• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Working in a modern office a death sentence on par with smoking

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I naturally get up after an hour of sitting except at school anyway (lol how do you change that on 2 hour days, randomly get up to get a tissue?), but I'll keep this in mind.

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, sitting is the new smoking.

So not only is sitting a health hazard it is also a widespread form of social control.

To control us the first thing they do in school is to get us to sit down. And in almost any institution from a government department, to a doctor's surgery, to a sporting event, they require us to sit down. And we are so well trained, we take it for granted, and do as we are told.

We are told to sit like an obedient dog, and we do, we are obedient even to the point of damaging our health.

S16M4

Permabanned
I preempted this by getting an Ergotron. Also, I will do push-ups from time to time, and weightless squats. When I get home, I'm active. Computer glasses as well. Hopefully, I don't catch the AIDS.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Standing desks, y'all! They're the best!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
in 10 years after everyone has bought standing desks they'll saying standing all day at work is as bad as smoking so then everyone will buy sitting desks. and then 10 years after that they'll say sitting all day is terrible. so conclusion do what you want. want to stand all day stand want to sit all day sit you're going to die anyways.it's so the furniture company can increase profits. just like the purse company is in cahoots with the female pants company and have them have pockets so small that they're useless so you have to buy a purse.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
in 10 years after everyone has bought standing desks they'll saying standing all day at work is as bad as smoking so then everyone will buy sitting desks. and then 10 years after that they'll say sitting all day is terrible. so conclusion do what you want. want to stand all day stand want to sit all day sit you're going to die anyways.it's so the furniture company can increase profits. just like the purse company is in cahoots with the female pants company and have them have pockets so small that they're useless so you have to buy a purse.

S16M4

Permabanned

I read that humans are the descendants of monkeys who evolved to stand efficiently? But, I understand your point. Science is flippy floppy. Speaking of flippy floppies.

Mole

Permabanned

Unfortunately this is paranoia parading as cleverness.

The facts are that sitting for too long every day produces bad health outcomes. And these facts are based on evidence and reason, these facts have been submitted to peer review journals for critique.

Just consider, mbti has never been submitted to a peer review journal for critique, and astrology has never been submitted to a peer review journal for critique in astronomy.

So mbti and astrology are sinks in which paranoia can flourish.

And caveat emptor, paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Unfortunately this is paranoia parading as cleverness.

The facts are that sitting for too long every day produces bad health outcomes. And these facts are based on evidence and reason, these facts have been submitted to peer review journals for critique.

Just consider, mbti has never been submitted to a peer review journal for critique, and astrology has never been submitted to a peer review journal for critique in astronomy.

So mbti and astrology are sinks in which paranoia can flourish.

And caveat emptor, paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.

go troll some one else

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Standing for too long in one spot is bad. Alternating between standing and sitting is good. If you're on your feet but moving around then it isn't so bad but being stationary can wear at the feet and leg joints. The one thing I really miss about my last job (manufacturing/warehouse) is I was able to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day. Now I'm at a desk all day and in many ways feel my physical well-being has deteriorated more than it did when I was doing hard manual labor. I've put on at least 20 pounds and my neck is always stiff and sore. I'm going to start using a gym after work soon.