• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Archery

Lark

I'm new to archery but looking forward to taking up this hobby and getting good at it, I'm probably going to begin with a traditional, flat bow or recurve bow, although I have definitely thought about compound bow, all styles of other sorts of bows and maybe even crossbow, although I'm not sure about crossbow, I'm not planning on hunting and most ranges do permit cross bow shooting.

I need to get a 68inch bow with a 28lb draw.

I need to get some 29 inch arrows too, I've got arrows, fibre glass with the flights and nocks pre-attached and a decent quiver in my shopping cart on Amazon but bought them yet.

Does anyone have any advice about bows or styles or makes or anything like that, even advice about arrows, at some point I'm going to buy some equipment for making flights or repairing arrows.

The range I'm planning to shoot at has an interior and exterior range.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to learn archery. That way, when society collapses, I can have an edge on all the gun nuts when their ammo runs out. I've shot a bow a few times, actually, but I wasn't very good at it.

I have the Bowtech Destroyer 350. Double cam, compound. ~60lbs pull. Pretty souped up. Practice is easy if you have a decent sized yard.

My advice would be to figure out your dominant eye before going with a compound bow. I think the recurves can be used with either eye. A recurve might suit you better.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any dolt can shoot a gun, it takes real skill to use a bow. It is an art. The one sport I excelled in as a kid.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Untrue. Both take practice of skill.

It depends on the gun.

I've used a rifle and I've used a bow, while there's some skill to a rifle, it's a lot easier to learn. I would say however that using a pistol takes more skill than a rifle.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always wanted a bow too and to get back into hunting. I've always had a fantasy of going off the grid and sustaining myself with my survival skills. I strongly recommend going to DICKS or Cabelas (or whoever sells near you) and holding or testing them. It depends on how muscular you are. I'm personally a strong petite chick so I can handle a heavy bow. You wanna make sure your shoulder is positioned well, it's not too heavy, the reload is accessible to do quickly. There are some models I've seen with adjustable stock extensions that are great if your tall or small in stature.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I miss bow hunting....

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Compound bows are easier to learn with, as you can hold the draw longer. I would start with one of those until you master the basics of aiming. With a more traditional bow one must aim and release quickly once at full draw. Do yourself a favor though and get an archery bracer and three finger glove.