• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Soya and lady-bits

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Apparently something in soya mimics estrogen and wreaks havoc with womans hormones.

I hope this is a load of poopie as I love and believe in soya.

Ignore the top articles, couldn't find a link for just the part I wanted. Check out the letter at the bottom from Doerge and Sheehan of the FDA, there certainly are questions, particularly as a product for infants.

Article

I think there are alarmist arguments for both sides and as the girl with all the binary numbers, 01011010 said "Moderation and balance is key".

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Ignore the top articles, couldn't find a link for just the part I wanted. Check out the letter at the bottom from Doerge and Sheehan of the FDA, there certainly are questions, particularly as a product for infants.

Article

I think there are alarmist arguments for both sides and as the girl with all the binary numbers, 01011010 said "Moderation and balance is key".

Yeah, and about every other food too. Rememeber eggs? One week you'll die if you eat more than 2 a week, next week they tell you you can eat one every day. Ahhhhhh, be still, will ya!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They can have eggs or soya or anything else they fricken well want so long as they never turn around and say red wine is bad for me *sticks corks in ears* :rolleyes:

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
hehe, or the delicious rotten cheeses that go with the wine....oh, wait...that's milk.:doh:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Shush! Mouldy cheese is totally good for me! :thelook:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always thought it was fine as long as you remove the fuzzy stuff... really good for nachos. :yes: :D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ewww :D not that kind of mouldy. Bleech!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then I can't see it being any less healthy than other cheeses a*shrug*

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
One more reason not to order the soy latte.
I already take evening primrose oil partly coz of fears about the hormones in food.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I already take evening primrose oil partly coz of fears about the hormones in food.

No, no, it's okay, read the whole post! We had a chemist here and everything.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Depends why you have soya not cow milk, if you have allergies than soya in moderation shouldn't be too much to worry about, if it's cause you believe it to be healthier go with regular milk.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
No, no, it's okay, read the whole post! We had a chemist here and everything.
:laugh: I don't actually drink enough soy milk to make this a real concern.

Depends why you have soya not cow milk, if you have allergies than soya in moderation shouldn't be too much to worry about, if it's cause you believe it to be healthier go with regular milk.
I just liked the taste. :mellow:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So you know where I'm coming from, I have looked into this in depth as I'm A. Vegetarian and B. Lactose intolerant. Soya is a product I wouldn't give an infant but as an adult I believe in moderation unfermented soya is ok. I believe the claims that it is some kind of health food product are unfounded and basically a marketing ploy but I do use it as a source of protein at times.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm with Trinity on this one. I don't buy soy every time I buy a milk alternative, but I do buy it sometimes. I don't want to load my kids up with unfermented soy but they like Silk Very Vanilla so I get it for them. Mostly they drink almond or hemp milk. Sometimes cow or goat.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Here's the nutritional value for Soy vs Milk. Not a lot of options for Soy milk, I'm afraid, so it is a little biased against it!

Data from "Composition of Foods Raw, Processed, Prepared USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 19" (2006)

Generally speaking, I would prefer soy over Dairy - but it does depend on the soy being fortified and not sweetened, and/or the milk being low/skim/etc.

I prefer the full spectrum fortified soy, certainly, over any milk. I eat cheese and yogurt for my dairy.

Last edited:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I read a 'fringe' theory that there was a conspiracy put out by [insert oppressive group A here] to put soy products in all the food in order to keep the males of [insert oppressed group B here] in a constantly under-masculine state and never able to fully mature.

I've also heard theories and conspiracies that soy is somehow related to cancer or bra cup size? :huh:

Actually, I just had a convo about this (seriously) the other day. Dairy, especially cheese, supposedly is bad for your skin and your digestive system and I said how now that I live in a vegan we drink a lot of soy milk. And the woman I spoke with (very much into alternative/holistic therapies) said it was good to switch up soy with rice milk, because soy may affect hormones.

Hey, are we gonna start talking about testosterone, soon?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Actually, I just had a convo about this (seriously) the other day. Dairy, especially cheese, supposedly is bad for your skin and your digestive system and I said how now that I live in a vegan we drink a lot of soy milk. And the woman I spoke with (very much into alternative/holistic therapies) said it was good to switch up soy with rice milk, because soy may affect hormones.

Hey, are we gonna start talking about testosterone, soon?

You live in a vegan? Is it cramped in there? :D

I figure it's easy enough to rotate rather than relying on one kind of milk. That way, if any of them are shown to kill you we won't have had too much of it. I don't think any kind of milk is necessary for health but my children do like it. Sometimes we do cow, sometimes soy, sometimes almond, hemp, or rice. I even tried hazelnut milk once. Not as good as I hoped.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Think about it this way. Every man in Japan would have breasts by now if soy were that much of a danger.
I asked this of White Raven over at INTPC one day offline. She is very against Soy and the controversy was new to me. She replied that the Japanese often consume soy that has been aged ( fermented ? ) and that this mitigates at least some of the bad effects. But here in the USA it is included as a "small print" ingredient in all kinds of stuff. I normally use "Tamari" sauce versus just generic Kikkoman or whatever, but it's a pain in the ass to have to drive way off to Whole Earth to get a bottle or two of Tamari again when I run out. There never seems to be a Whole Earth close by. :cool::steam: