User Tag List

First 152324252627 Last

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Starting this month, I am going to try to lift 4x a week. We'll see what happens.
    Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiver (INFP) with highly-developed Te | 5w4 (some days the 4 wins out!)
    Likes Tater, xenaprincess liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    Starting this month, I am going to try to lift 4x a week. We'll see what happens.
    What are you going to lift?

Are you going to take breaks in between or how are you going to space it out do you think? Morning or evening lifting?

I'm interested because I lift dumbells a lot and I always think about another sort of lifting regime or routine.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What are you going to lift?

Are you going to take breaks in between or how are you going to space it out do you think? Morning or evening lifting?

I'm interested because I lift dumbells a lot and I always think about another sort of lifting regime or routine.
    Well, I don't have any dumbbells but I do have free weights; going to start off with just 10 lbs. and work my way up. I don't think time of day matters, but I'm thinking when I first get up. I think it's a good idea to push yourself, but also to take a couple breaks in between - don't wanna overdo it. Also from what I've read, this is the key to resistance training. A guy on this fitness site I've been perusing is almost anti-cardio; he thinks the only way to really lose fat and build muscle definition is thru resistance training, and advocates keeping workouts short, but putting your all into it and then letting your body "recover."
    Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiver (INFP) with highly-developed Te | 5w4 (some days the 4 wins out!)

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    Well, I don't have any dumbbells but I do have free weights; going to start off with just 10 lbs. and work my way up. I don't think time of day matters, but I'm thinking when I first get up. I think it's a good idea to push yourself, but also to take a couple breaks in between - don't wanna overdo it. Also from what I've read, this is the key to resistance training. A guy on this fitness site I've been perusing is almost anti-cardio; he thinks the only way to really lose fat and build muscle definition is thru resistance training, and advocates keeping workouts short, but putting your all into it and then letting your body "recover."
    I hear a lot of debates about lifting heavy and very few reps or lifting light but lots of reps for different sorts of results in terms of strength or body definition.

Are free weights the same as dumb bells and bar bells or is that different? I hadnt thought of the possibility that you were talking about resistance or cable machines, I lift the dumb bells, which are heavier iron ones now, instead of doing push ups as I cant do push ups, I'm not sure why but I'm not able to.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I hear a lot of debates about lifting heavy and very few reps or lifting light but lots of reps for different sorts of results in terms of strength or body definition.

Are free weights the same as dumb bells and bar bells or is that different? I hadnt thought of the possibility that you were talking about resistance or cable machines, I lift the dumb bells, which are heavier iron ones now, instead of doing push ups as I cant do push ups, I'm not sure why but I'm not able to.
    Whoops, I think they're actually the same thing after a cursory internet search. Barbells, well, those have a bar as the name would suggest. I don't have any equipment like you mentioned, and I'm not going to bother joining a gym. I am a bit limited with where I live right now, but my family keeps weights and a treadmill and nordic track in a room in our basement.

Re: push ups - they are hard to do many of. Same with squats...
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    649 so/sp

I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....
    I will not drink....

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    I've reached a plateau doing 100 push-ups daily.
    Now doing 2 sets of 60 daily. (120)
    Likes Lady Lazarus, Dreamer, Tilt, Raffaella liked this post

Does anyone who is a techno wizard know how we could create a group on the fit bit that could double as a healthy habits group? I know not everyone has access to the tech but I would include you guys in challenges and vic versa join yours

I have exciting news. I'll share and post pics in due time! Soon!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I just shared this with my friends, but I'll share it here because it's relevant.

The paradigm shift from exercising to 'stay thin' vs exercising to *stay fit* is huge and I think so important. For me, and I realize this is going to seem unfair to others, but for me, I started becoming very out of shape over the past few years or so, but part of why that happened was because I was still pretty thin and so didn't 'need' to exercise so much (that was my rationalization). But what I didn't realize (and now I do, in retrospect / in comparison) is that I had lost almost all of my muscle tone and definition, and cardiovascularly wasn't super healthy or fit. But I didn't have a huge amount of motivation or really 'need' to get out and exercise, because I looked thin. Even when I was running more last spring and kicking things up a notch, I was only doing that like once a week or a couple of times a month, which isn't much at all. Well anyway, early this year it just hit me that I had no muscle tone anymore (compared to how I was in college, when I worked out a lot AND ate a lot lol), so that's what prompted my starting to do planks almost every day, and shifting from 'eh, I'm just gonna be lazy because I don't really 'need' to run because I'm skinny', to kicking my ass outside and doing a 2.5 mile walk at minimum (if I did indeed lazy-out and not run), which typically always shifts into running the entire time and for example today, doing 4.5 miles because it felt so good once I got into doing it. Anyway -- staying fit and feeling good. That's my new reason for getting my butt off the chair. And I'm loving feeling strong / muscle-y again.

So for me this year I'm focusing not on the 'I don't need to because..... X' aspect of thought patterns that I used to have, to it not being a matter of 'need' (ie being fit isn't totally tied to a person's weight (statement of the obvious)), but rather a matter and focus of actually *being fit and healthy* and living that. Building strength and endurance.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints