• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vitamin B12

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does anyone have experience taking large doses of vitamin B12?

A nurse gave me an article that stated that the currently recommended dose of B12 is way too low, so I've been taking a 5000mcg methylcobalamin, dissolve under the tongue B12 pill every day for about a week and a half. What's been happening is I'm getting that feeling of pins-and-needles and numbness in my hands. I've researched online and I can't decide if this is an allergic or genetic reaction to the ingredients, or if this is my nerves waking up after a long lack of adequate B12.

I know, I know, ask my doctor. I will, but would still like to hear about others' experiences.

Kas

Fabula rasa
All I can say is that it isn't extreme dose (1mg every second day is recommended in B12deficiency anemia with neurological symptoms). And I haven't heard of overdosing it. In fact side effects are rare. But as they are in your case in form of neurological symptoms I would ask your doctor about it anyway.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I was really low and they wouldn't give me booster doses when I first started getting shots so I supplemented with pills. I've read about the symptoms you describe on message boards about b12 and it was generally concluded that those symptoms are a positive sign. I didn't experience that myself and I was taking 10 000 IU a day for a few weeks.

I've also done patches. I found that the methyl------ ones made me feel weird even though they're generally held to be the best kind. It might have been a one off thing though.

I get the shot every three weeks. Since my emotional processing has improved some, I'm finding I can stretch that out longer without feeling tired or overemotional, which is usually how I know I'm due for another shot.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I take 1000 micro grams once a week. Once a day is probably a little much. The only reason I take it is because I rarely eat animal protein.

I used to take 2000 mcg every day for over half a year. I only take it because I am vegan, so I get it from no other sources. My body absorbs it well and eventually I started feeling extremely tired all day 24/7, even when I would get an adequate amount of sleep each night. It's impossible to overdose on it, but I think if you take too much there's a chance you can feel possibly lethargic like I had. I would go see your doctor and get tested just in case. My B12 levels came out extremely high, so I had to stop taking them for a while in order to recover and this was only with 2000 mcg. I currently just take it once or twice a week now and feel fine. But yes, those symptoms you're feeling are definitely not normal.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I take 800mg since I am anemic along with iron. Nothing's bad happened to me yet. If I don't take them, I just get very lethargic and sleep prone during the day. It also depends on your diet. Do you take enough foods that are rich in these types of vitamins? Diet is everything, I find.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you all. I'll call my doctor and see if insurance will allow a check for B12 levels. Your experiences gave me some much needed data and I feel more confident about interpreting the tingling and numbness in a neutral or positive way, rather than freaking myself out over it.