First 8910111220 Last

heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Protip: An excellent way to enjoy raw vegetables is to sprinkle extra virgin olive oil on them. I especially like to use it with broccoli and cauliflower.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Protip: An excellent way to enjoy raw vegetables is to sprinkle extra virgin olive oil on them. I especially like to use it with broccoli and cauliflower.
    I'm not sure I would eat Broc of C'flower raw, although I will try the olive oil tip, I have some with truffel bits in it I have to review for Amazon. I might try it with tomato slices and toasted bread. I believe this is a spanish thing.
    Likes xenaprincess liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I do the same. Or I make a ranch dip out of sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and dillweed spice. And put it on them.

Also, not all extra virgin olive oils are pure. Some are cut with soybean oil, especially if it's cheaper. It's best to make sure your EVOO comes from a farmer's co-op since it's less likely to be cut with soy.
    Likes Metis liked this post

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have to exercise more self control.

If I don't purchase the potato chips, I won't be able to eat potato chips.
    Therefore a new rule - no purchasing of potato chips!

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Going back to low-er carb lifestyle. Cauliflower rice with stir fry at least a few times a week for dinner.
    No more indian food for lunch.

Lifestyle, all about lifestyle.
    Likes biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    I do the same. Or I make a ranch dip out of sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and dillweed spice. And put it on them.

Also, not all extra virgin olive oils are pure. Some are cut with soybean oil, especially if it's cheaper. It's best to make sure your EVOO comes from a farmer's co-op since it's less likely to be cut with soy.
    You can always look right on the package, it need not always come from a co-op. It is mandated to list the ingredients on the package, so if you see anything listed other than olive oil than it's likely cut with something. This isn't always a bad thing though, I tend to mix canola and olive oil together when making recipes so the olive oil doesn't overpower more delicate recipes.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Almost done with January! I'll check in and see how I did and make a plan for February here soon! The cold was more bitter than an old man that has young noisy neighbors here in NC, but I'm hoping for a warmer (maybe soggier) February.. Running is going to be a big deal for me, and I need to get started on it. My Eczema flared up several times this month in a really bad way, and I could hardly walk sometimes without intense itching and fire-ant-feelings on my legs. Still, I managed to get shit done my own way, and I'm ready to strike at month 2 head on!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post

UPDATE: Sesame oil works well, too.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    You can always look right on the package, it need not always come from a co-op.
    Firstly, it's best to find EVOO from a co-op because co-ops are least likely to have been cut with soybean oil or other oils due to their higher quality controls. Also, because the co-ops are usually regional and coming from ONE source area: like only Spain, only Portugal, etc. Whereas, cheaper EVOOs cut with soybean oil can come from multiple sources. Like how one Bertolli EVOO bottle has multiple sources from: Italy, Greece, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, and Portugal. This is a major problem because suppliers are not always regulated and is more likely to increase cross-contamination.

The most common form of adulteration comes from mixing extra virgin olive oil with cheaper, lower-grade oils. Sometimes, it’s an oil from an altogether different source — like canola oil or colza oil. Other times, they blend extra virgin olive oil with a poorer quality olive oil. The blended oil is then chemically deodorized, colored, and possibly even flavored and sold as “extra-virgin” oil to a producer. In other words, if you find a major brand name olive oil is fake, it probably isn’t the brand’s fault. Rather, it’s their suppliers.
    --- Link: Your Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Is Fake | Food Renegade

It is mandated to list the ingredients on the package, so if you see anything listed other than olive oil than it's likely cut with something.
    That's exactly the problem... the label cannot be trusted on its own because there are labeling loop-holes. According to the U.S. FDA, a company is protected when they label things as "natural flavors". It's allows them to keep their personal recipes remaining private but also causes severe concerns. Through this loop-hole, it means they can sneak ingredients into their product like: soybean oil, gluten, MSG, and forms of sugar syrups. Soybean oil is also falsely labeled as "vegetable oil".

--- LINK: What are natural flavors, and are they healthy? | Well+Good

This isn't always a bad thing though, I tend to mix canola and olive oil together when making recipes so the olive oil doesn't overpower more delicate recipes.
    It is a bad thing because people have some serious soybean allergies. And there are no strict laws to protect those with these allergies.

Anyway, I feel like this is a good topic to discuss since its helpful for a healthy, cancer-free lifestyle.
    Likes Xann, magpie liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    Going back to low-er carb lifestyle. Cauliflower rice with stir fry at least a few times a week for dinner.
    No more indian food for lunch.

Lifestyle, all about lifestyle.
    Wishing you nothing but the best! I always cook my cauliflower rice in the leftover bacon grease (aka lard) that I have. Adds a wholeeeee new flavor. NOMNOMNOM!
    Likes xenaprincess liked this post