• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always been really, really sp-last, as it relates to health mindfulness (in the broadest and most inclusive sense). Meaning, I'm not all that mindful of it at all. Today I took a moment to be a BIT more mindful of it, and realized that I probably give myself low blood sugar pretty regularly! I was at my cube and noticed vaguely, in the back of my mind: "hmm, I feel sort of tingly all over, and not thinking as clearly, and I wonder why?" And then I Googled "low blood sugar" and those fit the criteria. :doh: So I think I give myself low blood sugar like every afternoon at 3-ish and every night that I stay up past 11pm.

Moral of this story: Must Snack More.

You either have a naturally high metabolism, or have conditioned yourself to have one by eating 4-6 times a day.

Your body thinks food is plentiful so will crave food every 3 hours (if that is the case).

That's how it is for me. Freak show metabolism, eat like 6-7 times a day, I always have a powerbar or haha, Ensure with me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You either have a naturally high metabolism, or have conditioned yourself to have one by eating 4-6 times a day.

Your body thinks food is plentiful so will crave food every 3 hours (if that is the case).

That's how it is for me. Freak show metabolism, eat like 6-7 times a day, I always have a powerbar or haha, Ensure with me.
I can usually get away with eating 2-3x per day, I think? But like I said, I haven't been paying much attention til recently.

TBH I think a big part of it is that I've been eating smaller portions and MUCH less dessert. Before I'd have something sugary after lunch AND dinner, and now I have something really small after dinner or I have a beer instead. Wondering if that shift was too abrupt for my body to handle it smoothly?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can usually get away with eating 2-3x per day, I think? But like I said, I haven't been paying much attention til recently.

TBH I think a big part of it is that I've been eating smaller portions and MUCH less dessert. Before I'd have something sugary after lunch AND dinner, and now I have something really small after dinner or I have a beer instead. Wondering if that shift was too abrupt for my body to handle it smoothly?

So you're saying since you started eating less, you're getting more hungry?

Hmmm, it's a mystery.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So you're saying since you started eating less, you're getting more hungry?

Hmmm, it's a mystery.
yeah i dunno what it could be either :shrug: strange phenemonom
:laugh: Sp-lasts be like "hunger isn't the same as low blood sugar, right?"* and "maybe I got low blood sugar before, too" and "I thought low blood sugar was just something that dads get" and "maybe it's the caffeine that's making me buzzy and tingly" and "why doesn't my body adjust automatically, can't I be a robot" &c.

*Should note that when I'm actually hungry, my stomach growls. A LOT. So I don't register it as hunger unless I start to feel stomach discomfort of some kind.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:laugh: Sp-lasts be like "hunger isn't the same as low blood sugar" and "maybe I got low blood sugar before, too" and "maybe it's the caffeine that's making me buzzy and tingly" and "why doesn't my body adjust automatically, can't I be a robot" &c.

see i don't notice hungry until i'm in dangerous mode blood sugar wise. I'll be tired as fuck and coffee isn't doing shit like usually then I'll eat a sandwhich or something and I'll be untired after that. the other night I thought i was gonna faint and was so blah but I didn't know what I wanted so I chugged some orange juice and magically i felt better.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
see i don't notice hungry until i'm in dangerous mode blood sugar wise. I'll be tired as fuck and coffee isn't doing shit like usually then I'll eat a sandwhich or something and I'll be untired after that. the other night I thought i was gonna faint and was so blah but I didn't know what I wanted so I chugged some orange juice and magically i felt better.
Apparently that's where I'm at too, lol!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't understand you people. I practically plan my day around eating. Unless I eat a big/heavy meal I pretty consistently get hungry every 3-4 hours. And if I wait too long to eat I get nauseated. But, my sp manifests really heavily as self-care.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't understand you people. I practically plan my day around eating. Unless I eat a big/heavy meal I pretty consistently get hungry every 3-4 hours. And if I wait too long to eat I get nauseated. But, my sp manifests really heavily as self-care.
That makes sense. My focus on food only ever has to do with the fun and the experience of the food -- treating it like an event. I'm so 7-ish about food, lol. But if I'm really busy/stressed and have a lot to do, I stop thinking about food and only remember when I start to feel weird.

Beorn

Permabanned
Subscribed.

I just started working out and eating better myself this week.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Exercise update! Also kind of a food update, or at least a food update as it relates to exercise.

(PREFACE: I have decided to REALLY commit to exercising 3+ days per week. Super motivated right now. Getting into it, treating it like a project. This blog is really helping me with that btw, so props, [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]!)

1) Several articles told me that I should eat both before and after I work out: something easy to digest beforehand (like a banana or a yogurt parfait), and something high in protein afterwards. My ISTJ roommate, who is also trying to eat healthier and go to the gym more, inspired me to buy protein powder. Which was A HUGE MISTAKE. What I SHOULD have done was try some of his and see if I like it, then buy the same thing. Or something like that. Anyway, instead I impulse-bought a $15 container of Trader Joe's brand vanilla-flavored soy protein. Tried it last night, mixed with milk, and it's pretty awful. Not NyQuil bad, but maybe Pepto-Bismol bad. Or mediocre energy drink bad.

2) This morning I was all set to go to an hour-long spinning class, and then I did some Googling and everyone said "YOU HAVE TO BRING A TON OF WATER BECAUSE YOU'LL SWEAT BUCKETS", and I realized that I don't have a water bottle*. So I stayed home and did this workout from Greatist.

I did the correct number of reps of everything except push-ups**, but 2 sets of each pair instead of three, and totally lost my energy right before the last pair (Superman+fancier plank). That ended up being like 20 minutes instead of 30. Clearly I am a noob at this! So I guess it's good that I didn't take the 60 minute spin class -- better to start with the shorter one on Monday (45 minutes).

I ate a banana before my workout, and by the end of the workout was STARVING. Made a protein shake (with 2 scoops of the protein powder and some frozen fruit -- still tasted bad), and was just about as hungry as I was before. Ended up eating some baked oats I made earlier this week (with apple slices, pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds) to supplement it.

TLDR: This morning's workout experience has NOT helped me decide whether I should work out in the morning or in the evening, which means I'm pretty uncertain about the workout food situation too. Plus, what do I do with this goddamn protein powder? Throw it away? Try to mix it with something to make it less bad? (This looked promising, for example.) Or do I suck it up and chug it like medicine?

*Buying one today!
**Last week I watched a video tutorial and realized that I'd been doing modified pushups with bad form, so this morning I finally had a chance to correct it. And now I can do like half the number I could before. Which is disheartening, but on the other hand I'm one step closer to UNmodified push-ups.

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also! Food plan for this week:

Breakfasts:
  • Not sure yet -- will probably depend on my workout time decision (see above) -- preliminary plan is a banana with peanut butter each morning
Lunches:
Snacks:
  • Lightly salted almonds
Dinners:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
why not eat more bacon?
Serious answer: TBH I've never liked bacon enough to feel like it's worth the hassle of making it, storing/disposing of the grease, etc. I only eat it when other people make it.

Non-serious answer: :irked: YOU ARE A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Serious answer: TBH I've never liked bacon enough to feel like it's worth the hassle of making it, storing/disposing of the grease, etc. I only eat it when other people make it.

Non-serious answer: :irked: YOU ARE A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE

i meant instead of the protein powder.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i meant instead of the protein powder.
:thinking: Hm. Same answer goes, I guess. Too much work in the morning.

I wouldn't object to some kind of lean breakfast sausage, though. Something I can put in the microwave.