• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Upper back pain

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
a physician doctor... or a PT!

I can't diagnose you over the internet, but I sometimes do just get randomly stiff in the shoulders and use a foam roller perpendicular to my spine, gets a couple pops out and some pretty quick relief.

Like this or even a bit higher too:
Upper-Back-aka-Thoracic-Spine.jpg

Doing it this way (and doing snow angel arms very slowly) also feels really good. Stretches the pecs which often can be really tight in students in general but also in people with shoulder pain. Eases up on some of what's pulling in the back.
foam-roller-soft-lo-res.jpg

Most gyms have a couple foam rollers, eg like the one on your campus. I agree with other posters about working on posture.

This. I can't even express what a lifesaver a foam roller is. I use it on my outer thigh but it's great for your back too. I've ended up getting a few different ones for different spots.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no experience with this technique, but there is an accupressure type technique called myofascial (trigger point) release that claims to relieve 95% of all back pain.

I'm a big believer in using a lacrosse ball (although I usually do so on the floor, since it's easier to maintain pressure with the lacrosse ball between you and the floor) as that video demonstrates. It can be fairly painful, but it seems to work consistently when other techniques don't. I also use a foam roller, but find it's difficult to use it to get at some parts of the back.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've looked up the charges for myofascial release therapists; it's typically $100/hour. If the foam rollers don't work, you may want to give this a shot.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oooh. The foam roller thing looks like it would feel really good. I'm going to try that. And if it doesn't go away soon, see a doctor next week.

I have one and use it for my lower and upper back pain. It's wonderful. Get it even if you don't have pain, so handy to have around.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A couple other good ones to do gently those first couple days. And be sure not to over-do it, if it's causing pain flare-ups then back off obviously

Scapular retraction (try a set of 10, slowly, do a couple times per day)
Scapular-Retraction.jpg

Shoulde rolls (same, try a set of 10 slowly, a couple times per day)
12.jpg

These^ are what I was told to do after tearing my trapezius (same area) several yrs ago.

Initially, I didn't think they'd do much, but with consistency, they helped a LOT.
Doing them right after a shower is great. And the scapular retractions are good to do anywhere (traffic light when you're in the car, periodically at your desk)

[MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION]
Take 2-4 200 mg ibuprofen tablets w/food every 8 hrs for a few days straight, too, maybe, to bring down some of the inflammation.
You can also safely take Tylenol in conjunction with it (processed differently in the body than NSAIDs) to curb the pain if it's particularly bad, but the ibuprofen or naproxen is more essential due to its anti-inflammatory properties. You can take 2 500 mg Tylenol tablets every 6 hrs.

The OTC analgesic recommendation above is only under the assumption you're not on any prescribed medications that could interact with them.

Feel better, lady <3

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to update. The foam roller was basically like magic and my pain is all gone. :D

gromit

likes this
I forgot to update. The foam roller was basically like magic and my pain is all gone. :D

Great to hear!

Just make sure you do exercises to move spine in different directions (yoga counts), please do exercises, don't just become addicted to the foam roller.

:)

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great to hear!

Just make sure you do exercises to move spine in different directions (yoga counts), please do exercises, don't just become addicted to the foam roller.

:)

Yeah I bought a yoga mat a couple of days ago on Amazon and once it gets here I'm gonna resume

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why am I having it and how do I fix it?

Basically what happens is this ... for the last week or so, I've been waking up every morning with shooting pains in my upper back: right beneath my neck and in between my shoulder blades. My neck is stiff to varying degrees: some days it's ok and other days it hurts to turn/tilt it back. It's not chronic but every now and often I'll get a sharp shooting pain down my upper back that makes me wince. Pretty localized, haven't noticed it spread anywhere else. Exercise is fine but typically all I do is walk/use the elliptical.

I'm at a stage right now where I can't not read/type/use a computer (final papers are due plus this is my life now for the foreseeable future). I've tried stretches and sleeping with a pillow/without a pillow/ blah blah, no effect. I'm gonna try sleeping on the floor next to see if it helps, I guess. Ughhhh.

Could be computer use. If that's it, a few things:
1. Get one of those things that raises the laptop screen and has a separate keyboard
2. Get a good ergonomic chair
3. Watch your posture
4. Stretching your back muscles, including ones between the shoulder blades

Once the pain has subsided, I'm a fan of upper body strength exercises three times a week