• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2018 Healthy Habits Challenge!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've had more than 1 PM asking me about what my weekly food intake looks like. I've adjusted quite well to intermittent fasting, and true to my military tummy nature, I can now tell when it's 1pm without any phone use because my tummy starts growling.

I spend anywhere between $35-40ish on food a week. I had this budget all year last year, and it is easier to stick to and make room in now that I am not factoring in breakfasts. This week is a little off since we're traveling... but that's okay. This week:

Sun: Started out eating a simple snack pack (one of those fancy Hillshire ones). I went in 50/50 with a friend on a large green pizza (banana peppers, spinach, goat cheese and mozzarella, broccoli, and bell pepper and onion) while we were out and about, and I bought some rice krispie christmas mini-snacks and almonds from the flea market, as well as 2 avocados, 1 sweet potato, and guavas. $0.50 for the snack pack, $11 for the pizza (I ate 3 slices, shared some, and had 1 slice leftover that I took home), $2.50 for the almonds, and $3 for the rice krispies (32 came in a box. Makes them about $0.09 each.), $3 for the fruit at the flea market. I already had the snack pack from the previous week, so total for the day was $19.50.

Mon: Today, I ate the leftover slice of pizza, and some almonds to start with. I have some re-grown green onions I'll be chopping up and using leftover cabbage, mushrooms, sweet potato, and carrots that will be turned into a simple clear soup. Lettuce, cucumber, and wakame I already own will be a wakame salad in a couple hours. I have some defrosted tuna I forgot I bought weeks ago that will serve as the main dish on top of some rice. (I buy my rice in 10 lb bags, so it usually lasts me 6-7 months at a time for $15 each. The tuna costed around $6-7 at the time.) Total cost for the day: $0.

Tues: Will be a repeat of monday using the other 3oz of fish, with the exception that I will swap out the pizza indulgence for avocado toast (we buy bread for <$1 a loaf at the flea market for decent pepperidge farm bread, so we have plenty from the last time we bought 6/$5 still) and instead of soup I'll be mixing wasabi, mayo, ginger, and soy sauce and tossing cabbage and lettuce in it to coat it.. then mix it all with the leftover rice. Leftover wakame salad from yesterday too. Again, $0 thanks to already bought and long-lasting ingredients.

Wed: Will need milk by that point, and more cereal! A trip to dickie's (one of the discount grocery stores in the area) will be needed, and Aldi. I'll stop on my way home from work. Milk costs $2 at Aldi and biscuits (for later) $1, and cereal is 2 boxes for $1.50 at dickies. Going with eggs, toast, and the other half of the avocado today, and changing it up with some mussels in the freezer steamed over rice with the mussel sauce on top. Total: $4.50

Thurs: We're traveling to KY! Just for a couple days. Likely going to be eating out, and budgeting $6 for a cheap meal + packing all the travel snacks with me too. It's a good way to get rid of the stuff we've been meaning to eat. I might not actually spend that much, but giving myself room for it. Total: $6

Fri: Hanging out in KY, I am not sure of the budget here, but I know breakfast will be free thanks to the hotel we'll be at, so I'll be bringing fruit in my pocket as a snack and grabbing some freebies for after 1pm. I'm budgeting $10 for the day which will likely be spent at a single place. We might make the trip back home by now and I'll eat at home IF we left on Wed night instead of Thurs morning. But either way, I'll have packed some food to take with me for today too just in case. Total: $10

Sat: Lazy eating day... cereal, salads, toast and avocado, fruit, yogurt, and the can of biscuits + the rest of the mushrooms and sweet potato + the sausage in the freezer to make sausage gravy and biscuits. Total: $0.

Even with an off week where I am eating out a ton I'm still spending $40 for the whole week. I budget my food by how much it costs to buy When I buy it. (i.e. I count the bag of rice as $15 that week, and $0 for every single serving until I have to buy it again. I count veggies by how much they cost when I buy them, and $0 as ingredients if they're used multiple days/weeks. I do NOT budget based on serving, because sometimes food doesn't last and you throw it out, and I think it makes it too easy to blow a budget..) As long as I stay close to and hopefully under $40 a week it is a good week to me.

Example of a grocery haul I made recently.. this was probably 2-3 weeks ago and many of these ingredients will last me multiple weeks or even over a month:

- Sashimi grade frozen tuna - $15
- Bottle of wasabi - $1
- Bottle of ginger - $2
- Miso paste - $4
- Various vegetables including limes, napa cabbage, potatoes, various mushrooms, lettuce, and carrots - $10
- Fruit and a tub of yogurt - $3
- Pre-made snacks of cheese, dried fruit, and chocolate pieces inside that were 3/$1 - $2

Total: $37. If I buy a cheaper meat like shrimp (usually $7 a bag at aldi or $8 at the asian grocery), or canned tuna, or chicken and tofu, this would go way down, and I've had grocery hauls that were closer to $20-30 and had much more in it, but the tuna was on sale and I like making poke bowls at home so I went for it and adjusted a bit. I haven't eaten that tuna yet, but probably will defrost it next week to have 2 days of fish when I know I'll be busy and home to eat.

A couple weeks from now I'll be defrosting and roasting an entire turkey, because it was only $5 for the big guy on clearance after thanksgiving, and I will have access to an electric roaster I can borrow from a friend when they get back from their honeymoon. That turkey will be split up, shredded, and packaged into the freezer as multiple weeks worth of meat, and I'll make some broth from the bones and freeze that as well... which will free up my budget for over a month to add some nice things I normally don't get to buy with meat taking up my budget. So a week of nice sushi, or a bowl of pho or homemade shabu shabu, or even just nicer ingredients from Trader Joes or something. Whatever I decide really.

So, that's basically my week and some of my budgeting in a nutshell! Not a great display of a super healthy week, but one that's typical of what I am doing, and even with inconsistencies in my schedule, a consistent budget with just a tiny bit of foresight and planning.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Finally starting to loose wieght, about 5lbs in two weeks.

A lot was just because I had to cut out dairy. No dairy, fewer calories AND less coffee, less coffee less sugar.

It’s been very tough to lose wieght since there aren’t really any high-impact exercises I can do. I’ve been doing a lot of hula hooping on my Wii-fit but I’m not sure how effective it will be. Some people say it’s perfect for losing belly fat and other’s say it’s completley pointless.

Hoola hooping is NOT pointless and definitely burns calories! Wii-fit is really fun, we used to do it all the time when we had one. :heart:

Your friends are right in that it doesn't help lose belly fat--because No exercise works that way. You lose fat, and it will melt off as your body can. If you eat more calories than you burn, you won't lose any, but in general any exercise helps toward fat-loss goals. Doesn't matter if it's super serious stuff or fun games and hoola hoops. Weight lifting will help in this a lot, because much of it is low impact, and building muscles will help burn fat easier especially if you have knee/joint issues and cannot run, jump, have no access to a pool or can't swim, etc.

If you're looking for any low-impact exercises though to change it up, fitness blender does offer many full low-impact exercise programs.
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

We used to just change regular workouts for my mom too. If it was too fast, she just slowed it down. If it called for jumping, she stepped. If she had to get on the floor, we paused it and gave her time to get down safely. If it was too difficult, she just marched in place instead. We did this for P90X and worked out together, and it worked out rather well for her.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can now deadlift 200lbs very easily. My leg press is at 350lbs. My bench press is still shit at 140lbs (working on imbalances after an injury). My squat is about 190lbs.

I would like to work overhead presses back into my routine along with farmer's carries. My farmer's carries are currently 130lbs and I walk about half a mile around the gym with them.

I lost a little strength recently because I lost some fat (thanks keto!) but I'm back to working my way to the 200lb club!! 💪🏼🏋🏻bless♀️

Yeah, btw, I'm a bodybuilder.

(I'm at my 500th post yay!)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't had a single sugary drink for a whole week now. Tea (unsweetened of course) is an amazing substitute.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION] forces me to drink water by actually holding me down and shoving it down my throat.

Wait a second I think she's actually just waterboarding me

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION] forces me to drink water by actually holding me down and shoving it down my throat.

Wait a second I think she's actually just waterboarding me

*wonders how many people read this and believed it*

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I haven't had a single sugary drink for a whole week now. Tea (unsweetened of course) is an amazing substitute.

This has been my go-to drink for years. Decaf now and I use tea made specifically for iced tea - that really makes a difference.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Going to..

Exercise and eat a bit healthier

Here goes nothing...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Protip: An excellent way to enjoy raw vegetables is to sprinkle extra virgin olive oil on them. I especially like to use it with broccoli and cauliflower.

Lark

Protip: An excellent way to enjoy raw vegetables is to sprinkle extra virgin olive oil on them. I especially like to use it with broccoli and cauliflower.

I'm not sure I would eat Broc of C'flower raw, although I will try the olive oil tip, I have some with truffel bits in it I have to review for Amazon. I might try it with tomato slices and toasted bread. I believe this is a spanish thing.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I do the same. Or I make a ranch dip out of sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and dillweed spice. And put it on them.

Also, not all extra virgin olive oils are pure. Some are cut with soybean oil, especially if it's cheaper. It's best to make sure your EVOO comes from a farmer's co-op since it's less likely to be cut with soy.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to exercise more self control.

If I don't purchase the potato chips, I won't be able to eat potato chips.
Therefore a new rule - no purchasing of potato chips! :)

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going back to low-er carb lifestyle. Cauliflower rice with stir fry at least a few times a week for dinner.
No more indian food for lunch. :)

Lifestyle, all about lifestyle.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I do the same. Or I make a ranch dip out of sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and dillweed spice. And put it on them.

Also, not all extra virgin olive oils are pure. Some are cut with soybean oil, especially if it's cheaper. It's best to make sure your EVOO comes from a farmer's co-op since it's less likely to be cut with soy.

You can always look right on the package, it need not always come from a co-op. It is mandated to list the ingredients on the package, so if you see anything listed other than olive oil than it's likely cut with something. This isn't always a bad thing though, I tend to mix canola and olive oil together when making recipes so the olive oil doesn't overpower more delicate recipes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Almost done with January! I'll check in and see how I did and make a plan for February here soon! The cold was more bitter than an old man that has young noisy neighbors here in NC, but I'm hoping for a warmer (maybe soggier) February.. Running is going to be a big deal for me, and I need to get started on it. :( My Eczema flared up several times this month in a really bad way, and I could hardly walk sometimes without intense itching and fire-ant-feelings on my legs. Still, I managed to get shit done my own way, and I'm ready to strike at month 2 head on!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

UPDATE: Sesame oil works well, too.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can always look right on the package, it need not always come from a co-op.

Firstly, it's best to find EVOO from a co-op because co-ops are least likely to have been cut with soybean oil or other oils due to their higher quality controls. Also, because the co-ops are usually regional and coming from ONE source area: like only Spain, only Portugal, etc. Whereas, cheaper EVOOs cut with soybean oil can come from multiple sources. Like how one Bertolli EVOO bottle has multiple sources from: Italy, Greece, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, and Portugal. This is a major problem because suppliers are not always regulated and is more likely to increase cross-contamination.

The most common form of adulteration comes from mixing extra virgin olive oil with cheaper, lower-grade oils. Sometimes, it’s an oil from an altogether different source — like canola oil or colza oil. Other times, they blend extra virgin olive oil with a poorer quality olive oil. The blended oil is then chemically deodorized, colored, and possibly even flavored and sold as “extra-virgin” oil to a producer. In other words, if you find a major brand name olive oil is fake, it probably isn’t the brand’s fault. Rather, it’s their suppliers.

--- Link: Your Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Is Fake | Food Renegade

It is mandated to list the ingredients on the package, so if you see anything listed other than olive oil than it's likely cut with something.

That's exactly the problem... the label cannot be trusted on its own because there are labeling loop-holes. According to the U.S. FDA, a company is protected when they label things as "natural flavors". It's allows them to keep their personal recipes remaining private but also causes severe concerns. Through this loop-hole, it means they can sneak ingredients into their product like: soybean oil, gluten, MSG, and forms of sugar syrups. Soybean oil is also falsely labeled as "vegetable oil".

--- LINK: What are natural flavors, and are they healthy? | Well+Good

This isn't always a bad thing though, I tend to mix canola and olive oil together when making recipes so the olive oil doesn't overpower more delicate recipes.

It is a bad thing because people have some serious soybean allergies. And there are no strict laws to protect those with these allergies.

Anyway, I feel like this is a good topic to discuss since its helpful for a healthy, cancer-free lifestyle.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going back to low-er carb lifestyle. Cauliflower rice with stir fry at least a few times a week for dinner.
No more indian food for lunch. :)

Lifestyle, all about lifestyle.

Wishing you nothing but the best! I always cook my cauliflower rice in the leftover bacon grease (aka lard) that I have. Adds a wholeeeee new flavor. NOMNOMNOM!