• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating insects; way of the Future?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IDK.

I've yet to try it and heard it's being recommended to be adopted in my part of the world.
I am aware that certain E numbers can have gross origins but, eating insects.. They say it's done in other cultures and that we should stop being so squeamish.

They say it's an excellent protein.

I've found this.
Edible Bug Farm | Revolutionising Insect Farming

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It delivers more protein than most meat and many cultures already have insects in their diet and are much cheaper to get. Plus less carbon emissions.

Only thing though: It's disgusting

Although you can mash it up and mix it with other things and add sauces to it or just make it into pills.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It delivers more protein than most meat and many cultures already have insects in their diet and are much cheaper to get. Plus less carbon emissions.

Only thing though: It's disgusting

Although you can mash it up and mix it with other things and add sauces to it or just make it into pills.

Yeah, but, E numbers aside making for red Skittles and whatnot, you can make it into pills, but we can't live off of food supplement alone; I think, worms prepared into a patty is gross. I hear some of these can taste like walnut?.. IDK. 'Tis kinda gross.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gross personally. I don't think I'd bother with most.

Would I ever try...? Maybe... Like ants. I know if you mix them into a certain pie they're apparently real good though.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'm generally grossed by insects, but still if I was in the area where people eat them , I would like to give it a try.
Even for folklore.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think that we should start eating insects. They grow really fast, dont require large amounts of food and offer protein. It is no more gross than eating chicken or pork.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am open to a lot of things, often to my own own detriment, but I draw the line at any insect larger than an ant.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Crickets are a good source of protein - much more environmentally friendly to farm than red meat or dairy, and the amino acid profile is better than plant sources of protein e.g. soy, pea, rice etc.

It's been around for quite a while, fitness community's been experimenting with it since 2014ish - people have even used it for baking. Is Cricket Flour the New Protein Powder? - The Daily Beast

I haven't tried it because it's so fucking expensive compared to other sources of protein. Here are some commercially available cricket protein bars if anyone wants to try them: Products - Exo

Justmeonhere

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We'll sure eat it in the future but I don't know... it's kind of disgusting for me :(. I think it's because we aren't accostumed to it but as Brain in a Jar says with enough time will be as eating meat.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, but, E numbers aside making for red Skittles and whatnot, you can make it into pills, but we can't live off of food supplement alone; I think, worms prepared into a patty is gross. I hear some of these can taste like walnut?.. IDK. 'Tis kinda gross.

How is it different from what goes into polony or viennas? Meat grinder comes to mind, just add some weatbix :D

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
heart-attack.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll try most things once. I think I'd pass on an earthworm burger patty though. And anything with cockroaches as an ingredient is an instant NO for me.

With critical mass and mass starvation on the horizon, we may have no choice but to move to this model. It seems to be an economical and environmentally friendly solution. We'll get over the gross factor in a few generations. Other cultures have been doing this for ages. Our survival as a species could depend on it.

The Top Ten Edible Insects in North America - Bio Prepper

Avoid brightly colored insects, avoid stingers. If you eat stinging bugs, be aware of how to remove the venomous parts. Know the difference between centipedes and millipedes and if you can't tell the difference, better leave it be.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Not much difference between insects and crustaceans, I think people would be surprised just how much tastes good when you're hungry enough.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not much difference between insects and crustaceans, I think people would be surprised just how much tastes good when you're hungry enough.

One time as a kid my family was eating crabs and I started pointing out aloud how they were basically bugs, that we are eating giant ocean bugs, and my dad flipped the fuck out. :laugh:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I've read about roaches, they're dirty because they tend to thrive in filthy conditions. If fed on fruit and vegetables and housed in a sterile container, they can be fine for cooking. Still, EWWW.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
One time as a kid my family was eating crabs and I started pointing out aloud how they were basically bugs, that we are eating giant ocean bugs, and my dad flipped the fuck out. :laugh:

Yeah, kinda like how people can love something until they find out what it is. Good flavor is good flavor regardless what it is.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll try most things once. I think I'd pass on an earthworm burger patty though. And anything with cockroaches as an ingredient is an instant NO for me.

With critical mass and mass starvation on the horizon, we may have no choice but to move to this model. It seems to be an economical and environmentally friendly solution. We'll get over the gross factor in a few generations. Other cultures have been doing this for ages. Our survival as a species could depend on it.

The Top Ten Edible Insects in North America - Bio Prepper

Avoid brightly colored insects, avoid stingers. If you eat stinging bugs, be aware of how to remove the venomous parts. Know the difference between centipedes and millipedes and if you can't tell the difference, better leave it be.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that we should start eating insects. They grow really fast, dont require large amounts of food and offer protein. It is no more gross than eating chicken or pork.
All you really need is a good buttery sauce. :happy2: