• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:thinking: Hm. Same answer goes, I guess. Too much work in the morning.

I wouldn't object to some kind of lean breakfast sausage, though. Something I can put in the microwave.

yeah it wasn't about the bacon, it was instead of protein powder do a different source of protein.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah it wasn't about the bacon, it was instead of protein powder do a different source of protein.
I really should just throw that shit away. But it was $15 and I hate wasting things.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I really should just throw that shit away. But it was $15 and I hate wasting things.

sale it or give it to someone? you probably know someone who uses that stuff. Personally I like the chocolate protein shakes, if I remember to buy them and its more because i don't eat enough in a day so figure that would bump up my caloric intake.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Have you tried mixing it into smoothies? Apparently, you can make pancakes out of it, but that sounds kind of wacky. I'd try searching for different uses for protein powder and see if anything good comes up.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Also! Food plan for this week:

Breakfasts:
  • Not sure yet -- will probably depend on my workout time decision (see above) -- preliminary plan is a banana with peanut butter each morning
Lunches:
Snacks:
  • Lightly salted almonds
Dinners:

Try some regular chocolate milk after your workouts. I thought it was kind of strange at first but it really is the perfect thing to have.

Chocolate Milk May Boost Post-Workout Recovery | Fitness Magazine

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So! Turns out Trader Joe's has a no questions asked, full refund return policy. So I did that! :yesss:

Try some regular chocolate milk after your workouts. I thought it was kind of strange at first but it really is the perfect thing to have.

Chocolate Milk May Boost Post-Workout Recovery | Fitness Magazine
You know, I'd read about this, but was a bit skeptical at first. My initial thought is, would it be enough to fill you up? Would you want to eat a (relatively) big meal before your workout, to keep you from getting hungry after?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So! Turns out Trader Joe's has a no questions asked, full refund return policy. So I did that! :yesss:

You know, I'd read about this, but was a bit skeptical at first. My initial thought is, would it be enough to fill you up? Would you want to eat a (relatively) big meal before your workout, to keep you from getting hungry after?

Trader Joe's is the BEST.

If you are working out in the morning I would just eat a normal breakfast afterwards, as long as you get some protein. I've never been super particular about pre/post workout food. As long as it's healthy, you are hydrated, and you get some protein afterwards I don't think it's a huge deal. If you aren't eating a meal before workout I would say some nuts and lots of water is probably sufficient. If you are hungrier, add some fruit. I think the chocolate milk idea is just a way to get some carbs and protein quick, not really meant to be a meal.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Exercise:
- Went for a jog yesterday, even though I don't normally workout Sundays. The sun was out and it was almost 60 degrees so I couldn't resist. I even made myself jog UP the hills, instead of just down. Usually I end up walking up because I hit them at the end of my run.
- Yoga was brilliant this morning. It was one of those days where I could definitely tell I've made progress. I was able to hold a bind for the full duration of my side angle pose, usually I can only go about half.
15511012282010032403.jpg

^ Bind

Food:
- I was on retreat most of the weekend so I pretty much just had to eat what was in front of me. I think I did fairly well though. I passed on a cinnamon roll :( , and other various bread products and potatoes in favor of fruits and veggies. I did end up eating a waffle and ice cream though. I did a lot more walking, hopefully that helped compensate.
- Today I am making chili with ground turkey, a little bit of chorizo, pinto beans, green bell-pepper, tomatoes, and yellow onion. I will most likely top it with avocado. I'll probably end up eating this for about 3-4 meals and then freezing whatever is left.

This isn't really food or exercise related, but it's definitely health related. I'm committing to mindfulness, or some form of meditation for 10 minutes every day. Basically this will be me existing in silence for 10 minutes either doing some type of breathing or muscle relaxations, or a mindfulness technique that involves focusing on something I've mentally constructed. On yoga days this is built in because we always end with a 10 minute relaxation.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] We should definitely coordinate that meditation thing. Or rather, I'll tag along. We'll see if I have the discipline for it...

Nice work on the rest, btw :cheers: That chili sounds amazing.

------------------------------------------

Side note: Earlier today I mentioned to one of my account teams, at work, that I was starting to eat healthier and go to the gym more. And one of the team members (who's about 27, while I'm 24) looks over at me and goes "Aw, you're becoming an adult!" and starts to talk about how she gained all this weight in college and had to get back into running/eating well once she graduated. And I had no idea what to say, so I didn't say anything.

Really though. "Becoming an adult"?? My parents don't exercise at all (except walking) and are totally out of shape, and they didn't used to eat very well. I went, at 5'6", from 160-165 in middle school to 150 in high school and 145 in college, just by getting over bad eating habits and walking a lot more. (Never did sports in school.) I've gone down from 145 to 140 in the past month or two, thanks to eating better, and smaller portions -- which I taught myself, and had no "adult" precedent for.

Anyway. That was frustrating and demoralizing. But whatever.

Last edited:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] We should definitely coordinate that meditation thing. Or rather, I'll tag along. We'll see if I have the discipline for it...

Nice work on the rest, btw :cheers: That chili sounds amazing.

------------------------------------------

Side note: Earlier today I mentioned to one of my account teams, at work, that I was starting to eat healthier and go to the gym more. And one of them (who's about 27, while I'm 24) looks over at me and goes "Aw, you're becoming an adult!" and starts to talk about how she gained all this weight in college and had to get back into running/eating well once she graduated. And I had no idea what to say, so I didn't say anything.

Really though. "Becoming an adult"?? My parents don't exercise at all (except walking) and are totally out of shape, and they didn't used to eat very well. I went, at 5'6", from 160-165 in middle school to 150 in high school and 145 in college, just by getting over bad eating habits and walking a lot more. (Never did sports in school.) I've gone down from 145 to 140 in the past month or two, thanks to eating better, which I taught myself, and had no "adult" precedent for.

Anyway. That was frustrating and demoralizing. But whatever.

Ugh. That is frustrating. If anything my eating/exercising habits where probably best when I was 16. But, I'm probably happier with my body now due to maturity and just having a more hourglass like distribution.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Milestone (or something): 90% of the time I crave something, it's my BODY that tells me not to stuff my face with it. "You'll feel like shit if you eat too much of that!" Sometimes my mental craving feels sort of defeated, while the rest of me feels fine. I'll eat a couple of bites of it and move on.

It's weird. I'm definitely aware of my body chemistry changing. I feel VERY different.

Also: I haven't been doing well at all with exercise. Too stressed about this job application. Will try to start once it's done (which hopefully will be tonight).

----------------------------------------------

Edit: Also I think I'm going to make these, this weekend:

Recipe: Tomato Cobbler with Cornmeal-Cheddar Biscuits
(using up my leftover cherry tomatoes)

30 Minute Clean Thai Turkey Zucchini Meatballs | iFOODreal
(courtesy of [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]'s Pinterest board! Leaving out the tomato paste -- too much like Italian pasta sauce -- and adding in shallots and some kind of vegetable, maybe broccoli)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Updates:

- I have done my mindfulness every day so far! :yesss: So, that's an accomplishment.

- I have been failing at doing cardio before yoga. It's too cold to run outside now, at least I think it is. And, if I use the gym it throws off my routine. Before I would: wake up -> run -> shower -> go to yoga -> change clothes at school -> go to class. If I go to the gym before I class I: wake up -> go to gym -> go to yoga -> go home and shower -> go back to school. Not nearly as convenient. Oh well. There are only 4 weeks left in the semester anyway. I will establish a better routine next semester, might be rough though because I'm not in the yoga class. Although I may just go to it anyway.

- Still struggling with food. :( Not eating sweets is SO difficult for me. I probably have a legit sugar addiction, but I don't have the mental energy to break it. Too many other things to focus on. It's easier to just eat the cookie and go back to what I was doing then to expend the mental energy necessary to keep myself from eating it. Christmas break is also not a great time to tackle it. Because, Christmas. Also my parent's house is generally full of junk food because my dad and brothers can essentially eat whatever and be fine. I generally limit myself to having a carton of ice cream around. But, I should probably just do away with that. Boo.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]

Good for you re: mindfulness. I haven't done that at all. :doh:

Re: sweets -- what was your sweet limitation again? One sweet thing a day? I don't know if this will help, but in my recent experience getting rid of my sugar addiction, a big part of it was that I had a mental need for sugar at particular times of day (after lunch, after dinner). Once I rid myself of that association/routine (after lunch = time for a few cookies), and noticed how much better I felt without all those sweets, I stopped craving them like I used to -- which made it a lot easier for me to eat them in moderation.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only way for me to go off sweets is to go cold turkey ... but I am a completely all or nothing person.

I don't know how you guys regulate. I have no sense of self-control at all. I see cookie, I eat cookie. Completely incapable of saying no to myself. :doh:

[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]

Good for you re: mindfulness. I haven't done that at all. :doh:

Re: sweets -- what was your sweet limitation again? One sweet thing a day? I don't know if this will help, but in my recent experience getting rid of my sugar addiction, a big part of it was that I had a mental need for sugar at particular times of day (after lunch, after dinner). Once I rid myself of that association/routine (after lunch = time for a few cookies), and noticed how much better I felt without all those sweets, I stopped craving them like I used to -- which made it a lot easier for me to eat them in moderation.

Learning that the end of a meal really was the end of the meal and that there was no dessert to follow was a huge stumbling block for sure.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The only way for me to go off sweets is to go cold turkey ... but I am a completely all or nothing person.

I don't know how you guys regulate. I have no sense of self-control at all. I see cookie, I eat cookie. Completely incapable of saying no to myself. :doh:
SJ power. :solidarity:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Learning that the end of a meal really was the end of the meal and that there was no dessert to follow was a huge stumbling block for sure.

Yeah, I might end up doing that... At least for the two weeks before Thanksgiving. I'm thinking no dessert, except a square or two of dark chocolate. And frozen yogurt on the days I work, which will be 1-2 times a week. Goal will be to substitute unsweetened tea or something after meals.

Unrelated: I've started taking a multi-vitamin and vitamin D. Note to self, taking vitamins and drinking coffee without eating is pretty much instant nausea.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I might end up doing that... At least for the two weeks before Thanksgiving. I'm thinking no dessert, except a square or two of dark chocolate. And frozen yogurt on the days I work, which will be 1-2 times a week. Goal will be to substitute unsweetened tea or something after meals.
You may have a different experience, but I tried to do that "one or two pieces of chocolate" thing, early on, and it didn't work at ALL. The only thing that worked, at least around lunchtime, was going completely cold turkey. Instead I'd have a mint, and/or coffee, and/or a bite of a healthy snack. It sucked for the first 2-3 days, but then the cravings disappeared.

I've started taking a multi-vitamin and vitamin D. Note to self, taking vitamins and drinking coffee without eating is pretty much instant nausea.
Oof, yeah, been there. I also take Vitamin D.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You may have a different experience, but I tried to do that "one or two pieces of chocolate" thing, early on, and it didn't work at ALL. The only thing that worked, at least around lunchtime, was going completely cold turkey. Instead I'd have a mint, and/or coffee, and/or a bite of a healthy snack. It sucked for the first 2-3 days, but then the cravings disappeared.

Yeah, I was thinking cold turkey at lunch. Maybe a little bit of chocolate after dinner. Lots of tea, coffee instead. I get my lunches on campus, so once I've left the cafeteria the option is gone.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Midway through eating trail mix I realized that trail mix has m&ms and m&ms are sugar. Booo. :doh: