• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Upper back pain

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why am I having it and how do I fix it?

Basically what happens is this ... for the last week or so, I've been waking up every morning with shooting pains in my upper back: right beneath my neck and in between my shoulder blades. My neck is stiff to varying degrees: some days it's ok and other days it hurts to turn/tilt it back. It's not chronic but every now and often I'll get a sharp shooting pain down my upper back that makes me wince. Pretty localized, haven't noticed it spread anywhere else. Exercise is fine but typically all I do is walk/use the elliptical.

I'm at a stage right now where I can't not read/type/use a computer (final papers are due plus this is my life now for the foreseeable future). I've tried stretches and sleeping with a pillow/without a pillow/ blah blah, no effect. I'm gonna try sleeping on the floor next to see if it helps, I guess. Ughhhh.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Maybe it's a pinched nerve? Try Tylenol and focus on proper posture of you can. I would say if it persists for a couple more days then see a doctor. Could be any number of other things too: bad mattress or pillow, etc.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was going to say pinched nerve too. A good massage can help.

gromit

likes this
a physician doctor... or a PT!

I can't diagnose you over the internet, but I sometimes do just get randomly stiff in the shoulders and use a foam roller perpendicular to my spine, gets a couple pops out and some pretty quick relief.

Like this or even a bit higher too:
Upper-Back-aka-Thoracic-Spine.jpg

Doing it this way (and doing snow angel arms very slowly) also feels really good. Stretches the pecs which often can be really tight in students in general but also in people with shoulder pain. Eases up on some of what's pulling in the back.
foam-roller-soft-lo-res.jpg

Most gyms have a couple foam rollers, eg like the one on your campus. I agree with other posters about working on posture.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have no experience with this technique, but there is an accupressure type technique called myofascial (trigger point) release that claims to relieve 95% of all back pain.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oooh. The foam roller thing looks like it would feel really good. I'm going to try that. And if it doesn't go away soon, see a doctor next week.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oooh. The foam roller thing looks like it would feel really good. I'm going to try that. And if it doesn't go away soon, see a doctor next week.

Sounds like a plan, I love that! Hope you feel better! :)

gromit

likes this
The thing with the spine is some small thing can trigger a tiny little bit of inflammation in one of the muscles or joints in that area. This often then leads to disproportionate pain compared to what set it all off in the first place. Added to this is that our body naturally sends some muscles into spasm in an attempt to protect us from over-using an injured body part. This leads to more pain and it can become a cycle, even though there's no major or severe damage underlying the pain in the first place.

This isn't the case with all neck/shoulder/back pain, but I'd say it is a good proportion of it. PTs are trained to distinguish between serious causes (they would then refer you to a surgeon or the ED or wherever is most appropriate) and simple musculoskeletal irritation of the everyday flavor. If it's the latter, then targetted stretching, strengthening and possibly some manual work will get you back to normal in no time.

The last thing I'd recommend is for a couple days to avoid sudden extreme movements of your neck as this will irritate it more. Let those tissues calm down and those pain signals start to subside for at least a day or two, and then begin gently moving your neck side to side, up and down, tilting left and right.

gromit

likes this
A couple other good ones to do gently those first couple days. And be sure not to over-do it, if it's causing pain flare-ups then back off obviously

Scapular retraction (try a set of 10, slowly, do a couple times per day)
Scapular-Retraction.jpg

Shoulde rolls (same, try a set of 10 slowly, a couple times per day)
12.jpg

gromit

likes this
Also, are there any positions you can get into that lessen or eliminate the pain?

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, are there any positions you can get into that lessen or eliminate the pain?

Yes, stretching usually helps temporarily. Pushing shoulders back and squeezing, lifting my arms over my head and holding them there for a while, camel pose from yoga feels good too. I usually feel ok when I'm moving but sitting/lying down can be painful, which is not helpful right now!!!!

EDIT: Just saw your previous post: I've been doing scapular retractions (I didn't know the name) and they definitely help.

The pain is usually worst in the morning so it's definitely got something to do with how I sleep, I think.

gromit

likes this
How do you usually lie?

As for sitting and working, do you use a laptop for your schoolwork?

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you usually lie?

As for sitting and working, do you use a laptop for your schoolwork?

I alternate between back and side sleeping and use one extra firm pillow. Me and soft pillows/mattresses do not mix well.

I've been ditching the pillow the last couple of nights and I'm not sure yet if it's working or not.

I do use a laptop and my posture is pretty bad. I periodically have to remind myself not to hunch over. I usually get up and walk around a bit every hour or so but maybe I need to increase the frequency.

gromit

likes this
Ok so sitting/working:
Laptops are HORRIBLE ergonomically. There's no way to have your head/neck and your arms/shoulders both in a good position. One or the other is gonna be putting unnecessary strain on your body. At least until your symptoms subside try to limit it to 20min at a time. Another option is if you can work on campus where the keyboard and mouse are a bit lower and the screen is more at eye level, that can help take some of the stress off of your painful areas. If you really need to use laptop, try not to have it in your lap and be hunched over it. Have it on a table and have some lumbar support like a rolled towel or small pillow.

Sleeping:
Back sleeping without a pillow is probably fine you but side-sleeping wihtout pillow can cause your neck to feel unsupported and muscles to tighten up. But that is just general principles, if you find you are better able to relax without the pillow then you should go with that.

One thing that might be useful is to stretch/go into a position of comfort for a little while before bed. Let your muscles relax, try to decrease the pain low as you can. That way you're starting the night already a bit more relaxed and hopefully that can carry over into sleep. If the muscles are tensing up (and if we're psychologically tense too), we sometimes carry that pattern into our sleep.

For both sitting and lying down: Because your neck and back are somewhat irritated right now, positions or motions that normally are fine for you but a little beyond where they "should" be (eg the ideal ergonomics) can be more irritating than they ordinarily would be.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a weak spine myself and am constantly pinching nerves, throwing my neck out, getting out of whack, pulling back muscles, getting terrible tension headaches etc. I feel your pain. It's the worst. The last time I had issues in my upper back/lower neck I recall it being particularly excruciating.

One thing that might help your sleeping is getting a memory foam pillow to support your neck.
Also stand in the shower with as hot as you're comfortable and let it beat on the spot in your back that ails. That always feels good.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a weak spine myself and am constantly pinching nerves, throwing my neck out, getting out of whack, pulling back muscles, getting terrible tension headaches etc. I feel your pain. It's the worst. The last time I had issues in my upper back/lower neck I recall it being particularly excruciating.

One thing that might help your sleeping is getting a memory foam pillow to support your neck.
Also stand in the shower with as hot as you're comfortable and let it beat on the spot in your back that ails. That always feels good.

I've been using a memory foam pillow. It made things better for a while but now it's making things worse. I can't buy $50 pillows every two months though ... Hot showers do help and I like my water scalding hot anyway. I'm thinking about using hot compresses too.

I bought a foam roller on Amazon, it'll get here in a couple of days. Excited about trying that.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been using a memory foam pillow. It made things better for a while but now it's making things worse. I can't buy $50 pillows every two months though ... Hot showers do help and I like my water scalding hot anyway. I'm thinking about using hot compresses too.

I bought a foam roller on Amazon, it'll get here in a couple of days. Excited about trying that.

Honestly I think this might help.... also... see an osteopath with the money you save on pillows. I have had a great deal of upper back pain and neck pain too.... irritable facet syndrome (aka we don't know whats causing this but it's clear something isn't right).

A trip to an osteopath has always done wonders for me as they will manipulate bone and tissue using deep tissue massage ... You might need more than one session but it really really will be worthwhile. Make sure it's an osteopath you feel right with-ask to see/speak with them before booking. I have been to four or five and only two I really gelled with. As with many things finding the right person has a lot to do with the potential benefits... someone more in tune with you will be more in tune with your body.

Being pain free will be so beneficial to your attention on your finales....
:hug:

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a bit of a TMJ issue, and at times it was causing me neck pain. So I started standing on my head once or twice a day for about a minute and that solved the problem. Still do it, and my neck and upper back are great.

I also do some weightlifting. But doing headstands in particular really cleared up any neck and upper back tenseness/soreness.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a bit of a TMJ issue, and at times it was causing me neck pain. So I started standing on my head once or twice a day for about a minute and that solved the problem. Still do it, and my neck and upper back are great.

I also do some weightlifting. But doing headstands in particular really cleared up any neck and upper back tenseness/soreness.

Oh wow, I'm nowhere near fit/flexible enough to do headstands, haha. Kudos to you for that.