• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2016 Healthy Habits Thread

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've started to resume my old diet of vegetables and Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice frozen entrees for meals. It is hard. I had a Healthy Choice for lunch and it felt like a snack, like it would take two more of those suckers to get close to being full. This will take some getting used to.

If I stick with this for a month, I could lose 10 lbs. I'd still have 10 lbs more to go before I could be happy at all, but that would put me closer to where I want to be.

And when I achieve my goal, it will be a demonstration of my greatness. I will be doing a service to everyone around me by inspiring them to take better care of themselves.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edit: [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] what are the exercise videos you like, and are they on YouTube? If this is too much of a derail, feel free to VM or PM me.
I have been using the Jillian Michaels ones: 30-day shred, and ripped in 30. I like the first set better. I only started using these, though, because I can't get to an in-person aerobics class. That has always been my first choice in fitness activity, just from the perspective of staying fit and keeping weight off. I have been really bad about this over the past year, though, and need to get back into a good routine myself.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Question for folks who do a lot of that kind of training -- type 1 muscles, I think? -- what do you all do to balance that out? Probably weight-lifting? I've tried weight-lifting and general bodyweight stuff, but find it both overwhelming and boring. At least with running, I just get going (slowly, then faster, then slower again to cool down, then stretching), and with yoga I just show up to class, or do one of the classes on my app. My other options all seem more high-maintenance and less accommodating to the uninitiated.

Edit: [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] what are the exercise videos you like, and are they on YouTube? If this is too much of a derail, feel free to VM or PM me.

:) Of course this is appropriate here, it's a discussion afterall!

My favorite videos are from these guys on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBettyRocker She does fast 15-20 minute work outs, which are perfect for the "I don't feel like working out" days. It's just enough to get warm, and moving, but over quick enough to push yourself.. Tabata style (4 minutes of intense training) is becoming more popular for a reason, people tend to hold themselves back on longer endurance work outs because they think they won't make it to the end if they burn out halfway through. Tabata gives you flexibility to really go at it with everything you have.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender These guys are my favorite. I go back to them time-and-time again. They're positive, their messages are evidence-based, and they always show alternatives and they have a wiiide variety from stretching only to 1 1/2 hour long sessions. The stretching videos are some of the best non-yoga stretching I've seen on youtube, and they have programs you can auto-set up on their website for less than $10 to have forever. They literally just arrange their free work out videos on youtube into a system, it's really worth the money.

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene I don't like everything this girl does, but her 30 days of yoga for beginners is as close as I can tolerate for yoga. She doesn't get too preachy about it.

Non-youtube videos that I like: P90X series I still very much so enjoy and I plan on doing a 60 day round of it during the summer. The 30 day shred from Jillian Michaels is pretty good actually, and I would still work out to it today if I had it (but a few of them are available for free from BeFit channel on youtube!)

I still don't have much resources as far as stretching goes, I'm trying to piece together a playlist that makes sense and doesn't take an hour of talking to do a few minutes of stretching.

Just found this thread- as usual you're awesome at this kind of positive motivational crap kyuuei! Love the idea to make it about positive habits. Short term challenges and very prescriptive methods do less and less for me as time goes by.

My first goal for the new year was to update all my doctor visits and such.

Yeaaah this month is the dentist for me @_@ I procrastinated because I recently saw the dentist way too often at the VA getting my jaw protector made.

I had a mechanical toothbrush and I really liked it. There really is a difference between the $6 Colgate mechanical vibrating ones and an actual spinning, cleaning one, but I think you can find a mid-range price there or an older-model sonicare for cheap if you dig around a bit (especially since the heads are replaceable, you can probably find one for nothing and just clean it and buy a new head.). One thing I didn't like about spinning brushes is that sometimes I found they 'caught' my tongue and gave it a little pinch or zap-like feeling, so I got really paranoid about that when brushing.

Right now I'm using these: Amazon.com : abcOralCare, New Generation US Patented, Non Nylon, Tapered, Soft, and Ultra Fine Bristles - Yorum 5 Manual Toothbrushes. : Childrens Toothbrushes : Beauty

And really I think they're perfect, because they foster the healthy habit. They don't have the scrubby-power of a normal toothbrush (they're much much softer) so if you mess up and go to bed eating chocolate without brushing, you'll wake up with a lot longer brush time to get your teeth feeling shiny again. Also, the softness of it helps promote not damaging your teeth and gums by scrubbing too hard, they'll just flail everywhere vs scrubbing, so you really have to stay the course and brush softly and in little circles to get them to work, which is everything dentists want. They're the really, really cheap manual version of an electric toothbrush.

But electrics are worth the money if you're not ready/willing to sit through that pain in the ass. My tooth routine has been pretty cheap and perfect for me the past year, lots of dentist compliments overall. (Equate brand pre-brush rinse, a sensitivity toothpaste + those toothbrushes, flossers, and equate brand whitening rinse since it has hydrogen peroxide in it)

The BP is good! :D Great job on that! I'd highly recommend keeping a small journal of just.. how you feel before you go off of it, and how you feel during being off of it.. so you can look back overall at your mood and performance. Antidepressants can have some nasty side effects when used very long term, and it might be a good idea to keep it in mind in cases of stress cropping up unexpectedly, but if you find you can actually keep improving and moving forward without it it'd be a great success. ^_^b

Apnea - Losing weight can help, but sometimes once you have it you have it. :shrug: you either need to lose so much weight that you're under the 160-70 mark, or just get a CPAP can call it a day. CPAPs make life a loooottttt better. My dad refused his for like a year.. he HAD it and was like "Nah, those masks suck I hate it".. Slept with it for one week straight because he promised me, and now he won't go anywhere even one night without it. The difference it makes getting a full night's rest was night and day for him.

I had been vaguely aiming for "enough protein" and "enough fruits and veggies" but I was getting stuck on what's enough. So I used the USDA's Healthy Eating Index to figure out what good levels of those things would be for me at my calorie goals.

:yes: I'm not sure exactly either.. I eat a ton of protein in general because I grew up eating meat or at least eggs with every single meal.. My body took a lot longer than I expected it to to recover from my adventures into vegetarian-vegan-ish territory. I thought it'd be super healthy and give my body a boost. :laugh: What a suuuucker! The USDA amounts are probably adequate with wiggle room one way or the other too. It sounds like your dietary goals are pretty sound.

I joined a different, cheaper gym (Planet Fitness). Unfortunately it's further away, but actually quite close to my weekly therapy/dietician appointments, so I can get there pretty easily. And they have these awesome water massage tables, so I tell myself if I get myself in the door I can sign up for a turn on one of those both before and after I do something active. Typically I do 2 hours of slow-paced walking while I work on my laptop, or cycling and working if my foot is giving me trouble which it has been doing lately, not sure what that's about. I've been doing that twice a week, but I want to add another day to help with the weaning off my antidepressant.

I've read a lot of nasty stuff about PF and canceling so I'd Bolo that if you decide to switch again, but I mostly hear happy things from people who are active members. The water tables sound aaamazzziiing. One thing I miss from Texas is having my massage therapy trained mother around all the time. :cry: "moooommmm my shoulder hurts... Aahhhh...yeeaaaaahhh.. I'll repay you with a kiss and hug." :doh: :laugh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
55214754.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Question for folks who do a lot of that kind of training -- type 1 muscles, I think? -- what do you all do to balance that out? Probably weight-lifting? I've tried weight-lifting and general bodyweight stuff, but find it both overwhelming and boring. At least with running, I just get going (slowly, then faster, then slower again to cool down, then stretching), and with yoga I just show up to class, or do one of the classes on my app. My other options all seem more high-maintenance and less accommodating to the uninitiated.

Just found this thread- as usual you're awesome at this kind of positive motivational crap kyuuei! Love the idea to make it about positive habits. Short term challenges and very prescriptive methods do less and less for me as time goes by.

My first goal for the new year was to update all my doctor visits and such.

• Got a teeth cleaning and was told to buy a Sonicare (anybody tried it? not sure I want to pay that much for a toothbrush.)
  • Went to the doctor to get my annual bloodwork done and I am once again grateful for relative good health.
    • My cholesterol levels are all at the "optimal/ideal" range again, and certainly not because I avoid eating cholesterol. Probably not because of anything else I did either so I'm not bragging, but I was pleased.
    • BP was 116/65, and we talked about taking me off one of my BP meds if I lose any more weight. (Most likely the Prinzide- the other one is a beta blocker that is also for my arrythmia so I may be on that one long-term.)
    • We also talked about weaning off my antidepressant, which I'm going to do a trial of. She said exercise would help make the difference so I'm adding a day to my routine to try to head off any side effects and offset the lack of an SSRI, which has been immensely helpful but I don't want to be on it forever. (It'll always be in my back pocket as a tool I can use, though.)
  • Made an appointment with the cardiologist to check up on my arrhythmia. Will update when I've been.
  • Made an appointment with the neurologist to repeat my sleep study to see if I need a CPAP. I went two years ago and found out I had mild apnea, then lost my insurance so I wasn't able to follow up. I hoped losing weight would do the trick but according to people who sleep near me, it hasn't. Will update when I've been to that, too.

I had been vaguely aiming for "enough protein" and "enough fruits and veggies" but I was getting stuck on what's enough. So I used the USDA's Healthy Eating Index to figure out what good levels of those things would be for me at my calorie goals.

What to try to get:
  • Fruit- at least 2 cups a day, at least 1 cup of which is whole fruit, not juice (not hard for me since I don't drink juice)
  • Vegetables- at least 2.5 cups a day, 1/2 cup of which is greens/beans/peas
  • Whole grains- 3 oz a day (I don't sweat this, I just choose whole grains whenever I feel like it when I do eat grains, which I don't much, since I like other foods more)
  • Dairy- 3 servings a day (typically I do gravitate towards having 1 serving each of yogurt, milk, and cheese)
  • Protein- at least 5 oz a day, 2 oz of which is seafood or plant protein (plus the protein in the dairy, turns out to meet my needs pretty well)
  • Fatty Acids- (PUFA + MUFA)/SFA greater than or equal to 2.5 (going to have to work on how to figure this a bit, or decide to buy healthy oils and let the levels wash out on their own)

What to eat in moderation:
  • Refined grains- under 3 oz a day
  • Sodium- under 2.5 g a day
  • Empty Calories (solid fats, alcohol, added sugars)- under 20% total diet
  • Alcohol- under 26 g a day

Again, these are not hard & fast rules, I just used the tool to measure how well I was doing naturally by eating what I feel like eating (pretty well, actually) and to figure out what to aim for in terms of what TO eat, and beyond that I don't worry too much about what NOT TO eat.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/healthy_eating_index/CNPPFactSheetNo2.pdf

Hahaha meee tooooo I'd rather lift weight all day than run or jump around.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How do you keep it from being boring??

Well, I'll always be boring. ;) Hahahha. jk jk. How do I change it up and keep from getting into a rut of meh? A few ways.

- I find winter running dismal at best, so I do less cardio in the winter time. Biologically speaking this seems pretty okay, my body usually bounces back pretty well come spring, and I counter act it with a bit more stretching. This year being the exceptional, weird one, this works out alright. I used to swim in the winter, back when I had access to a heated pool, and I really liked that. Kind of wish I had access to one still... but unwilling to spend $50 a month for access to swimming. It seems pretty outrageous to me.
- I do challenges. Having lots of short term goals is sort of exciting, and the rewards come quickly. 5 day challenges, 30 day challenges, even challenges within challenges.. like, this time, I'm going to do 10 push ups without stopping before the time runs out, or this time I'm going to try the harder version for one round... This is probably the best thing I do to combat boredom.
- Sometimes I do new things altogether. I started running with a hashing group here, and that seems pretty fun. Or I go hiking or something equally as unusual for this usual-indoor-exerciser.
- Sometimes I find new equipment to try or use. Like a yoga block I got for $1, which made me super happy that I could try new poses and moves that were pretty difficult for me without one (I was using a milk jug haha) so I started yoga videos again.
- Music helps. A lot. When I'm stretching sometimes I'll listen to a pod cast.

To an extent, all exercise is a version of the same thing.. running, dancing, jumping, swimming, it's all cardio. Lifting weights, body wight style, obstacle courses, it's all weight lifting. Yoga, isometric, dynamic, all stretching. I think if you're getting bored with it, you really need to focus on what you're doing there and why it's boring to you... because, truth, sometimes it's just boring because your brain hates change and until a habit is muscle memory (which takes a few years of doing consistently) your brain comes up with all kinds of excuses to hate any change. Boredom is a natural justification for your brain to turn down exercise. So... some of it is just simply stop being a wussy, shake it off, and do it. It's why I like work out videos. There is a set timer, and I know that even if that stretching video is the most boring thing on the planet to me (It is. They all are. Yoga numbs my mind to a level where I feel like watching paint dry has serious merit.) at least that timer is counting down and I just have to keep the course and get to the end of the timer. Sometimes that's all I can do. and that's okay with me. Because... sometimes after that, I'm like "Hey! I didn't give up and I feel awesome now!" and then it doesn't feel so lame the next time I go to tackle it. So when there's only 2 damn minutes left, and I'm in corpse pose trying to desperately not check out and say, "THATS GOOD ENOUGH SHIIIIIIITTTT" I just remind myself that stretching is a new beast for me that I really need to get used to and do EVERY time to the end.. because my hips need to function a lot longer than they currently are threatening.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Snowpocalypse is my favorite. Yesterday, we all bundled up and walked to the nearest Ingress portal and back (1.3km each way, not far but the snow made it a good workout and it took an hour) so I could keep my Sojourner badge going. I have to hack a portal at least once in every 24hr period to keep that badge going- I'm at 220 days now, and it tops out at 360. Didn't want to break my streak.

Today my husband had to go out to get cigarettes and coffee (he has an appointment next week to talk to our doctor about smoking cessation, but we both thought being stuck at home with a nicotine fiend would make Snowpocalypse really suck for the rest of us) so he took me to hack the portal in the van. So my exercise today will be kicking snow at the dogs and laughing at them for an hour.

hipsterpeterpan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My list of goals for the year includes:

• reading at least one novel every month (I have a really hard time reading, for some reason)
  • get a good job that gives me a sense of purpose, and move out (either on my own or with a friend)
  • start eating actual lunches instead of junk food throughout the middle of the day
  • learn web design/development (and other topics that interest me)
  • finish writing my novel (or at least get a first draft done)

I think there's more, but I don't have the list in front of me right now. xD

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I miss milk sooo much! Damn you snowmageddon! :cry:

Our house is FREEZING. We went hiking down our drive way to investigate the feasibility of getting out and going sledding with friends... No way. 1/4 mile of 10 inches of snow, and then the roads are not plowed with zero salt and a layer of thick ice under the powder. We really are trapped at the house until the roads are plowed and salted accordingly. We can eventually dig out the driveway with a lot of back breaking work, but we'll never get down the hills without the city getting involved.

Tomorrow I hope enough snow melts that we can build a snow man... it was too fluffy and powdery today, but I did make an awesome snow angel. And walking in snow is like walking in water, it kicked my ass on the hills. :laugh: Soups, salads, and probably eggs and bacon later on tonight to eat. I cannot express enough ways how much I want to drink milk.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've started to resume my old diet of vegetables and Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice frozen entrees for meals. It is hard. I had a Healthy Choice for lunch and it felt like a snack, like it would take two more of those suckers to get close to being full. This will take some getting used to.

If I stick with this for a month, I could lose 10 lbs. I'd still have 10 lbs more to go before I could be happy at all, but that would put me closer to where I want to be.

And when I achieve my goal, it will be a demonstration of my greatness. I will be doing a service to everyone around me by inspiring them to take better care of themselves.

-_-;; it just inspires me to eat until I'm satisfied. Most of those healthy choice meals are like 200-300 calories.. hardly a meal.. It feels like you need two because you probably do.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm so obsessed with this app.

https://habitica.com

It's already making it so much easier to follow through on the good habits I've been meaning to instill. Making my bed every morning, tidying a little bit every day so nothing piles up, practicing mandolin... plus, I've joined a party and when we're past level 10 (or whatever it is) we can start going on quests and fighting monsters!

Also, I've bookmarked the sites that [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] recommended and am planning on easing into them. Maybe once my body has gotten used to exercising more than twice a week, I can try one of those 30-day challenges.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's already making it so much easier to follow through on the good habits I've been meaning to instill. Making my bed every morning, tidying a little bit every day so nothing piles up, practicing mandolin... plus, I've joined a party and when we're past level 10 (or whatever it is) we can start going on quests and fighting monsters!

Also, I've bookmarked the sites that [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] recommended and am planning on easing into them. Maybe once my body has gotten used to exercising more than twice a week, I can try one of those 30-day challenges.

OMG. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

It's like a personal Trello board...with dragons.

EJ--I, I love you. :wubbie:

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That's a really useful site. I just put put stuff in that I want to do... I guess that's what you do when you make lists. Thanks for showing an INFP the power of lists! Still not sure what to make of the "habits" part though.

n5pwnk.jpg

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I downloaded that Habitica thing too. Who wants to form a party with me?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Going to try to do a whole 180 on my diet and focus on things that wont give me diabetes. Went shopping and could start my own whole foods with all the more natural ingredients i bought

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm trying to start a party- whoever wants to be in it, send me your email address in a PM and I'll invite you!

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i am going to change* my diet. it is now clear to me that even though i'm doing better than before, i'm still not consuming enough calories regularly which is the most likely culprit for my unstable energy levels. i will need to start pre-preparing meals as well as buying whole milk/dairy products even if i prefer the taste of skim.

i really like this list of different trail mixes. i think they will suit my needs nicely.