• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We can all eat eggs again. Cholesterol is no longer bad for you.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Would have shaved off a year or three for my weekly huevos rancheros newayz

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Deviled eggs and soft-boiled eggs are life. Perfectly poached eggs are amazing too, but I'm incapable of making them.

I second the Poach Pods. My boys love poached eggs but they couldn't make them no matter how many times I showed them.

Poached eggs with runny yokes on sourdough toast, lashings of butter....:nice: I think everyone needs to give me their recipes for making yummy stuff with eggs, I anticipate I will probably eat another 30,000 or so before I die.

YES!

I also love creamed eggs. This is just a white sauce with chopped up hard boiled eggs, a little dry mustard, salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. On buttery toast of course.

Corned beef hash. I make it from leftover corned beef but there is a frozen brand that's excellent. Greased baking dish, add the hash and make dents for as many eggs as you like. Salt, pepper, a little bit of half and half and bake. The hash gets crisp and the eggs are perfect.

The last one actually has a recipe. So good, one of my all time favorites for breakfast or dinner.

Easy Eggs with Grated Potatoes

4 tbsp olive oil
1 medium size onion finely diced
80 g mushrooms finely diced
2 medium size potatoes grated
4 eggs
40 g feta cheese crumbled
2 tbsp coarsely chopped parsley
pinch of dry thyme
pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of salt

Directions

Warm up a large skillet on a medium heat. Pour olive oil and as it only starts sizzling in a very subtle way – thrown in the diced onions. Cook onions for 3-4 minutes until golden stirring now and then. Add diced mushrooms and grated potatoes, mix well and let cook for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile in a medium size bowl whisk eggs with salt, dry thyme and red pepper flakes. Add crumbled feta cheese and coarsely shopped parsley and mix well. Set aside.
Back to the potatoes: lift the edge of the potato mix with a heat-proof wide spatula to see if the bottom is slightly brown and crispy. If so, slip spatula under the mix and turn as large piece upside down as you can. Repeat until the browned side of your potatoes faces up – this way the potatoes will have crispy top.
Just as you’ve turned the vegetable mix upside down pour the egg mixture over it making sure it spreads evenly and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Now and then make little cuts on the eggs with spatula so that the eggs cook better. Once the eggs are cooked at the edges and only slightly liquid at the center, cover the skillet with a lead and set aside for 5 minutes.

Remove the lead, cut in wedges and serve hot with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
PeaceBaby said:
Constantly pointing out things now proven to be incomplete or incorrect as though you yourself knew better or would have known better all along is akin to playing armchair quarterback.

I didn't want to disturb the jovial mood of the thread last night, but I really should point out that I posted these remarks in kyueii's Vaccination thread back in June 25, 2014:

There are many exceptions to this: global warming hysterics, cold fusion or low energy nuclear reactions, saturated fats cause heart disease; cholesterol causes heart disease; vitamin c doesn't help with cancer. There are many consensus opinions that lack support from empirical evidence.

You won't hear it from government agencies because they are wedded to bad theories like the cholesterol theory of heart disease.

As you can see, there is no armchair quarterbacking here. The government has dutifully ignored over a dozen studies that obliterate the "cholesterol is bad for you" theory that span 20 plus years. I'd like to think that some government donkey's been following my posts and finally coming to his/her senses. :D

Last edited:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Next is the faulty saturated fats are harmful consensus. That also needs to go.

Monunsaturated Fat>Polyunsaturated>Saturated Fat>Trans fat.

The way I see it, known benefits (mono and poly)> unknown/debated(saturated)>known negatives (transfat/hydrogenated oils.)

There is no such thing as moderation when it comes to trans fats, the less you intake, the better.

Most that may give saturated fats a bad name may be choosing the wrong foods to begin with.

We can compare

Salmon

Big Mac

And

Whole Milk

All 3 have saturated fats, but which is considered the more unhealthy alternative? Besides containing saturated fats and mono/polyunsaturated fats, Salmon and whole milk also contain many other nutrients (and less sodium and simple carbs, for that matter.) That Big Mac, on the other, is all saturated fat (possibly transfat, as companies aren't required to list it above a certain number), sodium, and quite a lot of simple carbs.

Salmon shows a high proportion of Omega 3 fats while Whole milk contains slightly more Omega 6 fats.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Rail Tracer said:
Monunsaturated Fat>Polyunsaturated>Saturated Fat>Trans fat.

I'm not sure about this ranking. When scientists analyzed the fatty acid content of aortic plaques, only 24 or 28% was saturated fatty acids. The bulk of the fatty acids were of the polyunsaturated variety.

Positive associations were found between serum and plaque omega 6 (r = 0.75) and omega 3 (r = 0.93) polyunsaturated fatty acids, and monounsaturates (r = 0.70), and also between adipose tissue and plaque omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (r = 0.89). No associations were found with saturated fatty acids.

Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and composition of human aortic plaques.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure about this ranking. When scientists analyzed the fatty acid content of aortic plaques, only 24 or 28% was saturated fatty acids. The bulk of the fatty acids were of the polyunsaturated variety.

Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and composition of human aortic plaques.

Paywall :mad: can't read the whole thing even if I wanted to. I take it that, when they say Aortic, they mean the blood vessels themselves. Is there a more recent study finding the same thing?

This is more recent, it says that N3 polyunsaturated(such as those coming from fish) fats had more stability over the course of taking it/eating it, while N6 of polyunsaturated fat (such as sunflower oil) didn't really do much. I'm unsure how long the study of the one you listed was done though (like I said, paywall.)

Similarly, I found a longer study using monkeys between the three fat diets (just one year after your source). It seems to decrease the likelihood of "Coronary Artery Atherosclerosis" as opposed to Saturated and Monounsaturated fat.

There are risks of oxidation though, which is one of the bad things about polyunsaturated fat.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Rail Tracer said:
I'm unsure how long the study of the one you listed was done though (like I said, paywall.)

It was an analysis of dead people's aortic plagues, so a lifetime. I also read that adipose tissue is primarily polyunsaturated fat.

Similarly, I found a longer study using monkeys between the three fat diets (just one year after your source). It seems to decrease the likelihood of "Coronary Artery Atherosclerosis" as opposed to Saturated and Monounsaturated fat.

Interesting. This study looked at cholesterol content in the coronary arteries, not the actual fatty acids themselves. So it seems that polys lower cholesterol content in arteries but will still clog arteries with fatty acids.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sunny side up!