• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i dunno if protein is till a issue but if it is i like do egg sandwhiches in the morning

toasted english muffin with a fried egg on it that has cheese melted on it (i like pepper jack) and ketchup
egg=protein
cheese=protein
bread=can take it with you
ketchup=just equals good there's nothing of nutrition i just like ketchup

I break the yolk with a knife when i put it in the pan so it firms up and you don't have drippy yellow mess.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hemp pancakes:

3/4 c whole wheat flour (or gluten free)
2 ts baking powder
1 Tbs honey
1 C Hemp/almond/rice/soy milk (use hemp)
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 egg (or egg replacer: I use 1 tsp ground flax + 3Tbs warm water--stir and allow to gel up approx 3-5min)
1/4 C raw, shelled hemp seeds
(I like flax seed, and therefore, add more, add even if using an egg)
LOTS of cinnamon and teeny bit of nutmeg
Splash of vanilla

Whip up, fry in a pan :)

(make it beautiful with pb, syrup, top with fresh berries and a sprinkling of powdered sugar and raw pumpkin seeds)

(go crazy with grilled veggies -asparagus- and egg/tofu. mmmm. breakfast)

Oooh, savory pancakes! I've never had hemp milk, it kind of scares me for some reason. :shrug: I usually stick to unsweetened vanilla almond.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never had hemp milk, it kind of scares me for some reason

If it gives you the giggles, you're on your own ;)

It's a very healthy milk alternative; the very best for hot cocoas :) You should try it!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just popped a variation of this: Honey Sesame Chicken in the crockpot.

Alterations:
- Chicken breasts instead of thighs (mom won't eat dark meat)
- Added about a tsp of grated ginger (because I had it)
- Used olive oil instead of canola
- Added a tsp of toasted sesame oil
- Used an extra clove of garlic (because, garlic)

Serving it with brown rice and green beans roasted in a little bit of olive and garlic salt.

Update:

SUPER yummy. I also ended up adding about a tablespoon of corn starch, dissolved in water, and let it thicken a bit while I shredded the meat. Will definitely make this again.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Been eating a lot of holiday cookies and take-out from my favorite local restaurants, and drinking a lot of lattes, cocoa, and beer. No exercise whatsoever, and no shame about it either.

Next stop: Cajun food, a lot of walking, and hopefully some dancing on New Year's Eve. Goodbye Rockies and hello New Orleans!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
These were the only things I cooked this week:

1) Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies (HUGE success, will make again next year)

2)
Made this for my folks and it turned out amazing:

- 1 box linguine
- 1 large frozen chicken breast, thawed and cut into thin-ish strips
- 1 container Trader Joe's pesto
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- Tons of fresh spinach
- Tons of parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil

I started with the onions and olive oil in a large, deep skillet, then added the chicken, then the spinach (once the chicken was done and the onions were cooked without being too soft) and s&p. Then added the cooked pasta and pesto and drizzled a little extra oil on top. Served with parm on the side so everyone could decide how much they wanted.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My food for the past week:
- Jambalaya
- Gumbo
- Eggs and bacon (like, every day)
- Shrimp etoufee
- Soul food

My exercise for the past week:
- Walking everywhere
- Dancing
- The SICKEST of sick air guitar

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm finally back at my apartment!

Need to get an exercise plan together for this semester since I am no longer in yoga. Depending on prices, I may try to find a studio in town. I am taking a ballroom dancing class though so that will be good for cardio.

Food! I wasn't feeling adventurous when I went grocery shopping last night so turkey chili it is! It's really a pretty healthy "recipe." I'm using ground turkey instead of beef, with a little chorizo. Organic kale was on sale for $.99 a bunch so I'm going to throw some of that in too. Next week I will plan something more exciting and adventurous.

I'm going to try to make my breakfasts a little more substantial than just toast or cereal. I bought a lot of Greek yogurt because it was on sale. I'm also planning to hard boil some eggs. Lunch, I will continue to buy on campus.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My schedule changed, which means I can go to yoga again! Woohoo!

Other exercise is on hold because my back is really sore again. Going to the doctor Friday to hopefully get a physical therapy referral.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Food and exercise have been hectic and weird since I've been back. I ate out a lot last week, and this week I haven't really been eating breakfasts (because I keep forgetting to make this new smoothie recipe in bulk the night before). But at least I've been eating out healthily? (Mediterranean sandwich one day, half a Chipotle burrito another day &c.)

Here's what I HAVE been cooking:

- Soba Noodles with Swiss Chard–Miso Pesto Recipe - CHOW.com (ended up tasting okay, but reheats poorly, and in the end I'd rather just have miso noodle soup with chard)

- Golden Rice Bowls - Budget Bytes (oldie but goodie! as per usual I doubled the amount of spices, and I've been eating it at work, with eggs that I cook in the office microwave (kinda like poaching + hard-boiling), and frozen spinach)

- Peanut-Sesame Slaw with Soba Noodles - Cookie and Kate (another oldie but goodie -- this time used a different kind of slaw and it was SO MUCH BETTER than when I'd just used shredded cabbage!)

I've had too much to do and too many resolutions to try and follow -- exercise included -- so I'm trying to integrate one daily habit at a time. Easing into them. Starting with daily music practice (for choir and for mandolin lessons), then daily job searching, then 3-5x per week exercising. Doing them all at once is too stressful.

(In case you've been wondering, a lot of these recipes have been to use up the large quantities of buckwheat noodles and red miso paste that I bought at the local Asian grocery in December. So if anyone has healthy suggestions for these two ingredients, hit me up!)

Last edited:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Peanut-Sesame Slaw with Soba Noodles - Cookie and Kate (another oldie but goodie -- this time used a different kind of slaw and it was SO MUCH BETTER than when I'd just used shredded cabbage!)

I think I'm going to make this tomorrow for dinner. Not sure what to do about a slaw though. I'll probably try to recreate what you bought from TJ's. I won't have a chance to go myself. Will probably also add some protein, I feel like shrimp would be really good...

I went to yoga today and back feels much better, keeping my doctor's appointment though. I still think physical therapy is a good idea, obviously something is wrong otherwise this wouldn't keep happening. Back permitting I am also going climbing tomorrow night. I got climbing shoes for Christmas and I am super excited to break them in!

I still need to make a plan for weekend food... I don't really have anything going on this weekend so I should have plenty of time to cook.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm going to make this tomorrow for dinner. Not sure what to do about a slaw though. I'll probably try to recreate what you bought from TJ's. I won't have a chance to go myself. Will probably also add some protein, I feel like shrimp would be really good...
It's a really forgiving recipe. I think food-processing/blending half a purple cabbage, half a green cabbage, and some brussels sprouts ought to result in something similar enough. Unless there's some other pre-shredded cabbage blend that you can get from your grocery?

It was great with chicken -- shrimp would probably be good too.

I went to yoga today and back feels much better, keeping my doctor's appointment though. I still think physical therapy is a good idea, obviously something is wrong otherwise this wouldn't keep happening. Back permitting I am also going climbing tomorrow night. I got climbing shoes for Christmas and I am super excited to break them in!
Your back thing is kind of worrisome. :/ Have you had back issues before? Glad you're going to see a doctor about it.

I still need to make a plan for weekend food... I don't really have anything going on this weekend so I should have plenty of time to cook.
Yesss. I also plan on binge-cooking this weekend. Also binge-watching Netflix. And binge-cleaning the house. :laugh:

Also I'm going to try to go to the gym on Saturday.

And I got an app yesterday called Timeful that will hopefully help me out with all my various resolutions (including gym time).

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's a really forgiving recipe. I think food-processing/blending half a purple cabbage, half a green cabbage, and some brussels sprouts ought to result in something similar enough. Unless there's some other pre-shredded cabbage blend that you can get from your grocery?

It was great with chicken -- shrimp would probably be good too.

A food processor is like the only kitchen appliance I do not have. I have a blender, but not quite the same. I will be hand chopping. Or, buying slaw.

Your back thing is kind of worrisome. :/ Have you had back issues before? Glad you're going to see a doctor about it.

I've had back/alignment issues pretty much forever. I kind of lost the genetic lottery. My dad has completely flat feet, and lots of back problems. My mom has knock-knees. Both have really bad posture, my mom kind carries head forward, instead of being in line with her spine.

I have all of these things plus really loose joints, I've sprained both ankles multiple time and my knees and hips are constantly popping. :dry: It's like everything about my body is not built for exercising.

Yesss. I also plan on binge-cooking this weekend. Also binge-watching Netflix. And binge-cleaning the house. :laugh:

Also I'm going to try to go to the gym on Saturday.

And I got an app yesterday called Timeful that will hopefully help me out with all my various resolutions (including gym time).

Yeah, there is definitely Netflix time in my future also. I just found out about another British show called Broadchurch that has a lot of actors from Doctor Who that I love in it. That's going to happen.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A food processor is like the only kitchen appliance I do not have. I have a blender, but not quite the same. I will be hand chopping. Or, buying slaw.
Definitely buy slaw if you can. Saves SO much time.

I've had back/alignment issues pretty much forever. I kind of lost the genetic lottery. My dad has completely flat feet, and lots of back problems. My mom has knock-knees. Both have really bad posture, my mom kind carries head forward, instead of being in line with her spine.

I have all of these things plus really loose joints, I've sprained both ankles multiple time and my knees and hips are constantly popping. :dry: It's like everything about my body is not built for exercising.
Jeez! Well good for you for keeping it up. Yoga sounds like an even better choice for you with all those factors in mind.

Yeah, there is definitely Netflix time in my future also. I just found out about another British show called Broadchurch that has a lot of actors from Doctor Who that I love in it. That's going to happen.
AHH YES GREAT IDEA. I forgot Broadchurch is on Netflix now. My parents have been trying to get me to watch that.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Made the slaw and I am kind of obsessed with it. :wub: Super yummy, filling, and healthy. However, next time I will definitely buy that Trader Joe's slaw mix. So much chopping.

Modifications:
- Added chicken. I marinated it in soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, crushed red pepper. Sliced and sauteed. SO good.
- Used green cabbage (cheaper)
- Added crushed red pepper to peanut sauce
- Added a little avocado when I served it.

Will definitely make this again.

I got a PT referral from my doctor, so assuming I can find one that takes my insurance I will hopefully be starting that this week. I also bought a new yoga mat from REI with a Visa gift card I got for Christmas. Really excited to use it this week. I may have already said this but I got climbing shoes Christmas. I am in LOVE with them. They make smearing (using only the wall's texture as a foothold) so much easier. Going climbing again tonight. I don't know when this happened but somehow I have become a person that shops at REI. I suppose it was inevitable given that I live in Portland. :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Made some pretty mind-blowing ramen!

Half Baked Harvest - Made with Love

Modifications:
- Left out jalapenos, white miso, and most of the lime juice, because I didn't have them lying around
- Used real ramen and not instant ramen
- Substituted dried mushrooms for fresh (since that's what I had around) -- re-hydrated them and added both the mushrooms and the mushroomy water to the broth
- Substituted red curry sauce from Trader Joe's for red curry paste because it turns out I was out of red curry paste

Got enough leftovers for probably the rest of the week! Psyched to have them tonight. Yummm. <3

Also I made a big batch of this and froze it to have next week: Goat Cheese Tomato Soup (with a Grilled Cheese). VERY successful. Will make again. (Froze it without the cream and cheese, and in individual containers. Will add the cream and cheese to each leftover bowl after, because the internet told me that freezing dairy-based soup is bad)

And I've been having this for breakfast: Jon & Erin Stewart: Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
(Next batch, I'm adding less water, because I like thicker smoothies)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Made Chicken and Dumplings last night. So easy, and so yummy. No cream of anything nasty, just some canned chicken broth. Everything else was fresh ingredients. Next time I might make the dumplings with half whole wheat flour.

Modifications I made:
- Only used 2 T of butter
- Added extra thyme
- Omitted dill (yuck). Instead I added dried rosemary and a little shredded parmesan to them (YUM!).
- Didn't cook chicken for a full 20 minutes initially. It was done after 10-15.
- Swapped peas for green beans, added them with the carrots and onions

Will definitely make this again. I shared it with my roommates so I don't have many leftovers. I need to think of something to make on Sunday night to eat during the week.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually worked out this week! Not all that much, but twice is better than not at all. Planning on hitting the gym tomorrow, too, while I wait for my computer battery to be replaced.

A few detail tidbits regarding my exercise attempts:

- Still not ballsy enough to use the weights at the gym (because everyone at my gym is swole as fuck -- seriously, it's so intimidating), but I like the exercise bikes and ideally will attempt some classes later on.

- I like my 15-20 minute bodyweight routine, that I do at home: two sets of 10-15 reps each of sit-ups, crunches, close hand wall push-ups, wide hand wall push-ups, vertical leg lifts, Y-T-I raises, and squats. Even keeping in mind how little I've been exercising recently, I can tell I'm improving on all of these. I think I'm already ready to move on from wall push-ups to incline push-ups. :)

- I've found myself craving running(!!), which isn't something I've ever felt before. The only problems with that are 1) it's too cold, and 2) I only have cross-trainers, because when I went workout shoe shopping last year, literally every running shoe fit me the same kind of wrong way. So I don't think I'll be able to get cheap running shoes, but will instead have to go to a specialty store and get measured/fitted. And spend a ton of money. Anyway, that will probably still happen in the next few months.

- Something else to start when it gets warmer: riding my bike! I barely got a chance to ride it after I got it tuned up in the fall.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Made Chicken and Dumplings last night. So easy, and so yummy. No cream of anything nasty, just some canned chicken broth. Everything else was fresh ingredients. Next time I might make the dumplings with half whole wheat flour.

Modifications I made:
- Only used 2 T of butter
- Added extra thyme
- Omitted dill (yuck). Instead I added dried rosemary and a little shredded parmesan to them (YUM!).
- Didn't cook chicken for a full 20 minutes initially. It was done after 10-15.
- Swapped peas for green beans, added them with the carrots and onions

Will definitely make this again. I shared it with my roommates so I don't have many leftovers. I need to think of something to make on Sunday night to eat during the week.
Ooh, that looks great. Especially as a winter comfort food recipe -- but with less sodium and less fat and a lot more vegetables. Definitely looks like a recipe for #hygge .