• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

post your home remedies for colds

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Couch, blanket, bed pillow, coloring book, min. 24 pack crayola crayons, and grilled cheese with tomato soup.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hot water with honey, lemon, cinnamon and a tbsp or two of apple cider vinegar.

Three to five cloves of raw garlic chopped up in raw honey with a dash of cayenne pepper (eat 2 X a day, by the spoonful, do not chew or you are in for one nasty surprise).

Kombucha

All of these things can help you avoid unnecessary antibiotics when you have a virus or even a milder bacterial illness, if you catch it early enough.

Chicken broth apparently has actually been proven effective in treating viral illness as well, it's not a myth, if you eat chicken.

Avoid day quil that shit will dry you out and keep you sicker longer...moderate amounts of alcohol can help kill germs, but drinking too much compromises your immune system.

Get lots of rest, drink orange juice or take vitamin supplements.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think prpl tends to be an easy barfer. Sometimes my daughter (also an easy barfer) will have trouble keeping food down with a particularly nasty cold. The snot dripping back down her throat gags her, I think.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took dayquil but I'm still sneezing like crazy (and it's worse cuz it flies out my nose but then swings back around and lands in my face) and my throat is sort of sore. I know lemon honey tea for the throat, but I still need to stop sneezing

plus this might be a good reference for people in the future.

Dude, you're freak'n hilarious!

Lemons are good, but I go with fresh limes (they're a natural analgesic). Gargling with salt water is also a good idea. On that end, keep your mouth super clean! If you just had a cold with no sore throat, I'd say fight it with time/rest/nutrition, but the sore throat gets tricky. And you're a female. Do you have a fever? If it's something like strep, and it goes untreated with an antibiotic, the sore throat may heal, but the bacteria will travel to the mitral valve in your heart (it loves it there); next thing you know, years later, you develop a heart murmer and it turns into mitral valve disease. Pay attention. If your joints are getting sore, or any of that, see your doc!

Simple cold? Scratchy stuff going on? Sleep it off, if you can sit still long enough. You can pick up medicinal cold teas for cheap. (Try not to do the OTC meds; they just suppress symptoms and might even keep you sicker longer)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have a routine when I feel the first signs of it:
- Drink at least 64 oz of water that day, and the day after it. I might even end up with a liter of water when I'm done.
- Take a tea of ginger, lemon, and some airborne/emegency c stuff twice that day.
- A nice, long shower... washing my hands real good to start with, then saline-rinsing out my nose, gargling hydrogen peroxide, brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash, washing carefully around my eyes and washing the skin on them away with lots of water, a gentle rag, and soap, and then washing my hands again and washing the rest of my body really good.
- Throat drops.
- Humidifier.
- Soup and rest for dinner.

Usually that knocks it out pretty good. If it doesn't, I just use regular day-quil and symptom-management medicine like numbing throat sprays and humidifiers and saline whenever I start to feel stuffed up. I don't bother with elderberry and stuff like that, I didn't find it helped as much as washing really good and it's way more expensive than throat drops which tend to have the same shit in them.