• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vasectomy

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So I was thinking about getting a vasectomy.

I know I'm quite young and still a virgin (which fortunately won't change as far as I can see) but I plan on never having children because there are far too many children around as it is. This isn't entirely to do with population issues it's also a personal dislike; I hate kids.

I really hate parents too, super duper hate. I see mothers who bring their disgusting little grubs into my workplace and stand about while they wreck anything they wish their hands upon and then just smile and giggle like it is a cute affirmation of their correct decision to procreate. Also children constantly affect the lives of those around them, like myself, who don't even have nor want any themselves. Family children, like nephews and the like are infringing upon my right not to have to put up with them. I didn't have sex, these aren't MY children yet I am having to put up with them despite my protestations (which get everyone to go against me as if I'm the enemy here).

And then random strangers, well their children are a problem too. Way too many of those; who run about touching stuff and just getting in the way. Just short and useless and annoying.

Would my decision be a good idea?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No.

1. There are side effects. I experience them from time to time. Imagine if your jeans just happen to be a tad tighter than usual (gained 5lb recently, intend to get rid of it but you know...) and you just happen to have a little more pressure "than usual" down there and the combination of all this causes the (generally infrequent) inflammatory pain to surface. Suddenly, you're trapped in a state where it feels like you're being slowly, almost gently, kicked in the balls progressively harder every waking hour of the day. Usually takes ibuprofen to stop the pain and "reset" it back to normal. Unless you want to go even further and have an epididymectomy or some other procedure.

2. You are young. Not sure how young, but, if you're younger than 30 or so, just shut up and forget about it. Just don't do it. Seriously. Your mind might change some day...

3. If you're always going to be a virgin, then why bother?! See #1. Why go through the side effects if you'll never need it?

My own reasons for having it done-
1. Married to someone I legitimately can't imagine divorcing
2. Got 2 kids with her
3. Wants lots and lots of sex but don't want more than 2 kids; don't want the extra financial and practical strains of dealing with them.
Beyond the side effects which are infrequent enough ... I am OK with what I did. I know she would never say no to "more" but I'm the one who decided this, and she was just fine with it as well.

As a side note to others considering this, one interesting side effect I did not expect is a massive, and (pardon my french) MASSIVE increase in sex drive afterwards. I credit this to the continual anxiety I would feel about getting my wife pregnant again and the stresses of going through the whole long process (9 months + the next 24 after tend to be intense, along with the barrage of appointments and medical bills and oh my), along with the practical concerns of having to consider moving to a larger house to comfortably raise them all, etc. That basic "fact" about sexuality haunted me in a way I never really acknowledged consciously, until it was gone.

There are some who believe that losing your "capability" to father children will make you inherently less desirable to women, so if there ever comes a time that your hormones DO lead you to seek such companionship, know that it may not come as naturally or easily with some women. I can't imagine this is a hard and fast rule though, particularly with women who truly have NO desire to mother any more children, or have some of their own & do desire a partner who can't get them pregnant.

This might be relevant to you - after having a vasectomy done, your own sex drive might increase in a manner that may drive you to do ... inappropriate things, if you're not already in a marriage or otherwise reliable sexual relationship. Something to think about.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
No.

1. There are side effects. I experience them from time to time. Imagine if your jeans just happen to be a tad tighter than usual (gained 5lb recently, intend to get rid of it but you know...) and you just happen to have a little more pressure "than usual" down there and the combination of all this causes the (generally infrequent) inflammatory pain to surface. Suddenly, you're trapped in a state where it feels like you're being slowly, almost gently, kicked in the balls progressively harder every waking hour of the day. Usually takes ibuprofen to stop the pain and "reset" it back to normal. Unless you want to go even further and have an epididymectomy or some other procedure.

This is a fair point, I see. I hadn't researched the side effects myself.

2. You are young. Not sure how young, but, if you're younger than 30 or so, just shut up and forget about it. Just don't do it. Seriously. Your mind might change some day...

I'm fairly final when I set my mind. I'm one of the most rigid and certain people I've ever met.

3. If you're always going to be a virgin, then why bother?! See #1. Why go through the side effects if you'll never need it?

Because someone might rape me, or seduce me (despite my rigidity) or perhaps I accidentally do something masturbatory that lands where it shouldn't? There are loads of things that could happen. Maybe drugged and have my sperm stolen.

My own reasons for having it done-
1. Married to someone I legitimately can't imagine divorcing
2. Got 2 kids with her
3. Wants lots and lots of sex but don't want more than 2 kids; don't want the extra financial and practical strains of dealing with them.
Beyond the side effects which are infrequent enough ... I am OK with what I did. I know she would never say no to "more" but I'm the one who decided this, and she was just fine with it as well.

That's fair enough, but shame on you for having the kids. We need less of that not more.

As a side note to others considering this, one interesting side effect I did not expect is a massive, and (pardon my french) MASSIVE increase in sex drive afterwards. I credit this to the continual anxiety I would feel about getting my wife pregnant again and the stresses of going through the whole long process, along with the practical concerns of having to consider moving to a larger house to comfortably raise them all, etc. That basic "fact" about sexuality haunted me in a way I never really acknowledged consciously, until it was gone.

This might be relevant to you - after having a vasectomy done, your own sex drive might increase in a manner that may drive you to do ... inappropriate things, if you're not already in a marriage or otherwise reliable sexual relationship. Something to think about.

I've never heard of that....yeah something to think about. That might convince me not to. However I still think it would be a good safe guard.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=585]spirilis[/MENTION] , you have two kids already? Wow! You don't mess around. LOL

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Would my decision be a good idea?

No.

As a side note to others considering this, one interesting side effect I did not expect is a massive, and (pardon my french) MASSIVE increase in sex drive afterwards.

I can attest to this. That's how it's been for the last oh, 14 years or so since my husband had one. I agree that it's all that stress of pregnancy out the window but I think that happens because I, like you, already had kids, we didn't want more and now we can just wherever or whenever we want.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I was thinking about getting a vasectomy.

I know I'm quite young and still a virgin (which fortunately won't change as far as I can see) but I plan on never having children because there are far too many children around as it is. This isn't entirely to do with population issues it's also a personal dislike; I hate kids.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse on this one...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Definitely not. Think about the physiology of what you're doing. You're cutting off a route that fluid and cells are suppose to go. Where do they go when that route is cut off? They are reabsorbed constantly by the body. More work and more labor for something to try to somehow bypass a function you cut off. (People think the increase in sex drive is the body's natural way of responding to 'No sperm is escaping!' via 'Make more opportunities for it to escape!') Especially being young, and in prime sex-drive times, thats a looott of semen being reabsorbed. They're suspecting links to other issues for men with vasectomies too.

Your body isn't stupid. It does its thing. It tries its best. But every medical procedure, every medicine, all has pros and cons to weigh in on. Even 'gentle' things have pros and cons. A vasectomy is a big deal. Even if you don't want children. Seriously, unless you have a crazy stalker woman trying to drug you and get your little swimmers somehow (and I'd say the police is more likely to help than a vasectomy) let your body be what it is. A condom on you at all times helps others around you (Yeah, I got you covered pal) and yourself (if ever you change your mind about sex).

Until something is indicated for quality of life (like the situations indicated above) or medical indications (there are very very few for a vasectomy besides QOL), don't waste your time and money on it. It IS a good procedure, and a relatively safe one, but even safe procedures have consequences and you must balance pros and cons. I just can't see any pros for you besides, "I don't need to carry a condom."

If you want something to avoid future issues because you're paranoid, get an appendectomy. Those are relatively safe and can prevent issues in the future of oh-you-never-know.

A condom is easier to get and free.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Definitely not. Think about the physiology of what you're doing. You're cutting off a route that fluid and cells are suppose to go. Where do they go when that route is cut off? They are reabsorbed constantly by the body. More work and more labor for something to try to somehow bypass a function you cut off. (People think the increase in sex drive is the body's natural way of responding to 'No sperm is escaping!' via 'Make more opportunities for it to escape!') Especially being young, and in prime sex-drive times, thats a looott of semen being reabsorbed. They're suspecting links to other issues for men with vasectomies too.

Your body isn't stupid. It does its thing. It tries its best. But every medical procedure, every medicine, all has pros and cons to weigh in on. Even 'gentle' things have pros and cons. A vasectomy is a big deal. Even if you don't want children. Seriously, unless you have a crazy stalker woman trying to drug you and get your little swimmers somehow (and I'd say the police is more likely to help than a vasectomy) let your body be what it is. A condom on you at all times helps others around you (Yeah, I got you covered pal) and yourself (if ever you change your mind about sex).

Until something is indicated for quality of life (like the situations indicated above) or medical indications (there are very very few for a vasectomy besides QOL), don't waste your time and money on it. It IS a good procedure, and a relatively safe one, but even safe procedures have consequences and you must balance pros and cons. I just can't see any pros for you besides, "I don't need to carry a condom."

If you want something to avoid future issues because you're paranoid, get an appendectomy. Those are relatively safe and can prevent issues in the future of oh-you-never-know.

A condom is easier to get and free.

Appendectomy? Hmm you might have convinced me with that. Perhaps this should have been a poll, but I predict a landslide in favour of the no party.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Appendectomy? Hmm you might have convinced me with that. Perhaps this should have been a poll, but I predict a landslide in favour of the no party.

:laugh: an appendectomy isn't totally necessary either, but it is an elective procedure here in the US anyways. The appendix does nothing at best.

Besides, from what I've heard, if you intend on staying a virgin as any sort of goal a vasectomy might work against you. And I promise, safe sex without paranoia and worry about children is definitely possible man.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Apparently there's a decent chance of having pain in the testicles that doesn't go away, I guess like what [MENTION=585]spirilis[/MENTION] describes. And it may slightly increase the risk of lethal prostate cancer. Neither of those things sound like something I'd want to risk, personally. Also, a friend of mine has a post-vasectomy baby. (Then again, another friend of mine has a post-IUD baby, and I use an IUD, so that's not really enough to deter me apparently.)

I think, if I were you, I'd probably wait and see what happens with the non-surgical birth control options that are on the horizon for men. That's what my husband has decided to do, especially considering the IUD is reversible, cheap with insurance, and has benefits I like.

Male Contraception Information Project

Permabanned
I personally believe one shouldn't contemplate on such an important decision without

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I personally believe one shouldn't contemplate on such an important decision without

No one knows better than a stranger!

I got into a lot of vans as a kid. Blanche DuBois had the right idea.

Which means a lot can change, right?

Yeah like I could die from something, not necessarily sexually transmitted though.

Apparently there's a decent chance of having pain in the testicles that doesn't go away, I guess like what [MENTION=585]spirilis[/MENTION] describes. And it may slightly increase the risk of lethal prostate cancer. Neither of those things sound like something I'd want to risk, personally. Also, a friend of mine has a post-vasectomy baby. (Then again, another friend of mine has a post-IUD baby, and I use an IUD, so that's not really enough to deter me apparently.)

I think, if I were you, I'd probably wait and see what happens with the non-surgical birth control options that are on the horizon for men. That's what my husband has decided to do, especially considering the IUD is reversible, cheap with insurance, and has benefits I like.

Male Contraception Information Project

Ah now that sounds interesting, OK maybe I'll wait to see what develops in this area.

Last edited:

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm in the no camp. Hate is not the right frame of mind to make such a life changing decision.

And for the record, when you're done with having kids, men with vasectomy are HOT! :fiesta:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm in the no camp. Hate is not the right frame of mind to make such a life changing decision.

And for the record, when you're done with having kids, men with vasectomy are HOT! :fiesta:

I'm not sure hot is a description that could ever be applied to me.

And hate is the perfect frame of mind for every decision. It's no worse than any other emotional motivator.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure hot is a description that could ever be applied to me.

And hate is the perfect frame of mind for every decision. It's no worse than any other emotional motivator.

Ehhh... I would say that in general, acting in hatred produces action that is disproportionate to the situation. Which is pretty much what getting a vasectomy is when you are young and not sexually active.