• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is body shaming negatively impacting peoples' health

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] The Obesity Society put out that study. They advocate for the rights of overweight people. Not saying their results are wrong, but it isn't the type of journal that would publish anything saying that shaming is beneficial....I knew a guy who went on a diet because he heard that he might have to buy two plane tickets.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] The Obesity Society put out that study. They advocate for the rights of overweight people. Not saying their results are wrong, but it isn't the type of journal that would publish anything saying that shaming is beneficial....I knew a guy who went on a diet because he heard that he might have to buy two plane tickets.
Here's some more: The Science of Fat Shaming | Shape Magazine

Shaming does cause people to buy shit.
^ True. Not sure how the fashion industry (and many others) would survive without it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In order to lose weight I had to detox from years and years of shaming before I could make any progress. So no, I don't think shaming helps. Anyone who thinks it does has never been fat.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In order to lose weight I had to detox from years and years of shaming before I could make any progress. So no, I don't think shaming helps. Anyone who thinks it does has never been fat.

That must have been difficult for you. Sorry to hear that. I agree that feeling bad about oneself hurts and can cause a person to further seek comfort from food, making weight problems worse. These days though, I feel like overweight is becoming normal and the thin person gets shamed for caring about their weight. I don't know if you've seen something like this.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My daughter is thin and gets body shamed sometimes too. I don't support any kind of body shaming, regardless of the body type being shamed. I do support making positive healthy habits, even if they don't result in a change in body type.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lets all feel good about being unhealthy.
First, a reminder: You Can Be Fat and Fit — or Thin and Unhealthy | TIME.com

Second: Read the articles I linked in my previous post to see that shaming is scientifically proven to not work. You don't need to feel GOOD about being unhealthy, but you shouldn't feel actively bad about it.

If you're actually interested in seeing what motivates people to lose weight, look to what motivates people to change any kind of negative behavioral trend -- namely, a sense of comfort with the idea of the new behavior being your new lifestyle. Something you actually enjoy and can see yourself enjoying for the long haul.

I'm an obesity doctor. I've seen long-term weight loss work. Here's how. - Vox

Looking to their success stories... the one common theme is that while maintaining their losses requires ongoing effort, that effort isn't perceived by these weight loss masters as a hardship but rather as just living with new lifestyles, and lifestyles that they enjoy.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
First, a reminder: You Can Be Fat and Fit — or Thin and Unhealthy | TIME.com

Second: Read the articles I linked in my previous post to see that shaming is scientifically proven to not work. You don't need to feel GOOD about being unhealthy, but you shouldn't feel actively bad about it.

If you're actually interested in seeing what motivates people to lose weight, look to what motivates people to change any kind of negative behavioral trend -- namely, a sense of comfort with the idea of the new behavior being your new lifestyle. Something you actually enjoy and can see yourself enjoying for the long haul.

I'm an obesity doctor. I've seen long-term weight loss work. Here's how. - Vox

I think he means, like, there's people high-fiving each other for bankrupting all-you-can-eat-buffets and that sort of thing. I see lots of that.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think he means, like, there's people high-fiving each other for bankrupting all-you-can-eat-buffets and that sort of thing. I see lots of that.
I can guarantee that Disco was talking about the body positivity movement. What you're describing is something I've only seen from bro-y guys who watch "Epic Meal Time" -- many of whom aren't overweight.

Reminder, also, that 2/3 of Americans are overweight, and 1/3 are obese. I think you know as well as I that most overweight and obese people aren't "high-fiving" over all you can eat buffets. (Where do you live, that you see a lot of that? Your comment was so foreign to me that I did a double take.)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can guarantee that Disco was talking about the body positivity movement. What you're describing is something I've only seen from bro-y guys who watch "Epic Meal Time" -- many of whom aren't overweight.

Reminder, also, that 2/3 of Americans are overweight, and 1/3 are obese. I think you know as well as I that most overweight and obese people aren't "high-fiving" over what they eat.

I see people posting all the time on Facebook joking about their lousy eating habits.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see people posting all the time on Facebook joking about their lousy eating habits.
This is a very small-scale behavioral trend compared to the group of people being discussed here -- not just a limited number, but a limited set of demographics. Safe to say that it isn't even close to being a representative sample of anything except your Facebook friend group.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a very small-scale behavioral trend compared to the group of people being discussed here -- not just a limited number, but a limited set of demographics. Safe to say that it isn't even close to being a representative sample of anything except your Facebook friend group.

I didn't do a google scholar search. Just telling you about my experience. Maybe there is a study about that and the effects of it, but I'm not going to look for it.

I got to go do something else now. I enjoyed this discussion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Reminder, also, that 2/3 of Americans are overweight, and 1/3 are obese. I think you know as well as I that most overweight and obese people aren't "high-fiving" over all you can eat buffets. (Where do you live, that you see a lot of that? Your comment was so foreign to me that I did a double take.)

Mmm...I have a friend who is not only significantly overweight but had type 2 diabetes by around 35, and also has an obviously overweight daughter who hasn't even reached puberty, who posts things on Facebook like eat whatever you want, if someone tells you not to, eat them too.

I used to get into the whole fat positive thing until I realized even one of my own friends thinks like this - and that obesity not only taxes the health care system but the environment. It's a disease of entitlement in some cases (not saying always).

I think it's also ok to point out some people have eating disorders, that's not the same as body shaming.

We can talk about it in the abstract without being cruel to a person or saying terrible things to their face. We can talk about overeating being a cultural problem just as much as anorexia in Hollywood.