• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ooh, that looks great. Especially as a winter comfort food recipe -- but with less sodium and less fat and a lot more vegetables. Definitely looks like a recipe for #hygge .

It reheated well too. It reminds me a little bit of Thanksgiving food. :wubbie:

Also, there is nothing boring about that Thai peanut slaw. So yummy.

Updates:

- I decided on salad with chicken for some dinners this week, something kind of spicy. I really like using salsa and a little bit of sour cream and avocado for a dressing. I have two chicken breasts marinating in olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, a tiny bit of honey, and a sprinkle of cumin.

- I can't find a physical therapist within 15 miles of where I live that will accept my insurance, so that is still on hold. My parents have offered to pay out of pocket if we can't find one. Still able to do yoga, and even some rock climbing. I just have to do a lot of stretching.

- Need to find a new chiropractor. I LOVE my current one, but she is too far away for weekly adjustments. And if my SI joint won't stay in weekly adjustments are necessary.

- Started taking a magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement. Apparently magnesium is good natural muscle relaxer and can combat anxiety. I can massively benefit from both of these things.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've done salad for dinner the last three nights. The first two nights were really good because I used salsa and avocado. But I ran out of avocado and I just wasn't feeling the salsa today so I jut used random stuff. Ended up with romaine, red onion, carrots, feta, chicken, quinoa, and light Italian dressing. It was okay. The feta was fantastic, but that was about it. I keep trying to make myself like quinoa but I just don't think it's going to happen. No matter how I cook it, it's just meh. I know it's super healthy, etc. But just not my thing. Given the choice I'll choose brown rice any day.

I'm pretty much all saladed out for awhile so I'm making thecrockpot sesame chicken I made about a month ago. I'll serve with brown rice and green beans. I'm already excited about eating it.

I actually planned ahead for breakfast! I made two days with of steel coat oatmeal. I made it in unsweetened vanilla almond milk, planning to add toasted almonds and blueberries.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I keep trying to make myself like quinoa but I just don't think it's going to happen. No matter how I cook it, it's just meh. I know it's super healthy, etc. But just not my thing. Given the choice I'll choose brown rice any day.
Totally agree. I like it okay on salads, but I don't get the trend of trying to add it to every food, or substitute rice for it.

I'm pretty much all saladed out for awhile so I'm making thecrockpot sesame chicken I made about a month ago. I'll serve with brown rice and green beans. I'm already excited about eating it.
Let me/us (the readership) know how it turns out!

I actually planned ahead for breakfast! I made two days with of steel coat oatmeal. I made it in unsweetened vanilla almond milk, planning to add toasted almonds and blueberries.
Mmm, that sounds great.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Been having some money-related anxiety -- vacation in New Orleans being more expensive than I thought it would be, plus several unanticipated large expenses -- so I've made budgeting plans for this coming month, maximizing the amount I can put back into my savings account (and saving up for my nebulous but still exciting summer plans!).

The budgeting plans that relate to food:
- Eating lunch or dinner out only once or twice a week, and if eating out on my own, trying to eat somewhere with big portions so I'll have leftovers
- Always bringing my own Diet Cokes to work instead of buying them from the vending machine
- If doing job applications at a coffee shop, not buying any food/drink worth more than $2
- Being more serious about planning groceries based on what I already have at home
- Not letting my weekly groceries exceed $30

Some things I've learned in the process of planning, so far:
- Cheapest breakfasts I can think of: 1) fruit and peanut butter, 2) egg on toast (or peanut butter on toast), 3) oatmeal with fixins. Granola, Greek yogurt, and most types of cereal cost ridiculous amounts in comparison.
- Trader Joe's and Giant are the BEST.

This week's food plans:
- Breakfasts: Overnight steel-cut oats, sliced apples cooked on the stove, apple butter left over from a festival I went to in November, and nutty-crunchy add-ins I already had (flaxseed, pepitas)
- Lunches: Skinny Spinach Lasagna - Pinch of Yum (in the oven now! makes like 12 servings, so I'm sharing with my roommate and she's paying me back for half the groceries)
- Dinners: Chicken sausage gumbo, using Soumas Heritage Creole Creations gumbo mix :heart: (My mom makes the drive to Bossier City whenever she visits family in northern Louisiana, and sends Soumas mixes to me. I have two packages of gumbo mix -- saving one for my hypothetical Mardi Gras party this month)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Been having some money-related anxiety -- vacation in New Orleans being more expensive than I thought it would be, plus several unanticipated large expenses -- so I've made budgeting plans for this coming month, maximizing the amount I can put back into my savings account (and saving up for my nebulous but still exciting summer plans!).

The budgeting plans that relate to food:
- Eating lunch or dinner out only once or twice a week, and if eating out on my own, trying to eat somewhere with big portions so I'll have leftovers
- Always bringing my own Diet Cokes to work instead of buying them from the vending machine
- If doing job applications at a coffee shop, not buying any food/drink worth more than $2
- Being more serious about planning groceries based on what I already have at home
- Not letting my weekly groceries exceed $30

Oh my, $30? That sounds so difficult! I'm not sure I could do it. I would have to make exceptions for Costco trips... Unless I stopped eating meat. And I would have to stop baking. Those ingredients get expensive.

Sesame chicken once again came out lovely. I used breasts instead of thighs, cut the honey a bit, and added 2 tsp of sesame oil. Served with brown rice and roasted green beans. All together it comes out to 395 calories.

I have probably 2 more meals of that for this week, plus some leftover pizza.

Somehow I've managed to gain 3ish pounds this semester which is super frustrating because I've been exercising almost every day. It's definitely not all muscle. I tend to gain weight around the middle and it's there. So, definitely need to adjust food and add more cardio. I've gotten a lot stronger from rock climbing, but I need to be more consistent about cardio. I'm going to make it a goal to do at least 20 minutes on the elliptical before hitting the wall, they are in the same building so it shouldn't be too hard.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Been losing weight, which I guess is fine, but I think my butt has shrunk disproportionately :irked:

Lessons Learned:

1) Buy those running shoes and get back into running
2) Never skip leg day
2) SQUATS

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Been losing weight, which I guess is fine, but I think my butt has shrunk disproportionately :irked:

Same here, I was pretty much back to pre-preggo weight in less than two weeks but now I have a flabby belly which is compensated for by a slightly smaller butt :irked:

Mind if I join the healthy food and excercise brigade? Health insurance would even pay for postnatal excercise classes if I choose to take them.

In the meantime I'll have to buy a new jeans that's that one extra inch wider since neither the preggo pants nor my previous ones really fit right now. *sigh*

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Lessons Learned:

1) Buy those running shoes and get back into running
2) Never skip leg day
2) SQUATS

Hahaha. Yeah, my butt and thighs are like the one place I really don't want to lose weight. They're already pretty trim/muscular. I would even be okay with my boobs shrinking a bit, but not my butt. Thankfully rock climbing and yoga keep it pretty round. I don't even think I really had a butt until yoga, actually.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh my, $30? That sounds so difficult! I'm not sure I could do it. I would have to make exceptions for Costco trips... Unless I stopped eating meat. And I would have to stop baking. Those ingredients get expensive.
A few things are working in my favor:

- A pantry and fridge that are well stocked with sauces, oils, and spices
- Sites like Budget Bytes that include prices by their recipes
- Not baking a whole lot
- Sharing with roommates on occasion (e.g. this week, with the lasagna -- I'm going to use some of the $6 that INTP roomie owes me to buy coffee)

Usually my groceries come out to between $35 and $40 per week, so this isn't the most abrupt shift.

Same here, I was pretty much back to pre-preggo weight in less than two weeks but now I have a flabby belly which is compensated for by a slightly smaller butt :irked:

Mind if I join the healthy food and excercise brigade? Health insurance would even pay for postnatal excercise classes if I choose to take them.

In the meantime I'll have to buy a new jeans that's that one extra inch wider since neither the preggo pants nor my previous ones really fit right now. *sigh*
Yes definitely join the fun! :pumpyouup:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
- Breakfasts: Overnight steel-cut oats, sliced apples cooked on the stove, apple butter left over from a festival I went to in November, and nutty-crunchy add-ins I already had (flaxseed, pepitas)
This was such a good idea. Oh my god. AMAZING.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Surprisingly, it's been pretty easy to get myself to work out at least 3 days a week. I end up looking forward to it, because I feel drained at the end of the workday, and exercise makes me energized again. However, I have not been motivated to go to the gym, and have been doing bodyweight exercises instead. Hoping that on Saturday or Sunday I'll get a chance to stop by the gym and kick my own ass at the exercise bike for half an hour or so.

My plan to only eat out twice in the week failed miserably when my coworkers took me out to lunch on both Monday and Thursday, and I made plans to get lunch with a former coworker friend on Saturday. Monday was pho and Thursday was Chipotle -- got a burrito and had one half for lunch and one half for dinner -- and Saturday will be Cosi. Since I didn't plan on this, I had a bunch of leftover, 4-day-old sausage gumbo that I most likely wasn't going to eat this week. So I put two servings in the freezer. Will finish off the lasagna today and the unfrozen gumbo either today or tomorrow.

Hoping that this coming week's food plans will end up costing under $30, though it's possible they won't. On the bright side, some of it is going immediately into the freezer, with the gumbo, meaning I'll spend less on groceries the week after. And since I'll be shopping at the Asian grocery, the specialty ingredients should be very reasonably priced. (Also they sell VERY inexpensive seafood.)

Here's the plan:

Closet Cooking: Thai Fish Green Curry with Asparagus and Peas (I already have the asparagus and peas)

SNAP Challenge: One Pot Chili Pasta - Budget Bytes (I already have the black beans, corn, and macaroni, and plan on using turkey instead of beef -- this is the one that's partly or mostly going in the freezer right after I make it)

And finally, for my Valentine's Day party... Baked Mac N Cheese Sriracha Recipe - Food.com

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Update on grocery prices: I think I ended up paying $31 or so? Had to do some complicated math because my roommate bought me things when she went to Trader Joe's and I bought her things when I went to the Asian grocery. Plus I ended up going to Giant the next day to get ground turkey and cheap store-brand canned beans.

On the bright side: $31 bought me a LOT of food. Some of it should last into next week (including half a pound of ground turkey, and several servings of chili pasta, that went straight into the freezer). Meaning, next week I'll probably spend a lot less.

On the down side: I don't think I planned around my pantry/freezer food well enough. Will do better next week.

This turned out GREAT, and was very quick and easy! Will definitely make again.

Pro tip!

This stuff:
maesri_greencurry_c.jpg

is half the price of this stuff:
00400CF.ashx

and is also twice as good... and twice as spicy. You end up needing zero sriracha in your curry.

My sinuses are clear, my mouth is burning, and I am a very happy camper. <3

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Went to the chiropractor today and I am all fixed! My sacroiliac joint, commonly called SI joint was out on the right side. Once it got popped back in it felt so much better. Still a little sore, but I'll be back to exercise tomorrow. :D

original.jpeg

This amuses me, not because you had to get shit popped back in but the fact that your joint was you Si joint and you use Si in your top functions like your si was out of whack. Ok I'm amused just let me be amused you don't have to be.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(sort of cross-posting from my personal blog)

Bought a pair of nice running shoes yesterday! Turns out that my feet have expensive taste and only $100+ running shoes fit them. (Would it have KILLED you to fit into $50 DSW shoes, feet? :dry: ) They're Brooks Ghost 7s and look like this:

womens-brooks-ghost-7-silver-mulberry-purple-pool-green-388211_366_45.jpg

And they work great! Today was a gorgeous day, so I went out for a run to test them out. Ended up running 2.5 miles, which is 1 mile longer than I've ever run without stopping (to put in perspective just how unathletic I've been for most of my life). I think I probably could have run even longer, except that the trail I chose had a lot of hills.

Other miscellaneous notes on the run:

1) Map My Run is a pretty awesome app. I liked being notified each time I'd run another mile, and how long I took to run that mile. Even though I took approx. 9.5 minutes to run each mile. Not great, but I'll get better, and it's good that my pace was consistent.
2) Turns out running with a deadline is a really effective way to push yourself! :laugh: I had to get back home in time to shower and get to choir rehearsal, and after I overshot the correct turnoff to get home by about 1/3 of a mile, I had to force myself to run home, regardless of how tired I was.
3) I think this was the first run I've ever gone on, where I experienced a "second wind". It was maybe 15 minutes in? Somewhere around there? And, conveniently, it was right when I was going up a huge hill.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My last few dinners have been Greek chicken salad. I LOVE this recipe. It's cheap, easy, healthy, and really yummy. I followed the recipe as written except for the cooking of the chicken. I don't have a grill so I cooked in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. I've been serving with whole wheat pocket bread and a little avocado, since the recipe has very little fat aside from the feta and olives.

Not sure what to make next... I'm making a fancy pasta dish on Saturday for Galentine's Day. But I will definitely need something between now and then. I'm a little burned out on Mexican inspired meals, stir fries, as well as salads.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] I know what you mean -- I'm kind of sick of stews and soups. Really tempted to go grocery shopping earlier in the week just so I don't have to eat any chili or gumbo. (Plus I've been craving eggplant parmesan and I have a really healthy recipe for it. Would eat it with spinach and without pasta.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SNAP Challenge: One Pot Chili Pasta - Budget Bytes (I already have the black beans, corn, and macaroni, and plan on using turkey instead of beef -- this is the one that's partly or mostly going in the freezer right after I make it)
I really like this and will make again. Next time I'll double the amount of meat, and not include kidney beans. (Apparently I'm not a fan of kidney beans. You learn something new every day, I guess!) And I might add less macaroni relative to the amount of non-macaroni (which my mother would call "groceries" in this context).

Buying eggplant parm* and mac 'n cheese ingredients on the way home from work today. I think this will be a two-grocery-trip week -- will apparently be eating out two or three times this weekend (yay for long weekends and friend time!), so it wouldn't make sense to buy a lot of groceries until maybe Monday.

*Note that this is healthy eggplant parm -- I think the only butter/oil involved is what greases the pan. Besides that it's eggplant, milk, bread crumbs, herbs, some cheese, and pasta sauce.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Planning to make the yummy peanut slaw for dinner tonight. I got some of the cruciferous crunch from TJ's, adding carrots and maybe some spiralized zucchini. [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], how do you usually adjust the ratio when you use the preprepared slaw? I'm planning to half the dressing recipe.

Not sure what my food plans are for the rest of the week. I didn't make it to H-Mart, might go tonight. I was thinking of doing a shrimp stir-fry with veggies and a red curry sauce.

The weather has been really nice this weekend so I decided to go fora run. Mistake. Twisted my ankle. :dry: It's not a big deal, just a little stiff and sore. I've sprained my right ankle at least 5 times so I know the drill. I'm making serious progress with rock climbing! Routes that I could never have made at the beginning of the semester are pretty easy now. The only downside is that my knees are constantly bruised. Oh well, small price to pay for a fun workout.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Planning to make the yummy peanut slaw for dinner tonight. I got some of the cruciferous crunch from TJ's, adding carrots and maybe some spiralized zucchini. [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], how do you usually adjust the ratio when you use the preprepared slaw? I'm planning to half the dressing recipe.
Ugh sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. Hope it turned out well! I find that the dressing amount is really forgiving -- keeping in mind that the noodles are "optional", I've added noodles, plus more slaw than expected, plus carrots, plus chicken, and kept the dressing amount the same, and it's tasted great.

Did you make it to H Mart?

The weather has been really nice this weekend so I decided to go fora run. Mistake. Twisted my ankle. :dry: It's not a big deal, just a little stiff and sore. I've sprained my right ankle at least 5 times so I know the drill. I'm making serious progress with rock climbing! Routes that I could never have made at the beginning of the semester are pretty easy now. The only downside is that my knees are constantly bruised. Oh well, small price to pay for a fun workout.
Dang. Hope it was the mild kind of twisted ankle that gets better the same day or the next day!

Jealous of your weather -- it's been incredibly cold where I am, and below 20 degrees all weekend. Glad I got a few days of nice weather last weekend, but wishing I could get out and run some more. :(

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ugh sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. Hope it turned out well! I find that the dressing amount is really forgiving -- keeping in mind that the noodles are "optional", I've added noodles, plus more slaw than expected, plus carrots, plus chicken, and kept the dressing amount the same, and it's tasted great.

Did you make it to H Mart?

I didn't make it. :( Ended up spending Saturday with INFP roommate and being totally lazy on Sunday. It's about 25 minutes away so I've been trying to wait till I have another reason to go that direction.

Dang. Hope it was the mild kind of twisted ankle that gets better the same day or the next day!

Jealous of your weather -- it's been incredibly cold where I am, and below 20 degrees all weekend. Glad I got a few days of nice weather last weekend, but wishing I could get out and run some more. :(

It's a lot better already. A little swollen and a little stiff, but mostly fine. Held off on running today, will probably do elliptical before climbing instead.