• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is hiring a professional trainer worth it?

theflame

Permabanned
I was hoping to find a boyfriend fitness trainer working out as something we could do together and something he would enjoy doing...but you know the feelings got in the way of that and such so it's complicated.

Is it better to find a friend who lifts or when you can't is it worth it to hire a professional trainer?
I've looked at the prices at my gym. It's like $600 - $800...

I've seen people working out and stuff and those are things I could learn to do...think a work out buddy would be better to keep me motivated because if I do this on my own, I'm going to slack and get distracted.

Have you hired a professional trainer or do you do fitness with friends?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a trainer years ago as a trade (I did design work for her other business and got a session once a week for a few months).
It was a great way to learn. I knew nothing about strength training prior to that. I also preferred working with a woman, personally. And she took me to a place that was nearly empty, so I didn't feel self-conscious. I am not a naturally athletic person and am kinda cerebral, so that was important for me.

Now I take a bootcamp class 3-5x a week and they demonstrate and correct your form. It's not as expensive as a private trainer or as customized, but you get some of the perks, such as having your workout planned and getting guidance and motivation. I also get too easily distracted when working out alone and don't push myself as hard or for as long.

I also feel like I know enough now so that I could work out alone if necessary, and even better, I know enough to not really need a gym.

So yeah, I think kickstarting with a trainer and/or taking a bootcamp/strength-training class is a great idea. You don't have to work with the trainer every workout, just maybe once a week to learn. Several times a week would probably get pretty pricey. Often, my trainer would kind of give me workout ideas inbetween sessions anyway.

Mole

Permabanned
Dance and the Sense of Proprioception

I was hoping to find a boyfriend fitness trainer working out as something we could do together and something he would enjoy doing...but you know the feelings got in the way of that and such so it's complicated.

Is it better to find a friend who lifts or when you can't is it worth it to hire a professional trainer?
I've looked at the prices at my gym. It's like $600 - $800...

I've seen people working out and stuff and those are things I could learn to do...think a work out buddy would be better to keep me motivated because if I do this on my own, I'm going to slack and get distracted.

Have you hired a professional trainer or do you do fitness with friends?

My guess is that it is better to find something we like doing. For instance I love dancing, particularly to Swing, so I dance three or four hours every second day to Swing and recover on the off day.

The recovery day is very important as it enables me to integrate every thing I have done on my dancing day into my body and into my psyche.

Also I am enabled to integrate my dancing into my intellect as for instance I can see I am exploring and training my sense of proprioception, click on Proprioception - Wikipedia .

I am a trained literate individual who privileges the eye, but with the advent of the electronic media, I am exploring my other senses, including my proprioceptive sense. It is great to think about as well as do and feel.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Its a good idea to hire a trainer if you don't have a knowledgeable friend. You want to make sure you are doing exercises correctly so it doesn't lead to injuries down the line. That being said, its 2017 and you can always record yourself doing an exercise if you're not sure your doing it correctly and send it to someone who knows their shit. I still work with a trainer twice a week but I also do very heavy compound lifts and still have slight mobility problems.

theflame

Permabanned
I managed to find a friend who I could hire for cheaper than a trainer at the gym. He actually has his own business with that and he gives me more sessions at a lower cost than the gym would. Whew. Now I know a little bit what to do.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you can afford it and need one to keep yourself in check. It's all about the person, do you need it and can you afford it.

Once those questions are answered you are left with, which personal trainer is worth the cost to you. They all have different strengths, experience, etc.

Worth is a matter of personal opinion, not fact.

I have had a personal trainer, was $45 for a 30 minute session and she destroyed me in 30 minutes. Made sure I was almost on verge of throwing up after, but didn't push me over that. any further and i would feel sick. She pretty much learned how how I function physically and worked with my body. I have had a couple physical therapists as well that helped. They were covered by insurance.

She went on vacation and sent me to another trainer for a session. He was surprised I completed his "circuit" with time to spare. Especially since I was not ripped and just looked solid.