• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Official 2017 Healthy Habits Challenge/Goals!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What was/is your HEMA like? Do you use bastard/sparring sword or long sword or some of the short swords like cutlass, messr schmitt or do you do knife/dagger and pugilism? Our trainer is great, he's got an idea about making the school generalist, like armsmasters in might and magic is all I'm thinking, so we do a mix of all techniques.

I'm eager for quarterstaff to come up, I've got an idea about training buckler and dagger too but I dont know if everyone thinks like me.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons style fighting fantasy books is what brought me to this interest, I think I'm a sort of real world version of the cleric character. Though I never read the song of roland.

Also does anyone think that Crossfit is a cult?

I don't crossfit. I don't think it's a cult... But... it borrowed heavily from some really unhealthy military-style mentalities that I don't think shaped it right. Showing off how your hands are bleeding from a DAILY work out, showing off how you threw up from working so hard... these are not sustainable practices to me. I'm sure some niche people like them... but the amount people fucking charge for crossfit gyms and the amount of injuries that resulted from these unsafe mentalities, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I walked away and never looked back.

Bruises are not a daily occurence in my sport--which involves swinging metal swords at one another. I don't think physical injury should be glorified in the process of trying to get the body healthy. Something about that is stupid and counter intuitive. There are times we earn our blood and sweat and bruises and tears... but earning them is a bit different than the guarantee from peer pressure and people trying to force you into something you aren't ready for.

I think doing it on your own, or with a group you trust is totally fine. But I have other outlets that I find effective in strength training and cardio, so I'll take those over trying to give this another shot.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So it's close to the new year! How did I do?

I plan on competing in a tournament for HEMA and I will go to at least 1 practice a week as much as possible. --- I have not only done this, exceeded it entirely. I go to at least 2 practices a week, been to 3 tournaments/events. I'm a far better fighter than I was in January. I also obtained proper gear this year--still a huge work in progress but definitely getting there.

I am aiming to complete 2 8-week programs for Fitness Blender. I will try my best to complete each week, but I am giving myself a minimum of 3 days of working out for sure during the program.. I need a rest day somewhere and they run 6/7 days a week and HEMA will already be one of those days and I'll be running soon soo... At least a legs day, upper body day, and cardio/abs day. --- This however I failed miserably at. I did do some 3 and 4 week programs (1 each) but not even for each day. I think I need to build a custom program with my own calendar and arrange things together in a way that fits my schedule. A 10 minute burn-out work out after practice days and at least 1 cardio endurance day.

I will drink a cup of water when I wake up in the morning, and I will drink 2 cups of water each day I get onto shift and again halfway through shift. Right now I've been halfway towards this. My water drinking tended to be done at night (so I'd wake up a bit shy of continuous sleep and have to pee... so I'm trying to structure things so I don't wake up from needing to pee vs on my own from the alarm.) --- Can't say I have this down yet, but I have been drinking more water at work which I think has helped me out, and now that it's cold hot tea in the mornings with breakfast hasn't hurt. It's still not a habit, but a work in progress for sure.

I will try to get 6-7 continuous hours of sleep depending on what my body is feeling, but try not to over sleep as I've had a problem with that the past year. --- My sleep has been fine really. I don't feel tired on my work days, nor after my work days anymore. I get 7-9 hours, sometimes 10 but not as often as before. Part time naturally helped with this, the night shifts were taking their toll. When I do wake up I'm not dead or trying to shake off fog, but opening my eyes wide and sometimes waking up before my alarm set.

I will try to eat vegetables of some sort with every single dish I cook (lately I've been a bit lazy.. but this has become easier with the markets being open again and new products out in the frozen sections of the grocery store), and I aim to make 3 Japanese-style dishes a week. They can be the same dish. This month has been a variety of experiments.. but rice, pickled vegetables, enoki mushrooms wrapped in bacon, miso soup, and curry were among the last month.. so this month, a different pickling technique, boiled shrimp, sushi with shrimp on top, curry, miso soup, steamed vegetables, calamari salad, and matcha pancakes are on the menu. Jan-Mar I'll be cooking at least 1 dish a week... by the summer work my way into eating an entire breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a Japanese style of cooking. Mostly because I learn new cooking techniques and have fun with healthy foods. --- I DO cook more asian than I used to for sure. Poke bowls, soups, rice dishes, and some other flares thrown in... Japanese inspired dishes that aren't Japanese, Indian cooking like tikka masala.. I can't say I eat Japanese food for breakfast all the time, but the STYLE of it--lots of small dishes put together with a variety of savory, sweet, and healthy? I am more in tuned with that. The holiday season always fucks with peoples' eating habits and I'm not exception, but overall I did a pretty good job with this.

Finally, when the weather is warmer out, I aim to go running. I want to get back to running 2 miles like it's another day at the job... so I'll be using a couple flat trails I found near water sources here to do that. I'll start going 1-2x a week and work my way up from there. --- HAH!! I did go running a handful of times.. Nothing NEAR what I hoped to be doing. I think hashing is my only real ticket into running outside. I need to up my ante on that. I do go on a hash once a month. It doesn't help we got an indoor space at my school, I had a good flat trail to run on after hema school. I think hashing twice a month instead of once a month is a good way to go, and now that it's winter I may very well be stuck as far as running.. I can't go too far by myself in case my auto immune issues flare up and I get stuck. But I can go hiking in the woods with my SO more, and I might just have to do indoor cardio + that until the cold breaks.

Overall? I'm pretty happy with how the year turned out, and I aim to do even better next year!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So it's close to the new year! How did I do?

I plan on competing in a tournament for HEMA and I will go to at least 1 practice a week as much as possible. --- I have not only done this, exceeded it entirely. I go to at least 2 practices a week, been to 3 tournaments/events. I'm a far better fighter than I was in January. I also obtained proper gear this year--still a huge work in progress but definitely getting there.

I am aiming to complete 2 8-week programs for Fitness Blender. I will try my best to complete each week, but I am giving myself a minimum of 3 days of working out for sure during the program.. I need a rest day somewhere and they run 6/7 days a week and HEMA will already be one of those days and I'll be running soon soo... At least a legs day, upper body day, and cardio/abs day. --- This however I failed miserably at. I did do some 3 and 4 week programs (1 each) but not even for each day. I think I need to build a custom program with my own calendar and arrange things together in a way that fits my schedule. A 10 minute burn-out work out after practice days and at least 1 cardio endurance day.

I will drink a cup of water when I wake up in the morning, and I will drink 2 cups of water each day I get onto shift and again halfway through shift. Right now I've been halfway towards this. My water drinking tended to be done at night (so I'd wake up a bit shy of continuous sleep and have to pee... so I'm trying to structure things so I don't wake up from needing to pee vs on my own from the alarm.) --- Can't say I have this down yet, but I have been drinking more water at work which I think has helped me out, and now that it's cold hot tea in the mornings with breakfast hasn't hurt. It's still not a habit, but a work in progress for sure.

I will try to get 6-7 continuous hours of sleep depending on what my body is feeling, but try not to over sleep as I've had a problem with that the past year. --- My sleep has been fine really. I don't feel tired on my work days, nor after my work days anymore. I get 7-9 hours, sometimes 10 but not as often as before. Part time naturally helped with this, the night shifts were taking their toll. When I do wake up I'm not dead or trying to shake off fog, but opening my eyes wide and sometimes waking up before my alarm set.

I will try to eat vegetables of some sort with every single dish I cook (lately I've been a bit lazy.. but this has become easier with the markets being open again and new products out in the frozen sections of the grocery store), and I aim to make 3 Japanese-style dishes a week. They can be the same dish. This month has been a variety of experiments.. but rice, pickled vegetables, enoki mushrooms wrapped in bacon, miso soup, and curry were among the last month.. so this month, a different pickling technique, boiled shrimp, sushi with shrimp on top, curry, miso soup, steamed vegetables, calamari salad, and matcha pancakes are on the menu. Jan-Mar I'll be cooking at least 1 dish a week... by the summer work my way into eating an entire breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a Japanese style of cooking. Mostly because I learn new cooking techniques and have fun with healthy foods. --- I DO cook more asian than I used to for sure. Poke bowls, soups, rice dishes, and some other flares thrown in... Japanese inspired dishes that aren't Japanese, Indian cooking like tikka masala.. I can't say I eat Japanese food for breakfast all the time, but the STYLE of it--lots of small dishes put together with a variety of savory, sweet, and healthy? I am more in tuned with that. The holiday season always fucks with peoples' eating habits and I'm not exception, but overall I did a pretty good job with this.

Finally, when the weather is warmer out, I aim to go running. I want to get back to running 2 miles like it's another day at the job... so I'll be using a couple flat trails I found near water sources here to do that. I'll start going 1-2x a week and work my way up from there. --- HAH!! I did go running a handful of times.. Nothing NEAR what I hoped to be doing. I think hashing is my only real ticket into running outside. I need to up my ante on that. I do go on a hash once a month. It doesn't help we got an indoor space at my school, I had a good flat trail to run on after hema school. I think hashing twice a month instead of once a month is a good way to go, and now that it's winter I may very well be stuck as far as running.. I can't go too far by myself in case my auto immune issues flare up and I get stuck. But I can go hiking in the woods with my SO more, and I might just have to do indoor cardio + that until the cold breaks.

Overall? I'm pretty happy with how the year turned out, and I aim to do even better next year!

I'm going to share a recipe for enoki mushrooms. It's one of my faves and I eat this as a main dish with soup often.

Enoki Mushrooms with Garlic & Scallion Sauce - The Woks of Life

I've also grilled the mushrooms instead of blanching. Even better.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's no way I'm going to accomplish my two fitness-related New Years resolutions (doing a pull-up and running a half marathon). But I did a Spartan Sprint, and I'm hoping to do a 10k at some point before winter.

What matters is that I'm a hell of a lot stronger than I was a year ago - and I'm still very capable of achieving those two goals, even if I don't achieve them by January 1, 2018.
I might be able to do a pull-up by the end of the year after all??

Going to really train for the rest of the month. Fingers crossed.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I might be able to do a pull-up by the end of the year after all??

Going to really train for the rest of the month. Fingers crossed.

I recommend getting a resistance band. They come in various... err... resistances, haha. Find a chart that accurately represents your level of ability, and go from there. Soon enough you will be able to do one without it, and voila!