighed a few weeks ago, because someone had brought a scale, and I was curious... Hadn't lost any weight. I've definitely changed body composition, though.

I've read in several online articles that it's recommended to lose weight before trying to put on muscle, but I'm much more motivated by strength gains than by weight lost, so I'm doing what seems to work best.

Starting a martial art recently made me seem to go down about a pants size. Still not weighing myself for at least another few months.

Haha it is so counterproductive. For me, weight bearing exercise is imperative so I can't take the weight loss then muscle building avenue and that's ok. One thing I'm sure of is that my upper arms are 3 inches smaller than they were at the end of the summer (I measured but it's the only thing I measured, dumb in retrospect). That could be fat loss but it could be muscle building - they don't feel or look as flabby for sure. Next week I'm going to try some FitBit challenges and see what happens.

Metis

Right now I'm having trouble exercising because of this sleep problem.

For several reasons:

(1) messes up my schedule

(2) if I haven't slept enough, I'm afraid to rely too much on my alertness and coordination and risk an injury

(3) insufficient rest is bad for my digestive system, which:

(a) makes it harder to move well, and

(b) makes me feel anxious and overwhelmed and less able to handle everything that's on my schedule, so I start crossing things off​

I need to get my sleep taken care of.

Might try using a sauna. Last time, I needed a nap afterwards. Unusual for me--I hardly ever nap.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This is because muscle weighs more than fat so a much more accurate measure is to look at changes in body-fat composition relative to your overall weight as opposed to JUST weight.

Losing fat before gaining muscle gives you more definition. You can become super beefy with all the right training but without losing the layer of fat on top first, the muscular definition does not show through as well.

This might interest you: Muscle Gain Math -

As for me, I am succeeding on eating better. For being surrounded by fitness-oriented people for so long, I am pretty lazy when it comes to fitness...but I am getting there.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ate a meal, realized in the business of the day (i.e. Woke up at 1:30am) STARVING. hahaha. So, I broke my fast to eat. When I calculated it, I realized I had only eaten 600 calories the evening prior. Oops! I just got so engaged in what I was doing I didn't feel all that hungry. Definitely got up and fixed it, had a really satisfying 400 calorie binge on mini donuts, milk, and fruit and yogurt... was able to go to bed within 30 minutes again no problemo.

Right now I'm having trouble exercising because of this sleep problem.

For several reasons:

(1) messes up my schedule

(2) if I haven't slept enough, I'm afraid to rely too much on my alertness and coordination and risk an injury

(3) insufficient rest is bad for my digestive system, which:

(a) makes it harder to move well, and

(b) makes me feel anxious and overwhelmed and less able to handle everything that's on my schedule, so I start crossing things off​

I need to get my sleep taken care of.

Might try using a sauna. Last time, I needed a nap afterwards. Unusual for me--I hardly ever nap.

May I ask, how much sleep are you currently getting, and what (if any) routines do you have prior to going to bed?

Lark

As for me, I am succeeding on eating better. For being surrounded by fitness-oriented people for so long, I am pretty lazy when it comes to fitness...but I am getting there.

I think that's important, if your social scene casually exercises and is fitness orientated then it can easily become a habit, like when you meet do you sit around having coffee or go for a walk first or afterwards but definitely do so and be active.

One of the times I'd lost the most weight of my life was when I was about fifthteen or sixteen and my friends and I would meet and walk perhaps for entire days none stop, we didnt realise we were doing it because we had each others company and were chatting the whole time, it was none stop and daily, we all lost a lot of weight, to the point were a friend of mine his family were worried that he had lost weight when he had no weight to lose really, his gran started to stock up his fridge and cupboards with buns and high calorie foods and wanted him to stop associating with me and my brother (there may have been a community/sectarian element to this too but that is surmising a little, not with out reason but all the same).

All the books I've read about positive mental attitudes, physical training or just the health benefits of social scenes continually assert the need to surround yourself with laid back people or to have regular social outlets and contacts, I think its great advice, the best time of my life, besides my teenage years, were studying at a university with lots of good social clubs and societies, I was part of a caving and potholing society which was a great social scene besides.

Its hard to conjur this up merely by willing it I've found, a lot of social or community forums revolve around children and families, as a single adult who isnt a neighbour to any of the people in question its a bit of a challenge.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's important, if your social scene casually exercises and is fitness orientated then it can easily become a habit, like when you meet do you sit around having coffee or go for a walk first or afterwards but definitely do so and be active.

One of the times I'd lost the most weight of my life was when I was about fifthteen or sixteen and my friends and I would meet and walk perhaps for entire days none stop, we didnt realise we were doing it because we had each others company and were chatting the whole time, it was none stop and daily, we all lost a lot of weight, to the point were a friend of mine his family were worried that he had lost weight when he had no weight to lose really, his gran started to stock up his fridge and cupboards with buns and high calorie foods and wanted him to stop associating with me and my brother (there may have been a community/sectarian element to this too but that is surmising a little, not with out reason but all the same).

All the books I've read about positive mental attitudes, physical training or just the health benefits of social scenes continually assert the need to surround yourself with laid back people or to have regular social outlets and contacts, I think its great advice, the best time of my life, besides my teenage years, were studying at a university with lots of good social clubs and societies, I was part of a caving and potholing society which was a great social scene besides.

Its hard to conjur this up merely by willing it I've found, a lot of social or community forums revolve around children and families, as a single adult who isnt a neighbour to any of the people in question its a bit of a challenge.

Completely agree. I am just lazy but as I get older, I am noticing how easy it is to gain weight. I gained and lost 10 lbs last year with relative ease compared to a few years ago.

Metis

May I ask, how much sleep are you currently getting, and what (if any) routines do you have prior to going to bed?

Nah, it's not about routine. My body wants to rise when the sun is setting. I was telling someone the other day that maybe I come from a long line of night watchmen. That would explain why I feel most at home under a night sky.

I could nap in the sun all day, too.

8953451695_93868eeeab_z.jpg

Right now, I can't really arrange a sleeping pattern like that, but hopefully in the future.

Meanwhile, I keep having to struggle to reset.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Nah, it's not about routine. My body wants to rise when the sun is setting. I was telling someone the other day that maybe I come from a long line of night watchmen. That would explain why I feel most at home under a night sky.

I could nap in the sun all day, too.

8953451695_93868eeeab_z.jpg

Right now, I can't really arrange a sleeping pattern like that, but hopefully in the future.

Meanwhile, I keep having to struggle to reset.

I see. There may be some benefit in you considering night shift work.. I work overnights. While I DO like being awake during the day--the mornings are NOT that time. With the exception of a rare sunrise I've enjoyed I've overwhelmingly enjoyed sunsets far more. I currently work as a nurse 7pm-7am, and switch to a teenager-style schedule on my off-days.. sleeping till 10-11am from going to bed at 2-4am. I really like this routine and I feel more tired when I go to bed before midnight. Always have. Some people are just built for night shift... and the cool thing is, we usually get compensated money-wise for that natural rhythm.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Trying to cut back on crappy eating... maybe I can discipline myself to get six-pack abs...

Tater

I could only do 17 push-ups at a time when 2018 began. Now I can do 43.

I started by using this video as a rough guide and inspirational focal point:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
FUUUUU march is cold!!! WHY IS IT SO COLD STILL?! I hate the cold so muuuch ;_; I'm definitely retiring to Mexico later on in life!! I could have just said Fuck off February and been on the beach every damn day.

But alas, it's cold as fuck, and I'm stuck here. Will do my wrap ups and write ups, but as a short stint of things: I've been chugging along pretty well with my stretches, work outs are not 5 days a week still but are at least more consistent and I still think this is a goal I can hit when the weather warms up, and Ive been eating rather healthy yummy foods and spring cleaning as well!

We went rock wall climbing yesterday, and it was really fun. I suck at bouldering! My hands are so incredibly weak haha. But trying to follow a small trail was entertaining, and I think I might try it again in the near future. I had bought a harness from the flea market a year or so ago for $10 and that was cool because I didn't need to rent the gym's smelly $9 equipment.

Permabanned
FUUUUU march is cold!!! WHY IS IT SO COLD STILL?! I hate the cold so muuuch ;_; I'm definitely retiring to Mexico later on in life!! I could have just said Fuck off February and been on the beach every damn day.

But alas, it's cold as fuck, and I'm stuck here. Will do my wrap ups and write ups, but as a short stint of things: I've been chugging along pretty well with my stretches, work outs are not 5 days a week still but are at least more consistent and I still think this is a goal I can hit when the weather warms up, and Ive been eating rather healthy yummy foods and spring cleaning as well!

We went rock wall climbing yesterday, and it was really fun. I suck at bouldering! My hands are so incredibly weak haha. But trying to follow a small trail was entertaining, and I think I might try it again in the near future. I had bought a harness from the flea market a year or so ago for $10 and that was cool because I didn't need to rent the gym's smelly $9 equipment.

ikr, fuk dis shyt

Metis

How are you doing with your healthy habits, TypoC?

I haven't been eating broccoli as much lately, but I've been eating spring mix.

503.png

It's asparagus season around here. Might be nice to start eating that, too.

Ingrid in grids

Most of my goals for 2018 are not health related, but here are my ones that are:

+ Commit to taking SNRI for 12 months

+ Trial Neurofolin for 2 months

+ Find a new psychologist

+ Be generally more proactive in managing eating disorder recovery and anxiety/panic disorder - set aside time each week to go over therapy notes

+ 30-day yoga challenge

Checking in...

I've been taking the SNRI fairly consistently. My new three month supply of the Neurofolin (L-methylfolate) arrived. I've started back on that too. Feels good.

I gave up on finding a new psychologist. It feels a lot like dating at this stage, and I just don't have the energy or desire to do it.

As for yoga, I've been doing basic asana sequences first thing in the morning and right before bed. I feel back in rhythm and my flexibility is improving. Although, I feel it's time to branch out and challenge myself a little more.

As for the ED recovery management, things have gone well on that front. With the ebbs and flows of stress, there's some flare-ups, but nothing I can't ride through and manage.

Edit: Just realised I haven't had a panic attack in a long time too. Win!

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know this isn't exactly "physical health", but I want to work on finding an inner positive voice. I guess in a sense that's called raising my self-confidence. XD

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A few goals:
Start calorie counting. I don't intend on getting super strict about it, but I want to be more cognizant of my intake.
Be more active. Specifically, I want to actively exercise as opposed to passively exercise. Like do more than walking long distances.
Remove soda from my diet. My soda drinking hasn't been excessive but I won't lose much by getting rid of it. (Except weight.)
Stand by more often. I think I am too quick to jump in and try to solve things. It leads to over extending myself.​