• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a few questions for you guys. Please let me know your thoughts/opinions.

Nice questions. I'd like to answer. For clarity's sake, what do you mean about when the 'thoughts stop'? From how you phrase it, it seems that you can either mean the stop of the flow of thoughts, meaning you are thinking or focusing only on the present task (which is still a thought), or did you mean just the entire stop of thoughts- completely blank, going on autopilot? (or either?)

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nice questions. I'd like to answer. For clarity's sake, what do you mean about when the 'thoughts stop'? From how you phrase it, it seems that you can either mean the stop of the flow of thoughts, meaning you are thinking or focusing only on the present task (which is still a thought), or did you mean just the entire stop of thoughts- completely blank, going on autopilot? (or either?)

Thanks. I meant focusing only on the present task. Sorry for the confusion. Looking forward to your answers! :)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Answers to Lia_kat's questions.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not to self diagnose, but I do wonder if I have this. My therapist thinks it's a good possibility, been talking to people about it and they think I should get tested. I got screened at the doctor's for it, except they never told me if I had it or not???

It's hard to for me to do anything without music, which apparently is an ADHD thing. I make little mistakes constantly and I've had this pacing habit since I was a kid. People are always like, "Why don't you sit down??", and I'm just too antsy to sit down. Besides classes, I don't even have the attention span to watch a movie or read a book half the time. I explained to my therapist that it feels like my mind is speeding a mile a minute, and yet when I'm asked what's on my mind I forget almost everything. It may or not be ADHD, but whatever it is it's getting annoying. I'm planning on seeing a doctor for it in January though.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
[MENTION=27014]Lia_kat[/MENTION]

[MENTION=38618]Bismuth Blitz[/MENTION] a doctor isn't able to screen you. Unless you mean your psychiatrist? I don't know how it works in your country, but to get an official diagnosis you usually have to take various tests. In total these tests might take three hours or more to finish them.
But it wouldn't be a bad idea to get tested indeed. How was middle school and high school for you? And socializing?

[MENTION=35920]Earl Grey[/MENTION]. Some parts you described (such as picking up the pencil) sound like Executive Dysfunction. (Or maybe it's just the same as brain fog? Not sure rn)

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=27014]Lia_kat[/MENTION]

[MENTION=38618]Bismuth Blitz[/MENTION] a doctor isn't able to screen you. Unless you mean your psychiatrist? I don't know how it works in your country, but to get an official diagnosis you usually have to take various tests. In total these tests might take three hours or more to finish them.
But it wouldn't be a bad idea to get tested indeed. How was middle school and high school for you? And socializing?

Ahhh yeah, psychiatrist I mean. Like I'm getting a referral. Middle school and high were a mess. I was pretty lonely especially in high school-was quiet and had trouble relating to people. I wasn't the best at schoolwork and it sucks because I was all gifted in stuff in elementary stuff and I love learning. But I just went downhill somehow. I zoned out a lot, took forever to write things, wasn't good at math, wasn't good at keeping organized. I doodled a lot in class and I still do today.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@Earl Grey. Some parts you described (such as picking up the pencil) sound like Executive Dysfunction. (Or maybe it's just the same as brain fog? Not sure rn)

Nice catch! It is! ADHD is one of the many disorders that impair executive functioning. I actually found an article about executive dysfunction before I was diagnosed with ADHD, and it was something that actually helped me with- not as much realize that something wasn't normal (I'm as abnormal as a pink elephant, can't be missed) but exactly what and how. Helped me chart and note down my symptoms to get a very swift diagnosis.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Ahhh yeah, psychiatrist I mean. Like I'm getting a referral. Middle school and high were a mess. I was pretty lonely especially in high school-was quiet and had trouble relating to people. I wasn't the best at schoolwork and it sucks because I was all gifted in stuff in elementary stuff and I love learning. But I just went downhill somehow. I zoned out a lot, took forever to write things, wasn't good at math, wasn't good at keeping organized. I doodled a lot in class and I still do today.
It's strange that they never talked to you again about it? Some psychiatrists just suck tho.

That generally sounds like AD(H)D. Though some things might also be related to ASD. There's a big overlap between the symptoms of ASD and ADHD, there's a big correlation/comorbidity too. With so many mental illnesses/disorders... It's sometimes hard to distinguish what these symptoms could relate to. So that's why it's important to find yourself a good doctor. They will normally also interview someone who has known you as a kid, be it a parent, caretaker,... So they can get the whole 'picture'.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I was doing some 'research' on body-focused repetitive behavior (BFRB), more specifically on dermatillomania, aka; excoriation disorder, or skin picking disorder (SPD). I came across this article.

It was that it was almost 3AM so I held myself back to write a post but boy- was I mad. Not about the article, it's good. But about -again- the fact that people are so uneducated about AD(H)D. Not that I expect everyone to be educated, but even most therapists are not educated on (common) comorbidities that come with ADHD. It's still mostly seen as this disorder that only affects your behavior in school, or your results,... As if we only live to go to school, get a job and then die. We don't have a life aside of that. Or yeah- we do but it's supposedly not able to affect is in our free time. The ADHD gene stays at school or at our job. The well trained pets that they are.

"BFRBs have been long thought of as part of the obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) family. Currently only a few studies are looking at BFRBs in people with ADHD. Based on my experience, many patients with BFRBs do not have OCD, but ADHD. Anecdotal evidence suggests that attention deficit predisposes them to developing these problems.

BFRBs elevate dopamine levels in the brain, and the ADHD brain needs more stimulus to feel rewarded than non-ADHD brains. Some patients say that BFRBs are a form of fidgeting. One patient says that she focuses better in class when she chews the inside of her cheek.

Donna didn’t have a problem with BFRBs until she began using stimulant medication. Just as ADHD stimulants may lead to tics in vulnerable individuals, so might the medications lead to BFRBs. The roles played by stimulants (and at what dosages) and the presence of other conditions are still subjects for study."

(Medication also absolutely made my BFRBs worse, though I already had them before I started using medication.)

And oh well, even I am uneducated about my own disorder. It took some time for me to figure out how and why BFRB is connected with ADHD.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was doing some 'research' on body-focused repetitive behavior (BFRB), more specifically on dermatillomania, aka; excoriation disorder, or skin picking disorder (SPD). I came across this article.
[...]
And oh well, even I am uneducated about my own disorder. It took some time for me to figure out how and why BFRB is connected with ADHD.

I wonder how much of it is specifically picking at one's own body, or if it can be redirected, say with stress balls, or some kind of repetitive movement? There is my concern that completely curbing self-soothing behaviours which can be an outlet for managing less healthy symptoms can be damaging, perhaps akin to 'curing' stimming in autism (which is... no, don't do that. Let them stim). Such management is a part of true accessibility that addresses the specific problems person themselves face.

As a slight OOT I have friends who help with extremely simple tasks, all I have to do is say 'dyslexlists is striking again' and they'll help me even if they normally wouldn't have others. I think it's something like, you wouldn't lift half a person's weight up the stairs, but if they are crippled you will help them walk, it just makes sense)

(dyslexlists is just my own self made nickname for when my brain does the manic circus monkey thing, from the words dyslexia & lists)

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I wonder how much of it is specifically picking at one's own body, or if it can be redirected, say with stress balls, or some kind of repetitive movement? There is my concern that completely curbing self-soothing behaviours which can be an outlet for managing less healthy symptoms can be damaging, perhaps akin to 'curing' stimming in autism (which is... no, don't do that. Let them stim). Such management is a part of true accessibility that addresses the specific problems person themselves face.

As a slight OOT I have friends who help with extremely simple tasks, all I have to do is say 'dyslexlists is striking again' and they'll help me even if they normally wouldn't have others. I think it's something like, you wouldn't lift half a person's weight up the stairs, but if they are crippled you will help them walk, it just makes sense)

(dyslexlists is just my own self made nickname for when my brain does the manic circus monkey thing, from the words dyslexia & lists)

I don't think it's impossible but it will definitely take some training. Many websites recommend CBT. As they mention that picking at one's skin can elevate dopamine levels- a stress ball wouldn't have the same (immediate) effect. Endorphins also get released because of the damaging of the skin.
Many tools (fidget toys?) that are used by people with autism are recommended for people with ADHD too (and I mean, everyone who feels the need to use them can). Stimming isn't bad as long as it doesn't interfere with one's daily life and (personal) health*. It would indeed be very wrong to try to reduce that kind of behavior because some people think it's weird/inappropriate.
In my experience, scalp picking is manageable since it doesn't require 'full attention', I can still watch/listen/read but skin picking makes me waste time and severely damages my skin (as does scalp picking).

*Social exclusion excepted. If the environment reacts negatively it can of course have negative side-effects but that's more of a social/external problem. And it can of course interfere with one's daily activities but if it keeps other symptoms under control it's rather an 'advantage'(?)/the best option.

That's pretty handy. What kind of 'simple tasks' do you sometimes have difficulties with? (Does it tie back to the executive disfunction?)
My therapist (at the time) also recommended me to 'ask for external help'. By par example asking classmates to 'bring me back to earth' when they notice I am not paying attention. But I'm reluctant to actually ask such thing (and it could possibly annoy me after a while).

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's pretty handy. What kind of 'simple tasks' do you sometimes have difficulties with? (Does it tie back to the executive disfunction?)
My therapist (at the time) also recommended me to 'ask for external help'. By par example asking classmates to 'bring me back to earth' when they notice I am not paying attention. But I'm reluctant to actually ask such thing (and it could possibly annoy me after a while).

I'm not sure if my difficulties are a specific feature of exec. dysfunction, it probably is. Usually, they are very detail-oriented things, involving things like cataloguing or working with numbers. It also happens if I have to do something that involves a step by step process, such as finding my way through several bus stops and planning out a route, or drafting out a plan for something. The numbers and bullet points quite literally 'float around'- back to my comparing it to dyslexia, but with lists. It's like a tunnel where the entrance keeps moving- it's hard to get in and through to the other end when the entrance keeps moving away from you.

I have not told many about my ADHD, but of the friends who help me, one has disorders that impair her executive dysfunction as well, and one is just understanding and helps without complaint, understands it's no different from a diabetic who needs insulin, or the glasses he needs to see, etc.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Side note, both my little siblings have autism but one is low sensory and one is high sensory. My little brother who is high sensory, he has this picking problem pretty badly. He'll dig at places on his skin until they bleed...and it is hard to make him stop. Sometimes we just have to glove him....and then tape the gloves so he cannot take them off and continue. It is just some medical tape but he doesn't know how to take that off so it is for his own protection, because sometimes the digging is excessive and gets...well deep. And it needs to heal or it'll get infected...and its just compulsive. He doesn't know how to stop himself. But he was also diagnosed with ADHD with his Autism, so maybe that has something more to do with it.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
OP said:
There is a perception out there held by some, understandably, that ADHD is essentially Ne, or vice versa. That is, if you see someone either with ADHD or Ne high in their stacking and proficiency (I'd imagine the ENPs appear as the ADHD type, and the INPs appear as the ADD types) then the two are interchange.
I used to correlate these, but you know...ADHD is something that interferes with everyday life. I imagine that "Ne," allegedly a component of personality, would not interfere with everyday life. It should not be impairing you to the point of needing to take medications and find coping mechanisms the way that ADHD does. Many people with this disorder struggle in jobs and school because of it. That's a lot more than just getting lots of ideas, connections, and possibilities whirling around in your head.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
@Bismuth Blitz a doctor isn't able to screen you. Unless you mean your psychiatrist? I don't know how it works in your country, but to get an official diagnosis you usually have to take various tests. In total these tests might take three hours or more to finish them.
This is not the case in the US. In my experience with being diagnosed 3 times the extensiveness of the screening varies depending on where you go / who you're seeing. (Psychiatrists sometimes want to do their own diagnoses before administering medications, plus they require you to be rediagnosed as an adult.) I can't remember the one from age 7, but as for the 2 I've had during adulthood...one was a simple questionnaire, the other was rather extensive, testing all kinds of things like your reactions on a machine, asking questions, etc. and it took over an hour.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
This is not the case in the US. In my experience with being diagnosed 3 times the extensiveness of the screening varies depending on where you go / who you're seeing. (Psychiatrists sometimes want to do their own diagnoses before administering medications, plus they require you to be rediagnosed as an adult.) I can't remember the one from age 7, but as for the 2 I've had during adulthood...one was a simple questionnaire, the other was rather extensive, testing all kinds of things like your reactions on a machine, asking questions, etc. and it took over an hour.

That rather seems odd to me. Imo, you can't form a proper diagnoses based on a questionnaire and/or a one hour conversation. Not that it is always impossible. But thorough (background) screening is important.
With this in mind self-diagnosing may even seem more reliable than answering a doctor's questionnaire. (Not that I am a huge fan of self-diagnosing)
Now I suppose it also depends what they are testing you for. In my case I had an 'interview', then I had at least three other tests which were a horrible thing to go through to get a freaking diagnosis (and then they interviewed my parents).

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
That rather seems odd to me. Imo, you can't form a proper diagnoses based on a questionnaire and/or a one hour conversation. Not that it is always impossible. But thorough (background) screening is important.
With this in mind self-diagnosing may even seem more reliable than answering a doctor's questionnaire. (Not that I am a huge fan of self-diagnosing)
Now I suppose it also depends what they are testing you for. In my case I had an 'interview', then I had at least three other tests which were a horrible thing to go through to get a freaking diagnosis (and then they interviewed my parents).
Hmm it wasn't a one hour conversation, there was a lot of other stuff involved and it was like 3 hours iirc...but yeah.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) in one "therapy" session. I dunno... I think if anything, I hyper-focus on my internal world and tune the external out. I really don't think it's a disorder... I think I am just doubly introverted and prefer to process shit over and over in an introverted manner and cant be bothered with the external, unless I have to or want to.

I think Ne/Se are also likely to be diagnosed with ADHD because they are preoccupied with consuming the new and expansive, either abstractly or directly. I bet half of the population could technically be diagnosed with ADD of some variety, which really makes you think about how society has pathologized "unproductive" behavior according to expectations and arbitrary standards.

If you want to go live in the woods... then go live in the fucking woods. Who gives a shit about taxes.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) in one "therapy" session. I dunno... I think if anything, I hyper-focus on my internal world and tune the external out. I really don't think it's a disorder... I think I am just doubly introverted and prefer to process shit over and over in an introverted manner and cant be bothered with the external, unless I have to or want to.

I think Ne/Se are also likely to be diagnosed with ADHD because they are preoccupied with consuming the new and expansive, either abstractly or directly. I bet half of the population could technically be diagnosed with ADD of some variety, which really makes you think about how society has pathologized "unproductive" behavior according to expectations and arbitrary standards.

If you want to go live in the woods... then go live in the fucking woods. Who gives a shit about taxes.
I do think that a lot of people just oversimplify what ADHD actually is and this leads to this kind of misconception. Unproductive behavior is one thing, but not only have brain scans proven that ADHD brains are different, I can also tell you from firsthand experience that true ADHD is significant and problematic. I worked at a pizza place as a teen/young adult for example, and I would literally have to read the screen about 6x's and still mess up orders. I was trying my best and it really impacted my confidence. It's one thing to prefer to be in your internal world all the time, but another to be unable to come out of it enough to live your life properly and having breakdowns at work because you just can't get your symptoms under control enough to do your job right (plus coworkers already treat you like you're stupid because of it). Once I was on medication I was at the same pizza place reading the screen once, making the orders more accurately, plus I was catching others' mistakes and making sure everything was running smoothly. I've been fired from jobs over ADHD symptoms several times despite my best efforts because I was making mistakes caused by my ADHD. People talk about the disorder like it's insignificant and "anyone could have it" but just because it's overdiagnosed doesn't mean the real thing isn't more serious and causing damage in some peoples' lives. The important thing to remember about disorders is that they are disorders because they interfere with everyday life.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I do think that a lot of people just oversimplify what ADHD actually is and this leads to this kind of misconception. Unproductive behavior is one thing, but not only have brain scans proven that ADHD brains are different, I can also tell you from firsthand experience that true ADHD is significant and problematic. I worked at a pizza place as a teen/young adult for example, and I would literally have to read the screen about 6x's and still mess up orders. I was trying my best and it really impacted my confidence. It's one thing to prefer to be in your internal world all the time, but another to be unable to come out of it enough to live your life properly. Once I was on medication I was at the same pizza place reading the screen once, making the orders more accurately, plus I was catching others' mistakes and making sure everything was running smoothly. I've been fired from jobs over ADHD symptoms several times despite my best efforts because I was making mistakes caused by my ADHD. People talk about the disorder like it's insignificant and "anyone could have it" but just because it's overdiagnosed doesn't mean the real thing isn't more serious and causing damage in some peoples' lives.

To be clear, I am not proclaiming that it is not a thing. I was also diagnosed in childhood, fwiw, and placed on medication. I vaguely remember feeling too sleepy on it (?), and thus I discontinued. I think I probably qualify for an executive functioning "disorder", as these issues are persistent throughout my life. What I am attempting to say is more along the lines of "we are pathologizing variations in personality structure because these square pegs do not fit into these round holes that we have so carefully carved out for society".

We don't fit in because the majority doesn't want us to be this way. It's not because we are "wrong". Put us in a different type of environment and we will thrive, at our own pace according to our own rules.