• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Caffeine Addiction

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just to know, after how many years did this start occurring?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had to get off it when it was causing me repeated bouts of gastritis. My doctor suggested I lay off it, see what happens. My gastritis vanished but I had REALLY bad headaches for a few days and I was tired all the time.

At about day 5 or so my energy levels roared back and I felt like I was much stabler than I was before.

Since then I've tried to get back onto caffeine a few times and I discovered going off caffeine for a long time made me REALLY sensitive. A friend of mine made me a cup of coffee and I thought my heart was going shoot out of my chest, to say nothing of the anxiety and the nausea that followed.

I've remained off it ever since and I really don't miss it.

It sucks man but you'll make it :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What i am finding is a stronger motivation to get enough sleep. Otherwise the day is miserable.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
4.5 days gone. I actually used a sick day and slept all day. No shakes, no lightheadedness right now. Headache coming on. Odd sensations around my body. Time to sleep.....

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
7.5 days gone. Just a small nagging headache now.

I have also stopped eating any chocolate. It has enough caffeine to trigger it all back. Maybe in a few weeks I can start having the occassional chocolate without problem.

I do know some recovering caffeine addicts that just take a single dose every week of their favorite beverage. I don't know if I will do that even. Better to just be done.

I made sure to sleep more this time, so it seems to have passed the withdrawals much quicker. The couple days where I was shaking and lightheaded with a super strong headache were pretty difficult. So nice to be free....mostly

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Headaches returned last night. Hit with a vengeance this morning. Plus general aches and stuff. Plus fatigue. My body still needs to adjust. The psychological pull seems gone.....

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone tried this and found that caffeine had more of a mood-altering effect than you thought it did? Like, you went off of it after being a very longtime, heavy user and discovered a new and interesting range of feelings about everyday things that you hadn't noticed before? Not as extreme as I'm making it sound - just different enough to keep me going on this out of curiosity. It could partially be in my head as a placebo-type effect.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone tried this and found that caffeine had more of a mood-altering effect than you thought it did? Like, you went off of it after being a very longtime, heavy user and discovered a new and interesting range of feelings about everyday things that you hadn't noticed before? Not as extreme as I'm making it sound - just different enough to keep me going on this out of curiosity. It could partially be in my head as a placebo-type effect.

Most definitely. I am definitely less stressed and anxious. I feel much more relaxed about a lot of things. My thoughts seem slightly clearer. I find different things interesting.

I do miss the initial hit of caffeine, the rush that comes. But it now seems more artificial. And I have less and less desire to go back on it.

I haven't been off caffeine for more than a few months in 30+ years. I can't wait to see how things go if I go for 6 or 9 months....

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still have occassional harsh headaches. I seem to get tired more easily. And my digestive system is out of whack, but it has always been bad, even before caffeine, even if the docs have never located the issue (maybe my new doc next week can figure it out).

Caffeine definitely messes with the digestive and adrenal systems as I read once. I don't seem to be having lingering adrenal issues, at least, and feel much less stress.

Anxiety seems way down, too, and I feel generally much happier.... I don't even miss caffeine now 2 weeks out.....

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With caffeine it can be beneficial to wean yourself off.

Also have you considered some alternative sweet drinks WITHOUT the caffeine? like juices? It could give some of that pleasure still.

I too am working on my caffeine in take.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Soooooo I did this for a while when I got the urge to quit... let me know how it goes ... coffeeeeeeeeeee nomnomnom :happy2:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With caffeine it can be beneficial to wean yourself off.

Also have you considered some alternative sweet drinks WITHOUT the caffeine? like juices? It could give some of that pleasure still.

I too am working on my caffeine in take.

juices are full of sugar, and leave out the fiber. Far better to drink water and eat fruit.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fruit is not any better. The sugar in fruit is called "Fructose" and is released fast in the body and will increase your insulin. It's just as bad as eating carbs/starches/grains/etc.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
With health problems arising, I really need to quit caffeine. I'll start by weaning off Starbucks and drinking regular coffee.