• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cranberry Sauce: Why Don't We Eat More Of It?

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like anything to do with nutrition and learning the benefits of how different foods can impact our body and health. With that said, why don't we eat more cranberry sauce? We eat applesauce, jam/jelly on toast, and many other forms of mashed fruits, but why does it seem like cranberry sauce is limited only to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner each year?

I've started making my own cranberry sauce (it's quick and easy) recently, and after reading about some of the health benefits of cranberries (i.e., source of iodine, prevents and may even treat early UTI's, etc.), I'm surprised that it isn't sold in stores in the same fashion applesauce is. I can find the less-than-tasty canned cranberry sauce, which is most likely that gelatin texture (not sure because I haven't bought the canned type), but not in little packaged cups like applesauce and other fruits. I don't even buy applesauce or eat many apples anymore since I read an article about the amount of arsenic they contain, though I can't prove that cranberries don't have it either.

Is it because cranberries and cranberry sauce is perceived to taste bad by most? There are so many recipes to resolve that issue without making it unhealthy. . .blending other fruit with it (raspberries, blueberries, etc.), adding orange juice and/or even raisins if the person likes them. In a way, I prefer to make my own of most of those sauces because I can know exactly what ingredients are in my food and I can also avoid preservatives. I don't know, I think it's a healthy option that isn't getting the amount of attention it needs. Cranberry juice in many ways is a joke to buy because of the preservatives and the amount of added sugar. The pure cranberry juice is expensive for a small bottle. . .much cheaper to just buy a bag of frozen cranberries and make my own sauce at that point.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Even if you use orange juice, it still has a ton of sugar. Juice is basically liquid sugar. plus the fiber gets cooked out of the cranberries. It's basically like eating jam. You can get the nutrients a lot of other ways, namely eating other berries whole or taking a cranberry supplement.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Really? Even if it's for a few minutes over low heat? :( I eat other fruit too, usually frozen mixed berries or cherries.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
For me any kind of jam, jelly or sauce is a condiment, not a staple. I don't really eat them that often because they're usually cooked and I like my fruits raw.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Usually it isn't that easy to find in stores outside of thanksgiving time for me, and that's a barrier. I do stick the whole berries into cooked oats when they're almost finished. The truth is cranberries are very tart, so usually people eat a less-than-healthy amount of sugar to make up for that tartness. I've made some really amazing cranberry sauces for thanksgivings, but to be honest none of them are what I'd consider healthy. It's the broccoli-cheese dilemma of holiday foods.

But cranberries are cranberries, their nutrients are going to be in whatever you stick them in. So yeah, a bit of cranberry sauce on some meat will give you a bit of cranberry stuff--but mostly flavor moreso than nutrients. A cranberry supplement is probably easier, but who wants to take even more pills? :sick: I usually just drink it when I get the juice cheap, in mixed drinks and mocktails, or when I think I'm getting a UTI (along with like a bazillion liters of water).

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it's pretty delicious, should be more popular year round. there's some sandwich places that make like "thanksgiving leftover" style sammies with turkey and cranberry sauce.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] That's true, they're very tart. I'm trying to get some ideas of what to add the whole berries to and would like to figure out how to increase them in my diet. Maybe I can combine them with other berries that are sweeter. It was interesting because I was reading about how they're a good anti-inflammatory and are also being studied for cancer prevention (breast, colon, prostate, etc.).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] That's true, they're very tart. I'm trying to get some ideas of what to add the whole berries to and would like to figure out how to increase them in my diet. Maybe I can combine them with other berries that are sweeter. It was interesting because I was reading about how they're a good anti-inflammatory and are also being studied for cancer prevention (breast, colon, prostate, etc.).

Oatmeal is my favorite by far. The light sweetness from it, and the mellow grains disperse the tartness of it, but you still bite into bits of oomph from the berries themselves. You could always get the juice concentrate and dilute it in water/tea. Really I don't much use them any other way... I guess as a salad additive (sometimes I roast them with oil, thyme, and a bit of sugar 450' for 20 minutes) I used to do that. I think one year I stuck some sugar and cranberries cooked down into butter to use as a spread and remember that not being bad.

:shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why don't more people eat cranberry sauce?

I can find the less-than-tasty canned cranberry sauce, which is most likely that gelatin texture (not sure because I haven't bought the canned type),
Because it is so often presented in this jiggling, gelatinous form. Yuck. Just yuck. Still, I prefer my cranberries in baked goods, or dried in salads or rice dishes.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oatmeal is my favorite by far. The light sweetness from it, and the mellow grains disperse the tartness of it, but you still bite into bits of oomph from the berries themselves. You could always get the juice concentrate and dilute it in water/tea. Really I don't much use them any other way... I guess as a salad additive (sometimes I roast them with oil, thyme, and a bit of sugar 450' for 20 minutes) I used to do that. I think one year I stuck some sugar and cranberries cooked down into butter to use as a spread and remember that not being bad.

:shrug:

That's a great idea! I'll have to try it! Thank you :) :)

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why don't more people eat cranberry sauce?

Because it is so often presented in this jiggling, gelatinous form. Yuck. Just yuck. Still, I prefer my cranberries in baked goods, or dried in salads or rice dishes.

That's true. . .and that's exactly what kept me from trying it for many years until I made some myself. For some reason, the canned, gelatin form reminds me of beets. Yuck :D

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Trader Joe's cranberry orange relish. I think it's just a seasonal thing that you can only find around November and December. But I'm sure it would be easy to make your own.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I like Trader Joe's cranberry orange relish. I think it's just a seasonal thing that you can only find around November and December. But I'm sure it would be easy to make your own.

I agree, that is really good. I like Crasins - the dried cranberries. They still have sugar because cranberries are so tart on their own. I make raspberry cranberry relish at Thanksgiving. I've even used it like a jam. It's got a great zip from fresh ginger and the mint adds another taste element I like. It's still got sugar but I think the addition of the Chambord cuts the need for as much sugar in this recipe.

Raspberry Cranberry Sauce - A Spicy Perspective

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'll use whatever condiments I like with any meal. I'm not one for only having certain condiments with certain meals, meats etc. For some people, that's thinking outside the box too much. Cranberry sauce is nice but I don't have any right now.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I put dried cranberries in my oatmeal, which I cook in a rice cooker. The cranberries go in with the oats, then it all cooks together and they bloat up several times their size. They remind me of something physiological, because of their color, like giant blood cells.

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I put dried cranberries in my oatmeal, which I cook in a rice cooker. The cranberries go in with the oats, then it all cooks together and they bloat up several times their size. They remind me of something physiological, because of their color, like giant blood cells.

I never thought of cooking oatmeal in a rice cooker! That's a great idea that I'll have to try!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a Trader Joe's near me yet, but one is being built that should be finished next year sometime, if not later this year. I want to try that orange relish!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I never thought of cooking oatmeal in a rice cooker! That's a great idea that I'll have to try!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a Trader Joe's near me yet, but one is being built that should be finished next year sometime, if not later this year. I want to try that orange relish!

I don't buy too much in the way of prepared foods but the TJ's cranberry sauce reminded me that they carry a turkey pot pie at Thanksgiving. It's delicious, I get a few and hide them in the back of the fridge.

turkey-pot-pie.jpg

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I remember when I was in the UK for a bit in the late 2000s in July it was fairly easy to find a lot of food with cranberry sauce, or at least a meat with jam.

If you're looking for legitimate cranberry juice, I would read the ingredients first. There are a lot of brands who do make 100% cranberry juice. If you're looking for maximum health benefits, the cranberry pills aren't bad. Just drink a lot of water.

I tried this juice and made the mistake of not diluting it. It's powerful stuff and even says to dilute it on the label, but damn do you feel better drinking it.
Lakewood Juices | 100% Pure Organic and Premium Juices

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Do you like your steak rare?