• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Women's Health PSA

Crabs

Permabanned
I'm sharing this video to raise awareness about women's heart disease.

Please note that crashing through ceilings may cause sudden death.

Spread the word. Save a life.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Was there a point to this thread? :p
Women's heart disease. For those interested in which male/female differences are "hard-wired", this seems to be one of them. The symptoms of heart disease have notable differences in women and men. Many women missed the signs when publicised guidance was based on research involving only male patients. Fortunately that has been corrected, and most doctors or public health groups will highlight to women patients what warning signs they should be mindful of. This National Institutes of Health page gives a summary. Most members here are probably too young to be at risk for heart disease, but may have parents, grandparents, teachers, or friends old enough to be at risk.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Women's heart disease. For those interested in which male/female differences are "hard-wired", this seems to be one of them. The symptoms of heart disease have notable differences in women and men. Many women missed the signs when publicised guidance was based on research involving only male patients. Fortunately that has been corrected, and most doctors or public health groups will highlight to women patients what warning signs they should be mindful of. This National Institutes of Health page gives a summary. Most members here are probably too young to be at risk for heart disease, but may have parents, grandparents, teachers, or friends old enough to be at risk.

Just when I had lost hope in humanity, you come along and make a post like this. A+ post.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

This is indeed a very interesting difference between men and women, but I'm almost positive OP didn't intend to address it. It was not addressed in the PSA.

Crabs

Permabanned
Was there a point to this thread? :p

The point of this thread is twofold: to raise awareness about women's heart disease; and more importantly, to ridicule the absurd way this PSA addresses the issue. After watching it for the first time, I tried to visualize the brainstorming session (Mad Men style) in which the "creative minds" behind the commercial decided this was the best way to bring attention to the problem of heart disease in women. I assume there was supposed to be some sort of metaphor about transcending boundaries, but to me, it's just a woman crashing head first into multiple ceilings then eventually succumbing to her injuries. It's such a bizarre way to get their point across. Quite frankly, it made me laugh at how silly it was.

I'd like to think that posting this video has brought awareness to women. And maybe, just maybe, they'll decide to wear a helmet before they go barging through ceilings from now on.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is indeed a very interesting difference between men and women, but I'm almost positive OP didn't intend to address it. It was not addressed in the PSA.
The final slide of the video pointed out how strongly women are impacted by heart disease. Part of the problem has been failure to recognize symptoms. My own mother went to the hospital feeling sick to her stomach, like she was getting some bad stomach bug, but she turned out to be having heart failure.

Perhaps inadvertently the OP raised a valid and important topic, and despite its preamble, that is the main point of the video. ("Women: you think you can do anything men can do. You can - including having a heart attack.") If people wish to discuss that health concern, there is space for it here.

The point of this thread is twofold: to raise awareness about women's heart disease; and more importantly, to ridicule the absurd way this PSA addresses the issue. After watching it for the first time, I tried to visualize the brainstorming session (Mad Men style) in which the "creative minds" behind the commercial decided this was the best way to bring attention to the problem of heart disease in women. I assume there was supposed to be some sort of metaphor about transcending boundaries, but to me, it's just a woman crashing head first into multiple ceilings then eventually succumbing to her injuries. It's such a bizarre way to get their point across. Quite frankly, it made me laugh at how silly it was.

I'd like to think that posting this video has brought awareness to women. And maybe, just maybe, they'll decide to wear a helmet before they go barging through ceilings from now on.
But that would mess up our hair.

Seriously, though, I wonder whether humor and even absurdity was part of the point. Sometimes these features will hold people's attention more, while they will often just tune out from a more straightforward approach. I understand that crafting PSAs gets into an entire field of psychology, communication, etc. that is outside of my expertise. What I do know is you have to keep people watching until you get to "the punchline". I know I kept watching because I had no idea where they were going to take this. So, in that respect it did its job.

Organizations that spend money making PSAs will often track the effectiveness of this or that message/campaign. I wonder whether this was done with this video, or any comparison made with more obvious and straightforward approaches.