• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Corset training: Would you do it?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Check out this lovely YouTuber, Lucy, as she talks about her journey to reducing her waist by 2" thru consistently wearing a corset (yup, you read that right!)...

Would you do this?

She also runs a blog/website where she discusses everything you ever wanted to know about corsets and something called "waist training" that supposedly occurs through wearing a corset over time, which is thought to "train" your waist and give you a more hourglass figure. Interesting stuff....

Being a guy I've never had the urge. Aren't those things extremely bad to wear? I thought they squeezed a girls internal organs in a very unhealthy way? They'd constrict the flexibility of the ribs too making it hard to draw a full breath I'd imagine. Seems like a torture device that women were subjected to when it was a part of fashionable attire.

I'd say exercise and work with the figure you've got. I'm personally not just attracted to one body type. Curvy or petite, tall or short, I think there's a decently sized range to what's appealing. Certainly it's not worth harming yourself over.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being a guy I've never had the urge. Aren't those things extremely bad to wear? I thought they squeezed a girls internal organs in a very unhealthy way? They'd constrict the flexibility of the ribs too making it hard to draw a full breath I'd imagine. Seems like a torture device that women were subjected to when it was a part of fashionable attire.

I'd say exercise and work with the figure you've got. I'm personally not just attracted to one body type. Curvy or petite, tall or short, I think there's a decently sized range to what's appealing. Certainly it's not worth harming yourself over.

You crack me up... I have worn a corset before and it's true that the thing is pretty tight. Regarding internal organs - I don't know if they get squeezed or moved in any major or dangerous way. Medically, I'm not sure if corsets have been unanimously declared dangerous. I guess it's kinda like vaping, lol.

Also, I have heard that we have "floating ribs" and attached ribs. Corsets only constrict the "floating" ribs which are actually ok to move slightly.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I played a character who wore a corset in a play. I would never wear one voluntarily. It was very heard to project my voice because I couldn't take a full breath. Wearing them constantly to try and make your waist smaller is idiotic imo. You are not changing the muscle to fat ratio of your body at all. It has no actual health benefits. It's just pure vanity.

Couldn't they be damaging to the internal organs? I suppose wearing them temporarily may be okay. I've heard many women after they give birth start wearing one in order to compress the abdomen and uterus so that it could shrink back to its normal size. But in general, I can't see myself doing it, as it goes against my freedom philosophy. I rarely even wear a bra for this reason, so a corset would be absolute torture on my part, haha.

You crack me up... I have worn a corset before and it's true that the thing is pretty tight. Regarding internal organs - I don't know if they get squeezed or moved in any major or dangerous way. Medically, I'm not sure if corsets have been unanimously declared dangerous. I guess it's kinda like vaping, lol.

Also, I have heard that we have "floating ribs" and attached ribs. Corsets only constrict the "floating" ribs which are actually ok to move slightly.
There was some study of what wearing corsets for prolonged periods did to women in the Victorian era. They look very uncomfortable. It was a while ago that I saw it. A girl I knew was big into renaissance fairs and often wore them. That girl in the video might be damaging herself.

Anyway I don't envy you on some of the things you ladies have to contend with. Corsets, make up, high heels etc. All I deal with is shaving. lol

rav3n

Why not simply lose, rather than compress adipose fat since it's detrimental to health? You can also have laser fat reduction (subcutaneous fat) which doesn't include invasive surgery.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The very idea fills me with horror. I used to use a waist slimming undergarment on special occasions. It wasn't even as constrictive as a corset and I found it very difficult to be in. It restricted breathing, made it painful to bend over, hard move fast, and digestion was out of the question! In addition to that, the added bulk actually made me look fatter! It's easier to lose weight or just accept some extra softness about the waist.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
This seems like a terrible idea. Your lungs and diaphragm are not able to work effectively to take in proper breaths, and the muscles in your abs atrophy to some extent. It would also restrict your lymphatic fluid flow which could make you ill or gain weight over time. There's got to be a healthier solution...

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
I would never wear one of these, simply because there is question of whether it's good for you.

I'm on a weight loss journey myself, and though the idea of a low-effort waist solution is appealing, I've found that good old-fashioned diet and exercise yields better results and is better for your overall health. I started going to the gym and eating better (not dieting, just making better choices), and I lost three inches on my waist in the first month. No corset needed.

Lark

No, I wouldnt, I wouldnt encourage anyone else to do it either but I've read about it being popular, especially in the steampunk and victoriana scenes, corsets for males, affecting a kind of wasp waist appearence and changing the shape of the person involved was apparently popular among some southern and confederate elites in the US at a time.

To be honest I think it fits more in the category of extreme body modifications, like piercings and tattoos, than I think its about patriarchy or body dismorphia or dieting or anything like that.

Lark

This seems like a terrible idea. Your lungs and diaphragm are not able to work effectively to take in proper breaths, and the muscles in your abs atrophy to some extent. It would also restrict your lymphatic fluid flow which could make you ill or gain weight over time. There's got to be a healthier solution...

You should see the body scans of people who have achieved the wasp figure, its madness, organs all crushed into a particular shape.

Mind you its about as bad when you see the body scans of individuals who are obese and have their organs all crushed up. I've not had a scan but I know my organs are probably like that, its one of the things associated with type two diabetes.

Mole

Permabanned
The hip to waist ratio indicates fertility, and males are attuned to a particular ratio, but if we have lost the ratio, we can mimic it with a corset.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I wouldn't torture myself. Corsets may cause deformation of ribs and dislocation of internal organs. Women were suffering because of them from circular, breathing and gastric problems. Terrible.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
waist-hips-ratio.jpg

Corsets strive to create the 'golden' 0.7 waist-to-hip ratio that's socially deemed as a desirable trait in women in terms of attractiveness. A lot of clothing styles have a similar aim, albeit more subtle. I guess it's about symmetry/balance.

I was fortunate enough to have been born with pretty wide pelvic bones (34" around at the iliac crest), & a thin, lanky frame (& with that perceived blessing came the curse of hip dysplasia, so it ain't all it's cracked up to be). I already have the 0.7 hip/waist ratio naturally (37" - 25.5" by the above measuring guide). I don't really feel like I need to emphasize this much further, unless it was for a costume, or something. I'd just look cartoonish if I exaggerated my shape every day. Even if my proportions didn't align with the 'ideal' shape, I would prefer to strive for an overall healthy body, vs subject it to constant compression in an attempt to alter it for the sole purpose of attractiveness.

I have worn corsets for costumes, & when they're fitted well, they can be comfortable (a particularly well-fitted one I once had actually doubled as a spare back brace for me when I fractured my T7), but most are not going to be a custom fit. Most will mess with breathing, possibly blood circulation. They generally look & feel like crap. Compress one place only to have weird unnatural bulges someplace else, etc. You'll overheat easily from a combination of tight, usually nonbreathable material, & diminished lung capacity. No thx.

Corset-training as an everyday lifestyle choice is well established as unhealthy, as it often leads to atrophied core muscles, which can lead to a host of injuries throughout life. Muscle strains, disc herniations, abdominal hernia, etc. Floating ribs are at inscreased risk of fracture or perforating the peritoneum. Organs often shift upward in similar fashion to that of a pregnant woman. I'm sure many pregnant women can attest to a variety of digestive discomforts at their heaviest point, among other things.

The damage occurs over a number of years, so it's likely any success stories you'll see online for corset training will not have a long enough track record to expose the damage, or they otherwise may not be aware of it yet. There's always the chance for general bias, or ulterior motives like selling a specific product, as well.

Wear as a costume? Sure. Daily - it's not safe, practical, or even necessary. Love your shape, whatever it is, & strive to be as healthy as you can. That's beautiful.