• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC and Showbread's Cooking/Exercise Extravaganza!

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm considering altering my diet quite a bit. I've been considering embracing a plant based whole foods diet for awhile now but haven't because it sounds like SO much work. If I went hardcore this would involve cutting out:

- Wheat
- All animal products
- Any refined grain
- Any refined sugar
- Fish

I may try to do it in baby steps, cutting out each of those groups one at a time. Maybe even taking an 80/20 approach as well. This would be a HUGE undertaking. But, it's been something I've been considering since I watched Forks Over Knives 2 years ago.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm considering altering my diet quite a bit. I've been considering embracing a plant based whole foods diet for awhile now but haven't because it sounds like SO much work. If I went hardcore this would involve cutting out:

- Wheat
- All animal products
- Any refined grain
- Any refined sugar
- Fish

I may try to do it in baby steps, cutting out each of those groups one at a time. Maybe even taking an 80/20 approach as well. This would be a HUGE undertaking. But, it's been something I've been considering since I watched Forks Over Knives 2 years ago.

no you might as well just not eat and die if you're gonna do that.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no you might as well just not eat and die if you're gonna do that.
TBH that was my first thought.

Seriously though: Why get rid of so much? As I understand it, the diet with the most science to back it up is a balanced diet: mostly plants, with some grains and some protein sources. Minimal bad fats, minimal dessert-based sugars. No full-on elimination. No deprivation.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm just feeling kind of like my mom right now. I don't feel like cooking much. I think I'm just going to make some soup. I just want to drink a beer every day after I get home, so there's that similarity also. Do you folks have any tips for getting me interested in cooking again?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

- Wheat
- All animal products
- Any refined grain
- Any refined sugar
- Fish

Been there done that (or something similar). If you're the sort of person who enjoys researching your food, planning meals in advance, spending hours upon hours at the market, enjoy exactly zero junk/fast food and have the exceptional focus, cooking aid, or excess time to manage it all, go for it.

It didn't work for me because it was moderately expensive (you're basically only eating produce and certain legumes), was inconvenient in a college environment, and severely limited the flexibility of being able to walk into the kitchen and whip up a meal on the spot.

Perhaps your in a better position for it though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, now that I FINALLY don't have a cold/flu/fever/aches and pains, and FINALLY don't have a million and one things to do, I've started cooking things and exercising again! After over a week of sitting around and eating canned soup and Lean Cuisine. :dont:

Once I made two easy recipes (curry egg drop soup, and my favorite egg bake), I decided to celebrate my return to the cooking world by making one of my favorite cold weather comfort foods: Moroccan spiced sweet potato shepherd's pie -- without chickpeas and with 80% lean ground beef. Amazing as always.

The rest of my menu for the week:
- More of those egg bakes
- My favorite baked oats recipe, with apples, raisins, and walnuts
- Breakfast for dinner: baked acorn squash with Greek yogurt, honey, and any remaining walnuts
- Something with black beans and salsa, because I have leftover salsa and black beans from making chilaquiles for my roommate and her fiancee over the weekend. Maybe I'll make single serving chilaquiles just for me?

I also went for a run for the first time in several weeks, with my new running shoes... and my legs started hurting again. :dry: My new theory on this is that since I've started listening to Spotify running playlists and have started running in time to music, I've been hitting the concrete too hard with each step. So I'm going to do some yoga, use the ol' foam roller on my thighs for a bit, and try again without running exactly in time to music. Hopefully that will help. If not, then I'll start worrying about IT band syndrome.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Next food mission: finding some durian. I've never had it before and it's on my bucket list so I'm gonna carpe the hell out of this diem.

Where To Buy Fresh Durian | The Kitchn

Good excuse for me to schlep over to the Asian market. I'd wanted to make my (bi)monthly curry paste run, anyway. Plus I could buy Thai eggplants for said curries. And maybe pork belly for Vietnamese vermicelli noodle bowls. Oh my god, so many options. :heart:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Next food mission: finding some durian. I've never had it before and it's on my bucket list so I'm gonna carpe the hell out of this diem.

Good excuse for me to schlep over to the Asian market. I'd wanted to make my (bi)monthly curry paste run, anyway. Plus I could buy Thai eggplants for said curries. And maybe pork belly for Vietnamese vermicelli noodle bowls. Oh my god, so many options. :heart:

I'll be... umm... interested to hear what you think of Durian. Even in candy or ice cream form... too much for me!

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Durian is a common local food here and a sort of initiation/hazing process for expats. :wink: I'd advise:
- eat it on newspaper sheets to throw out.. as far away from your house/apartment as possible, or outside the door of a neighbour you dislike
- if you buy it in the shell, keep the shell and run water over the inside, using that to wash your hands afterwards. That apparently reduces the smell.
- drink lots of water after, eat blueberries or other anti-inflammatory foods because the glycaemic index is really high so it causes inflammation

Lots of locals (including my family) love it, but I've stopped eating it because of the sugar/inflammation.. and the lingering smell. It's so bad that they've banned carrying it on public transport here. :D Do update, I am curious to see what you think of it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=5076]nonsequitur[/MENTION] [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] I think there's a 75% chance I'll like it, because my dad loves it (he lived in Thailand and the Philippines for a while) and there's a 75% chance I'll like any weird food he likes. (Seymour, it was actually my dad's favorite ice cream flavor when he was abroad!)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=5076]nonsequitur[/MENTION] [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] I think there's a 75% chance I'll like it, because my dad loves it (he lived in Thailand and the Philippines for a while) and there's a 75% chance I'll like any weird food he likes. (Seymour, it was actually my dad's favorite ice cream flavor when he was abroad!)

You are brave. I saw it on an episode of Chopped once and all the chefs complained about having to cook with it.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I was born in Thailand (although not genetically Thai). I still understand why hotels in Thailand often have a "no durian" sign.

Update: [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] I think it smells a little like rotting meat, but different enough that that's not really an accurate description. Definitely not like poo.

á´…eparted

passages
You are brave. I saw it on an episode of Chopped once and all the chefs complained about having to cook with it.

Every time I hear of it I hear someone saying it smells like rot or poo. I... don't get the appeal.

Never seen or smelled it in person though so it's difficult to say as if people like it, there *has* to be some kind of goodness about it?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Those sound like they would be AMAZING if you did something to make the potato spicy... But, that's just me. We all know that I like just about everything to be spicy. ;)

I have been faithfully rock climbing twice a week for the last few months and have actually gotten moderately good at it! Next order of business on that agenda is learning to lead climb which I want to do SO BAD! I'm skilled enough for class at the rock where I climb, but climbing partner/boyfriend is not quite there yet. You need to be very solidly a 10c/d climber, he sometimes still struggles on 10a/b. Oh, and if you are interested in what that means: Guide to rock climbing grades.

Unfortunately, my back is not thrilled about the climbing. I really need to do more physical therapy, but I won't have insurance that covers it until January. So, I have to keep waiting. I stopped going in July because it was too expensive.

For food, I've been trying to do less meat. I was pretty successful last week, this week has been a different story. However, I did make Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup. I loosely followed this recipe, which is vegan. I doubled the all the vegetables, including canned tomatoes, and left out one of the cans of white beans. Next time I will add some extra broth to make it soupier, all the extra veggies made it pretty chunky.

Tonight I am making a vegan stir fry, but not really using a recipe. It will include:

- Frozen green beans
- Carrots
- Zucchini
- Mushrooms
- Ginger
- Rice noodles
- Scallions
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Chili powder
- Rice vinegar
- Almonds (forgot to buy cashews)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tried durian popsicles!

It's important to note that because they are popsicles, they don't smell like anything. Because the smell is a non-issue, when I tried it, I didn't see what the fuss was about. Yes it tastes a bit rotten, but not significantly more than mango IMO. It was like if you crossed mango with pineapple, and made it more... musty? It didn't gross me out at all. I liked it fine. Probably won't actively seek it out again, unless it's to try the actual fruit.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Verdicts:

I bought durian popsicles, and they were actually... pretty good. Like if you combined mango and pineapple and made it more aftertaste-y and kind of funky. I'm definitely not throwing the popsicles away, but will eat the rest of them when it's more seasonally appropriate.

The kimchi ramen was good! I accidentally doubled the amount of kimchi, so it was VERY potent, but I'm excited to remedy that when I eat the leftovers tomorrow. (Side note: I loved making the homemade broth. It made me want to start saving veggie scraps to make my own broth more often.)

The tortellini soup was pretty underwhelming, for the amount of work involved. But then again, I've found that most pasta+cheese+red sauce recipes tend to underwhelm me unless I add something bitter to counteract the sweet and savory. So I added some frozen spinach, and it was a LOT better. (Would not make again, though. Too much work.)

[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] you were right that the sweet potatoes were amazing with extra spice. I added a lot of sriracha tabasco, and they were SO GOOD.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
12299188_10153465129758800_4586477161874009945_n.jpg

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Belated New Year's Resolution: Eat more in keeping with the "plate" (i.e. the replacement for the food pyramid): more veggies and fruit and protein relative to pasta/wheat/grain. And hopefully wean myself off desserts, for the most part. I know that when you eat them less, you crave them less. And I only really eat them when they're around anyway. So best not to keep them around.

Related: This Is What 200 Calories Worth Of Different Foods Looks Like