• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Has anyone been diagnosed with chronic fatigue/fibro resulting from having lived too long with undiagnosed ADD/ADhD? I'm still learning all about this but apparently these are linked. I was actually diagnosed with cfs/fibro first and then later Inattentive ADD. To the best of my current understanding...people with undiagnosed ADD/ADhD unknowingly use anxiety and/or a state of hyper alertness in order to get by like "regular folk" do... like I actually notice this when I'm driving in traffic this hyper alert state...and then eventually the body says "fuck you". Anyone?

This is all very interesting! Haven't heard anything about this potential link but am interested in checking this out. My relationship with anxiety is far too close for me to handle at times. Panic attacks don't happen too too often thankfully, but more than I suspect the average person has them, and I grind my teeth often enough where I've had parts of my molars chip off. I'm curious to know the source of your anxiety Starry, but mine is directly tied to this constant worry of how I'm going to massively screw my life up again because I conveniently forgot a crucial detail or appointment that somehow, always seems to then bring everything around it in my life to come crashing down, and at that point, I have to rebuild all the efforts that went into becoming successful and productive before the crash.

I don't have a problem putting organizational strategies in place and know myself well enough to know which strategies actually work for me, but the thing I need most these days is figuring out how to MAINTAIN that structure. Structure is something I don't care for so much as it reminds me of all these commitments and obligations I have, and how little time I have to pursue my real desires, but I know I also desperately need that structure in my life if I hope to achieve some success in my career.

Starry

This is all very interesting! Haven't heard anything about this potential link but am interested in checking this out. My relationship with anxiety is far too close for me to handle at times. Panic attacks don't happen too too often thankfully, but more than I suspect the average person has them, and I grind my teeth often enough where I've had parts of my molars chip off. I'm curious to know the source of your anxiety Starry, but mine is directly tied to this constant worry of how I'm going to massively screw my life up again because I conveniently forgot a crucial detail or appointment that somehow, always seems to then bring everything around it in my life to come crashing down, and at that point, I have to rebuild all the efforts that went into becoming successful and productive before the crash.

I don't have a problem putting organizational strategies in place and know myself well enough to know which strategies actually work for me, but the thing I need most these days is figuring out how to MAINTAIN that structure. Structure is something I don't care for so much as it reminds me of all these commitments and obligations I have, and how little time I have to pursue my real desires, but I know I also desperately need that structure in my life if I hope to achieve some success in my career.

It might be a shorter list if I were to share with you what doesn't throw me into the hyper alert state haha. No, all the same things that you report. Add to that...I worry that I am unable to express to others how much they mean to me because I suck at so many of the socially recognized ways of communicating appreciation in this life. For example, if you are late in Western society that signals you really could care less and that is just so wrong in Starry's society.

For me though...I have come to where I no longer wish to cram my square peg self into the circle of round society. I've grown too tired to dance like a monkey and so I've been in a process of designing a life that works for me. I'm still not quite sure of all that I will do but I feel excited for a future that is my own. A future where I don't need to apologize for who I am. (this is just me though...I commend all that can make regular life work for them.)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It might be a shorter list if I were to share with you what doesn't throw me into the hyper alert state haha. No, all the same things that you report. Add to that...I worry that I am unable to express to others how much they mean to me because I suck at so many of the socially recognized ways of communicating appreciation in this life. For example, if you are late in Western society that signals you really could care less and that is just so wrong in Starry's society.

For me though...I have come to where I no longer wish to cram my square peg self into the circle of round society. I've grown too tired to dance like a monkey and so I've been in a process of designing a life that works for me. I'm still not quite sure of all that I will do but I feel excited for a future that is my own. A future where I don't need to apologize for who I am. (this is just me though...I commend all that can make regular life work for them.)

I swear, Starry, that last paragraph of yours is truly inspiring to me. I feel like for the most part, I tend to joke about my weirdness and to throw it out there as my own coping mechanism for one, beating people to the punch, but also as a way to own that which has haunted me for so many years, feeling as that outcast and defective outsider. Thing is, I can vacillate between feeling as though I "own it", then reverting back to those old sentiments from childhood which can rear its ugly head in moments of prolonged stress and vulnerability. If I can get to a place someday where I revert less and less to those negative feelings and self doubt, then I will feel I have won this inner emotional battle. High hopes that goal is realized soon enough to enjoy a fruitful life free of such burdens.

Starry

I swear, Starry, that last paragraph of yours is truly inspiring to me. I feel like for the most part, I tend to joke about my weirdness and to throw it out there as my own coping mechanism for one, beating people to the punch, but also as a way to own that which has haunted me for so many years, feeling as that outcast and defective outsider. Thing is, I can vacillate between feeling as though I "own it", then reverting back to those old sentiments from childhood which can rear its ugly head in moments of prolonged stress and vulnerability. If I can get to a place someday where I revert less and less to those negative feelings and self doubt, then I will feel I have won this inner emotional battle. High hopes that goal is realized soon enough to enjoy a fruitful life free of such burdens.

Oh I do the same thing let me tell you. I will often think of myself and go “how did this happen?” and “why?” That beating people to the punch resonates with me...I became so resentful of feeling put in a position where I was doing that to protect myself from the next way I didn’t live up to expectations. I simply arrived at a place where I couldn’t bring myself to do it anymore.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I HATE my ADD. Hate it. I dont really find anything good about it at all. Im constantly distracted- constantly have my head in the clouds- even when I try REALLY hard- I still space out. Frequently. And its like. Missing little chunks of time. Little moments from my life.

It makes me feel stupid and like something is wrong with me. Ive had many people misjudge me as being stupid because of it. Because Im air headed seeming and CANT HELP IT.

All that it has ever done is make things harder for me. I wish in school I had gotten more help/accomodations- because maybe Id have more ‘skills’ to deal with it- but its a pain and I hate it because I feel like it holds me back.

And I absolutely hate that

I HATE my ADD. Hate it. I dont really find anything good about it at all. Im constantly distracted- constantly have my head in the clouds- even when I try REALLY hard- I still space out. Frequently. And its like. Missing little chunks of time. Little moments from my life.

It makes me feel stupid and like something is wrong with me. Ive had many people misjudge me as being stupid because of it. Because Im air headed seeming and CANT HELP IT.

All that it has ever done is make things harder for me. I wish in school I had gotten more help/accomodations- because maybe Id have more ‘skills’ to deal with it- but its a pain and I hate it because I feel like it holds me back.

And I absolutely hate that
It can definitely suck at times. It also seems the harder I’d try to focus the more I’d become distracted. Studying was an absolute nightmare for me because trying to imprint a detail in my mind by repeatedly trying to absorb it just doesn’t work for me. Disinterest in a subject just makes the fight harder. It’s really tough but when you do accomplish something it has a hell of a lot of meaning to it because you know how hard it was to achieve it. Small compensation but you will find it builds determination.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It can definitely suck at times. It also seems the harder I’d try to focus the more I’d become distracted. Studying was an absolute nightmare for me because trying to imprint a detail in my mind by repeatedly trying to absorb it just doesn’t work for me. Disinterest in a subject just makes the fight harder. It’s really tough but when you do accomplish something it has a hell of a lot of meaning to it because you know how hard it was to achieve it. Small compensation but you will find it builds determination.

Sure. I thought of that too- but the thing is- Im tired of things being 2 steps forwards 1 step back. The 1 step back, when you are REALLY trying your best... is really defeating. Especially when you question ‘if I could have tried harder’ and somehow continued ahead with nothing in the way.

I dont know. Ive just too frequently gotten the ‘frosty pay attention’ ‘WHY CANT YOU FOCUS’ ‘I know you can do better’- too frequently to where you just get tired- and you really start to question and shove down the little protesting voice objecting inside you going- ‘But I AM trying’.

I dunno.

Sure. I thought of that too- but the thing is- Im tired of things being 2 steps forwards 1 step back. The 1 step back, when you are REALLY trying your best... is really defeating. Especially when you question ‘if I could have tried harder’ and somehow continued ahead with nothing in the way.

I dont know. Ive just too frequently gotten the ‘frosty pay attention’ ‘WHY CANT YOU FOCUS’ ‘I know you can do better’- too frequently to where you just get tired- and you really start to question and shove down the little protesting voice objecting inside you going- ‘But I AM trying’.

I dunno.
I know Frosty. I’ve been there, still find myself there at times. It does get tiring and discouraging and so frustrating that you’re already trying harder than others and now they claim it’s a lack of willpower or intelligence on top of it. People who don’t have ADD/ADHD will never truly understand and some won’t even care to try. You have nothing to prove to those people. It’s your life, your brain, your personal adversity to deal with. The one thing you do have that a young me didn’t is a place like this and a thread like this where people do get it and I hope that at least discussing it helps a little. Younger me would’ve definitely felt less alone if something like this had been around in my public school/even college years.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
For anyone that takes medication for their ADHD (using ADHD as the umbrella term to include ADD), stimulant medication specifically, does it bother you that it's such a popular drug of abuse on college campuses? and well, I can't see why it wouldn't also be abused in the work place for the same reasons. Additionally, who wants to get pestered by students all day long to give them some of your pills? Do they not realize that any pills I give them, even a single one, means I am then left without medication for a day? This is not a luxury for me.

I dont typically concern myself with the choices others make in their lives, but this sort of thing does bother me because I'm here taking this medication, just to be a bit more normal and so I can better compete with people that DON'T have attention issues, then these students go ahead and score pills off of friends or wherever and I'm back to where I started, at the back of the pack. I don't take medication to get ahead but for an actual need, it's like my glasses for me. I can get by without it, but I'm definitely going to be running into things throughout the day. How can you expect someone to compete in the rat race without being able to see?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know one guy with ADHD who sells his adderall pills lol.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
as a person without ADHD or ADD but inheriently curious about others and there experiences, this thread is fascinating to me.

as a person without ADHD or ADD but inheriently curious about others and there experiences, this thread is fascinating to me.

That’s cool! I for one don’t mind explaining it. I’m glad you find it interesting and informative.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
For anyone that takes medication for their ADHD (using ADHD as the umbrella term to include ADD), stimulant medication specifically, does it bother you that it's such a popular drug of abuse on college campuses? and well, I can't see why it wouldn't also be abused in the work place for the same reasons. Additionally, who wants to get pestered by students all day long to give them some of your pills? Do they not realize that any pills I give them, even a single one, means I am then left without medication for a day? This is not a luxury for me.

I dont typically concern myself with the choices others make in their lives, but this sort of thing does bother me because I'm here taking this medication, just to be a bit more normal and so I can better compete with people that DON'T have attention issues, then these students go ahead and score pills off of friends or wherever and I'm back to where I started, at the back of the pack. I don't take medication to get ahead but for an actual need, it's like my glasses for me. I can get by without it, but I'm definitely going to be running into things throughout the day. How can you expect someone to compete in the rat race without being able to see?

Yes. It bugs me. Not that people do it- I mean that bugs me a bit too- but that people, once they know Im on it- ASK me for it like im just going to hand it out like candy- no big deal.

But it is a big deal. I dont EVER give it out to anyone. Ever. Thats just not something that I do because- it IS a drug that I sort of need (though I only take it on and off now because it makes me unable to eat much and gives me on and off anxiety)- if they want to go through all thecrap of getting it prescribed to them- fine. But its a pain in the ass. And they dont realize it. That its not just fun and games.

I dont know. ADD drugs- honestly- I get less mad about people not understnading THEM then I do about them not understanding other drugs for some reason. Because- well. ADHD has less stigma I think than other things- people might not take it seriously- but there is a lot more understanding and a lot less judgement- when people are really asked push comes to shove- againsy people with ADHD than people who take other mental health related drugs. There might be shitty jokes- but most people recognize those jokes AS jokes- when with other things- people actually really do believe their misconceptions/jokes.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That’s cool! I for one don’t mind explaining it. I’m glad you find it interesting and informative.

It only happens in like once in a blue moon, but when someone does ask me about it, like curious about some of the specifics of my experience and how my brain works, it brings a smile to my face. I sincerely appreciate when people take the time to try and understand my perspective rather than rely on assumptions of what they think ADHD is like. That goes for anything about about me though, like when people on the forum ask me for my perspective as an ENFP, how I personally relate to my functions and how they pop up in my life, anything!

So [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], feel free to ask away my friend :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It only happens in like once in a blue moon, but when someone does ask me about it, like curious about some of the specifics of my experience and how my brain works, it brings a smile to my face. I sincerely appreciate when people take the time to try and understand my perspective rather than rely on assumptions of what they think ADHD is like. That goes for anything about about me though, like when people on the forum ask me for my perspective as an ENFP, how I personally relate to my functions and how they pop up in my life, anything!

So [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], feel free to ask away my friend :)

I don't really have any questions. But i think because i have some of my brain chemical struggles i realize what it's like not to be like the rest of the population at times, so it's easier for me to take a step back and not assume. and plus like i said i am a curious person. so yeah hopefully that made sense.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've been intentionally engaging with the external environment lately, and I've found this to help my depression immensely. However, what I've noticed is that my ADHD has completely exploded. Like my mind is running in too many directions sometimes and I keep getting distracted. It's not in an anxious neurotic way either, it's more like I'm scattered and forgetful. The mafia game really showed me how bad it's gotten. It was hard for me to remember who did what and who was what role and it was hard for me to settle on certain strategies in the moment. This carries over into my daily life when I'm trying to get stuff done. I'll sort of do that confused back and forth thing where I forget what I JUST decided to do and it takes me a second to get back on track.

It's frustrating because I'm realizing how pervasive it is.