• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How long can you write before your hand cramps up?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This happens to me often, and I'm starting to think that my hands have really poor endurance. I've found my hand hurting around what I conjecture to be 250 words in 30 minutes. That seems to me like way too little writing to cause pain. So is it? Can most people write more without trouble? If so, what's my problem?

And when I say writing, I really mean writing only. Typing is excluded. I have no problems with typing.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
six seconds

usually my brain gives out before my hand

writing is an arduous task for me...

Mole

Permabanned
We might as well ask how long can we write before our mind cramps up. For there are two ways of writing: in the first, we write the words, and in the second, the words write us.

When the words write us, time disappears, we enter flow, and we are surprised by what we write.

When we write the words, we push them, we coerce the words, naturally they don't like it, and express themselves in cramped hands or a cramped mind, a writer's block.

All we need to do is fall in love with the words, then the words fall in love with us.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I doubt you don't have a problem, it's just a matter of strength. When I was in college, I wrote for several hours each day without even noticing it. Nowadays, I spend a lot of time typing, and rarely write more than a few notes - and I definitely notice anything more than a few sentences at a time. I wouldn't worry about anything unless you work at it for a while and don't notice any improvement.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I always had problems with my hand muscles in elementary school i wore Cando Hand Weight hated it and tried to get away with not wearing it (i was already ridiculed for being odd for other reasons). eventually in 5th grade the teacher was like just type your homework. I think i was doing handwriting work for a 2nd/3rd grader so i can't write a lot ever by hand and it hurts to do so.

not the exact one I had it was the 90s and apparently the design is different. it could be your out of practice :shrug: because if i don;t hand write for awhile i can't do as much as if i'm writing more than once or twice a week.and 250 words is a lot to write out by hand imo

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's probably the beginnings of arthritis. I have the same problem but I can usually write 2 full pages before my hands become sore. I also can't rake leaves for any length of time.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't take very long for me.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I press relatively hard on the paper and write a lot for school, so fairly often. I have to stretch my fingers before I play the piano otherwise they feel like they're being pushed back into my hand. I crack my knuckles by pushing my fingers back quite a bit if that has anything at all to do with it.

AngularVelocity

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wrote eleven pages in 2 hours the other week. My hand cramped by page 1.. it's kind of sad. To be honest, I think it's about conditioning your hand to do it. I haven't written like that in well over a year.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It's probably the beginnings of arthritis. I have the same problem but I can usually write 2 full pages before my hands become sore. I also can't rake leaves for any length of time.

This. I do try to write often just to keep my handwriting legible but I can't do it for long. We have 14 trees so I just quit raking and bought the most powerful leaf blower I could find.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes I can write for a while without feeling sore but sometimes it hurts when I'm halfway through the first sentence. I can only assume I'm somehow holding my pen differently at times, but I haven't figured out how/when/why. This also only happens with skinnier pens - chubby pens and drawing tablet pens are comfortable.