• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is anorexia nervosa simply a passion?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It may be worth noting also, that there can be completely different causalities for extremely reduced eating. The dictionary definition includes two very different conditions. Firstly, a medical condition in which the person cannot eat, and secondly a perceptual distortion of self that drives the individual to excessive weight loss.

The first category is incredibly broad and is not psychological in nature at all. I would think those two categories of deserving different terminology. It is confusing to define someone who cannot eat due to a stomach issue to someone who has a severe psychology condition in which they "choose" not to eat. (I use the word "choose" broadly here and there is likely a better term).

As an anecdote to describe another type of food avoidance, I'll describe some scenarios. I have experienced relatively short-term inability to eat due to stress, lasting a couple of months at a time. This experience falls somewhat between the two above definitions because the stress itself was psychological in nature, but it wasn't about a perceptual distortion. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but more just avoiding food. At a handful of the most stressful junctures of my life, my stomach and throat would get so tight that any attempt at eating food was very unpleasant. This would tend to last a couple of months and result in weightloss of 20 pounds or so. At 5'5" my lowest weight was 92lbs, so I did look boney, but my body was always functional. It happened when I first left home at 16 to live at a christian boarding school, the summer between my bachelors and master degrees and during divorce later in life. The experience of it was like swallowing any food could trigger vomiting, although there was not an ongoing feeling of nausea. After my college graduation I also combined the struggle to eat with constant, long walks and bike rides, so unfortunately I was burning calories that way too. It was all motivated by restlessness and anxiety. The worst memory was going to a pizza joint with friends because I was lonely at the time. They were all around me eating and the pizza smelled good, but that tightness in my throat and stomach made it impossible to eat. I cried for an hour when I got home. I did eat some during that time, but would force down a piece of toast or cold fruit. It was an ongoing struggle. I'm glad for these experiences because it provides understanding of other people who may face similar feelings and worse, and I hope to be of help to others now and moreso in the future.

I show that example to introduce another type of causality for the lack of eating. I would define that process more as avoidance than passion or obsession, or even just defined as persistent pain that couldn't be avoided. It's a complex issue, but remember, there are always reasons for every behavior. Nothing happens in a vacuum and in complete randomness. Most behaviors are so strongly impacted by genetics and environment that it is likely any human could fall into the same trap if subjected to those same conditions.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No I'm going to stop you there. Anorexia has not been compared to those things! Let me clarify:

I have compared destructive behavior in the extreme with OP's use of the word "passion" as it mitigates the severity of the illness.

Just like it would mitigate those who committed such heinous acts were merely "passionate" in their endeavors.

Big difference.

While I respect your intention, I disagree. The comparison is once again apparent in your post I quoted. You aren't comparing use of the word passion, you're comparing "destructive behaviour in the extreme." Meaning the comparison is between anorexia and the things I listed above.

Saying anorexia isn't passion by saying killing, rape, etc isn't passion is a comparison between the two. I don't know how you can deny that. It would have been very easy to say anorexia isn't a passion like picking your fingernails isn't a passion, but somehow people gravitated toward crime.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Destructive behavior to the extreme"

Anorexia can lead to death (in its extreme) and destruction of one's own body. I know, my mother suffered from it during her developmental teen years and has medical issues from it to this day.

Is that the same kind of "destruction in the extreme" a murderer or rapist can exact on his victims? Hell no.

One is a mental illness that needs be treated with compassion and care. The others are crimes enacted by those who have a disregard for the sancity of life.

By putting them up against each other, I would *hope* that anyone reading would be able to differentiate those major details from either example.

This goes back to the word in the OP that IMO, makes light of something serious.

Should I have made those distinctions more clearly? Obviously, you didn't think it was clear enough, so fair enough but I'm doing that now so no further mis-intention is made. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So far in this thread, anorexia has been compared with drug dependency, terrorism, Hitler, serial killing, stalking, and molestation.

I mean, don't hold back guys, tell me how you really feel.

QLuEGDl.gif

Did you intentionally use a gif that implies bulimia or binge disorder?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did you intentionally use a gif that implies bulimia or binge disorder?

No...? Is something wrong with the gif? It's an eating popcorn gif, you know, like people post when they're watching a thread. I don't think the gif implies bulimia or binge eating, but okay. It seems pretty clearly humurous to me.

Also, I would bring that giant bag of popcorn to a movie myself. :shrug:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No...? Is something wrong with the gif? It's an eating popcorn gif, you know, like people post when they're watching a thread. I don't think the gif implies bulimia or binge eating, but okay. It seems pretty clearly humurous to me.

Also, I would bring that giant bag of popcorn to a movie myself. :shrug:

Yeah it implies binge, overeating or bulimia. ..because it's enough popcorn for ten or twenty people and the person is shoving food into his mouth. Whether you intended it or not, it's in poor taste in light of the subject matter of this thread.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah it implies binge, overeating or bulimia. ..because it's enough popcorn for ten or twenty people and the person is shoving food into his mouth. Whether you intended it or not, it's in poor taste in light of the subject matter of this thread.

I guess I should've posted a gif of someone being murdered instead. :shrug: :fpalm:

Enneagram
9w1
Passion is based on positive feedback, strict dieting and fasting could easily be based on positive feedback, but Anorexia itself is based on removing negative feelings, not chasing positive feelings.

KitchenFly

It seems to me that people suffering from the cognitive driven passion anorexia require a strong fixation upon the reasoning required and the emotional energy required to hold the single minded discipline to stay the course to reject proactive suggestion and irritating attempts to persuade.

It requires much passion (single minded focus) to dedicate the self to a primary singular focus and to manage the emotional stability to suffer and to sustain the cognitive attitudes to perpetuate the emotions and to manifest the brain chemistry needed to sustain the continuing daily statues of there own visceral experience a gut centre and hart centre dyad. The addictive habitual pattern created via attitude lead conches chose or un conches imposes.

The "single minded focus" component is the head centre's action within the fixation a goal driven passion fixated upon steadfastly stay the course.

Anorexia nervosa is a seems to me to be a gut centre lead enterprise that requires the hart centre to over view emotional equilibrium to sustain and the head centre's role is the passion required to steadfastly curtain the fixation from external persuasive influences that may end ever to change the status of the selfs enterprise.

Anorexia nervosa is an (Entropic) condition it is a proses that involves entropy. I form of creative destructiveness driven from the determination of self. This entropic form of passion (Anorexia nervosa) requires a broad frame work of understandings in order to hold view it empathically to relate to the disorder requires an ability to respectively relate to the individuals sensing feeling thinking experience, and detect the structures underpinning the order within the entropic disorder the entropic passion Anorexia nervosa.