• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to do zero carbs

Lark

Finding it really, really difficult, I love potatoes but I've managed to go without them, pasta, not a problem, rice, not a problem, though bread, bread is really difficult.

I need to figure out if dairy is permitted or not, I know its not in a strict paleo diet, I've reduced my dairy intake but I do love different sorts of cheese and cheese boards, since I've become diabetic cheese boards are actually my alternative to having a sweet course after a meal.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is there a reason you're trying to do zero carbs as opposed to low carbs, such as 20 or 30 per day?

Jaguar

I'll never low carb again. Took a long time for my thyroid to recover and I was basically fucked.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Want to cut it out altogether and reverse diabetes.

Oh ok, well I'm not trying to be obnoxious but I've talked to many, many people who have reversed diabetes eating low carb, and 20 carbs a day will easily have the desired effect while being much easier to maintain. Good luck to you. :)

Lark

Oh ok, well I'm not trying to be obnoxious but I've talked to many, many people who have reversed diabetes eating low carb, and 20 carbs a day will easily have the desired effect while being much easier to maintain. Good luck to you. :)

I think if I aim for no carbs I might actually achieve low carbs, if I aim for low carbs I know I'll not achieve anything at all, if that makes sense.

No one runs to end in second place but if they do they dont say they are disappointed with silver.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ha you're like me there. Aim for none so you do low intake. :p

I will pray for your success. <3

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think if I aim for no carbs I might actually achieve low carbs, if I aim for low carbs I know I'll not achieve anything at all, if that makes sense.

No one runs to end in second place but if they do they dont say they are disappointed with silver.

Interesting approach. Super restrictive, though!! I definitely couldn't do it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Minor pet peeve of mine....but you do know that fruits and veggies are carbohydrates, right?
I’m thinking you mean grains and simple carbohydrates (ie potatoes)?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
HI! My grandma did reverse diabetes with a low carb diet. She was taking an awful amount of pills and throughout this year, every time she went to the doctor, they reduced the dose to half. She also has hypothyroidism and problems with blood pressure, and she doesn't take the BP medicine anymore.

The thing she did was avoiding carbs (except for the ones in fruits and such) and ate gluten-free carbs for dinner, to make sure her glucose didn't get too low while she was sleeping, because she can't tell when she's hypoglycemic.
She also cut chicken and changed it for fish. And drinks birdseed milk every morning. I don't know, my grandma has better health than me.

Lark

Interesting approach. Super restrictive, though!! I definitely couldn't do it.

Oh, aye, its not easy, like I say you dont realise how much bread you eat until you choose to cut it out, I have been eating potatoes on a sunday with my sunday dinner as a kind of treat, its very hard to eliminate but I dont crave potatoes as much as I once did.

Lark

Minor pet peeve of mine....but you do know that fruits and veggies are carbohydrates, right?
I’m thinking you mean grains and simple carbohydrates (ie potatoes)?

Interesting, there was a TV show the other day which suggested that sweet potatoes are part of your five a day but that regular potatoes are not, it probably relates to what you are saying.

For the purposes of the discussion I was talking about excluding grains, rices, pasta, potatoes, breads.

I've not heard what you're saying here before, I thought that potatoes were complex carbs and it was complex carbs which were doing the harm and processed foods were a problem because in addition to the adding of sugars and salts and treatments for shelf life (radiation?) those processed foods contained complex carbs?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, there was a TV show the other day which suggested that sweet potatoes are part of your five a day but that regular potatoes are not, it probably relates to what you are saying.

For the purposes of the discussion I was talking about excluding grains, rices, pasta, potatoes, breads.

I've not heard what you're saying here before, I thought that potatoes were complex carbs and it was complex carbs which were doing the harm and processed foods were a problem because in addition to the adding of sugars and salts and treatments for shelf life (radiation?) those processed foods contained complex carbs?

Oh maybe they are complex carbs. It’s the thing about the white starchy foods having more sugar and less nutrients, yes. But IMO if they’re not processed then so what? Natural sugars generally go hand in hand with fiber, which affects how the sugar is processed, apparently. There is also nutritional value to grains, rices, and potatoes, given you make better choices (yeah half the bread out there is practically just sugar....).

I’m just saying carbohydrates aren’t likely the culprit for most people. It’s usually overly processed foods and not enough fruit and vegetables, as well portion control. They feel better or lose weight when they cut out “carbs” because it makes them avoid junk and they consume less calories. Yet they actually don’t cut out carbs because they may actually eat more of it in raw form.

No comment on medical conditions....obviously if you have an illness and are told to follow a specifc diet, well that’s different.

Lark

Oh maybe they are complex carbs. It’s the thing about the white starchy foods having more sugar and less nutrients, yes. But IMO if they’re not processed then so what? Natural sugars generally go hand in hand with fiber, which affects how the sugar is processed, apparently. There is also nutritional value to grains, rices, and potatoes, given you make better choices (yeah half the bread out there is practically just sugar....).

I’m just saying carbohydrates aren’t likely the culprit for most people. It’s usually overly processed foods and not enough fruit and vegetables, as well portion control. They feel better or lose weight when they cut out “carbs” because it makes them avoid junk and they consume less calories. Yet they actually don’t cut out carbs because they may actually eat more of it in raw form.

No comment on medical conditions....obviously if you have an illness and are told to follow a specifc diet, well that’s different.

There's a good ted talk on this, I may try and find it and add it to this thread, but the nutritionist in the video advises that she adopted the diet because of the health benefits despite not having diabetes herself and hence not having to worry about sugar spikes just as much.

What I've read about it I wish I'd known about it years ago and seriously adopted it, then again people didnt know about it back then, I remember the controversy surrounding The Atkins Diet and how many people ranted about the guy being a crank but, as the ted talk states, the verdict was passed on fat before the evidence was really in and fat was not the bane of public health that was made out.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a good ted talk on this, I may try and find it and add it to this thread, but the nutritionist in the video advises that she adopted the diet because of the health benefits despite not having diabetes herself and hence not having to worry about sugar spikes just as much.

What I've read about it I wish I'd known about it years ago and seriously adopted it, then again people didnt know about it back then, I remember the controversy surrounding The Atkins Diet and how many people ranted about the guy being a crank but, as the ted talk states, the verdict was passed on fat before the evidence was really in and fat was not the bane of public health that was made out.

Yes I've seen a lecture from UCLA on this... but the issue is added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars. The fiber content in foods with naturally occurring fructose affects the absorption of sugar, so you don't get the same kind of spike. That's my clunky layman's explanation.

Interestingly, the FDA is responding to this by making added sugars a new part of nutrition labels, starting sometime in 2018 (not sure if you're American and that applies or not).

Also somewhat interesting, those "blue zone" areas of the world, where people live really long and have the lowest rates of heart disease (although certainly other aspects of lifestyle come into play, not just diet), often are rather high carb diets (lots of veggies, fruits and some starch staple like rice or wheat). They are often much lower in meat and animal products, and of course processed foods. Quite the opposite of the low carb, high protein fad....

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
by Nina Teicholz was a very good read, in my opinion.