• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Myth or reality? PMS and Mood Swings

Do you think PMS is a real phenomenon?

• Yes, including directly affecting mood and emotions

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Yes, but does not directly affect mood and emotions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Opinion

• No, PMS, in its entirety is a myth

• Total voters

Qre:us

A review of studies on PMS was conducted a few years ago, and the conclusion may be surprising: There is no clear link between women’s negative moods and the pre-menstrual phase of their cycles.

PMS may not exist, research shows | U of T News

This goes against one of the most popular beliefs surrounding women's emotional state during (and before) menstruation.

Your thoughts?

There's a nifty poll above!!

My personal stance: While I do agree with medical and physical symptoms of PMS, such as breast tenderness, cramps, feelings of bloating, even, diarrhea for some, I don't think we become irrational beings once a month, who are ruled by our emotions because of PMS. Do I get moody during that time? It depends.......on how bad my physical symptoms are. Feeling like Freddy Kruger is scraping at my uterus from the inside out, aka, cramps, does not make me feel like rainbows and sunshine. I get cranky, and irritable, and want to just take pain meds and curl up and away from the world, when a certain month, the pain gets really bad. Other (most) months, when there are no physical ailments, I'm going on as I normally would, and my mood is the same as it would be any other day.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that I only get mood-related PMS symptoms when I'm on hormonal birth control. I get worse cramps when I'm not on it though. :shrug:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Unfortunately I would have to disagree. I would say I'm affected, slightly, but its still there...:ack!::thumbdown::scream:

Just the other day my eyes started to water during a normal conversation, its like your emotions arent yours for a couple of days.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My moods can shift noticeably when my hormone levels drop too much.
(I can get cranky, shaky, teary, paranoid, etc.)

Qre:us

My moods can shift noticeably when my hormone levels drop too much.
(I can get cranky, shaky, teary, paranoid, etc.)

I agree. Hormones will affect mood. There's a biological explanation to that. However, all studies done on women with PMS, have shown that their "circulation level of hormones" are normal, during. But that the signal from the hormones can be affecting the mood.

Here's a link:

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Causes - eMedicineHealth

PMS and PMDD are thought to result from an interaction between the changing sex hormone levels during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and neurotransmitters in the brain, particularly the neurotransmitter serotonin, in susceptible women. While hormone levels are generally normal in women with PMS, the individual's response to the hormones and their changing levels may be different or abnormal.

Hormonal cycling affects the level of serotonin, a brain chemical that regulates many functions, including mood and sensitivity to pain. Compared to women who do not have PMS, some women who experience PMS have lower levels of serotonin in their brains prior to their periods. (Low serotonin levels are commonly associated with depression. Popular selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant medicines such as fluoxetine [Prozac], sertraline [Zoloft], and paroxetine [Paxil] lift depression by raising levels of serotonin in parts of the brain.)

EDIT, to add: clarification

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know about my hormone levels, but my cramps can be painful enough to make me very cranky indeed.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That's generally how I know I have PMS, my emotions. My anxiety is worse, I'm mopier, and generally have less energy. When I've gone off an SSRI I have full on melt downs and end up in tears over almost nothing. Pregnancy is going to be absolutely awful for me.