• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to do zero carbs

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Are you talking about the keto flu??? 'Cause it's incredibly easy to exist on 50-20g of carbs. Thats called the ketogenic diet. Some people get the "keto flu" and can feel like poop for up to 2 weeks (or more) since their body is changing from one system to another. But there are ways to speed up the process and make it easier. Then after about 2-4 months in people get "fat adapted" and have no problems running off less than 50-20g of carbs a day. Their bodies start to learn and get used to utilizing fat as fuel (aka convert to ketones). Anyone could do keto and benefit from it. Even diabetics, it was actually designed for diabetics, epilepsy, and many autistic children. It also cures many forms of cancer.

The OP mentioned he wanted to do ZERO carbs as the goal because he already felt like he would 'fail' if he made the goal 20 carbs or some other number. I was merely suggesting that it seems as if you're dooming yourself to both thinking of eating as succeeding/failing and not trying to add a stair-step down sustainable approach to the subject. I know several people on very low carb/near no carb diets that do quite well on it.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that the process of switching over to fat adaptation can cause some people to feel terrible but once you get fat adapted, at least in my experience, you feel fantastic and have a ton of energy and mental clarity. However, I would be cautious to claim that a ketogenic diet cures many forms of cancer.

I don't need to be cautious, it's already proven.

Did you not watch the low carb diet video with Jong Rho, MD above?? He talks about how the keto diet and fasting starves cancer cells and helps decrease tumors over time. There have been plenty of interviews out there with cancer survivors who used the diet. One who were at several different stages. Here's another video of a cancer research doctor proving how the keto diet/ketogenic state cures and starves cancer.:

Here is another video where Dr. Mike talks about the history behind this discovery and talks about other cancer survivors using the Keto diet.:

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't need to be cautious, it's already proven.

Did you not watch the low carb diet video with Jong Rho, MD above?? He talks about how the keto diet and fasting starves cancer cells and helps decrease tumors over time. There have been plenty of interviews out there with cancer survivors who used the diet. One who were at several different stages. Here's another video of a cancer research doctor proving how the keto diet/ketogenic state cures and starves cancer.:

No, I didn't have a chance to watch it but I'm slightly familiar with these names and their research. I guess I hear a lot of people rattling off all the things the ketogenic diet can do and it starts to sound like some kind of "cure all," which makes me a bit nervous, and until there is more research and it's more widely accepted I would just be wary of saying for sure that it's a cure for cancer. I'll try to watch the videos if I get the chance.

Lark

I've always been advised that Ketosis is a serious thing to avoid, maybe its just because I'm diabetic but its my understanding of it, you all talking like its a great thing to achieve. :unsure::shock:

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've always been advised that Ketosis is a serious thing to avoid, maybe its just because I'm diabetic but its my understanding of it, you all talking like its a great thing to achieve. :unsure::shock:

Ketosis often gets mixed up with ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is very dangerous. Ketosis is not.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just commenting because I like people in general to know that high-fat is not necessarily the best way to diet (which I've noticed a lot of people suggesting online).

I totally get how eating habits affect different people differently. The high(er) fat diet though is in vogue because we've been brainwashed into low fat for the last eon.

Not good if I'm honest, I have cut down a lot but bread and crisps I have not been able to eliminate completely, Christmas is a difficult time to have either diabetes or try to cut out carbs.

I love roast potatos.

Agreed on the holiday timing. It's especially tough if you have a sweet tooth.

In terms of the potatoes, I'd suggest experimenting at home, cooking different veggies as substitutes. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Try roasted brussels sprouts, or brussels sprouts sautéed til slightly burnt, with bacon and a spritz of lemon.
Is it the potatoes that you like or the things that go on the potatoes, such as sour cream and chives, or butter? Just try a different veggie with the same garnishes. Say cauliflower?

Take care to drink tons of water. You will notice that you get dehydrated easily. The other key thing is to not eat when not hungry. This is tough for those who eat due to stress.
I think a lower carb diet is also better than zero carb. It takes discipline in the very beginning but then feels easy.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Cause the ketogenic diet affects each type differently. And like Phoenix said, ketoacidosis is very different from ketosis.

Lark

Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Cause the ketogenic diet affects each type differently. And like Phoenix said, ketoacidosis is very different from ketosis.

Type 2 but I've been warned about ketoacidosis in the past, once when I tried a lot of different insulin sensitivity influencing supplements and once when I was experiencing a lot of high blood sugars and then a sudden adjustment down which couldnt really be explained. Its like juggling soot.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We humans sure are a stupid lot. The only animals on the planet who cannot figure out or agree up what's healthful to eat. We read books, take the piss poor advice of Medical and alleged health experts. Past fifty years huge industries created to over-focus on the topic and perpetuate the highly profitable myth of the moment. With all of these wonderful advancements, disease that formerly didn't hit until Middle Age are now epidemic in young people, and life expectancy is decreasing at an impressive clip in Western Nations.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We humans sure are a stupid lot. The only animals on the planet who cannot figure out or agree up what's healthful to eat. We read books, take the piss poor advice of Medical and alleged health experts. Past fifty years huge industries created to over-focus on the topic and perpetuate the highly profitable myth of the moment. With all of these wonderful advancements, disease that formerly didn't hit until Middle Age are now epidemic in young people, and life expectancy is decreasing at an impressive clip in Western Nations.
So are you saying that you have all the answers, Slippy?

StrawberryBoots

I couldn't live like that worrying about zero carbs or counting calories. I eat what I want, but I limit it to smaller portions and I exercise. I've done that since I was a teenager and I've stayed fit. I don't buy junk food. I also do many things myself that others hire people to do, which probably keeps me trim too.

Finding it really, really difficult, I love potatoes but I've managed to go without them, pasta, not a problem, rice, not a problem, though bread, bread is really difficult.

I need to figure out if dairy is permitted or not, I know its not in a strict paleo diet, I've reduced my dairy intake but I do love different sorts of cheese and cheese boards, since I've become diabetic cheese boards are actually my alternative to having a sweet course after a meal.

Something else I want to mention. I have three sisters, two of which struggle with their weight. One of them has tried both paleo and zero carbs. She's lost weight, but hasn't been as successful as my sister that decided to follow my advice to just eat less and stop being lazy.

The bottom line, make changes that you can live with. Like I said, I don't buy junk food, but more accurately, I don't buy very much junk food. When I crave candy, I buy one and eat a couple of bites, and save the rest for later. I taught this to my sister. I told her, don't deprive yourself of what you want. If you love pizza, be satisfied with a slice or two once a week, or a bite or two everyday. :laugh: I told her to think in terms of bites when it comes to fatty foods.

My sister followed my advice and she lost all of her baby weight and she's keeping it off.

I also take multi-vitamins, and a couple of other supplements, but I don't overdo it when it comes to supplements either, just like I don't overdo it when it comes to food.

All things in moderation.

StrawberryBoots

[MENTION=7280]Survive & Stay Free[/MENTION], I look at food this way, some people love the short-term pleasure it brings more than they love their health, their physical appearance, and how they feel throughout their days over the long-term.

I'm one of those that doesn't love the short-term pleasures of food more than I love looking and feeling good; In fact, I'd leave food entirely if I didn't need it to survive.

When food is weighing you down, consuming your thoughts and killing you, get mad and take back control!

Lark

[MENTION=7280]Survive & Stay Free[/MENTION], I look at food this way, some people love the short-term pleasure it brings more than they love their health, their physical appearance, and how they feel throughout their days over the long-term.

I'm one of those that doesn't love the short-term pleasures of food more than I love looking and feeling good; In fact, I'd leave food entirely if I didn't need it to survive.

When food is weighing you down, consuming your thoughts and killing you, get mad and take back control!

Sometimes I've felt the same way and I know that I do eat for pleasure more than I do hunger, like if I eat crisps or other snacks, which are mainly carbs.

When I've lost the most weight has been when I've been most active and not given thought to eating or food because it is a distraction from remaining active, like walking with friends instead or spending the whole day with them walking around, although it was easier to spend time like that when I was in my early teens, when you'd only be working two or three days in the week and free much of the time besides.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's a matter of being used to eating a certain way, and then breaking that habit. If you break the habit of eating a lot of carbs, your body will become more sensitive to how bad you feel when or if you overeat carbs, and you'll stop yourself from doing so. Going 'low' or 'no' carb for a sustained time period is one way of breaking that habit cold turkey.

The trouble with modern life is that there are tons of food options out there for not a huge cost. Not like the old days. Also, many ppl eat to cope with stress. So eating is not just about hunger anymore. We aren't as in tune with our bodies. Again, the lower carb diet helps to reset that connection.

I used to not mind 'feeling full'. A friend of mine was the same way, and could drink loads of beer. He cut down on carbs (including beer), ate more protein, and went to the gym, in order to look slimmer for his wedding day. He must have lost 50 lbs or so. He never looked too bad, bc he's over 6ft tall, but now he looks quite svelte. He allows himself to drink beer on occasion now, and agreed that he's much more sensitive to 'feeling full'. He adjusts how much/what he eats in order to avoid that bad feeling.

Anyways, sounds like you're doing well, [MENTION=7280]Survive & Stay Free[/MENTION], if you're thinking about all this. :)

Lark

I think it's a matter of being used to eating a certain way, and then breaking that habit. If you break the habit of eating a lot of carbs, your body will become more sensitive to how bad you feel when or if you overeat carbs, and you'll stop yourself from doing so. Going 'low' or 'no' carb for a sustained time period is one way of breaking that habit cold turkey.

The trouble with modern life is that there are tons of food options out there for not a huge cost. Not like the old days. Also, many ppl eat to cope with stress. So eating is not just about hunger anymore. We aren't as in tune with our bodies. Again, the lower carb diet helps to reset that connection.

I used to not mind 'feeling full'. A friend of mine was the same way, and could drink loads of beer. He cut down on carbs (including beer), ate more protein, and went to the gym, in order to look slimmer for his wedding day. He must have lost 50 lbs or so. He never looked too bad, bc he's over 6ft tall, but now he looks quite svelte. He allows himself to drink beer on occasion now, and agreed that he's much more sensitive to 'feeling full'. He adjusts how much/what he eats in order to avoid that bad feeling.

Anyways, sounds like you're doing well, [MENTION=7280]Survive & Stay Free[/MENTION], if you're thinking about all this. :)

Its mainly thinking though :laugh:

No, I do have days when I do this completely right, though more that I dont, although I'm thinking of it as a marathon not a sprint.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Zero carbs is more of the Carnivorous diet and there is plenty of info on youtube about it. It's totally doable and it can reverse Diabetes 2 for you. The Ketogenic diet can reverse Diabetes 2 as well. I've seen numerous people get off their Diabetes 2 medication in tons of ketogenic diet groups on FB. The best group is the "ketovangelist" one IMO.

Anyway, whether you choose the keto or Carnivorous diet, I definitely recommend easing into it and get used to reading/researching labels so you don't have hidden sugars or grains spiking your insulin. You could do a carnivorous diet but you'd have to eat LOTS of organ meat because they're the most nutrient dense parts of the animal. The organs are vital to eat because they have tons of Vitamin A, other fat soluble vitamins like vitamin D, Potassium, more Omegas than fish, etc.

I also recommend eating the most darkest and fattiest parts of the meats/poultry and making sure you don't have more protein than fat. Having more protein than fat increases insulin that gets converted to glucose. You obviously wouldn't want that since you are trying to reverse Diabetes 2.

I also recommend eating your meat/poultry/eggs as grass-fed and pasture raised since they will ensure the highest quality of meat and most nutrients.

But you may have better luck doing the ketogenic diet first. It would ensure that you get your body used to using ketones as fuel. It can be an exhausting system switch for peopel. After getting used to that and turning off your sugar cravings, THEN you might have lots of luck doing the carnivorous diet once your body gets used to ketosis. Just to be safe.

I found some helpful videos:

Lark

Why don't you try a higher fiber bread - that will have lower carbs naturally?

What sorts of bread do you recommend? I buy different sorts out of interest sometimes if I havent tried them or think that they could taste different but its the standard sliced white that I'm talking about, toasting it or making sandwiches are just the lazy option, I dont know a lot about food and I think that's part of the reason I am trying diets at the moment. Its always been a quantity over quality thing.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What sorts of bread do you recommend? I buy different sorts out of interest sometimes if I havent tried them or think that they could taste different but its the standard sliced white that I'm talking about, toasting it or making sandwiches are just the lazy option, I dont know a lot about food and I think that's part of the reason I am trying diets at the moment. Its always been a quantity over quality thing.

Ok no white, void of nutrition bread. Read the labels. I would assume in NI they have 100% whole wheat bread. Or bread with multiple grains. One other you could look for is Ezekiel flax sprouted bread. Here, it's in the freezer section. You can also consider making your own low carb bread. The ingredients are much easier to find online than they use to be. But again, I'm sticking to the advice I gave you before. Please talk to a nutritionist about a diabetic diet. If you don't know a lot about food, that would be the best place to start.