• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pep Talk Diary for Weight Loss

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
No bread??? At all??? Forever and ever??? Nooooooo please noooooo....Oh, okay, if I have to, then fine....:cry: What about multigrain or wholewheat bread??? I like those, and I don't know - but I don't think they are too bad, right?

Bread is something that I personally cut out of my diet (except for black bread) because once I realized how many calories are in even wholewheat bread I figured I'd rather get my calories elsewhere. The same choice need not be right for you, but it's meant as an example of a drastic change. :yes:

Well I started today by getting rid of mayonnaise and butter - I think that's a step in the right direction! :D And I did not eat any sweets today at all (did I? no...I didn't).

Today I almost did not go to the gym - but then I thought, SHIT, you're going to have to admit you were a lazy ass tonight, so I went to the gym, and look how good I was. :D

Good for you on both counts! :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Caloric Intake (I was pissed off and busy, so I did not eat much):

Breakfast:

1 pear 75 kcal
1 milk coffee 150 kcal

Total: 225 kcal

Lunch:

1 pear 75 kcal
1 milk coffee 150 kcal

Total: 225 kcal

Dinner:

1 dark break roll 150 kcal
50 g turkey breast 50 kcal
tomato, cukes, lettuce 50 kcal
VERY little butter 50 kcal

Total: 300 kcal

Total calories eaten: 225 + 225 + 300 = 750 kcal

Total calories burned:

BMR: 1100 x 1.2 = 1320

Total extra calories burned:

90 minutes walking 420 kcal
- 10 minutes to the bus stop
- 5 minutes to the company
- 5 minutes to the bus stop
- 5 minutes to work
- 5 minutes to work
- 10 minutes to the company
- 10 minutes to the bus stop
- 30 minutes from train station home

Total calories burned: 1320 + 420 = 1720

Total calories burned for day: 1720 - 750 = 970 calories

Yeah, yeah, yeah - I didn't eat *enough* today. I know. I know. But I just did not feel hungry and I just did not have any desire to eat much.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ehhh my Internet is not working so I had to wait until today to go to an Internet cafe. These results were from yesterday.

Caloric Intake:

Breakfast:

1 dark roll 150 kcal
tomato, cukes, lettuce 50 kcal
250 ml low fat milk 120

Total 420 kcal

Lunch:

300 ml yogurt 250 kcal
1 apple 70 kcal
1 pear 80 kcal

Total: 400 kcal

Fitness studio snack:

1 banana 120 kcal
500 ml fitness drink 60 kcal

Total: 180 kcal

Dinner:

1 salad with mixed veggies, tuna and salmon 500 kcal

Total: 420 + 400 + 180 + 500 = 1500 kcal

Total Calories burned:

BMR = 1100 x 1.2 = 1320

Total extra calories burned:

60 minutes walking 283
45 minute elliptical machine 552

Total extra calories burned: 552 + 283 = 835

Total calories burned: 1320 + 835 = 2155

Total calories burned more than eaten: 2155 - 1500 = 655 kcal

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
i eat 3 meals and 3 snacks in between :D it really seems to help your metabolism, it's kinda annoying. i eat this big meal and 1 hour later i feel hungry again.

I've noticed this too although in my case it is out of laziness and not feeling like getting up to make something to eat and/or spend time on preparing and eating food. Anyways, if you always only just give your body what it needs to get rid of the hunger feeling and not "overeat" so to say i.e. create reserves, you'll get hungry much sooner. It becomes a bit of a vicious circle. And I agree that it can be annoying.

Viel Erfolg, LL!

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Meal frequency is an excellent way to manage your feelings of hunger. I think something that would help you understand what plan would be best for you would be looking at the soma types(ecto, meso, endo) and figuring how your metabolism plays with your hunger. Gray scale you seem like a fit guy with a good metabolism so I would guess that your more on the meso-ecto side of things.

That can be important because people with good metabolism's will quickly burn off that energy from food and therefore will frequently hungry regardless of how much they ate. In my case I'm a meso-ecto so I have to constantly eat and I can handle bigger snacks and meals and eat more frequently to better handle my metabolism.

In my immediate family though all the girls are more on the endo scale of things so they need larger more dispersed meals since they do not burn off the energy from foods as easily. It may seem a little obvious but I found it really helped explain why I could have a massive meal for dinner and then 3 or 4 hours later I'm back in the kitchen preparing a pizza or pigging out again, granted I wasn't in the greatest of shapes and didn't have even basic knowledge of nutrition but I still maintained a relatively athletic shape, something my sisters and mom couldn't fathom because their metabolism is very different.

If you are interested here is a link about the soma types

The major body types are: True Ecto Ecto-Meso Meso-Ecto True Meso ... - Body Types

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed this too although in my case it is out of laziness and not feeling like getting up to make something to eat and/or spend time on preparing and eating food. Anyways, if you always only just give your body what it needs to get rid of the hunger feeling and not "overeat" so to say i.e. create reserves, you'll get hungry much sooner. It becomes a bit of a vicious circle. And I agree that it can be annoying.

Viel Erfolg, LL!

Thanks so much. I will try to lower my meals and eat more often.

Meal frequency is an excellent way to manage your feelings of hunger. I think something that would help you understand what plan would be best for you would be looking at the soma types(ecto, meso, endo) and figuring how your metabolism plays with your hunger. Gray scale you seem like a fit guy with a good metabolism so I would guess that your more on the meso-ecto side of things.

That can be important because people with good metabolism's will quickly burn off that energy from food and therefore will frequently hungry regardless of how much they ate. In my case I'm a meso-ecto so I have to constantly eat and I can handle bigger snacks and meals and eat more frequently to better handle my metabolism.

In my immediate family though all the girls are more on the endo scale of things so they need larger more dispersed meals since they do not burn off the energy from foods as easily. It may seem a little obvious but I found it really helped explain why I could have a massive meal for dinner and then 3 or 4 hours later I'm back in the kitchen preparing a pizza or pigging out again, granted I wasn't in the greatest of shapes and didn't have even basic knowledge of nutrition but I still maintained a relatively athletic shape, something my sisters and mom couldn't fathom because their metabolism is very different.

If you are interested here is a link about the soma types

The major body types are: True Ecto Ecto-Meso Meso-Ecto True Meso ... - Body Types

Thank you for this post. It was really interesting. I think I'm an Endo-Meso. I mean I would say true Endo BUT I tend to get really strong really easily. If I train at the gym, for example, 15 reps 3 times or even 10 reps with high weight three times, I can raise the weight after three times (!) but ughhh that fat percentage just kills me. And if I wanna be skinny I have to basically STARVE myself TOTALLY. Maybe I'm even an Endo. I don't know. Ugh. I gain weight easily (TOO easily) BUT I can also LOSE weight relatively easily (maybe it's just water weight???) SO perhaps I am Endo-Meso??? Not sure. Maybe you can help me. With intensive training (like a rehab after an OP) I got more defined within three weeks (is that normal?). So I don't know. My hips are wide, but not too wide. My chest is big, my waist is like 8 - 10 inches smaller than my hips. My measurements are 42-29-38 (my lower chest measurement is 34 though - so it's not like I'm a tub, just well-endowed ;)). I'm thinking Endo-Meso? Could you lend your thoughts? Thanks.

BTW: I'm hoping to get my waist down to 24 (yeah RIGHT!!! but I have to have a goal) and my hips down to 36 or 34. Chest - just forget it - it ain't happening LOL.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think you're a full Endo, I think you guessed your type pretty accurately. I wouldn't back off the heavier weights if I were you It seems like you really benefit from them. Your diet looks good so maybe I would just suggest to just try and get in a little cardio to help with the body fat percentage. I found that It honestly really helped me, but the thing is you have to be pretty consistent with it , you don't have to go crazy or too intense but I found when I consistently made it a point to do( It was positively painful at first to get myself motivated to do it, which is sad because I used to play soccer and run all the time) you'll be really happy it honestly does make you feel better.

In all honesty the biggest thing with working out is just being consistent, as long as your keeping on schedule with your diet and pushing yourself at the gym and not cheating yourself or procrastinating with your workouts you will make progress. Goals are also a nice thing because they help you always strive for something and keep you sort of accountable when you feel like skipping a routine.

But yeah it seems like you have a decent ability to lift and it doesn't seem like torture for you( My absurdly skinny cousins hate lifting there ectos, but endurance wise I cant compete with them at all), so just experiment a little and try and see what works for your body. I think after you get in a groove and start seeing some improvements you start to get a sense of the type of exercises and routines work best for you and also your diet, so don't be afraid to experiment if you see something interesting, challenging, or fun at the gym sometimes the best exercises and routines are discovered that way.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think you're a full Endo, I think you guessed your type pretty accurately. I wouldn't back off the heavier weights if I were you It seems like you really benefit from them. Your diet looks good so maybe I would just suggest to just try and get in a little cardio to help with the body fat percentage. I found that It honestly really helped me, but the thing is you have to be pretty consistent with it , you don't have to go crazy or too intense but I found when I consistently made it a point to do( It was positively painful at first to get myself motivated to do it, which is sad because I used to play soccer and run all the time) you'll be really happy it honestly does make you feel better.

In all honesty the biggest thing with working out is just being consistent, as long as your keeping on schedule with your diet and pushing yourself at the gym and not cheating yourself or procrastinating with your workouts you will make progress. Goals are also a nice thing because they help you always strive for something and keep you sort of accountable when you feel like skipping a routine.

But yeah it seems like you have a decent ability to lift and it doesn't seem like torture for you( My absurdly skinny cousins hate lifting there ectos, but endurance wise I cant compete with them at all), so just experiment a little and try and see what works for your body. I think after you get in a groove and start seeing some improvements you start to get a sense of the type of exercises and routines work best for you and also your diet, so don't be afraid to experiment if you see something interesting, challenging, or fun at the gym sometimes the best exercises and routines are discovered that way.

Thanks for the tips. No, lifting is not torture for me; in fact my personal trainer seemed pretty impressed. Granted, I had to start with lower weight after my hiatus from working out. But even after nearly two months away, I had to only lower one peg on all the weights and I did it pretty effortlessly (but I wanted to go easy at first).

Actually, I kind of like lifting and 'feeling' my muscles 'working'. My legs are so strong that I did not even have to go down a peg :D I think it's all the walking. I just want to be careful with my upper body because I had a back OP.

Okay, I have to admit: I was really good yesterday. I did 60 minutes of walking and 75 minutes of cardio and 15 weights and 15 calisthenics. Today I did not do much because I had my shooting. And I cheated: whaaa I had a waffle with ice cream and cherries. DOH! But I will be good again tomorrow and go to the gym and work out a lot, and I should be back on track. Sometimes I need a little cheat. :blush:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Shit I don't even remember my caloric intake and stuff for the past couple of days. DOH! I should write it down. But I know I worked my ass off yesterday at the gym WOO HOO!!!! 60 minutes walking, 35 minutes elliptical, 40 minutes stepper, 15 minutes weight lifting, 15 minutes calisthenics. So I don't feel so bad about being a lazy ass today (I did a shooting for an erotic calendar for my husband for Christmas wooooo hooooo!!!! So I did not feel like going to the gym. That lasted three hours, and feels like calisthenics LOL.)

Caloric Intake:

Breakfast:

1 protein bar 190 kcal
1 milk coffee 120 kcal

Total: 310 kcal

Lunch:

1 dark roll 150 kcal
tomato slice, cukes, lettuce 50 kcal
250 ml juice 150 kcal

Total: 450 kcal

Snack (VERY, VERY BAD GIRL - tomorrow you have to work out forever!!!)

1 waffle 500 kcal (whaaaa)
1 scoop amarena ice cream 150 kcal (oh dear)
50 g hot cherries 150 kcal
25 g whipped cream 100 kcal

Whopping total: whaaaaaaa 900 kcal (YOU ASSRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Oh dear, I think I'm just having a salad for dinner. :blush:

Total damage: 900 + 450 + 310 = 1610 kcal (hides her head in shame)

Total caloric burn:

BMR: 1100 x 1.2 = 1320

Total extra calories:

60 minutes walking 287 kcal

Total calories burned: 1320 + 287 = 1607 kcal

Total calories burned: 1607 - 1910 = -3 kcal

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! No waffles. No. Never again. Whaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! Dumbass!!! Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!! :steam:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Snack (VERY, VERY BAD GIRL - tomorrow you have to work out forever!!!)

... I'm guessing you were hungry when you decided on the waffle? ;)

I totally recognize the pattern of being good and restraining yourself for a while until you suddenly sin and indulge in something wicked. I don't mean to preach :sorry: but I feel called on to reiterate that what worked for me was reconfiguring my diet so I didn't have to restrain myself. When you eat filling, low-calorie meals, you have the stamina to resist temptation. :jesus: <-- Basically, you'll know you're on the right track once religious imagery is no longer appropriate to describe your weight loss experience. ;)

For instance, if you replace your sandwich-and-juice lunch with a salad based on fall vegetables (I assume you have refrigerator access at work?), you'll feel much more satiated on the same amount of calories. Salads based on the kind of daunting vegetables that don't even really look like food when you're scouring the supermarket aisle (such as celeriac) are great with the right preparation and taste givers, I promise! :yes: I suggest you buy a good book of healthy salad recipes and take the time in the evenings to prepare them (it's a good idea to prepare two different ones at a time so as to maximize taste variety).

Incidentally, I happen to know that you can get caffeine over the counter in Germany. Have you considered consuming your caffeine in pill format? I do that when I don't have time in the morning to enjoy my coffee but still need the caffeine. Just a tip in case you've been thinking of your milk coffee as non-negotiable! :devil:

Disclaimer: The forcefulness of my advice-giving aside (the zealousness of the convert... :blush:), I won't take it personally if you don't take my advice, so there's no need to make nice if it doesn't resonate with you. :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
... I'm guessing you were hungry when you decided on the waffle? ;)

I totally recognize the pattern of being good and restraining yourself for a while until you suddenly sin and indulge in something wicked. I don't mean to preach :sorry: but I feel called on to reiterate that what worked for me was reconfiguring my diet so I didn't have to restrain myself. When you eat filling, low-calorie meals, you have the stamina to resist temptation. :jesus: <-- Basically, you'll know you're on the right track once religious imagery is no longer appropriate to describe your weight loss experience. ;)

For instance, if you replace your sandwich-and-juice lunch with a salad based on fall vegetables (I assume you have refrigerator access at work?), you'll feel much more satiated on the same amount of calories. Salads based on the kind of daunting vegetables that don't even really look like food when you're scouring the supermarket aisle (such as celeriac) are great with the right preparation and taste givers, I promise! :yes: I suggest you buy a good book of healthy salad recipes and take the time in the evenings to prepare them (it's a good idea to prepare two different ones at a time so as to maximize taste variety).

Incidentally, I happen to know that you can get caffeine over the counter in Germany. Have you considered consuming your caffeine in pill format? I do that when I don't have time in the morning to enjoy my coffee but still need the caffeine. Just a tip in case you've been thinking of your milk coffee as non-negotiable! :devil:

Disclaimer: The forcefulness of my advice-giving aside (the zealousness of the convert... :blush:), I won't take it personally if you don't take my advice, so there's no need to make nice if it doesn't resonate with you. :)

Actually, I was not super-duper hungry. I was hungry, but not overly so. See the problem is that my husband can basically eat anything and he looks sporty and wonderful. So he always wants to share with me, and I feel bad if I do not eat with him because that's one of his favorite things to do. (I think he's an S). He's happy if he has lovely food in front of him. So I eat with him and don't realize til after, OH GOD WHAT DID I EAT?!?!?!

To my credit, I worked out like an ASSRAT yesterday. 35 min stepper, 65 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes weight lifting, 15 minutes calisthenics, 30 minutes walking, 15 minutes sauna. So I did not put on a shit load of weight or anything, but ughhhhh!

How do you deal with living with a man like this when you want to change your diet? For example, he made an awesome brunch, and when I said I couldn't eat it, he was all grumpy-like. SO I ate a little bit and said I could not eat anymore and he was like, YOU NEED TO EAT MORE. And I told him, Jeez Louise I don't HAVE a metabolism like yours. I can't just EAT whatever I want to. Ughhhhh and then he said I was being totally static and really anal-retentive about the whole thing. He said I deal with problems in a static and systematic way. I don't let things happen. Basically an SJ with a huge pole up my ass. UGHGHGHHGGHGHHGHGH! He just doesn't get it. And it is so hard to stay on a diet when it's like that. Grrrrr.

I guess I just need to stick to my guns even though it causes problems. I mean, I don't want to blame my husband or anything. It's my body and I need to take responsibility. But it just makes it that much harder.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
LOL admittedly being INTP and all I don't know that I'd be qualified or even able to give you advice on how to "deal" with your husband, but I think you made a good decision to stick to your guns. Metabolism is very real and from what you say you two seem to have drastically different ones. I don't know, I'd suggest maybe talk it out with him a little bit, adjust a little bit figure out meals that aren't super "diety" but are still healthy.

I found personally that talking things out, making a stand, and educating my family( there used to the three square heavy meals/ you're young you don't have to worry about diet and exercise mentality) about my habits really helped, At first it was sort of confrontational in the sense that there were two seemingly opposite sides with strong beliefs, eventually they just sort of accepted my ways and at the same time learned a little themselves and would consult me on how to be in better shape.

*mind you this is coming from someone with a metabolism similar to your husbands. So from his aspect I can see how you could get kinda careless with diet and still be in relatively great shape, it doesn't mean that he shouldn't be able to enjoy himself and eat healthier

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL admittedly being INTP and all I don't know that I'd be qualified or even able to give you advice on how to "deal" with your husband, but I think you made a good decision to stick to your guns. Metabolism is very real and from what you say you two seem to have drastically different ones. I don't know, I'd suggest maybe talk it out with him a little bit, adjust a little bit figure out meals that aren't super "diety" but are still healthy.

I found personally that talking things out, making a stand, and educating my family( there used to the three square heavy meals/ you're young you don't have to worry about diet and exercise mentality) about my habits really helped, At first it was sort of confrontational in the sense that there were two seemingly opposite sides with strong beliefs, eventually they just sort of accepted my ways and at the same time learned a little themselves and would consult me on how to be in better shape.

*mind you this is coming from someone with a metabolism similar to your husbands. So from his aspect I can see how you could get kinda careless with diet and still be in relatively great shape, it doesn't mean that he shouldn't be able to enjoy himself and eat healthier

Yes, this is true. Of course, there will be no changing him because he is relatively opinionated, and I do not want to give him the sense that I am controlling him just because I am on a diet. Nonetheless, I realize I have to watch out and stick to my guns no matter what. :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
you could try explaining that this is an important personal goal of yours, and you would appreciate his support... give him an opportunity to be a part of the solution. :yes: that can be a lot of different things, he doesnt have to eat the same food as you, but he can be sensitive to the fact that you are trying to improve your eating habits. that means eating his chocolate cake quietly without the Mmmms and the Ahhhhs! :D

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you could try explaining that this is an important personal goal of yours, and you would appreciate his support... give him an opportunity to be a part of the solution. :yes: that can be a lot of different things, he doesnt have to eat the same food as you, but he can be sensitive to the fact that you are trying to improve your eating habits. that means eating his chocolate cake quietly without the Mmmms and the Ahhhhs! :D

Right!!! :D

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude!!!!! Good news. I'm down to 64.5 kg. So I lost one kilo in the space of about - well one week or two. Not sure.

Oh yeah, and since 13 October I've been working out every day doing 30 minutes cardio, 25 minutes weights, and 15 minutes calisthenics.

I've been watching my diet, but I don't see the need to calculate every single calorie anymore now that I've kind of got the hang of it.

I can't WAIT to go on the fat analysis machine again.

The first time I went on the fat analysis machine, I think it was about a week or so ago, it told me I was 65.3 kilos. Okay, so that was bad - I had gained 3 kilos in a space of pfft - 4 months. However, I gained 800g of muscle since the last time my weight analysis was made. So that was good - that means working out is making me stronger.

Today I weighed in on the normal scale (where I keep track of regular progress - but the scales both usually say the same thing) at 64.5. Woo hoo. Progress for sure. Even better, my size is much better. When I started, I was 105/83-80-98 and now the tape measure says 100/78-73-94. Awesome!!! And now my jeans fit better, so I know it's not just my imagination!!!! :D

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yup. Those are the progress indicators you want to pay attention too, and also the ones that keep you on the grind.

It really is a good feeling when you work hard and 2 weeks later or a month later you notice the little things like your clothes feeling better, your muscle to fat ratio, your energy, and just the fact that you are gaining skill(mentioned you no longer need to sit and calculate stuff). I think those things are what I really loved about bodybuilding and working out.

Keep posting though, I personally found you have a tendency to slack when you are not held accountable to anyone or thing.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So today I worked out again :D Go me!!! I went on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes and did about 25 minutes of weights and 15 minutes calisthenics. I've noticed that I can once again increase the weights on the machine because I can do 20 reps without feeling much of a strain.

Exercise Start Now
Bench Press 7.5 kg 12.5 kg
Butterfly 15 kg 20 kg
Lat Pull Down 35 kg 40 kg
Abductor 35 kg 40 kg

And working with a thera-band has gotten easier too. I think I'll need to start working with weights to do the back and ab work because it's gotten too easy.

WOO HOO!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and I watched what I ate, too. I ate about 1200-1400 kcal today.

P.S. By the way, for you US folks, 1 kg = 2.2 pounds

P.P.S. Be proud of me - this is the sixth day in a row I've been to the gym!!! WOO HOO!!! :D