Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default ADHD

This is a general thread on ADD/ADHD. I'll pose some questions to get started but feel free to share anything you would like on this topic and your personal relationship with it.

Whichever variation you have, what have been your personal challenges with it? How did you manage those challenges? Have you come up with any coping mechanisms or strategies to better work with and manage your symptoms?

If there is at all any silver lining to being "blessed" with this animal, where do you find it to be? How has this altered your experience and perception of it upon making this realization?

Do do you feel it owns you or that you own it? If you find yourself in the category of feeling like you own ADHD and not the other way around, what strategies have you used to get you to that level?

*Oddball MBTI related question thrown in for fun :

There is a perception out there held by some, understandably, that ADHD is essentially Ne, or vice versa. That is, if you see someone either with ADHD or Ne high in their stacking and proficiency (I'd imagine the ENPs appear as the ADHD type, and the INPs appear as the ADD types) then the two are interchange.

So, the questions that follows are: Have you mistyped yourself or others, to your knowledge, due to the sometimes similar outward behaviors between the diagnosis and the function? Do you think there is some relationship between the two?
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 8(?). Way back in the early 80’s when it wasn’t yet a trendy label thrown on people en masse to feed the pharmaceutical companies insatiable appetite for other people’s money. I joke that it was not a disorder but a chronic lack of interest in the world. Actually concentrating on anything for more than a few minutes was extremely difficult because my mind was like the press corps at a press conference, asking a million questions at once. My head was always a crowded highway of ideas. Ideas driving along yelling at the kids in the backseat as they hopped on or exited at the numerous ramps. It was almost impossible at times to focus. Back then society knew next to nothing about ADD or any number of other learning disabilities. It was always Population: 1 is a smart child but he doesn’t apply himself. Otherwise it was Pop’s a space shot or a dreamer. I think that was another reason I spent so much time by myself as a kid. It kept my mind a bit calmer and more focused if I had less external input to deal with. Gaggles of other kids were just too much information.

It had some advantages attached to it. Divergent thinking in overdrive means you can explore a thousand thoughts in an hour and maybe find novel solutions to problems people haven’t approached you with yet. I had a love/hate relationship with it really so depending on when you asked I’d be angry that I couldn’t focus or I’d be psyched I’d found an answer to something before the rest of the class because my mind skipped those pesky middle steps in a process. I don’t think it owns me or I own it. We coexist. It’s part of the equipment I use to navigate life. It doesn’t always comply but it functions and it’s allowed me to look at a lot of things in very unusual ways.

I don’t have a particular strategy for trying to tame it. Age helps. Everything slows down eventually. I tried er non prescription solutions for quite a while. Marijuana in particular. I found it slowed down the disorganized information superhighway that is my brain. Now I go for walks in nature. Which is something I have always done but over the years it really has helped to calm my mind to feel the flow of surroundings uncluttered by the overload of human nonsense. Having ADD in a world that is now suffering from it (probably more ADHD really) as a collective through electronic overstimulation makes retreating to our ancestral environment even more necessary.

I’ve probably mistyped everyone. I’m barely an apprentice in the MBTI world.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

I was diagnosed young with ADD by a school psychologist. In around first grade. They gave me some accomodations such as- since I was advanced in most subjects- the ability to leave the room during times when I was 'bored' and work in independent work. Mostly that year it was writing this story about aliens. Filled up a whole notebook with a story that I wrote in my spare time that year. Which really, for a first grader, was quite a bit of writing.

I changed schools in second grade. Changed districts. And I guess the ADD thing was just forgotten or my parents didnt insist or something because after that I wasnt given any special accomodations. (Before I had also gotten my pick of seats in class and the ability to take tests separately)

Anyways. From second grade on- nothing.

I was able to handle it mostly until middle school. Then. It was like. Everything was so scattered. Like I was drowning almost. I could DO the work but at the same time I couldnt. Id forget or Id lose it or I just, because I couldnt really pay attention during the day-and would put the work off- I would, when it was a few months into the semestsr- decide to try to get all the work done at once- and would get frustrated because it would just feel like too much.

This went on- this almost total avoidance of work- this total... just... awfulness I felt at school. Until Senior year of highschool.

Senior year of high school I discovered that I COULD do the work... IF I took enough breaks in between it. So I began taking 20-30 minute bathroom breaks in every class. I think my teachers were annoyed by this but... at the same time... Senior year the lowest grade I had in any class was a 98. When the year before it was a 17. So I guess they just figured... they didnt want to complain too much because well. I was doing a lot better doing what I was doing. One of my teachers told me that she found me really interesting because what was hard for me was easy for most everyone else, but what was easy for me was hard for most everyone else.

College. It both is a problem and isnt. When I get VERY interested in something I can generally hyper-focus on it and become jusr... pretty damn good at it if I say so myself. Like- Ill know everyhing about, around, inside, outside- even REMOTELY related to the subject- and if Im REALLY interested I can learn all of this REALLY quickly. But if Im NOT interested... even if I try really hard.... I find it hard to learn about something.

Adderall helps. It makes me less of a spaz definitely. The last 2 times I worked I didnt take adderall and this last time I worked I accidently charged the register 50 dollars instead of 5. Which wouldnt have been too bad except half an hour later I charged the register 20 dollars instead of 2. Had to write little apology notes so it would be voided.I make so many more careless mistakes when Im not taking adderall than when I am. But there are downsides to adderall too. Such as... its hard to eat and makes me anxious. So i dont generally take it unless I need to/have class or something.

But I do find it helpful.

And yes. I type myself as an NP. I am around 99% sure that Ne is one of my top two functions. I think that- it can be really similar to ADD- and I think it might account for the 'can concentrate on subjects of interest' part of mine. But sometimes... I feel like... the ADD really is different. I mean. I can really really really try to focus- (usually stiff that is Se is hardest for me- responding immediately to my physical environment is not something Im great it- explains how I frequently injure myself and how several people in my likfe have given me the nicknames 'Grace' (sarcastically) and 'Spaz'- So memorization is hard for me too. I have a shit memory really- for stuff that doesnt interest me- which is a lot when it comes to subjects requiring a lot of blanket memorization)

So yeah. Thats me and ADHD. I WAS at the start of the year diagnosed as 'combined'- but now in the last couple months its been changed to predominantly inattentive. Which predominantly it is- but I suppose the inability to sit still in classes without moving frequently might be a combined sign. So its really- I guess it could be either. Guess its not a super strict black and white thing.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Digital Lion liked this post

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

SQUIRREL!

- - - Updated - - -

(seriously though, I have ADHD and I'll be back to comment)
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch, Luminous liked this post

Softserve Ice Cream Agent Washington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I was diagnosed young with ADD by a school psychologist. In around first grade. They gave me some accomodations such as- since I was advanced in most subjects- the ability to leave the room during times when I was 'bored' and work in independent work. Mostly that year it was writing this story about aliens. Filled up a whole notebook with a story that I wrote in my spare time that year. Which really, for a first grader, was quite a bit of writing.

I changed schools in second grade. Changed districts. And I guess the ADD thing was just forgotten or my parents didnt insist or something because after that I wasnt given any special accomodations. (Before I had also gotten my pick of seats in class and the ability to take tests separately)

Anyways. From second grade on- nothing.

I was able to handle it mostly until middle school. Then. It was like. Everything was so scattered. Like I was drowning almost. I could DO the work but at the same time I couldnt. Id forget or Id lose it or I just, because I couldnt really pay attention during the day-and would put the work off- I would, when it was a few months into the semestsr- decide to try to get all the work done at once- and would get frustrated because it would just feel like too much.

This went on- this almost total avoidance of work- this total... just... awfulness I felt at school. Until Senior year of highschool.

Senior year of high school I discovered that I COULD do the work... IF I took enough breaks in between it. So I began taking 20-30 minute bathroom breaks in every class. I think my teachers were annoyed by this but... at the same time... Senior year the lowest grade I had in any class was a 98. When the year before it was a 17. So I guess they just figured... they didnt want to complain too much because well. I was doing a lot better doing what I was doing. One of my teachers told me that she found me really interesting because what was hard for me was easy for most everyone else, but what was easy for me was hard for most everyone else.

College. It both is a problem and isnt. When I get VERY interested in something I can generally hyper-focus on it and become jusr... pretty damn good at it if I say so myself. Like- Ill know everyhing about, around, inside, outside- even REMOTELY related to the subject- and if Im REALLY interested I can learn all of this REALLY quickly. But if Im NOT interested... even if I try really hard.... I find it hard to learn about something.

Adderall helps. It makes me less of a spaz definitely. The last 2 times I worked I didnt take adderall and this last time I worked I accidently charged the register 50 dollars instead of 5. Which wouldnt have been too bad except half an hour later I charged the register 20 dollars instead of 2. Had to write little apology notes so it would be voided.I make so many more careless mistakes when Im not taking adderall than when I am. But there are downsides to adderall too. Such as... its hard to eat and makes me anxious. So i dont generally take it unless I need to/have class or something.

But I do find it helpful.

And yes. I type myself as an NP. I am around 99% sure that Ne is one of my top two functions. I think that- it can be really similar to ADD- and I think it might account for the 'can concentrate on subjects of interest' part of mine. But sometimes... I feel like... the ADD really is different. I mean. I can really really really try to focus- (usually stiff that is Se is hardest for me- responding immediately to my physical environment is not something Im great it- explains how I frequently injure myself and how several people in my likfe have given me the nicknames 'Grace' (sarcastically) and 'Spaz'- So memorization is hard for me too. I have a shit memory really- for stuff that doesnt interest me- which is a lot when it comes to subjects requiring a lot of blanket memorization)

So yeah. Thats me and ADHD. I WAS at the start of the year diagnosed as 'combined'- but now in the last couple months its been changed to predominantly inattentive. Which predominantly it is- but I suppose the inability to sit still in classes without moving frequently might be a combined sign. So its really- I guess it could be either. Guess its not a super strict black and white thing.
    This... sounds like me

I type as intp in online tests (but i'm not)
    There's no love in fear.
    - Tool

Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    - Richard Siken
    Likes Frosty liked this post

Actually, statistically high Se is associated with ADHD more than Ne, however I can totally see how both would be correlated.

I stumbled upon this the other day during my normal research on types and found it really interesting. There are links for each "house" of MBTI and the mental illnesses that correlate to each type: Myers Briggs and Mental Illness Part 3 - The Artisans - Psychology Junkie

My brother is an ESTP and is the poster child for ADHD. He was absolutely fucking crazy as a child and put on Ritalin rather young. Unfortunately, he seems to also have some issues with lack of empathy (possibly narcissistic but we haven't really spoken at all throughout our adult lives) and physical aggression. He has a long rap sheet of legal offenses and is a convicted felon.

I was also diagnosed with ADHD very young, and I vaguely remember being really sleepy on the meds so I just stopped taking them. I have a box of projects and assignments I did in school going back to first grade, and on some of my earliest reports, teachers made statements such as "<Peter> has a hard time completing projects she starts." I have a horrible memory, unless it comes to facts I find interesting or things people said that stick out in my mind, in which case I can remember things verbatim for years and years. I struggle to remember anything from my childhood, and all of my visual memories are really quite vague and fuzzy (no Si???), even to this day. I have a hard time getting routine tasks done, like checking my mail, doing dishes/laundry right away, paying bills or managing my appointments, etc. I always somehow manage to get things done without lists as I am constantly making mental lists and reminding myself of what needs to be done, but deadlines are completely... uh... I can't even think of the word right now, which is another big problem for me. But yes, deadlines... I don't take them very seriously and I know which ones I can get away with not meeting. Like I have a perfect credit score (780 or so), but when it comes to bills that have zero consequences when paid late, I will often be a few days or even a couple weeks behind (because I don't make lists). Then I'll think to myself "oh shit! you fucking forgot to pay that bill! what is wrong with you, you really need to get your shit together." So, even though I don't take it too seriously at the time (I even often consciously say "fuck it, it can wait" to things), I still end up feeling inadequate and mad at myself in the end.

Another thing is that although I am not physically all over the place, I am almost always fidgeting somehow. It's usually my legs, and I find that sitting in a rocking chair helps me. Now that I think of it, this has probably gotten a bit better over the years, but in comparison to others, I fidget and readjust my position quite often. In terms of impulsivity, it's much less physical and more emotional for me. Like, I won't do risky things or make rash decisions on impulse, but I have a hard time managing my stronger emotions, particularly irritation, anger, or that judgemental side of me. This has caused me a lot of issues or at least shame over the years. Probably both. It's not that I explode (although I have done that in the past), but it's that the smallest shit will irritate me and I just can't keep it in. I hate distractions when I am trying to focus on something and I can get snappy with people when they break my concentration. I also sometimes voice my opinion too openly without thought of consequences or get pissy when people don't see that they are being inconsiderate or blind to certain things. It's usually just in the form of being a bit huffy or detached in an annoyed manner.

Sometimes this is a good thing though as I have a very long history of being the lone person to stand up in certain scenarios where others are too fearful to do so. I cannot tell you how many times I have offered to people I work with "if you don't wanna say something, I will do it for you or go with you to back you up." This happens a lot in my field of work where customers or bosses just don't get the risks and liability involved in certain situations and don't consider the well-being of associates.

I digress. (Another thing I do often.)

I also do that thing where I make eye contact with people and nod along to what they're saying and then realize 5 minutes later that I haven't absorbed a word of what they said. Same with reading. I have to reread pages like 3-4 times. Usually I take that as a sign that I should just switch tasks and find something else to do. I also space out a lot, which may or may not be related (Do you do that too?). I had an ex who used to ask me if I was "looking into the future" because I did it so often.

In terms of intelligence or performance though, I have always thought of myself as someone who is highly capable and can do anything I put my mind to. It's a bit of a sore spot because I feel like the poster child for wasted potential. I went back to college after I had kids and took some classes while working too. I think I have something like 24 credits and my GPA is 4.0. I stopped going because I didn't have the support and encouragement needed because my marriage was unhealthy. Speaking of that, my ex-husband is also diagnosed ADHD and is scattered as fuck and loses shit all the time and can't do anything he's supposed to (short rant, haha). He is an ESFJ with a high need for attention (he's an unhealthy e3), but he is more along the lines of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

We have 2 kids together and both have had some behavioral issues. My daughter has mostly grown out of them but still occasionally has some difficulty managing her emotions. I used to think she maybe had ADHD, but now I see she is more on the anxiety/shame line. My best guess for her type thus far is EXFJ. My son has had A LOT of issues with his behavior and focus. He started kindergarten this year and I have already had 3 calls from the principal, 1 from his art teacher, and multiple notes from his regular teacher. They have done some things to help him in class, but I can tell by the frequency of contact and the repeated recommendations of speaking with his pediatrician that they want me to put him on meds, even though they won't say that. I do indeed think he has ADHD, but I refuse to put my 6-year-old on medication, so I will exhaust all options first and may even have to have a meeting with the principal in which I school him on the effects of medication on developing brains. My son is an obvious NTP (and I fucking love everything about his silliness and creativity). I wouldn't want my kids to lose their emotional nature or creativity respectively because I think those will be their greatest strengths as they age, as long as they have the support and resources they need.

I have been trying to get medication for my ADHD for almost a year now and have been turned down twice. The first time was because I lost too much weight during a depressive episode and my doctor was concerned that the medication would weaken my appetite causing me to lose more weight. I worked very hard to put all the weight back on and am now up to my highest non-pregnancy weight, but now they won't treat me because I have erratic blood pressure levels that like to run up to 140/90 or so. It's been frustrating to say the least because it's not easy to recognize that medication could help you only to be turned away when you ask for help.
    Likes Frosty, Digital Lion, Lia_kat liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

These are all such fantastic posts and go into quite a bit of depth with how you each personally view and understand your ADHD, thanks guys!

Will post my own experiences here once I get the chance ...if I can remember (an ADHD joke for y’all, but no, seriously, if I don’t come back by tonight, someone please remind me )
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    These are all such fantastic posts and go into quite a bit of depth with how you each personally view and understand your ADHD, thanks guys!

Will post my own experiences here once I get the chance ...if I can remember (an ADHD joke for y’all, but no, seriously, if I don’t come back by tonight, someone please remind me )
    *ahem...*
    Likes prplchknz, Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

excuse me good sir do you mind sharing your life with us?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Dreamer liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ADHD... diagnosed young, but I was a bright kid so my parents decided not to medicate me because my grades were still good

I went on medication as an adult because I've never been able to concentrate on anything and I needed to for my job (they didn't like the fact that I would get distracted and run off in the middle of conversations and such for some odd reason) and I'm glad that I did. I can't say that the medication makes me great at focusing on things, but it does take me to almost the level where the average person is, so up to almost average is good enough for me I guess. I actually have gotten really good at organizing things just because I know that if I keep things organized and structured there's less of a chance that my running off will be too detrimental. I also carry an ink pen in my hair to write notes down on my hands and arms so that I don't forget what I'm supposed to be doing.

The extra energy I have has always been immensely useful with getting things done... if I can focus enough to direct it in a productive direction. I have a higher energy level than just about anyone I know and it makes me good at what I do. I'm also pretty good at switching gears quickly... though that's frequently a BAD thing.
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes Ravenetta liked this post