• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating Disorder Awareness Thread

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*This thread might be a potential trigger*

I'm doing a research on how people understand eating disorders. Even though there has been a huge effort to teach the public about eating disorders, there still exist huge misconceptions about how it actually looks like in reality. I'll appriciate participation in this thread. Dob't be worried to answer, don't be worried of making a mistake while answering, I'm not going to judge you or give you grades. The more honest you will be with your answers the better my research will be.

I will start with a few questions on how you think EDs work and what are the symptoms. Simple true or false will do.

1. People with an eating disorders are underweight: T/F
2. People with an eating disorders don't eat: T/F
3. People with an eating disorders eat under 1000 calories a day: T/F
4. Eating disorder is a mental ilness that roots in an emotional trauma: T/F
5. If you have an eating disorder you would never eat in front of other people: T/F
6. People who suffer from an eating disorder expose their body in order to get attention: T/F
7. Binge eating is an eating disorder: T/F
8. You can be overweight/normal weight and have an eating disorder: T/F
9. BMI lower than 18 can suggest anorexia: T/F
10. All skiny or underweight people have an eating disorder: T/F

The other part of this research of awareness of BMI (Body Max Index) and its affect on health. If you don't feel like answering some of the questions, just leave them blank.

1. What do you think is an ideal BMI FOR YOU?
2. What is the highest BMI you have ever reached?
3. What is your lowest BMI?
4. What is your current BMI?
5. What BMI do you think is attractive when looking at other people?
6. What BMI would be ideal for you potential partner?

Last part of this is looking at pictures of people with different body shapes and weight. Try to answer honestly! Think about people in the pictures do they seem:
a) Overweight
b) Slightly chubby, but normal weight
c) normal weight
d) Slim, but healthy
e) Too slim, but probably still healthy
f) Too skiny, unhealthy but not enough to be considered anorexic
g) Probably anorexic
h) Definitely very unhealthly

Angelina-Jolie-Hot-Bikini-Underwear-Pics-18.jpg

Coleen_Rooney_128_53_23.jpg

Rihanna_127_58_19.jpg

PIP_0035.jpg

499054856.jpg

woman-with-a-regular-normal-body-picture-id479320284

d5a98ca9b923e3802889b30d6ec71dd0.jpg

4657192_IMGP64355.jpg

*Sorry about the fact that it's only women in the pictures. It's pretty hard to find ones with men in it and their BMI. If someone finds somthing with men and their BMI feel free to post.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=18559]Fay[/MENTION]: I apologize for being so nitpicky, but here are my answers.

1. They can be.
2. F. Many use restricted diets, some overeat.
3. Sometimes. Many use restricted diets, others overeat.
4. Often, but not always.
5. It depends.
6. Sometimes, depends on the person, intention
7. T
8. T
9. T
10. F. Genetics and medical conditions can also play a part.

1. 16.8-18.8 (83-93 lbs at 4'11)
2. 20.6
3. 16
4. 18.
5. Depends on body type, amount of muscle (a good friend of mine is 6', 210 lbs, but has a low body fat percentage and a muscular build... His BMI would be considered overweight).
6. Depends on body type, amount of muscle

1-4. C
5. B
6. C
7. B
8. H

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will start with a few questions on how you think EDs work and what are the symptoms. Simple true or false will do.

1. People with an eating disorders are underweight: Depends on what type of eating disorder it is.
2. People with an eating disorders don't eat: Also depends on what type of eating disorder it is.
3. People with an eating disorders eat under 1000 calories a day: See above.
4. Eating disorder is a mental ilness that roots in an emotional trauma: True.
5. If you have an eating disorder you would never eat in front of other people: Depends on the individual.
6. People who suffer from an eating disorder expose their body in order to get attention: I would say this is often true.
7. Binge eating is an eating disorder: True.
8. You can be overweight/normal weight and have an eating disorder: True.
9. BMI lower than 18 can suggest anorexia: True.
10. All skiny or underweight people have an eating disorder: False.

The other part of this research of awareness of BMI (Body Max Index) and its affect on health. If you don't feel like answering some of the questions, just leave them blank.

1. What do you think is an ideal BMI FOR YOU? 19.7
2. What is the highest BMI you have ever reached? 22.2
3. What is your lowest BMI? 17.2
4. What is your current BMI? 17.2
5. What BMI do you think is attractive when looking at other people? I don't think there is any one BMI that's most attractive, especially considering BMI's failure to take into account muscle vs fat distribution.
6. What BMI would be ideal for you potential partner? I don't care.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
1. People with an eating disorders are underweight: F
2. People with an eating disorders don't eat: F
3. People with an eating disorders eat under 1000 calories a day: T
4. Eating disorder is a mental ilness that roots in an emotional trauma: T
5. If you have an eating disorder you would never eat in front of other people: F
6. People who suffer from an eating disorder expose their body in order to get attention: F
7. Binge eating is an eating disorder: T
8. You can be overweight/normal weight and have an eating disorder: T
9. BMI lower than 18 can suggest anorexia: T
10. All skiny or underweight people have an eating disorder: F

1. What do you think is an ideal BMI FOR YOU? ? a bit lower than what i currently have probably
2. What is the highest BMI you have ever reached? in the normal range
3. What is your lowest BMI? slightly underweight
4. What is your current BMI? in the normal range probably
5. What BMI do you think is attractive when looking at other people? depends, bmi doesnt include fat/muscle distribution
6. What BMI would be ideal for you potential partner? dunno. while i do like people for what they are, ive never really been attracted to anyone thicc, but like... ... the one thicc guy i dated was a pos so

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. People with an eating disorders are underweight: false
2. People with an eating disorders don't eat: false
3. People with an eating disorders eat under 1000 calories a day: false
4. Eating disorder is a mental ilness that roots in an emotional trauma: mostly true, but i don't think there has to be an emotional trauma to trigger it?
5. If you have an eating disorder you would never eat in front of other people: false
6. People who suffer from an eating disorder expose their body in order to get attention: false
7. Binge eating is an eating disorder: true
8. You can be overweight/normal weight and have an eating disorder: true
9. BMI lower than 18 can suggest anorexia: not necessarily
10. All skiny or underweight people have an eating disorder: false

1. What do you think is an ideal BMI FOR YOU? in the normal range. i dont place a lot of value in BMI
2. What is the highest BMI you have ever reached? 22
3. What is your lowest BMI? 18
4. What is your current BMI? 21
5. What BMI do you think is attractive when looking at other people? don't care
6. What BMI would be ideal for you potential partner? normal range

1. slim, but healthy
2. normal weight
3. slim but healthy
4. too slim, but still healthy
5. normal
6. normal
7. normal
8. too skinny

1. People with an eating disorders are underweight: Depends...so false
2. People with an eating disorders don't eat: True to an extent
3. People with an eating disorders eat under 1000 calories a day: Depends on the eating disorder...so false
4. Eating disorder is a mental ilness that roots in an emotional trauma: Uhhh...yes and no
5. If you have an eating disorder you would never eat in front of other people: False
6. People who suffer from an eating disorder expose their body in order to get attention: False
7. Binge eating is an eating disorder: True
8. You can be overweight/normal weight and have an eating disorder: True
9. BMI lower than 18 can suggest anorexia: Maybe, but it depends
10. All skiny or underweight people have an eating disorder: False

1. What do you think is an ideal BMI FOR YOU? 18-19
2. What is the highest BMI you have ever reached? 22
3. What is your lowest BMI? 16, but I was 13 at the time and had a growth spurt
4. What is your current BMI? 20
5. What BMI do you think is attractive when looking at other people? Low midrange
6. What BMI would be ideal for you potential partner? ?? Whatever slim is...

1. e) Too slim, but probably still healthy
2. c) normal weight
3. d) Slim, but healthy
4. d) Slim, but healthy
5. b) Slightly chubby, but normal weight
6. c) normal weight
7. c) normal weight
8. f) Too skinny, unhealthy but not enough to be considered anorexic

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the participation so far, I'll write correct answers in spoiler so people who have already answered can check them out. If you haven't answered already and would like to, please do. The more people will participate, the better.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=11178]Faye[/MENTION]: is BMI the main indicator? I don't exactly trust that system.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=11178]Faye[/MENTION]: is BMI the main indicator? I don't exactly trust that system.
BMI can indicate anorexia, but not other disorders. EDNOS, bulimia, or binge eating disorder sufferers usually have different BMIs. It can be anything from underweight to obesity. When it comes to anorexia, one of diagnoses criteria is BMI below 17,5.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

1. People with an eating disorders are underweight: F
2. People with an eating disorders don't eat: F
3. People with an eating disorders eat under 1000 calories a day: F
4. Eating disorder is a mental ilness that roots in an emotional trauma: T
5. If you have an eating disorder you would never eat in front of other people: F
6. People who suffer from an eating disorder expose their body in order to get attention: F
7. Binge eating is an eating disorder: T
8. You can be overweight/normal weight and have an eating disorder: T
9. BMI lower than 18 can suggest anorexia: T edit: I looked at the answers and saw I got this one wrong.
10. All skiny or underweight people have an eating disorder: F

1. What do you think is an ideal BMI FOR YOU? 19.5-20
2. What is the highest BMI you have ever reached? 25.5
3. What is your lowest BMI? 18.8
4. What is your current BMI? 19.4
5. What BMI do you think is attractive when looking at other people? slim to slim-ish (probably around 18-23), depending on the person’s build
6. What BMI would be ideal for you potential partner? healthy (around 18-25). overweight (but not obese) is less attractive to me but not a significant turn-off. I wouldn’t reject someone for being extremely skinny or obese, but I would find it a physical turn-off.

1. slim, but healthy
2. normal weight
3. slim, but healthy
4. too slim, but still healthy
5. slightly chubby, but normal weight
6. slim, but healthy
7. slightly chubby, but normal weight
8. probably anorexic