• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weight lifters, strength trainers, and body builders. Raise your hand.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Alright. I'm curious if there are any other people, guys and girls, that are lifting weights. It's hard to be on the body building forum and the MBTI forum all the time.

I hoping to find some lifters here that I can befriend :)
Alright! Where are you??

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3x a week.

It's slow going.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nice! So do you have a 3-day split routine or do you do full-body workouts on each of your workout days?

edit: Oh, and how long have you been lifting?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Off and on for years.

I had to give up my weight bench when I moved in '02. So now it's a pulley machine and a ton of push ups, pull ups, and hand weights.

It's a split routine.

I skipped it today to get into work early. Eh, I'll do it tomorrow (legs and back).

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Off and on for years.

I had to give up my weight bench when I moved in '02. So now it's a pulley machine and a ton of push ups, pull ups, and hand weights.

It's a split routine.

I skipped it today to get into work early. Eh, I'll do it tomorrow (legs and back).

Good deal, MacG. We'll hafta compare notes in further detail soon.
I'm on a 4-day split routine.

I've been at it since February this year and I've gained about 15 pounds (all n00b gains). But I'm LOVING the structure it provides in my daily routine and diet. I think it feeds my J-genes.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm not super serious with it and have trouble keeping a consistent routine but I enjoy the gym. Heavy weight(for me)/low reps.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Heavy weight(for me)/low reps.

Same here.

So what kinda compound lifts are you guys doing?

My big lifts are:
romanian deadlifts 275lbs
rack pulls 285 lbs
weighted chin-ups/pull-ups (body weight + 35)
squats 240 lbs
incline/flat bench 160
clean and press 100

I'm 5'5'' and am hovering around 145 lbs-ish. My chest/shoulders are my weakest muscle groups because of a rotator-cuff injury almost a year ago.

My before pictures are ridiculous - I was so skinny.
I'm part way through a cut right now and am trying to hold on to as much of my hard-earned muscle as I can.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I do, I work out at home. I mostly do body weight exercises for upper body, using a chin-dip-leg raise tower but I do use weights for my quads,hams,calves. I've got a Yukon Angled Leg Press I use for my quads and calves with 415 lbs. of Olympic weights not counting the bar (460) ,5-75 lb. Hex Bell set and I don't bar squat. I've got an Olympic weight bench but the only thing I use it for is the Leg Extension/Leg Curl apparatus, also have a 45 degree hyper-extension and treadmill.My goals are for fitness and endurance.
494-2m.jpg
y-alp-150.jpg
PAAAAAOOFHEPGLDG.jpg
ST-45.jpg
Sole-F85-Treadmill.jpg

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's a nice setup you got going, Werewolfen :yes:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'm getting back into it as well going three times a week to weight/muscle classes. I've been thinking about working with a personal trainer (again) but hate committing and having someone push me. I also do lots of cardio (spinning, arc trainer and elliptical).

As for the bulking up I'm sure you know that you would need to consume a lot of carbs and protein to bulk up. My mom is always telling me to be careful not to get too muscular and I always remind her that would be impossible unless I were to eat certain foods.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm getting back into it as well going three times a week to weight/muscle classes. I've been thinking about working with a personal trainer (again) but hate committing and having someone push me. I also do lots of cardio (spinning, arc trainer and elliptical).
I like girls that aren't afraid to lift weights. :nice: Girls that are afraid probably don't understand how nutrition and hypertrophy work.
As for the bulking up I'm sure you know that you would need to consume a lot of carbs and protein to bulk up. My mom is always telling me to be careful not to get too muscular and I always remind her that would be impossible unless I were to eat certain foods.

Lol. Yea. I was eating soooo much food when I was bulking. It's been a chore eating 6 times a day and I'm enjoying eating less carbs now that I'm cutting. Still eating about 200g of protein a day though.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, I used to be 180 lbs (15% body fat) back in high school but then I injured my rotator cuff and lost all the muscle mass. After many years in college and then a surgery to repair my shoulder, I was down to 140 lbs (7% body fat). I am 5'10" and currently at 145 lbs (7% body fat), I started doing simple body weight routines every other day back in April and have gained five pounds.

Back in the day, it was very easy for me to bulk up but now it just seems impossible. This shoulder surgery has really destroyed my chest and thats what I have been mainly focusing on. When I first started rehabing it, I was able to only do 2 sets of 10 push ups and I would be screaming. Now I am at about 3 sets of 50 push ups with 2 minute rests in between a day. I don't do any leg routines but that is due to the fact that I bike everywhere (over 20 miles a day). I just make sure to keep my bike on the heaviest gears all the time, but now I am so used to it, I think I will need to start squats to see any difference. I don't do any other exercises except curls and that is just with free weight dumb bells. I am now at 40 lbs 3 sets of 20 (2 minute rest, I need longer than most to rest). Chinups I started at 3 after the surgery, now I am up to 3 sets of 25 (body weight).

I don't know much about weight lifting anymore, because the stuff that worked back in high school don't seem to be producing results, and personally I don't like going to the gym (too many meat heads there). I eat like shit, so that needs to change if I want to see a real body transformation, (2 or 3 meals a day, but really shitty nasty food like a king size number one at burger king with 2 crispy tacos).

Any advice, on how to get motivated or maybe clean up my method. Personally, even the timing of the work outs is sloppy, if I am too sore, I will skip a day or two, and then get back on it. Mainly I just want my chest back, thats really all.

EDIT: My surgery was aprroximately a year and a half ago.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Hmm. Most of the stuff I do is calisthenics or general body weight stuff. Im about 185 lbs and 8% bodyfat, 6'. I don't do the whole scheduling/dieting/rub myself down with oompa loompa paint thing. I just make it a point to do something different and invigorating about 5 times a week so I don't plateu out.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
The only time I've had success lifting is when I've had a gym membership. When I tried to do it at home, I procrastinated too much. When I drive to a gym, I'm much more focused and feel like I wasted my time if I don't complete my workout (so I always complete it).

Unfortunately, I haven't lifted seriously in about a year (girlfriend, then moving, then broken arm broke my routine and I never got back on it). I'll be starting up again this fall because I'll have access to a gym for free. :D

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I used to be 180 lbs (15% body fat) back in high school but then I injured my rotator cuff and lost all the muscle mass. After many years in college and then a surgery to repair my shoulder, I was down to 140 lbs (7% body fat). I am 5'10" and currently at 145 lbs (7% body fat), I started doing simple body weight routines every other day back in April and have gained five pounds.

Back in the day, it was very easy for me to bulk up but now it just seems impossible. This shoulder surgery has really destroyed my chest and thats what I have been mainly focusing on. When I first started rehabing it, I was able to only do 2 sets of 10 push ups and I would be screaming. Now I am at about 3 sets of 50 push ups with 2 minute rests in between a day. I don't do any leg routines but that is due to the fact that I bike everywhere (over 20 miles a day). I just make sure to keep my bike on the heaviest gears all the time, but now I am so used to it, I think I will need to start squats to see any difference. I don't do any other exercises except curls and that is just with free weight dumb bells. I am now at 40 lbs 3 sets of 20 (2 minute rest, I need longer than most to rest). Chinups I started at 3 after the surgery, now I am up to 3 sets of 25 (body weight).

I don't know much about weight lifting anymore, because the stuff that worked back in high school don't seem to be producing results, and personally I don't like going to the gym (too many meat heads there). I eat like shit, so that needs to change if I want to see a real body transformation, (2 or 3 meals a day, but really shitty nasty food like a king size number one at burger king with 2 crispy tacos).

Any advice, on how to get motivated or maybe clean up my method. Personally, even the timing of the work outs is sloppy, if I am too sore, I will skip a day or two, and then get back on it. Mainly I just want my chest back, thats really all.

EDIT: My surgery was aprroximately a year and a half ago.

I could give you a link to the body building forum I have a journal on. It's got my workout routine on it if you're interested.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
I could give you a link to the body building forum I have a journal on. It's got my workout routine on it if you're interested.

Hook it up.

I have a question for you about your shoulder, did you do the surgery also?

Also, has the injury affected your bench press and other pectoralis and shoulder involved workouts?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
yup I Just started like a couple months ago taking it semi serious(consistently doing excercise at least twice a week usually 4). I got an account on bodybuilding.com and I found it was really informative and it actually in a round about sort of way got me interested in a lot of the sciences because of the nutrition and exercise aspect.

Im 5'8 moderately skinny not as skinny as you but still def trying to pack on the weight, which is a lot harder than it seems it really makes you appreciate the work that people who are in great shape put in. Like you said it adds a certain structure to your life and necessitates a decent work ethic if you want to make any sort of progress.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hook it up.

I have a question for you about your shoulder, did you do the surgery also?

Also, has the injury affected your bench press and other pectoralis and shoulder involved workouts?

You got it. I'll send you the link separately from the routine I do. If you have any questions, we can use that to talk over (less clicking through pages).

I got x-rays done on my left shoulder after I hurt it in September last year. There was no way I could afford an MRI and the docs said there was no muscular damage.

They concluded that I was suffering from 'rotator stress'. I went to two different rehab guys and they both had me do stuff with the big rubber bands. I was out of the gym for a solid 5 months.

When I went back into the gym, yeah, I had lost a lot of strength but I gained it back quickly. My back and my legs are my strongest muscles because, I too, am still weak in my pecs and delts. The only things I know to do are stretch before workouts, take my vitamins, and eat a lot of food so my muscles can perform the hypertrophy I'm demanding of them.

Sounds like you've already recovered a lot of your fundamental strength with those pushups and pullups.