• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pep Talk Diary for Weight Loss

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I don't know whether this should go in the blogs or here because it is a diary but it's to keep track of my health. I figure if I have to publically account for my diet and exercise routine, I can keep on track better. Plus, I have the added benefit of getting feedback on what I can improve or info regarding mistaken caloric counts.

So I need a pep talk. Okay, I'm 5'2" and a fatty. Well not quite that bad, but I am slightly overweight. Although a certain part of that (2-3 kg) is due to something beautifully overweight ;) the rest could sort of say auf Wiedersehen without bothering me too much.

I'm 65.5 kg today. Ferk. I SHOULD be between 50-60 kg. In May I was 62.5 but I kinda got off track after I started working a lot. The good news? I have vacation coming up so I can basically exercise every day.

My plan is to keep a very, very anal-retentive account of my caloric intake and activity level so that I can plan a systematic system of weight loss that will stay the ferk off. That means slow but steady. Soooooo if I have to be honest about all the crap I'm putting into my body and how freaking lazy I am, maybe I'll motivate my ass to do something about it. That's my hope, anyway.

You guys don't have to respond. It's more for me than anyone else, but any constructive criticism or advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch! :yes:

Ehh, when I say a fatty, I am kindaaaaa exaggerating a bit, as I wear a size 38 (that's an 8-10 in US sizes - some say 8; others say 10 so I don't know). Eh, size 40 shirts because of my boobs. *shrugs* (that's a 10-12). Buuuut I want to get down to a 34-36. Sooooo :) Here goes nothing.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
2 pieces of advice...

when it comes to reforming diet, slow and steady also applies. every few weeks, pick a new food to replace with a healthier alternative and over time your tastes will adjust. once it becomes second nature, it will be "the norm" and you wont have to think twice about it. :)

when determining target weight, body fat percentage is a much more insightful indicator of health than only body weight. you can get an analyzer (or even a scale that has one built in) at most department stores. they arent super accurate, but they will help you chart your relative progress better than weight.

BMI is pretty much useless

bmi-comparison-293x300.gif

oh, and great idea with the accountability thing! you should also tell a few close friends so it's not as easy to give up.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Caloric Intake today:

Breakfast:

Protein Bar: 175 kcal
Pear: 75 kcal
Black coffee (250 ml) 0 kcal
Water (250ml) 0 kcal
Total: 250 kcal

Lunch:
1 Whole Grain, High Fiber, Pumpkin Seeded Roll: 150 kcal
2 Slices Turkey 100 kcal
Assorted Condiments (lettuce, tomato, cukes) 75 kcal
Mayonnaise 100 kcal
500 ml Milk 325 kcal
Total: 750 kcal

During workout: 0.5 L water 0 kcal

Snack: Protein Bar: 175 kcal
Water 0.5 L 0 kcal
Total: 175 kcal

Dinner
125 g mackerel filets with tomato sauce 200 kcal
1 Salad (Greek cabbage salad with lots of mixed veggies) 250 kcal
500 g low-fat yogurt 275 kcal
Total: 725 kcal

Water: 1 L

Total caloric intake: 725 + 175 + 750 + 250 = 1900 kcal = too damn much

Evaluation: Cut out the protein bar snack, the mayonnaise, and the mackerel filets and you're good to go. (Shit, it adds up quickly, doesn't it???)

Activity Level

Walked 500m to the bus stop (10 minutes) 35 kcal
Walked around town for about an hour later 100 kcal
Did 30 minutes of the elliptical machine at the gym 345 kcal
Walked back to my work (10 minutes) 35 kcal
Walked to the hair dresser (10 minutes) 35 kcal
Walked to the train station (10 minutes) 35 kcal
Walked home (10 minutes) 35 kcal

Otherwise I was pretty sedentary, I must say.

So about 620 kcal?

BMR: 1097.55 (let's say 1100) for 5'2", 65 kg, age 28
Calories burned: 1100 + 620 = 1720

SHIT! 1900 - 1720 = 180 more calories eaten than burned. Ferk. Double ferk. Triple ferk.

Ooooookayyyyyyyy - well, tomorrow I have to do MORE exercise and LESS eating, apparently. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Awww, 'tis okay, Little - you'll get the hang of it!!!! :hug: You're just starting out, after all.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2 pieces of advice...

when it comes to reforming diet, slow and steady also applies. every few weeks, pick a new food to replace with a healthier alternative and over time your tastes will adjust. once it becomes second nature, it will be "the norm" and you wont have to think twice about it. :)

when determining target weight, body fat percentage is a much more insightful indicator of health than only body weight. you can get an analyzer (or even a scale that has one built in) at most department stores. they arent super accurate, but they will help you chart your relative progress better than weight.

BMI is pretty much useless

bmi-comparison-293x300.gif

oh, and great idea with the accountability thing! you should also tell a few close friends so it's not as easy to give up.

Thank you for your support, and yes, I really think the accountability thing will do wonders for me. After all, I don't think I could bear eating a cupcake, a raisin-almond pastry, and a crispy strip if I had to declare it (that's like, egads, 1000 kcal right there!!!) So I think it's a good bit of motivation!!! :D

You're welcome to comment on anything you notice or to mention potential healthy alternatives to what I'm eating (not an expectation - just if you have the time and inclination!)

Good luck and don't lose anything important!

:D Hey, thanks for the support. Please feel free to comment on the diet/exercise blog anytime!

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
no or lite mayo, -100, 300 calories of dairy instead of 600 (3x~100 kcal servings)... that could be 2x8oz skim milk (160 kcal total) and 1x no-fat yogurt cup (100 kcal), that would take another 340 off.

right there is 440 kcal!

you also forgot to add the 1.2x multiplier to your BMR for a normal day of little to no activity. if you do *extensive* walking or any exercise on top of that, then add that number on top. so your calorise used would be ~1100x1.2=1320, +345 eliptical, +250 - a bit less than 2 hours of walking, meaning total used is over 1900. BMR alone is like... how many calories you'd use if you were in a coma. :rofl1:

so my suggestion: cut out the protein bar in the morning since you have the turkey and mackerel, move the (no-fat!) yogurt to breakfast, no mayo, then you can have either 2 cups of (no fat) milk at lunch or 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner. that will help balance out the meals a bit more and would shave you down to 1450 for a 450 calorie deficit, which is pretty good for long term weight loss. :)

nice work! im impressed with how well you documented everything. if you keep this up i think you will be happy with your progress

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
no or lite mayo, -100, 300 calories of dairy instead of 600 (3x~100 kcal servings)... that could be 2x8oz skim milk (160 kcal total) and 1x no-fat yogurt cup (100 kcal), that would take another 340 off.

right there is 440 kcal!

you also forgot to add the 1.2x multiplier to your BMR for a normal day of little to no activity. if you do *extensive* walking or any exercise on top of that, then add that number on top. so your calorise used would be ~1100x1.2=1320, +345 eliptical, +250 - a bit less than 2 hours of walking, meaning total used is over 1900. BMR alone is like... how many calories you'd use if you were in a coma. :rofl1:

so my suggestion: cut out the protein bar in the morning since you have the turkey and mackerel, move the (no-fat!) yogurt to breakfast, no mayo, then you can have either 2 cups of (no fat) milk at lunch or 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner. that will help balance out the meals a bit more and would shave you down to 1450 for a 450 calorie deficit, which is pretty good for long term weight loss. :)

nice work! im impressed with how well you documented everything. if you keep this up i think you will be happy with your progress

Hey, Greyscale, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me. I think that's a *really* good plan! :D I will definitely put it into effect.

DOH! I did forget the multiplier - you're right LOL. Although I'm not super-active, I'm totally not in a coma yet. Hehehehe :D

Yep, so I will get started on that tomorrow and see what happens.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Burning more calories (via exercise) than you ingest tells you're body this:

"I'm starving. Please hold onto everything."

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Burning more calories than you ingest tells you're body this:

Really? I thought that was only if you eat, like 800 calories or something. Then how can one lose weight?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Burning more calories than you ingest tells you're body this:

lol... this is literally the only way to lose weight, i mean, except for cutting off limbs or something.

youre probably thinking of people who eat so little that their body begins to not only burn fat for energy, but digest lean mass like muscles, bones, and organs for nutrients. also, it will slow your metabolism so that the fat lost will actually be even less than you would if you had a smaller deficit.

what you have to do is ensure you eat enough calories and nutrients that your body is getting everything it needs, but less total calories than you need so your body will use fat to make up the difference. this is done by eating better quality foods... think more nutritional bang for your caloric buck, then cutting out some foods like complex carbohydrates that are a primarily for energy.

someone who eats 3000 calories a day of junk food isnt eating nearly as well as someone who eats half as much calories of healthy food. :yes: junk food tends to be high in sugar and carbohydrates, so the person who eats healthy will probably feel hungry quite a bit more often, that's a sign that they have a higher, healthier metabolism that isnt being fed by processed sugars and such.

i eat and burn about 3500 calories a day and im still always hungry if im eating like a should... seems like it's when i have a bunch of junk food that i dont feel hungry :thinking: thats because im eating a ton of energy - fat, sugar, etc. but that doesnt mean im getting the nutrients i need.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1. Holy shit girl! I would DIE eating that sort of diet.. >.>

Ugh.. Im definitely NOT a nutritionist, but I do know if you exercise a good amount everyday, and you pick healthier options and stay away from sodawater and junk, you'll be fine.

However extreme you take it from there, I'll root for you on the sidelines while eating my bigass cheeseburger extra pickles.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Holy shit girl! I would DIE eating that sort of diet.. >.>

Ugh.. Im definitely NOT a nutritionist, but I do know if you exercise a good amount everyday, and you pick healthier options and stay away from sodawater and junk, you'll be fine.

However extreme you take it from there, I'll root for you on the sidelines while eating my bigass cheeseburger extra pickles.

Thank you, hon!!!! And I can vicariously enjoy that bigass cheeseburger through you!! :D

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
lol... this is literally the only way to lose weight, i mean, except for cutting off limbs or something.

youre probably thinking of people who eat so little that their body begins to not only burn fat for energy, but digest lean mass like muscles, bones, and organs for nutrients. also, it will slow your metabolism so that the fat lost will actually be even less than you would if you had a smaller deficit.

what you have to do is ensure you eat enough calories and nutrients that your body is getting everything it needs, but less total calories than you need so your body will use fat to make up the difference. this is done by eating better quality foods... think more nutritional bang for your caloric buck, then cutting out some foods like complex carbohydrates that are a primarily for energy.

someone who eats 3000 calories a day of junk food isnt eating nearly as well as someone who eats half as much calories of healthy food. :yes: junk food tends to be high in sugar and carbohydrates, so the person who eats healthy will probably feel hungry quite a bit more often, that's a sign that they have a higher, healthier metabolism that isnt being fed by processed sugars and such.

I actually just didn't look very closely at it, lol. I thought she said that she burned the 1700 calories just from exercise, which I've seen a lot of people do :doh:

EDIT: I don't think eating 2-3 meals a day is enough though. I'm going to work right now but I'll take a better look at it later.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

This is a really good point. As my husband said, even chocolate has vitamins, but the amount of vitamins a chocolate bar has in relation to its caloric value is significantly less than that of, say, a salad. That's why people say chocolate is 'unhealthy' because that 500 kcal of goodness carries only about 1/100th the vitamins and minerals that a salad has (heh, if that).

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually just didn't look very closely at it, lol. I thought she said that she burned the 1700 calories just from exercise, which I've seen a lot of people do :doh:

:D No worries. I bet you know a lot about it, and I look forward to reading any bits of helpful advice or tips you may have.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP

EDIT: I don't think eating 2-3 meals a day is enough though. I'm going to work right now but I'll take a better look at it later.

if you think thats crazy, go check out the diets that the olympic atheletes are on. michael phelps eats something like 10,000 a day. :shock:

and i agree, it's better to eat 4-5 smaller meals than 2-3 big ones. your body actually conditions itself based on when you usually eat (ever notice you feel hungry the same time every day?)

i eat 3 meals and 3 snacks in between :D it really seems to help your metabolism, it's kinda annoying. i eat this big meal and 1 hour later i feel hungry again.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
TEN THOUSAND???? HOLY CRAP????

when i am doing a long day of mountain climbing i will eat about 5000-6000 and that seems like a disgusting amount to me, i have no idea how he does it without completely hating food by the end of the day.

i wish i had the dietitians and cooks those guys have. :thinking:

edit: holy crap! :sick:

"Here’s Phelps’s typical menu. (No, he doesn’t choose among these options. He eats them all, according to the Post.)

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

But what about the choice of foods? All those eggs and ham and cheese can’t possibly be good for him, can they? Says Klion, “I think for him, because of his caloric demands, he can probably eat whatever he wants to.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn exercising, you lose weight. But an athlete like Phelps, who exercises up a storm, has to worry about eating enough to replenish the scads of calories he’s burned. If he doesn’t, Klion explains, his “body won’t recover, the muscles will not recover, there will not be adequate energy stored for him to compete in his next event.”

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
when i am doing a long day of mountain climbing i will eat about 5000-6000 and that seems like a disgusting amount to me, i have no idea how he does it without completely hating food by the end of the day.

i wish i had the dietitians and cooks those guys have. :thinking:

edit: holy crap! :sick:

"Here’s Phelps’s typical menu. (No, he doesn’t choose among these options. He eats them all, according to the Post.)

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

But what about the choice of foods? All those eggs and ham and cheese can’t possibly be good for him, can they? Says Klion, “I think for him, because of his caloric demands, he can probably eat whatever he wants to.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn exercising, you lose weight. But an athlete like Phelps, who exercises up a storm, has to worry about eating enough to replenish the scads of calories he’s burned. If he doesn’t, Klion explains, his “body won’t recover, the muscles will not recover, there will not be adequate energy stored for him to compete in his next event.”

Unreal!!!!!! It must be nice to have that problem!!! (Oh damn, will I eat enough today????). Ughhh, I don't think I've ever had that problem.

Cure: Become an Olympic athlete.

Just kidding lol.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Phelps is a beast. A manly, erotic 10,000calorie eating beast.

Swimming aside though, Just don't get stuck eating all the same shit! Your body thrives off of variety.