• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Science proves that your mind can heal

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

The placebo effect is perceived as an annoyance and something which must be factored into the experimental design of traditional medical research.

But, what if it should be the cure being studied instead?

Chthonic

I'm not surprised by this revelation at all. I've been experimenting with exerting influence over my body with the mind alone for many years. When you consider that all healing is a metabolic process then of course the mind is instrumental in that process. Now if only we could get to the point of consciously running a mind program with the objective of healing from a trauma on the body. It would be more than a little awesome to go Oh shit, I've got an artery leaking here. Hang on a minute.......nope all fixed. ;)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm reading a book on this topic right now. It's believed that many of the faith healings are the direct result of the placebo effect. Conversely, voodoo curses can kill you if you believe it. Mental will power probably explains why married couples frequently die within months of each other.

There are many, many examples of both the placebo and nocebo effect curing and killing people. I'll try to list some of the more interesting ones as I read the book.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm reading a book on this topic right now. It's believed that many of the faith healings are the direct result of the placebo effect. Conversely, voodoo curses can kill you if you believe it. Mental will power probably explains why married couples frequently die within months of each other.

There are many, many examples of both the placebo and nocebo effect curing and killing people. I'll try to list some of the more interesting ones as I read the book.

The question is then, to my mind, what if we all believe in something? Do we get the Dark City effect whereby we impact and spike reality with certain mind-field effects or is that something we are evolving towards as a species - a collective mind force to alter our physical reality and heal disease.

Chthonic

The question is then, to my mind, what if we all believe in something? Do we get the Dark City effect whereby we impact and spike reality with certain mind-field effects or is that something we are evolving towards as a species - a collective mind force to alter our physical reality and heal disease.

Sigil magic works on this principle actually. Forget the magic aspect for a minute, it's simply an effective way to program the mind into thoughts it would normally reject. You can google it to find out the how-to. But basically you take an affirmation then make it unrecognisable to the conscious mind by creating a symbol out of it. Then burn that symbol into the subconscious during a heightened energetic state. Most people report it is extremely effective. The trouble with things like affirmation is that the conscious mind rejects the affirmation by referencing what the person knows to be true right now. Fail. Sigils get around this by turning that statement into something the conscious mind does not recognise and therefore cannot effectively reject. How do you reject a picture?

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Sigil magic works on this principle actually. Forget the magic aspect for a minute, it's simply an effective way to program the mind into thoughts it would normally reject. You can google it to find out the how-to. But basically you take an affirmation then make it unrecognisable to the conscious mind by creating a symbol out of it. Then burn that symbol into the subconscious during a heightened energetic state. Most people report it is extremely effective. The trouble with things like affirmation is that the conscious mind rejects the affirmation by referencing what the person knows to be true right now. Fail. Sigils get around this by turning that statement into something the conscious mind does not recognise and therefore cannot effectively reject. How do you reject a picture?

This is genius. I never thought about this once. You are right though about the fact that the mind rejects affirmations or considers them to "dull" but now I see it as not full or 3d like a symbol which is actually 11d.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
GarrotTheThief said:
Do we get the Dark City effect whereby we impact and spike reality with certain mind-field effects or is that something we are evolving towards as a species - a collective mind force to alter our physical reality and heal disease.

I don't think the effect will be very dramatic. In Dean Radin's "The Conscious Universe", he describes how random number generators become less random during global events where lots of people are focused on something (e.g. the Superbowl, the Oscars) at the same time. The so-called "home court advantage" in sports might be related to this effect as well. There are studies that show prayer having a positive effect on the sick; that's probably the same effect as well.

corpseparty

Enneagram
7w6
I know the point of science is to validate postulations in a systematic way in order to justify them, but it is difficult for me to believe that it took this much time to realize and prove one of the most basic facts of all reality, again.

It's all gray area.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah this is how faith works (at least from a non deist pov) ...I mean if shock kills people, why wouldn't real faith heal them.

The problem is that the actual patient has to believe. Like if seventeen people pray for you, but you don't believe it will work, I can't say how much good it does, other than to raise the general conciousness around the patient.

I know that when I go to Korean spas I tend to have healing occur and even deep insights, all from things like sitting in hot tubs of mugwort and saunas full of negative ions from charcoal and sea salt, and massage. Whether it's the treatment itself or placebo effects (probably a bit of both) it really seems to work for me.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
From "You Are the Placebo" by Joe Dispenza:

There was a Harvard study of 84 hotel maids. They were divided into 2 groups. One group was told that they got enough exercise just doing their jobs; the other group was told nothing. After 1 month, the first group lost an average of 2 pounds, lowered the percentage of body fat, and lowered their systolic blood pressure by 10 pts. The group that was told nothing remained unchanged.

Mind-set Matters: Exercise and the Placebo Effect

This study suggests that having awareness alone can influence health.