• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bulletproof coffee

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you guys heard about this fad that's become popular known as "bulletproof coffee"? It was developed by tech entrepreneur Dave Asprey, who was inspired by the yak-butter tea he drank in Tibet. Basically, it's coffee, organic grass-fed butter, and oil (coconut or MCT) blended together until frothy. It's meant to replace breakfast. People claim it suppresses appetite and gives them energy and mental clarity that lasts all day. Oh, and it somehow burns fat and causes you to lose weight.

I tried bulletproof coffee yesterday. My mom, who has a pattern of throwing herself headlong into the latest diet craze, whatever it is, was extolling its virtues to me, so I let her make me a cup. To be honest... it was delicious. It was unbelievably smooth and creamy, and just... damn. I could see why people are nuts about it.

But is it really wise to consume it as a meal replacement every day? One serving of bulletproof coffee, made according to the recommended specifications, contains 440 calories, a whopping 51 grams of fat, and only one gram of protein. That can't be good, can it? And what about all the nutrients you're not getting, that you're missing out on by not eating a balanced breakfast? I suppose you could take a multivitamin, but you're still not getting enough protein or fiber, or any of the other myriad nutrients from real food. And what about cholesterol?

I don't know about this trend. I may have a bulletproof coffee once in a great while, because I thought it was delicious. But every day? That's a lot of fat. I think I'd rather eat an avocado.

Has anyone else heard of this? What are your thoughts?

Jaguar

I'm a coffee drinker, but I would never suggest to anyone they use it as a meal replacement. As for eating an avocado? I eat them all the time. (Excellent source of potassium, if you eat a whole one.)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Have you guys heard about this fad that's become popular known as "bulletproof coffee"? It was developed by tech entrepreneur Dave Asprey, who was inspired by the yak-butter tea he drank in Tibet. Basically, it's coffee, organic grass-fed butter, and oil (coconut or MCT) blended together until frothy. It's meant to replace breakfast. People claim it suppresses appetite and gives them energy and mental clarity that lasts all day. Oh, and it somehow burns fat and causes you to lose weight.

I tried bulletproof coffee yesterday. My mom, who has a pattern of throwing herself headlong into the latest diet craze, whatever it is, was extolling its virtues to me, so I let her make me a cup. To be honest... it was delicious. It was unbelievably smooth and creamy, and just... damn. I could see why people are nuts about it.

But is it really wise to consume it as a meal replacement every day? One serving of bulletproof coffee, made according to the recommended specifications, contains 440 calories, a whopping 51 grams of fat, and only one gram of protein. That can't be good, can it? And what about all the nutrients you're not getting, that you're missing out on by not eating a balanced breakfast? I suppose you could take a multivitamin, but you're still not getting enough protein or fiber, or any of the other myriad nutrients from real food. And what about cholesterol?

I don't know about this trend. I may have a bulletproof coffee once in a great while, because I thought it was delicious. But every day? That's a lot of fat. I think I'd rather eat an avocado.

Yeah I'm not keen on meal replacements either. For me I have to feel like I ate something hardy. I prefer to eat 2-3 eggs and some gluten free wheat bread. I get tons of carbs and protein and very low amounts of healthy fats. I'm drinking coffee at the moment. If I didn't run so much I would eat less carbs and replace bread with apples and oranges. The sugars in fruits don't seem to really effect me and eating three oranges is less than 150 calories and leaves one feeling full as a balloon. Same with apples and peanut butter.

Although I can promise you that I always be at least biking, assuming I lose my back sometime between now and 40 and can't run, since cardio has a tremendous effect on enhancing your cognitive abilities. I've memorized the entire fretboard on the guitar in one week in terms of scales because of running and then playing right after...that's insane...that's more memory power than a medical student uses in medicine and it's all because I am passionate about it and also doing the running.

I feel like cardio is the key to most issues. We have to sweat. Our intelligence has always evolved parallel to our motion. Even doing speed bag drills if you're not a boxer makes you twice as creative since ambidextrous people are more creative than either single handed people.

edit: notice how horrid my grammar and spelling is in the above message cause I'm actually writing this post in less than 30 seconds...mostly due to the fact that I run and my brain is just LIT UP!

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=23213]GarrotTheThief[/MENTION] Yeah, I can't imagine being able to get through my workout without lots of protein. Even on my rest days, if I don't eat protein in the morning, I feel sick to my stomach by lunchtime.

Replacing a high-protein breakfast with a big mug of butter coffee before a workout? I'm pretty sure I'd vomit and pass out. Hopefully in that order.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
meal replacements generally are not good, this sounds like a horrible diet. though sometimes I have no appetite and been meaning to get some protein shakes because i eat about 1-2 meals a day on average.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I don't think I would suggest it as a meal replacement. It does sound better than the elephant poop coffee though, which may be totally great but...nah.

No. 1 Most Expensive Coffee Comes From Elephant's No. 2 : The Salt : NPR

I'd rather eat the avocado too.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard of it. I think it's supposed to use it as part of a ketogenic diet or low-carb diet. I came across doing research on those diets.

I got to give it to this guy for turning this into a business...I don't think the yak-butter tea would have ever taken off...

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
My CrossFit friends are all gaga over bulletproof coffee. I will admit that it is extremely tasty.

I'm mostly paleo anyways, and I've found this to be another great excuse to consume more coconut oil. I definitely wouldn't drink it every day, or replace complete meals with it either. When I do have some bulletproof coffee it has significantly less butter/oil in it than the recipe calls for. As with anything regarding diet, moderation blah blah blah balance blah blah blah.

we-love-coconut-oil.jpg

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
[MENTION=23213]GarrotTheThief[/MENTION] Yeah, I can't imagine being able to get through my workout without lots of protein. Even on my rest days, if I don't eat protein in the morning, I feel sick to my stomach by lunchtime.

Replacing a high-protein breakfast with a big mug of butter coffee before a workout? I'm pretty sure I'd vomit and pass out. Hopefully in that order.

yeah without protein you'll get weaker. Your body will cannibalize your muscle mass and consume it, you will feel restless, tired and have weird cravings.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
fyi the primary problem with low carb diets is mood swings. When you have to keep your mind in tip top shape and need to be in a good mood to perform because your job is 90%mental a low carb diet is the worst thing you can do. IQ tests go up by almost 10 points at least based on mood alone - that is why listening to mozart makes 30% of people do better because it puts them in a good mood. The same effect can be seen with Stephen King readings for people who are fans of that...it has the same effect.

Same with carbs. Without carbs your brain is not functioning properly. If I don't eat carbs during the day and I go and try to do a pullup I can barely do 2. If I eat a healthy dose of carbs I can do 10. The muscle gain from 10 pullups not to mention the pump and the feeling and the spiritual thing about it is infinitely more gratifying than walking around with 4% body fat for no reason which is unnatural anyways and probably will result in hair loss and an early onset of osteperosis.

Carbs are not your enemy. Your enemy is lack of activity or too many of the wrong carbs. I just finished running 3 miles, jump roping for 5 minutes, and doing 100 kicks on each leg and ate a plate of pasta, a giant chicken breast, and had coffee with a natural peanut butter a jelly sandwich on gluten free bread. I naturally put on weight easily but I eat this much because I run and now my brain is lit. I'm going to go study stats for fun and so I can design a video game one day or learn to predict the out come of sports games....

Life is fun when you enjoy moving. The biggest cure to a stiff back is gentle slow motion stretching. The back gets stiff because we stop moving. The body is never meant to stop moving. I have so many secrets i should be Richard Simmons. Maybe I will one day.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like you, [MENTION=23213]GarrotTheThief[/MENTION].

I relate to everything in your last post. I was on a low-carb diet briefly, and I called it "The Bad Mood Diet". I was grouchy all the time, and also (sorry if this is TMI) irregular, which I'd never been before in my entire life. Carbs are necessary. As are proteins and fat. They just need to be consumed in reasonable amounts, and supplemented with exercise. It's as simple as that.

The problem is, people want instant results. That's why fad diets will always be popular.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I like you, [MENTION=23213]GarrotTheThief[/MENTION].

I relate to everything in your last post. I was on a low-carb diet briefly, and I called it "The Bad Mood Diet". I was grouchy all the time, and also (sorry if this is TMI) irregular, which I'd never been before in my entire life. Carbs are necessary. As are proteins and fat. They just need to be consumed in reasonable amounts, and supplemented with exercise. It's as simple as that.

The problem is, people want instant results. That's why fad diets will always be popular.

Yup thanks! :hug: As an ENTJ I use the emoticons to express my emotions because it's quick and painless...lol...anyways.

Yeah...about 2 years ago I was 230lbs at 6ft. I had a lot of muscle but I didn't like how hard it was to move. So I started biking every day at first for 20 to 40 minutes a day. Then after about a year I started running just to see how the biking paid off. At that point I was 210lbs and thought I wouldn't run much if that or ever agian - I was a track guy so it was painful to admit.

But my friend told me about this book Born to Run that they are making a movie about soon with Matthew McCaunahey, if that's how you spell his name. I listened to the book and it promoted barefoot running. I didn't run barefoot but it inspired me to run and soon I started running 2-3 miles a day and eventually last spring was doing about an hour run.

Soon I was in a shape and now I'm almost back to my glory days of my teens but at the age of 30.

It's always best to go slow and steady and make the workout in such a way where you feel better the next to (to a degree of course). The mood is an interesting compass. If someone works out too hard, which I still do sometimes, and wakes up the next day and feels like jumping off a balcony they probably trained too hard (or have an other issue to deal with).

Fad diets such as carb free diets are usefull for athletes who are cutting for an event like bodybuilders or boxers but as humans who have jobs and who aren't pro athletes we have to expand in so many other ways that pro athletes don't have to and we only have so much force inside of us. We need to grow in a complete circle - financially, educationally, career wise, hobby wise, etc...hell if we have kids even more (the more the merrier).

So that's why I compare my philosophy to Richard Simons. To be honest what has been instrumental in my getting back into shape is stretching and doing a lot of leg lifts, laterall and forward, and doing planks, or a lot of core work that doesn't involve weights, and doing it in conjunction with stretching.

Richard did a lot of those sorts of movements. He would have his people doing leg lifts and basic stuff. It is completely strange for some people to go and bench 250lbs and not be able to do at least 15 pullups and plank for two minutes. There are so many people who do this and then they rip their shoulders or tear a ligament and they wonder why.

Weights are good but require good form and a solid foundation in the core. They are good because once you start doing 50 squats with no weight its better to add just a little weight so you can do 20 and not overwork the joints. But the way people treat weightlifting now, as some sort of cosmetic solution for re sculpting the body, when they aren't even bodybuilders is the opposite direction of health.

Anyways...sorry just sort of spewing forth my insights from these last 2-3 years of transforming back into my former self.

Side note: if I would have known what I know now about training when I was a teen I would have been a d1 runner but since as a youth I stacked the squat rack and didn't work the core I lost out on seconds that would have made someone who is a good sprinter into a phenomenal sprinter.

If I don't do the groundwork today, it's so drastic, since I'm older, I can't even runner half as far. I learned the groundwork from a marathon runner online on youtube who was an olympian. She was showing how leg lifts and certain leg exercises while laying on the ground helped strengthen the hip joints and create better running structure.

Anyways..I have so many secrets!

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Experiment:

Video about it: